Re: Comfortable car under 40-lakhs, but not the Innova Hycross

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlesh View Post
Usage:
- Mix of city (50%) and highway (50%) driving
- Average monthly running: 1000 km to 1200 km
- To be driven by both me and my wife

Budget: Under INR 40 Lakhs (on-road)
If I am in your shoe, I will go with Volkswagen Tiguan. This is neither too big nor small so easy for city and highway drives. DQ381 DSG is far more reliable than DQ200 or DQ251. Tiguan is a 5-Star rated car and 2.0 TSI offers a better performance and decent fuel efficiency too.

New Tiguan launch is around the corner (May be next year) but I liked the current one. My second choice will be Honda CR-V (God only knows when this Indian management will wake up from their deep sleep).

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th May 2024 at 15:10. Reason: Clean up edits. Trimming quoted post.
sk1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 21:00   #17
BHPian

I think you can go for Tucson Petrol. It is not as bad, and performance doesn't seem to be your criteria. It serves all other criteria. It has a fairly drivable engine. If you can, go for Diesel, and you will not be disappointed.
naikameya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 22:42   #18
BHPian

A lot of people have been recommending diesel cars and since you didn't state a preference, I will be recommending the sharp variant of MG Gloster. It is a 7 seater diesel suv. It is available only in 2 wheel drive, but the only difference between top variant and this is ADAS. It does require you to extend your budget by 3-4 lakhs.

I know you said you need ADAS, but you wouldn't use it for anything except showing off to your friends and family
I am currently writing a review of our car and this is the list of pros and cons.

The good part:
1)The ride quality is just sublime. It glides at highway speeds, giving the feeling of riding a cloud.
2)The seats are fantastic. They are comfortable, have a wide range of adjustment. Third row space is amazing and adults can sit for an hour or two no problem.
3)Car doesn't feel claustrophobic like its rivals. The Fortuner felt extremely cramped and the Kodiaq's interior space didn't complement its external size.
4)Loaded to the gills. Heated/ventilated seats with massage functionality, 360 degree cam, huge panoramic sunroof, etc.
5)The sound system is simply put sublime. It is crisp. Doesn't ring while playing bass heavy music, vocals are clear with melodies. It can be tuned to your liking with its extensive options. (I am not an audiophile)
6)The car received a 5-☆☆☆☆☆ rating from ANCAP (Australia) in 2019.
7)Interior quality is absolutely amazing, it is sturdy and well built.
8)The ambience. Road noise is low, engine is loud but the sound barely gets into the cabin. A very pleasant experience overall.
9)The headlights are amazing. They adjust their position (instantly) based on vehicle speed, load, and steering position. It works well.

The ugly part:
1)Ergonomics are not well thought. The volume controls, mode selection are located on the left side, wireless charger is a thin slot where most phones don't fit. It makes sense as it is a left hand drive car converted to right hand drive.
2)Bottle holders are useless. They are too small to fit even 500ML bottles, our i20 has better cup holders. Piano black can get scratched easily.
3)Weird bugs in the infotainment system, Apple CarPlay used to get disconnected out of nowhere, the navigation interrupts randomly with "speed breaker ahead" "left curve ahead" regardless of how many times you mute it. SatNav is bad and you shouldn't depend on it (maps are provided by mapmyindia).
4)MG's horrible after sales. The car is damaged every time it is sent to repair, representatives are lazy and you have to be on their tail for them to get anything done.
5)Connected car tech lacks features. Has no remote start (our i20 which costs 14L has it). It is slow to respond and the app is pure garbage, weirdly enough the Apple Watch app is really good.
6)The crash bar (official MG accessory) blocks the swipe sensor used to open the boot. you can still use it, that is if you don't like your shins
7)The key is incredibly cheap. It has a blank button, weighs nothing. The MG Astor that we got as a loaner had better keys. This car commands a better key.
8)Lack of paint options. only 3 colours were offered (website has 4 but dealer said only 3 are available). The ones offered are lacklustre (pun intended). Black was the best option for us between gold and white.
9) Fuel efficiency isn't its strength and don't expect anything more than 8-9 in the city (that is if you drive with a light foot and not like an enthusiast)
10)Power isn't adequate if you are an enthusiast. it gets by if you drive normally
chiekennugget is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 03:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Kodiaq will not be my choice for city based use. We have one in the family, and I’ve always found the middle row to be rather low set, not very comfortable.
Not comparing to a sedan but my family found the middle row (don’t want to call it middle row as we have almost never used the 3rd row) extremely comfortable to the point that I feel Kodiaq has become a beater car than the Virtus in my garage. It easily acccomodates 3 and have enough leg room with 5.10 in the front row.
Also the latest iteration sold were all E20 complaint but sadly I believe the dealers aren’t taking the bookings anymore. Was a sweet deal to get a Kodiaq at a price of launch.
In the current offering, my pick hands down will be the last of the current iteration of Tiguan if that’s still currently on sale. All other under 40lac car will leave you desiring for more.
Jangra is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 23:15   #20
BANNED

Why is no one considering the Jeep Compass? It’s a good vehicle under 40L, right? The driving dynamics and suspension is well tuned. I’m planning to exchange my 10 year old E 250 and 5 year old Rapid with Jeep Compass S 4x4.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st June 2024 at 16:03. Reason: rite -> right
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 1st June 2024, 11:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Why no one is considering Jeep Compass ? It’s a good vehicle under 40L rite? The driving dynamics and suspension is well tuned. I’m planning to exchange my 10 year old E 250 and 5 year old Rapid with Jeep Compass S 4x4
Compass is one of the most overpriced cars in the market today, The new Safari with the same Engine is a much better value proposition.

Top of the Line XUV700 AXL Diesel AWD seems like the better bet and its costs somewhere in the early 30s. Compass is smaller in size and is cramped.
Cliff9091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 13:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
- I can wait for 10 to 12 months if required
As you don't mind waiting for almost an year, my suggestion is to wait for the dark horse - Ford Endeavor/Everest. A car which I am sure will not make you regret ever. If they really do make a comeback (which looks very likely with all kinds of news floating around) the 40-50 lakh segment will see a lot of positive changes from a customer perspective & will be a game changer. If not then Kodiaq would be my pick.
Torque123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 13:26   #23
BHPian

The Hyundai Tucson and Citroen C5 Aircross both suit your requirements. Both are high quality.

My preference is the C5 aircross for its uniqueness and also because Tucson & the new Creta have very similar road presence.

Other than these, the Kodiaq is an excellent pick as rightly suggested by other bhpians. You should also compare the Compass, just to avoid buyer's remorse.
Candy$Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 13:43   #24
BHPian

I would suggest going for the XUV 700 Petrol AT AX5, but if you need a fully loaded car, then AX7L. My wife and I have been using our AX5 P AT for the last one and a half year and I should say, I am bowled over by the vehicle. I have not test driven the diesel, hence cannot comment. But the petrol is butter smooth, has dollops of torque everywhere with almost no turbo lag, very light steering for the city and excellent high speed dynamics on the highways. Take a TD of the P AT to experience it. The power on tap is addictive
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 23:13   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Compass is one of the most overpriced cars in the market today, The new Safari with the same Engine is a much better value proposition.

Top of the Line XUV700 AXL Diesel AWD seems like the better bet and its costs somewhere in the early 30s. Compass is smaller in size and is cramped.
You are right. It’s overpriced. But for me there is no other vehicle that has excellent driving dynamics, steering feedback, sturdy and stable under 45 lakhs. It lacks on rear seat space. But I can live up with that. I’m confused to opt for 4x2 or 4x4 version. I’ll make the booking tomorrow.

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th June 2024 at 14:12. Reason: SMS lingo and other minor edits. .
Old 2nd June 2024, 00:00   #26
BHPian

I will suggest you to consider Audi A4.
As per threads on this forum, car is available for around 40-45 Lakhs after discount.
Although slightly above the prescribed budget, the car is excellent on all parameters, especially on ride quality. Enough ground clearance to be practical enough too.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 20:34   #27
BHPian

Citroen c5 Air cross is an amazing car except for the 3 individual seats in the middle row, only size zero models can fit in those seats, such a deal breaker. do check before putting your hard earned Money, pick would be XUV700 / Safari. Both Indian manufacturers are offering great value proposition
raj.barcode is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 13:17   #28
BHPian

I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone for their suggestions. It appears that finalizing a car within a budget of 40 lakhs is quite challenging. After reviewing numerous reviews and ownership reports from esteemed Team-BHP members, the following cars have been recommended most frequently:
  • Tiguan
  • Tuscon
  • Xuv 700
  • Kodiaq

I plan to test drive all the vehicles listed above. Although I am particularly interested in the Tiguan, I have some concerns regarding the long-term reliability and maintenance of VW group cars, especially after reading recent ownership reports, such as the one by @sail, which can be found here: VW Tiguan Gearshifting Issue (DSG) (VW Tiguan | Gearshifting issue with the DSG).

I would greatly appreciate any additional comments and suggestions you may have.
mathlesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 16:04   #29

considering that you have shorted Tiguan over the
Tuscon
Xuv 700
Kodiaq.
Plz go ahead with the choice if you are spellbound by it. All 4 are equally competant and complex products. Even an Atlas cycle would fall someday even after regular maintenance.
My XUV700 diesel mx feb 2022 have a coolant pipe leakage at 14000kms as a result of manufacturing defect (replaced promptly by DEE EMM) while corolla altis 2008 have a persistant anti theft alarm issue in winter nights due to temperature changes (ASC can't find a solution). BMW 320D 2012 is cruising highways without any issue, just regular service costing under 15k.
you go in a dust track of any indian village at 20kmph and disk breaks need to be cleaned manually for dust lodged near disk pressure cylinders, irrespective of the car you have taken.
SO ENJOY YOUR RIDE WHICH YOUR HEART FIND DROOLWORTHY, USE IT, AND THEN NGT WILL THROW IT ANYWAY.
Old 21st June 2024, 19:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to extend my gratitude to everyone for their suggestions. It appears that finalizing a car within a budget of 40 lakhs is quite challenging. After reviewing numerous reviews and ownership reports from esteemed Team-BHP members, the following cars have been recommended most frequently:
  • Tiguan
  • Tuscon
  • Xuv 700
  • Kodiaq

I plan to test drive all the vehicles listed above. Although I am particularly interested in the Tiguan, I have some concerns regarding the long-term reliability and maintenance of VW group cars, especially after reading recent ownership reports, such as the one by @sail, which can be found here: VW Tiguan Gearshifting Issue (DSG) (VW Tiguan | Gearshifting issue with the DSG).

I would greatly appreciate any additional comments and suggestions you may have.
Tiguan TDi owner here - been nearly 6 years, with over 50K on the odo.
This car has made it's presence felt in our garage and has become one of the more sought after cars especially for highway trips.
The brilliant visibility, compact external size, practical and comfortable interiors have made choosing a companion for the Tiguan difficult - one of the reasons I've been following this thread to find an option to the Tiguan for highway runs, with good comfort, which isn't the Innova Hycross.

We saw the Tucson but the ride was a little too soft and the rear seat not as comfortable; but didn't see the XUV and Harrier/Safari due to perceived niggles and service.
Saw the Q3 and if rear seat and boot space isn't priority - it could be a good option post discounts but over 40L.
The only car that really impressed us was the Kodiaq - mainly due to the adaptive dampers on the L&K and the bigger boot would come in handy but again was over 40L - but one car worth the stretch.
However both the Q3 & Kodiaq have the same issue as the Tiguan when it comes to reliability - by and large apart from the AllSpace CBU, the TSI seems to be fairly reliable but is super particular about fuel quality. So finding an honest bunk that has 95 octane fuel near you would be a big boon!

The second issue with these cars is the cost of maintenance. Unfortunately due to the AWD transmission, and DSG transmission - the cost of maintenance shoots up due to the oil changes for these two components every 3 and 4 years. But apart from that, the car seems fairly reliable with most niggles sorted. A good 6 year warranty is also there to help out!

Finally about the Tiguan - one thing to keep in mind is that it is not comfortable! The stiff suspension isn't easy to live with on poor roads / potholed roads. It is clunky.
But if you have smooth roads, know how to tackle the potholes, and face a few undulations everyday - the tiguan works well in these conditions. Rock solid highway mannerisms that can shame a sedan on the highways, but a stiff ride in the city is something you would have to live with - and for this reason only I would try and see what is the best deal available on the Kodiaq L&K and if I could stretch for that given the new gen is unveiled and spotted testing in India already.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks