Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2024, 17:10   #1
BHPian

Help me pick a Used Car | Toyota Yaris or Honda BR-V?

Hi all,

I bought an Innova petrol automatic a couple of years ago, which has been my daily ride around town. Bought this car despite its low average because my running was very low, around 500-600 kms a month with occasional highway trips with the entire family in tow.

But over the last few months my daily running has increased a lot, almost 400-500 kms every week in lots of heavy traffic and the low average in the innova has really started to pinch the wallet.

Ive decided to leave the innova at home now to be used by my parents with a driver and occassional duties for the children for their classes etc.

For my daily grind around town I'm thinking of picking up a nice used automatic car which decent average.

Criteria: Petrol, Automatic, No AMT.

I have shortlisted three cars that seem to be clean examples at first glance, with service records available.

Option 1: Toyota Yaris VX CVT (2018 May) - 96000 KM done - regularly serviced at Toyota - Asking price 7,00,000/-

Option 2: Toyota Yaris G CVT (2019 December) - 44000 KM Done - regularly serviced at Toyota - Asking price 8,20,000/-

Option 3: Honda BRV V CVT (2019) - 68000 KM Done - Regularly serviced at Honda - Asking price 8,25,000/-

There are some good examples of amaze automatic that are also available, the mind says I should consider these but I just don't like the way the amaze looks.

I'm most inclined towards option 1 due to its price and being the top variant - but the running is a bit high at close to 1,00,000 kms.

Need a hand from y'all to make this decision - which car would you suggest for my needs? Is the asking price of these cars justified?

Thanks a bunch to everyone in advance. Cheers!!
kk21 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 17:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Help me pick a Used Car | Toyota Yaris or Honda BR-V?

If your daily running isn't too much - you'd be better off getting an EV option instead.

None of these options sound like they will be super fuel economical (unless you do a fair amount of highway running), and given they are all discontinued slow sellers - parts could be a little difficult to arrange for as well.

Any reason no City/Ciaz has made the list?
lamborghini is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 17:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If your daily running isn't too much - you'd be better off getting an EV option instead.

None of these options sound like they will be super fuel economical (unless you do a fair amount of highway running), and given they are all discontinued slow sellers - parts could be a little difficult to arrange for as well.

Any reason no City/Ciaz has made the list?
City is more expensive in the used car market - similar age and mileage the car is 50-100k more expensive.

Not considering electric/new cars at the moment because I want to stick to a certain budget.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 01:46.
kk21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 19:42   #4
BHPian

All 3 cars you have shortlisted are too overpriced IMO. As some one suggested, you should consider or rather reconsider getting an EV. If not, wait and you might find better examples at better prices.
saikishor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 21:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Most petrol cars with TC/CVT/DSG are guzzlers when driven in city limits. We have a Yaris CVT in the family and it barely manages to return double digit fuel economy in Delhi traffic. You can realistically expect just 2-3 km/l increase over what your Innova gives in any typical situation. So you might want to revisit your decision if you're primarily looking for lower running cost.

Apart from BR-V and Yaris, you can consider Jazz CVT and old Brezza/Urban Cruiser with 4-speed AT. If you're open to diesels, the Sonet diesel AT is a great option, which can lower your running cost by one-third (if not more) over a similar car in petrol.

Also, the cars you've shortlisted are quite overpriced. Used car dealers offer peanuts to owners for market duds like BR-V and Yaris. So never approach a dealer specifically looking for a low-selling model. Instead enquire about some popular but lower priced car and then take it from there.

Last edited by self_driven : 27th May 2024 at 21:18.
self_driven is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 21:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
Option 1: Toyota Yaris VX CVT (2018 May) - 96000 KM done - regularly serviced at Toyota - Asking price 7,00,000/-

Option 2: Toyota Yaris G CVT (2019 December) - 44000 KM Done - regularly serviced at Toyota - Asking price 8,20,000/-

Option 3: Honda BRV V CVT (2019) - 68000 KM Done - Regularly serviced at Honda - Asking price 8,25,000/-
All the three cars are overpriced by Delhi standards. A few points that might help

1. I ride a lot in a 2019 Toyota Yaris manual that's done 2,70,000km and can vouch for how well the car has help up with so many kms on clock
2. I've personally recommended the BRV V CVT to 4 close friends, and all of them have gotten them - one 2017 white as new, one 2017 red pre-owned in Bombay, one 2018 green pre-owned in Chennai, and one 2018 grey pre-owned in Chennai. All of them are very happy with their cars, and the three pre-owned ones were all in the 8.0 - 8.25Lacs range

Between the two, I think the BRV offers marginally more fuel efficiency and a whole lot more car-per-car.
vigsom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:06   #7
BHPian

What's your budget? 8L+, my suggestion buy a new car, lesser headache and, NCR used car's are notorious for tampering in every which way.

For peace of mind get yourself a new ride, TD the car's in your budget and get back here.

Last edited by Vinod_nair : 27th May 2024 at 22:10.
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure about the Yaris but many parts for these low volume Hondas are in short supply. I have a friend with a wrv driving around with trim bits missing as Honda says the lead time is 6+ months with no commitment.

Yaris is also an equally niche car, but at least Toyota parts are available in the open market unlike Honda which restricts sales through authorised dealerships only. Yaris reportedly has horrible mileage though.

If i were you i would look at a city.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:31   #9
BHPian

An i20 CVT or Amaze CVT could do a fine job for you and you can probably find some VFM CVT options on both these vehicles in your budget.

Although rare, you might find some good low-mileage late 2019-2022 Jazz CVTs in your range, in fact also possibly in the 6-7L range, as the car is now out of production. It is a tried and tested workhorse and has a lot of good things going for it: Good city drivability, backed by Honda Reliability, fun ride and handling characteristics with really good space.

Or the occasional City CVT from 2016-2018 might fall within your range, the 4th gen is still a looker. I sometimes feel like I should’ve gone for one while I had the chance!

Beware that all these will still only return early double digits in City Fuel Efficiency. Expectations would best be kept at around 12-13 kmpl.

Last edited by SixPistons : 27th May 2024 at 22:38.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

You can use the Innova petrol for highway runs, airport duties or when you go to family functions (when more than 5 people might need to travel). Another 7 seater (BRV) or sedan (Yaris) is an unusual choice.

Since fuel economy is the priority, look for pre-owned Jazz/Baleno/Polo/i20 or pre-owned Venue (has been in the market for 5 years now)/Ecosport (if service is available). There might not be too many examples of Brezza AT in the market.

Another idea ->

Sell Innova petrol, buy new Carens DCT
Sell Innova petrol, buy new/pre-owned Suzuki XL6 AT
Sell Innova petrol, buy pre-owned Honda BRV CVT

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th May 2024 at 01:50.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Prices are on the higher side, especially for Delhi. You may need additional expenses for tyres or battery. Also, Yaris came with 7 airbags vs BRV's 2.
Old 28th May 2024, 00:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Simple; in a world where the government is mandating e20 fuel, go for a Honda as it is the only mass manufacturer that claims its vehicles have been e20 compliant since 2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm not sure about the Yaris but many parts for these low volume Hondas are in short supply. I have a friend with a wrv driving around with trim bits missing as Honda says the lead time is 6+ months with no commitment.

If i were you i would look at a city.
Funnily enough, this is true however it is not just restricted to the Honda models which sold poorly. I’ve got a buddy of mine with a previous gen Honda City which I believe they continued to sell alongside the current generation for a couple of years at a lower price, and he is also been waiting indefinitely for some basic parts like power operated mirror switch and few other bits and bobs. Something is definitely up with Honda’s after sales service.
Old 28th May 2024, 00:40   #13
Team-BHP Support

If you don’t strictly need two cars, how about flipping the petrol Innova for a hybrid Hycross. That way you would have dealt with the issue for the long run in one shot. Another win is that the space, comfort and safety of a larger MUV (Innova / Hycross) can be enjoyed over the volume miles that are being run, without compromise.

In due course, if you do need another vehicle for small local runabouts, that could be achieved with a used small AT / MT hatchback, which a driver drives for family or even self driven but for smaller runs.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th May 2024 at 01:47.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 08:37   #14
BHPian

I have done a lot of analysis-paralysis of the Delhi used car market to tell you that none of these are good deals. We bought two new cars for minimal usage because of this overpriced market.

The cars you listed will be needing one or more of - CVT transmission fluid changes, tyre changes, suspension overhaul, extensive interior/ exterior detailing, etc.
Considering there was about ~1 year of lockdown, they've seen heavy driving daily and are also overpriced - my friend sold a 2019 top model Ciaz Alpha AT (60K) for ~5.5 and dealers were only giving him 5. It is a typical buy-low, sell-high dealer market and everyone has details on a car to be sold because the first guy broadcasts a picture of the RC.

My suggestions if you can extend budget slightly

1. Ciaz Delta AT - Should be 12 after discounts
2. Brezza VXI AT - ~12.5
3. Tiago EV - ~11 for a decently equipped one (no registration cost in Delhi)
rayjaycleoful is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 10:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help me pick a Used Car | Toyota Yaris or Honda BR-V?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
Need a hand from y'all to make this decision - which car would you suggest for my needs? Is the asking price of these cars justified?

Thanks a bunch to everyone in advance. Cheers!!
Since the low running cost and automatic is the major requirement, why not go for Tiago EV (range starts at 8.5L in Delhi before any discount negotiation). I believe you can use the Innova for any long rides. This would make even more sense if you have a charging facility at your home/office or both.

Other alternative could be the Tiago CNG automatic. Top end models would set you back at 9.9L before discounts.

I normally refrain from suggesting TATA cars, but since these are entry level models with relatively lesser electronics or complex engine gearbox combos, you should be good with it. Whatever extra you pay over the Yaris VX CVT(your current preferred option), you would easily recover with the lower maintenance and daily running costs in about 2 odd years. The resale value too would be higher (only for CNG Tiago).
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed