Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 09:04   #1
BHPian

Pickup Truck

I'm planning to buy a pickup truck when I return to India in another 6 months.
I'd like to know the pros and cons of pickup truck in India?

I've been driving one in USA, I havent seen lotta pickup's in India so can someone here pls share some insight on which pickup to buy? and what's the best in the market
Old 12th April 2010, 10:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
when I return to India in another 6 months.

I've been driving one in USA
OK, so that explains your HD's modification

Ok, turning towards your pickup truck, what's the purpose of buying a pickup truck? Pls define your needs. What's the pickup truck you have in US? In India, I'm sure you know the only few pickup trucks that you can buy in India are Tata 207, Xenon or one from Mahindra family (Maxx, Bolero or Getaway).
Old 12th April 2010, 10:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

The current choices in the Indian market are the TATA Xenon, Mahindra's Bolero Camper, Maxx-pick up, Bolero Pick up,and the Getaway. All these vehicles have their own share of fan followers and would be best that you personally test drive each of these vehicles before investing.

Once again , why would you need a pickup ? Do you plan to use it in your farm or something on those lines?
Old 12th April 2010, 17:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

shrini78 the TATA Xenon looks way too cool. Check it out on the Internet.
home
TATA Xenon
Old 12th April 2010, 17:43   #5
BHPian

What is the towing capacity for the xenon or any other pickup's
I drive a F150 and mainly I use it to tow my MC.

Do we get the hitch in India or should I get one from USA to latch it on a pickup if I get one there?
Old 12th April 2010, 18:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the towing capacity for the xenon or any other pickup's
I drive a F150 and mainly I use it to tow my MC.
Check here for the Xenon : http://xenon.tatamotors.com/fla/asse...on_3.0L_en.pdf

I think here its mentioned as Towing Capacity Braked Trailer (Kg) and Towing Capacity Unbraked Trailer (Kg) .Ideally you would require to go the manufacturer website and check for the tech. specs and find out if it suits your need.

Quote:
Do we get the hitch in India or should I get one from USA to latch it on a pickup if I get one there?
I think it should be available here, the OTR guru's should be able to confirm.PM fellow member shankar_balan and check with him, I remember having seeing one on his Scorp' in one of the pictures.
Old 12th April 2010, 18:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Pickups in India are either utility vehicles used for commercial purposes or are lifestyle vehicles, used on a farm or as a second car for leisure activities. They are not popular as personal transport unlike the USA/Thailand.

Xenon is more a lifestyle vehicle. so is the Getaway. Mahindra MAxx, Bolero camper are more utilitarian, and dont come with any creature comforts.

Depending on your intended use in India, you may want to make a choice. The tata TL / 207 twin/single cab is also a good option for load carrying use.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:30   #8
BHPian

Pickup as segment has not "picked up" well in India as of now

However, amongst the ones available, I personally find the Xenon to be the best. However, the issue would be A.S.S. If you manage to get a good one, then all the best.

Another thing which I gathered from Tata Dealership here, not many dealership would have a Xenon for you to experience/ TD, as its mainly exported and local demand is min. Perhaps concorde motors should have one.

Otherwise Camper is also good, but Xenon looks way too better than any other ones.
Old 13th April 2010, 08:03   #9
BHPian

Hitch I can get here for 100 some $$$.
Will someone be able to tell me if I buy a MC trailer here in USA and bring it back, will I be able to tow on a xenon.
My bike weighs 675lbs dry weight and the trailer would weigh around 750lbs so will I be able to tow some 1500lbs of weight at a given time

I liked the look of xenon and nothing else.
How much would be the mileage on that?
Old 13th April 2010, 10:00   #10
BHPian

Hi shrini, the xenon can be used to tow up to a 2ton braked trailer(combined weight), the tow hitch is best bought from outside, you do get ones from mahindra but it is not up to the DOT standards, A MC trailer will have to be registered and carry a number plate, with its endorsement in the vehicle RC book, and coming back to the trailer bit, one ATV dealer from Bangalore has a nice 1ton trailer for sale at around 50k.
Old 13th April 2010, 10:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I liked the look of xenon and nothing else.
How much would be the mileage on that?
Xenon uses the same 2.2 engine as safari vtt. My Safari gives me an average of 11 kmpl in city and around 14 on highway

Hope this helps!!
Old 13th April 2010, 18:43   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For style & panache, my choice would be the Xenon. It is simply too cool a truck. However, if I were buying a pickup for the functionality, it would be the Mahindra Getaway. The latter feels more robust and is a better offroader too (though neither are hardcore 4x4s).

@ Shrini : Do search the forum. There are ample threads on either; then, come back with more specific questions.
Old 15th April 2010, 15:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo45_m View Post
and coming back to the trailer bit, one ATV dealer from Bangalore has a nice 1ton trailer for sale at around 50k.
Is it same as a Jeep trailer?? If not, really intresting! Can you please provide some more detail (if possible photos too) of that trailer. Does the dealer have to carry his ATV? Whow is the look, contemporary?? What is the size of it?? Did I ask too much ??
Old 15th April 2010, 15:28   #14
BHPian

Suggest going for the xenon. Its got the looks and with the proven 2.2 dicor , ~140 bhp motor you cant go wrong.
Old 15th April 2010, 21:36   #15
BHPian

@ Keyur, since you drive a safari can you pls see this link and tell me if you'd be able to fix it onto your SUV

Heavy Duty Motorcycle Carrier - Joe Hauler Deluxe Heavy Duty Cam-Loc at DiscountRamps.com

Most Viewed