Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2024, 12:45   #1

Love my Mitsubishi Outlander, but want to sell it for a Mini Countryman

I have an almost 14 year old Mitsubishi Outlander. It has done over 200,000km. I love this car, it runs fine, and still looks new.

I love to drive. I have driven this car from Uttarakhand to Tamilnadu and back. It is perfect for my needs. There is nothing it lacks. I love looking at it and enjoy driving it. There is no urgent reason for me to get rid of it. There is no reason to change it yet.

I love the Mini Countryman. If I had to purchase a new car, I cannot think of purchasing anything else. It makes no practical sense and is a terrible financial decision, as one can make a lot of money investing that money instead. Probably that much money in 5 years.

But the Countryman makes me happy. I love my outlander also. It feels like a betrayal not to drive it after all it’s done. How to decide? My outlander and I have been through so many experiences, so many adventures. We share a bond. I am afraid I will miss it when it’s gone. And even if I keep it, not driving it everyday seems unthinkable.

Can anyone talk some sense into me one way or the other?
Grandizer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:16   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Love my Mitsubishi Outlander, but want to sell it for a Mini Countryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandizer View Post
I love the Mini Countryman. If I had to purchase a new car, I cannot think of purchasing anything else. It makes no practical sense and is a terrible financial decision, as one can make a lot of money investing that money instead. Probably that much money in 5 years.

But the Countryman makes me happy. I love my outlander also.
Is the lure for the Countryman a recent one? Then wait a while to see if it's just an impulsive, passing urge.

IMHO, you have used your Outlander enough at 14-years and 200,000 km. Max, in a year or two, I would suggest upgrading to something newer, faster, safer and fun...no matter how much you love it. And I say this as a proponent of keeping your cars for 10+ years.

Two alternatives:

- Keep your beloved Outlander, and get the Countryman anyway. Reason = you'll get peanuts for your Outlander in the used market. Better to retain it since you're attached to it. I still have my 27-year old Mahindra Classic parked down the house

- Consider a pre-owned Countryman & let the 1st owner suffer the depreciation hit.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is the lure for the Countryman a recent one? Then wait a while to see if it's just an impulsive, passing urge.
Yes. I love it. And funnily enough, after driving it I enjoyed driving my outlander more also. My outlanders handling, pickup, space, features, everything is awesome also. I love both cars more after test driving it. How to keep the car after the registration period ? One can reregister it I guess ? Ok. Good advice. Let me figure it out. Thank you.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th March 2024 at 12:04. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Grandizer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I have an almost 14 year old Mitsubishi Outlander. It has done over 200,000km. I love this car, it runs fine, and still looks new
Won't you have to let it go considering the NGT rule for the Petrol/Diesel vehicles?

But if such environment rules wouldn’t be in place, I would be happy to keep a good mechanical, fuss free machine forever. There is not much depreciation hit to the well-maintained car after 14/15 years of usage

Last edited by NomadSK : 18th March 2024 at 11:56.
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Won't you have to let it go considering the NCT rule for the Petrol/Diesel vehicles?

But if such environment rules wouldn’t be in place, I would be happy to keep a good mechanical, fuss free machine forever. There is not much depreciation hit to the well-maintained car after 14/15 years of usage
You are correct. It will not be possible to drive this car in NCR. But If I am not mistaken, one can get NOC and reregister the car in a different state if it is going to be used outside NCR. I don't think I will receive any amount worth the value of the car if I try to sell it. But it doesn't have any issues. Drives like a dream.

I don't know enough about cars to understand possible safety issues - I have a very thorough mechanic who inspects it on schedule and does the needful.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2024 at 09:58. Reason: Minor spacing for readability
Old 18th March 2024, 23:47   #6
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think I will receive any amount worth the value of the car if I try to sell it. But it doesn't have any issues. Drives like a dream.
I don't know enough about cars to understand possible safety issues - I have a very thorough mechanic who inspects it on schedule and does the needful.
I suggest you keep changing CVT fluid. CVTs are very sensitive to spent fluid. Flushing and replenishing every 2 years should keep your tranny in good health. Biggest problem with older automatic cars is the automatic gearbox itself. Weakest link between engine and wheels and most expensive and most hard to find part.

I like this car a lot. Missed one by a day 10 years back. In 2014, I was looking for a good pre-owned petrol dinosaur like Camry, Accord, Outlander, CRV, Kizashi. All 2.4 NA engines with automatic transmission options. Outlander came in AT only. Found none in good shape so finally settled for an Accord V6 3.0 which I am still using, 10 years on. I can feel what you feel. These 2.4/3.0 petrol engines offer smoothness you won't find in today's turbo petrol engines. If parking space is no constraint, I suggest drive it till wheels come off. Won't fetch much anyway.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 06:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are correct. It will not be possible to drive this car in NCR. But If I am not mistaken, one can get NOC and reregister the car in a different state if it is going to be used outside NCR. I don't think I will receive any amount worth the value of the car if I try to sell it. But it doesn't have any issues. Drives like a dream.
Your car will soon be unusable in NCR. You’ll need to not just get an NOC, but ensure it is actually transferred to the new owners name. The last thing you want is for the car to be sold to someone, yet be running in your name as the other party didn’t finish their share of formalities. In cases like yours, rare + old car, where resale value is anyway abysmal, it actually makes sense to get the car scrapped at any government authorised scrap yard. When resale value is 80-100k and scrap value is 50-60k, I’d rather scrap and eliminate the risk and potential liability entirely.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
I have an almost 14 year old Mitsubishi Outlander. It has done over 200,000km. I love this car, it runs fine, and still looks new.

Probably going against the wind here. But given your use case, would a Countryman really be a suitable alternative to the rugged, abuse-friendly Outlander? I'd suggest either the Scorpio-N or the XUV 700 as worthy alternatives. Compared to the Countryman's half-a-crore price point, the aforementioned cars can be had for almost half the amount. You can use the remaining money for traveling and making awesome memories That's my 2 cents.

Alternatively, as GTO suggested, getting a second-hand Countryman would be a great idea. Use the rest of the money for modding her up and traveling India
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 11:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
Probably going against the wind here. But given your use case, would a Countryman really be a suitable alternative to the rugged, abuse-friendly Outlander? I'd suggest either the Scorpio-N or the XUV 700 as worthy alternatives. Compared to the Countryman's half-a-crore price point, the aforementioned cars can be had for almost half the amount. You can use the remaining money for traveling and making awesome memories That's my 2 cents.

Alternatively, as GTO suggested, getting a second-hand Countryman would be a great idea. Use the rest of the money for modding her up and traveling India
The outlander is truly awesome. I don’t worry where we go or who is around. Having the 4WD option is reassuring, although I’ve never had to switch from 2WD.

I have made up my mind - the logical answer is just to make more money. That solves everything. Let me try!
Old 19th March 2024, 16:36   #10
vij
BHPian

I love the Countryman too. Has so much character and style - and stands out on the road.

Any idea if the 2024 model is coming to india anytime soon? It’s an improved larger car that has perhaps shed some of that jolly quirkiness.

Last edited by vij : 19th March 2024 at 16:58.
vij is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 03:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Can anyone talk some sense into me one way or the other?
I will try and I must admit it is not an easy situation. Personally I have been there, and what I realized is that it is not a wise decision to let go of a car/bike if it makes you happy all the time. The mechanical peace is unmatched.

Having experienced that myself if I were in your situation, I would keep the Outlander, or if you still need to scratch that itch sell the Outlander at a price which I know is ridiculous and will be few takers. If someone does come to buy it at that ridiculous price, then it's a sign to proceed with the Mini.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2024 at 09:57. Reason: Minor spacing for readability
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 08:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
I love the Countryman too. Has so much character and style - and stands out on the road.

Any idea if the 2024 model is coming to india anytime soon? It’s an improved larger car that has perhaps shed some of that jolly quirkiness.
https://Youtu.be/RaAwTE0BfEw?si=1krvpzUmue5LVuMF
I believe the electric one will come later this year, but the new petrol one won’t come for a while. I personally don’t like the upcoming one - to me it feels less like a mini and more like an X1.
Old 20th March 2024, 09:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
I will try and I must admit it is not an easy situation. Personally I have been there, and what I realized is that it is not a wise decision to let go of a car/bike if it makes you happy all the time. The mechanical peace is unmatched. Having experienced that myself if I were in your situation, I would keep the Outlander, or if you still need to scratch that itch sell the Outlander at a price which I know is ridiculous and will be few takers. If someone does come to buy it at that ridiculous price, then it's a sign to proceed with the Mini.
Thats a great idea! But the more I think about it, selling the car feels like a betrayal.

Even if I never drive it again it deserves a special place. Maybe if I move somewhere with more space I will just use it as my home office everyday, but even that feels wrong.
It’s still such a lovely car to drive and feels perfect for any situation.

It is a car that deserves to be driven and taken on adventures! Manufacturers should provide parts and upgrades so one can keep adapting their car like Ship of Theseus and keep it forever!!
Old 21st March 2024, 21:19   #14
BHPian

My vote would be to go with the countryman. I recently swapped my wife's 4 year old tiguan for a pre-owned 2020 countryman cooper S. Here's why i went for this...

1) An absolute hoot to drive. The 192ps engine is a gem (current models have been detuned 178hp).

2) A good compromise between the low chassis of the 2-door coopers and modern SUV's

3) E25 compliant

4) Boot space and rear leg room will surprise you for a car this size.

5)If you love to mod your car, there's plenty to do via coding and retrofitments.

I went to town with the mods. Retrofitted the 8.8in screen with nav and apple carplay, front parking sensors, HK sound system, steering with paddles, and LCI front grill to name a few.. Here are some parting pics.
Love my Mitsubishi Outlander, but want to sell it for a Mini Countryman-whatsapp-image-20240321-21.11.00_7f208fba.jpg

Love my Mitsubishi Outlander, but want to sell it for a Mini Countryman-whatsapp-image-20240321-21.11.00_7d1d3d63.jpg

Love my Mitsubishi Outlander, but want to sell it for a Mini Countryman-whatsapp-image-20240321-21.11.00_67cb04c7.jpg
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks