Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2022, 11:46   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hi. I wanted to know why does Honda City use array type headlights as compared to others who use projectors. Are arrays more advanced?
No arrays are not better compared to projector type headlight units. Arrays are just a lot cheaper and hence manufacturers tend to use them. If you see the new Honda City lights, they cause a tremendous amount of glare to oncoming cars and are blinding. The best focus with leds can be achieved only with Projector based headlight units. With Projector lens based systems the light beam is well focused and light is thrown exactly where required and with minimum scatter and glare.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 13:24   #497
BHPian

[quote=sarav100;5298110]I’m attaching below the comparison pictures of LED vs halogen in projectors.

Car: Hyundai Creta S 2020
Stock Headlight specs: HB3 Halogens in halogen projectors 60/55w
LED Specs: GVAA HB3 6000K LED 45w(claimed, not tested)
Setup: Aftermarket LED in passenger side headlight, stock halogen in driver side headlight
Additional notes: Same HB3 projectors used in Verna, i20, Venue, Seltos, hence results applied to all these vehicles as well.

Please find below detailed shots of performance during a cold winter evening.]

Hi - What is the outcome of this exercise? Are you saying the LEDs are performing well compared to the stock halogens? am looking for something similar for my Venue.
Old 17th November 2022, 18:13   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Hi - What is the outcome of this exercise? Are you saying the LEDs are performing well compared to the stock halogens? am looking for something similar for my Venue.
Stock halogens have a wider area of coverage while aftermarket LEDs have a narrow beam covering only the road in front of car. That being said, the LED’s beam is significantly bright and sharp due to being accumulated in a narrow area and hence travels long distance when used in high beam mode. Do make sure to use fogs to compensate for the lost width of the beam though when using LED high beams.

Hence, if your driving involves lots of night highway driving at decent speeds, go for LEDs as they are way more effective in high beam along with fog lights. However, keep keep a note of the following precautions:
  1. Please dip the high beams to low beams when using LEDs as their narrow, bright beam is very harsh on oncoming traffic. Practice the same when overtaking the vehicle in front of you in order to avoid filling their cabin with too much backlight.
  2. LEDs are a disastrous failure if you encounter foggy weather. Halogens all the way in foggy weather. I literally have to follow the vehicle in front of me at a safe distance if encounter foggy weather.
  3. Every aftermarket LEDs structure is different. This review is specific to GVAA HB3 LEDs and does not represent other brand LEDs performance. Others might perform better if their beam pattern is better or worse if they scatter too much light.
sarav100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 12:43   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
Stock halogens have a wider area of coverage while aftermarket LEDs have a narrow beam covering only the road in front of car. That being said, the LED’s beam is significantly bright and sharp due to being accumulated in a narrow area and hence travels long distance when used in high beam mode. Do make sure to use fogs to compensate for the lost width of the beam though when using LED high beams.
[/list]
Thank you. Am aware of some of these things. Hopefully this LED we are talking about fits in the Venue as well i guess (HB3 9005). Is this the same spec you have on the Creta as well? I would be more inclined to something in 4300K range rather than 6000+K though.
Old 18th November 2022, 18:46   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Thank you. Am aware of some of these things. Hopefully this LED we are talking about fits in the Venue as well i guess (HB3 9005). Is this the same spec you have on the Creta as well? I would be more inclined to something in 4300K range rather than 6000+K though.
Yes, Venue and Creta Halogen projectors spec is HB3 9005 only. LEDs in 4300K colour temperature and good quality are a rare commodity. I had to settle with 6500K since I couldn’t find 4500/5500 K anywhere for demo. Ideally 55w HID is the best upgrade for halogen projectors but then you lose crucial headlight flashing ability.
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:10   #501
BHPian

My Duster Turbo has poor headlight throw and it's real challenge to drive once head lights are switched on.

Did some window shopping and found there are Halogens, LEDs and HIDs. Which one is better and works in all weather type ?

LED bulbs of same power 55w+55w as stock Halogen was recommended - don't LED cause excess heat dissipation ? Also changing everything (high low and fog) to LED makes sense or just one is enough ?

I don't want to blind oncoming traffic or flood light in to cabin of vechile ahead of me ?

Or simple anti reflecting film on windshield would improve night drive.

Please advice.
Old 22nd November 2022, 23:17   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
Or simple anti reflecting film on windshield would improve night drive.

Please advice.
It is a known issue with Duster, i would suggest you to look at HID foglamps there are several threads on it and you will not be disappointed at the end.

HID's are only recommended if your vehicle has projectors as without projectors the beam tends to scatters on the road, you could try LED's but i think it would be wiser to spend 7 to 8k and get the projector foglamps fitted instead and leave the headlights as it is. I myself am in the process of getting projector foglamps.

Last edited by revvharder : 22nd November 2022 at 23:24.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 11:30   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
It is a known issue with Duster, i would suggest you to look at HID foglamps there are several threads on it and you will not be disappointed at the end.
Yes read through @vsrivatsav thread. Thanks for sharing it.

Quote:
HID's are only recommended if your vehicle has projectors as without projectors the beam tends to scatters on the road, you could try LED's but i think it would be wiser to spend 7 to 8k and get the projector foglamps fitted instead and leave the headlights as it is. I myself am in the process of getting projector foglamps.
I don't think Duster Turbo has projector setup either for Headlight or Fogs. So you are saying this HID kit from Blaze India works better only with Projector setup and not normal ones ?

How much would be cost in total for Projector setup and HID kit ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th November 2022, 01:22   #504
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think Duster Turbo has projector setup either for Headlight or Fogs. So you are saying this HID kit from Blaze India works better only with Projector setup and not normal ones ?

How much would be cost in total for Projector setup and HID kit ?

Thanks in advance.
Actually what i meant was HID Bulbs should be fitted only to cars which have projectors as i have seen several karol bagh shops fitting HID in normal headlamps, Duster indeed came with normal headlights.

I recommend installing projector fog lamps instead of fitting LED bulbs in the headlights as good quality led bulbs will set you back by 3k to 5k and the increment in light won't be much as Duster suffers from poor reflector design and it is a known issue which is discussed even in Dacia forums internationally.

The kit that Vsrivatsa sir has fitted is a complete projector fog lamp kit which blaze india is providing which includes projector, 5500k/6000k HID bulbs, Ballasts and other smaller tidbits which as of date is costing Rs.7500 with warranty, in case of individual component failure it can be procured separately via him or in aftermarket.
He is also offering Bi-LED fog lamps costing Rs.8200 with warranty and he is claiming it's life of around 7 to 10 years but if it fails out of warranty the individual foglamp will need to be replaced and it looks like the product is same as in this thread https://team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo...ndra-thar.html So would suggest you to go through this thread also.

It seems like both the products have their own pros & cons, so one will have to decide accordingly. Do let me know if you need any more help.

Last edited by revvharder : 24th November 2022 at 01:24.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 17:31   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Actually what i meant was HID Bulbs should be fitted only to cars which have projectors as i have seen several karol bagh shops fitting HID in normal headlamps, Duster indeed came with normal headlights.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Quote:
I recommend installing projector fog lamps instead of fitting LED bulbs in the headlights as good quality led bulbs will set you back by 3k to 5k and the increment in light won't be much as Duster suffers from poor reflector design and it is a known issue which is discussed even in Dacia forums internationally.
Yesterday, I drove in night and observed it illuminates decently but doesn't counter oncoming brightness. That's where I feel helpless.
Quote:
The kit that Vsrivatsa sir has fitted is a complete projector fog lamp kit which blaze india is providing which includes projector, 5500k/6000k HID bulbs, Ballasts and other smaller tidbits which as of date is costing Rs.7500 with warranty, in case of individual component failure it can be procured separately via him or in aftermarket.
I have read if fully but can you please let me know if wires have to spliced ?

Quote:
He is also offering Bi-LED fog lamps costing Rs.8200 with warranty and he is claiming it's life of around 7 to 10 years but if it fails out of warranty the individual foglamp will need to be replaced and it looks like the product is same as in this thread https://team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do-yo...ndra-thar.html So would suggest you to go through this thread also.
It doesn't have the option to change bulbs alone in case of issue and entire set has to be changed. So that's ruled out.
Quote:
It seems like both the products have their own pros & cons, so one will have to decide accordingly. Do let me know if you need any more help.
Just want to know if it'll counter the oncoming vehicles blinding lights. I'm mostly getting it done but wanted to know what is a TCX Ballast and how it will be mounted and their reliability in real life. Thanks again.
Old 26th November 2022, 21:29   #506
BHPian

Quote:

1. Yesterday, I drove in night and observed it illuminates decently but doesn't counter oncoming brightness. That's where I feel helpless.

2. I have read if fully but can you please let me know if wires have to spliced ?

3. Just want to know if it'll counter the oncoming vehicles blinding lights. I'm mostly getting it done but wanted to know what is a TCX Ballast and how it will be mounted and their reliability in real life. Thanks again.
1. Yes, even i've felt the same as more and more vehicles are coming equipped with projector headlamps it feels easier to see the sun than look at these High beam driven vehicles

2. The connectors connect into existing foglamp connectors for the low beam operation and for the high beam a scotch lock is used to tap into the high beam wiring of your car so when you will activate high beams the projectors will also switch to high beams.

3. Well these are chinese products so buying from a reputed seller makes sense and for the chinese products i go by the saying "Chale to raat tak varna chand tak".
For understanding ballasts you should check these out https://undergroundlighting.com/blog...id-ballast-101 and the below video

Also i have passed on these queries and a few more to Vsrivatsa sir, will share the same with you.
Old 29th November 2022, 15:50   #507
BHPian

Anyone tried to upgrade Honda Brio 2015 model with Bosch Iris LED 30W or any other LED ? I have two questions -
1. Can I use LED with Reflector type head light assembly (I mean NOT projector type) ? Will the light beam scatter and affect the oncoming drivers?
2. Bosch Iris LED talks about Intelligent Color Temperature Control System, what is this? Does this actually change the color temperature to Warm white during rain?
Old 29th November 2022, 15:57   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibitg View Post
Anyone tried to upgrade Honda Brio 2015 model with Bosch Iris LED 30W or any other LED ? I have two questions -
1. Can I use LED with Reflector type head light assembly (I mean NOT projector type) ? Will the light beam scatter and affect the oncoming drivers?
2. Bosch Iris LED talks about Intelligent Color Temperature Control System, what is this? Does this actually change the color temperature to Warm white during rain?
On 1:
No not recommended as the scatter is quite bad with most led bulbs. Still if you are keen, please go with Osram H4 Led bulbs as they are better than all other options. Please be sure to have them oriented with blade vertical (LEDs on either side) to prevent glare to oncoming drivers

2: the Bosch Iris bulbs do not have any Intelligent color temperature control system
That is just a bunch of marketing jargon they are pushing.

If you are keen for 4300k Led bulbs, try to get H4 type DHC LED bulbs H55 in 4300k. I have heard they are pretty good (haven't used them myself though).
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 20:10   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
On 1:

If you are keen for 4300k Led bulbs, try to get H4 type DHC LED bulbs H55 in 4300k. I have heard they are pretty good (haven't used them myself though).
I use them in my Honda WRV. I am very satisfied with their performance. Of course, I use them in conjunction with IPH CAR M617 fogs that I specifically use for city driving.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 21:04   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
I use them in my Honda WRV. I am very satisfied with their performance. Of course, I use them in conjunction with IPH CAR M617 fogs that I specifically use for city driving.
Even I have the IPH M617 Tri colour ones in my Jeep Compass and am quite happy with them. Good to know that the DHC bulbs are also good as 4300k is the best CCT for good visibility in all conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks