Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 23:41   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
- Don't trust any company affiliated with Skoda. In all honesty, I expect the after sales service and long term reliability to be horrible.
It's actually the other way round i.e VW is the parent. That said, I don't understand why you expect the VW after sales service to be terrible? VW is in for the long haul in India and I doubt they would want to start off on the wrong foot. Also, on existing evidence, while there have been a few niggles on the Polo, it seems VW has dealt with them in an orderly fashion.

To your question, I wouldn't recommend an Optra Magnum for the reasons GTO suggested above.

Since ABS/Airbags are not absolutely essential for you, why don't you think of Vento TDi Trendline? I think, at 7.99 L (ex showroom Delhi) it's an incredible bargain. You can always get the accessories from the open market at very competitive rates.

Overall, for less than 10 lakhs, I really don't think there's a better diesel sedan which offers such a balance of performance, built, ride/handling and F.E as Vento does.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:36   #32
BHPian

True, there is no other diesel that offers the same balance of performance, build, ride/handling as a vento, but the trendline version is simply too basic.
No rear power windows.
And I really need drivers side seat height adjustment. Too many features missing in the trendline.
The highline costs somewhere around Rs.9,50,000 Ex-showroom Mumbai, so with taxes, insurance, company registration etc. should end up being close to Rs. 11 lakh OTR (going to register on company name to get depreciation benefits).
Also VW's cost of ownership and a.s.s. is still kinda unknown since they are relatively new. We also can't judge long term reliability yet.

Current top contender remains the Hyundai Sonata Embera CRDi
The only 2 things I don't like about this car are the ugly interiors and the huge size. Car is going to be self driven (don't have a chauffeur), and something this large may be difficult to manage in the city.

One question:
Can a Hyundai be considered as reliable as the Japs (Toyota and Honda) in the long term?
Old 8th October 2010, 14:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
One question:
Can a Hyundai be considered as reliable as the Japs (Toyota and Honda) in the long term?
Well, they have earned that reputation in the US markets and also popular amongst Asians by providing more bang for the buck!
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:57   #34
BHPian

I think I understand what you want. I want the same things in my car. The Fiesta was way too slow getting to 100 kmph, even though people kept repeating that it handles well, did not excite me at all.

I seriously considered the Verna, but did not buy it because of the handling issues. I got the Petrol Elantra for 7.3 lakhs on road, which was a steal, and 5 years later I got the Getz Crdi 5.2 lakhs on road which has the Verna diesel engine. Both these cars handle decently enough and are very powerful. Unfortunately neither car is in production any more.

I recommend the i20 1.4 if you are looking for the features with moderate power or the Vento Trendline if you are looking solely at the power and handling. If you can convince you dad to buy a petrol, the Linea T-Jet might be worth looking at.

P.S. No offence to any Fiesta owners.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

I feel a pure driver's car does not entail acceleration/top speed alone.
Handling plays a big part as well.

I would suggest a Fiesta with Pete's tuning Box.
(takes the Bhp from 68 to 82 if I recall correctly)

I would do it with my closed if and when Pete's opens here
Old 17th November 2010, 14:01   #36
BHPian

For 9 lakhs, you can certainly look at Scorpio LX or even SLE (depends where you are). It offers all that you need... (Fun to drive with good power, Can seat 4 with option of carrying luggage with back row removed, safety features to an extent and excellent resale value).

I would have voted for Manza for sure since im drving this for last 13 months and I DONT AGREE THAT ITS "NOT" FUN TO DRIVE. Atleast im having fun with Qudrajet90 diesel engine of Manza that develops maximum power of 89 Bhp at 4000 rpm with maximum torque of 200 Nm at 1750 rpm.
While that may not blow anyone off, the fun lies with the maximum torgue achieved at 1750rpm that makes overtaking a breeze. But yeah no where this compares to Vento, Fiesta 1.6 S, Verna or other sedans.
Anyways, since manza is not in your list, i won't brag about this too much now

IMO manufacturers are busy rolling our hatches and more hatches and more variants... With the kinda money we spend on automobiles I just "WISH" the government shows more mercy on the buyers by reducing various tax slabs and make automotive buying a bit cheaper.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I think I understand what you want. I want the same things in my car. The Fiesta was way too slow getting to 100 kmph, even though people kept repeating that it handles well, did not excite me at all.
You nailed it, those are my thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I would suggest a Fiesta with Pete's tuning Box.
(takes the Bhp from 68 to 82 if I recall correctly)
Seems like a good option to me to, but Dad doesn't want to make such a big modification (in terms on price, Pete's would cost 30K).
The most I'll be allowed is an after-market air filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
For 9 lakhs, you can certainly look at Scorpio LX or even SLE (depends where you are). It offers all that you need... (Fun to drive with good power, Can seat 4 with option of carrying luggage with back row removed, safety features to an extent and excellent resale value).
Sorry, driven a Scorpio, that thing has horrible handling. Sways a lot. I'm honestly scared I'd topple it over taking a fast corner.
Any SUV quite frankly can't compete against a sedan in terms of handling and performance, so that options out.

Fortunately my Dad has decided to indefinitely delay plans for buying a new car, so for now I can continue to enjoy the Civic .

With any luck the Etios (if it comes in Diesel) or the new verna/accent (should come by mid 2011 hopefully) will be able to fulfil all my criteria.

Will bring this thread up again when the time to buy the new diesel finally comes.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 18th November 2010, 22:34   #38
BHPian

Suggestion Provided for Sub9lac Diesel Sedan

I would suggest that you should go for the Volkswagen Vento if you are looking for a car with Brand, Technology and Pride.

If you want a car with low maintenance cost, go in for the Fiat. It sports the most reliable engine which is carried by Tata Motors and Maruti Suzuki in there diesel cars. The engine is a Fiat proprietary engine. Fiat cars are known for style, statement and luxury. The car is good at looks, however a bit underpowered.

I would provide you another suggestion if you are totally looking for a value for money, no frills car then go for the Renault Logan..After owning it for 3.5 years, its one of the best cars I have driven and very low on expense

AB
Old 17th December 2010, 15:27   #39
BHPian

Decision Made

Well my dad's finally zeroed in on a car, one that ironically was not on my shortlist (to be perfectly honest, I'm not a fan of this car)
The Hyundai Verna Diesel

My personal feelings aside, it fits all of my dad's criteria;
diesel, reliability, low maintenance costs, big boot, no headache no nonsense.

I might still be able to convince him against it, but to be perfectly honest, I am being a bit impractical and immature about this (sue me, I'm 19), so I need some impartial advice from you guys.

The Car is a December 2007 manufactured/ 2008 registered car, that has run about 42000 km. Is the high end model with climate control, height adjustable seat with lumbar support etc. although no ABS sadly.
We are getting the car for Rs. 5,40,000. Is in impeccable condition.
Is it a good deal? Or should I try and convince my dad to look at other options.

Really need some more experienced bhpians to help me out on this one.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:35   #40
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Best Driver Oriented Diesel in the sub-9 lakh Category

Rather than convincing him against it. Convince him to let you get a set of Bilstein shocks fitted so that the handling gets sorted. Then the car will be good, no complaints. A set from petes will cost about 50k.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:42   #41
BHPian

Any cheaper options. Something under 30K ideally.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any cheaper options. Something under 30K ideally.
There will be. But I think the Bilsteins are bolt on, so no hassle about fitting. And they will be reliable. Speak to Petes about the exact price though.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:27   #43
BHPian

Well done deal, got the Hyundai Verna. Taking the car next Saturday, since Dad's out of town.
Will post a detailed review once I get the car, pics and everything .
Also upsizing the tyres to 205/50 R15 Michelin PP2's
Old 17th December 2010, 22:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Get the Monroes from Peter. Will cost you around 13k for a pair.
With Bilstein, your ride quality will go for a major toss.
Add petes box, if you need it.
Old 18th December 2010, 00:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Get the Monroes from Peter. Will cost you around 13k for a pair.
With Bilstein, your ride quality will go for a major toss.
Add petes box, if you need it.
There better and more VFM than Bilstein. Listen to Mr.KP.

Congrats on the car. I doubt you will get PP2s. Check out S-Drives instead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks