Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2023, 11:24   #1

What’s the next best thing after a Mahindra Scorpio?

Greetings. This is my first post on the platform, and having been an avid reader for a long time, I thought it’s best to put my question out to fellow enthusiasts here.

I’ve been planning to upgrade from my Mahindra Scorpio S10 2015 to a new car, because of the ten-year rule for diesel vehicles in Delhi. It’s still a question, whether we should keep it for a year and a half, and then sell it, or sell it for a better price right now.
We bought a 2023 Hyundai Creta SX(O) IVT to replace my 2008 Honda City with, for city driving, about six months ago.

When upgrading from the Scorpio, I don’t see any close competitor offering a similar RWD body-on-frame platform with a robust build and drive-it-anywhere confidence. I don’t care much about the car being loaded to the gills with features, since they're already present on the Korean. All I’m looking for is a dominating road presence, decent handling, well-performing engine, durability, and after-sales reliability. Moreover, the car will mostly be driven around by my father, and it should suit his personality, similar to the Scorpio.

The next best thing, i.e. the Toyota Fortuner, comes in at about Rs. 46 lakhs on-road in Delhi for the 4x2 Diesel Automatic trim, which is slightly out of my budget for now.

The itch to buy a Mahindra Thar has been coming in time and again, and I don’t know if that’s going to be a good idea, considering how the Scorpio has been our companion on road trips across the country. The Thar just can’t help us out in that. It’s never been a family car. Although, I’d be willing to consider a pre-loved Thar for the right price, and get rid of the itch in about a year or two, when I’m ready to upgrade to the Fortuner or a suitable car.

I’m also toying with the idea of getting a less-driven 2018 Honda City in exchange for the Scorpio with a used car dealer. The 2008 Honda City was my first car, and I wanted to upgrade to the latest generation Honda City after it, but the 2023 pre-facelift design and low ground clearance didn’t appeal to my family. Anyway, a well-maintained, less-driven 2018 Honda City (MT) should be available for a good price, and will run for another ten years. The Japs have never failed us in terms of reliability and durability.

The third possibility, that I’m completely against, is of going for the top-spec Scorpio Classic. I’m not a fan of the interiors, and don’t get the point of paying more for a car that looks exactly like my Scorpio, with less features.

The last prospect is to buy a used Ford Endeavour, but they’re overpriced in the used market, and I’m concerned about the price and availability of spares and service.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
VitoVTEC is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What’s the next best thing after a Mahindra Scorpio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoVTEC View Post
When upgrading from the Scorpio, I don’t see any close competitor offering a similar RWD body-on-frame platform with a robust build and drive-it-anywhere confidence. I don’t care much about the car being loaded to the gills with features, since they're already present on the Korean. All I’m looking for is a dominating road presence, decent handling, well-performing engine, durability, and after-sales reliability. Moreover, the car will mostly be driven around by my father, and it should suit his personality, similar to the Scorpio.
The Scorpio-N is made for you. It's a HUGE step up from the old Scorpio Classic. Take a test-drive, you'll be impressed. The same DNA, but vastly improved. It's like 2 - 3 generations ahead in terms of interiors, suspension, engines and AT gearbox available too!

Quote:
The itch to buy a Mahindra Thar has been coming in time and again
Wait for the 4-door Thar which will launch in a few months. Of course, if you can live with a 2-door, buy one today. Nothing matches the sexiness & character of a 2-door Jeep.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 11:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It’s still a question, whether we should keep it for a year and a half, and then sell it, or sell it for a better price right now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Honestly there is nothing like that Scorpio S10. And definitely nothing in that price range.
There are enough takers for a Scorpio in other parts of India and the vehicle will never depreciate below a certain level. So I say keep it as long as you can.
Then when the 5 door Thar comes out next year, evaluate that and see if it fits your needs and then make a choice.
Right now, keep that Scorpio. You won’t get another like it.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:07   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The third possibility, that I’m completely against, is of going for the top-spec Scorpio Classic. I’m not a fan of the interiors, and don’t get the point of paying more for a car that looks exactly like my Scorpio, with less features.
I think, the current Scorpio Classic has more features than the S-10. Else, I would be interested to know what extra features does the S10 offer over the Classic.

I think, a 5 door Thar will be very similar to the 2 door Thar. Scorpio-N will be a more refined all roads tourer, plus, should have more features to keep you fresh and might be having a more sorted and supple ride than the Thar (this is based on driving the 2 door Thar).

This should have been the default choice when an upgrade from the Scorpio comes. Do test drive the Scorpio-N, you might come away impressed and if you have time, wait for the 5 door Thar and take a call accordingly as per your use case / requirements.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

You have mentioned all possibilities except for the obvious one.

The ScorpioN!!!

And like @GTO has said, it is not just a gradual improvement or evolution. It is a proper generational change where you will find the core strengths of the Scorpio intact, while you will feel it is a proper modern car (because it is one)
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get another Scorpio (N preferably or the classic).

2018 (4th Gen Honda City) had dome short coming wrt suspension and head unit that is sorted in the 5th gen City. So wouldnt recommend the 2018 one to you.

2 door Thar is fun but not for family trips unless you have been managing such trips on motorcycle in the past. The space constraints will always be felt.

4 door Thar will have some possibilities of an initial few months of niggle filled ownership.

Summary: If you want the 5 door Thar, book Scorpio-N now (wait for delivery months after booking anyway). Check Thar updates before going ahead when the vehicle (Scorpio-N) is available.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2023, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Please treat your dad to a safer vehicle. The Scorpio-N and Scorpio classic/old have huge difference in terms of safety (Confirmed by GNCAP ratings too).

For this reason alone, I would buy the Scorpio-N. Petrol or Diesel, its your choice. But the variant with 6 airbags and AT transmission only.

If you can live with FE figures of around 6-7kmpl, go for the Petrol, atleast you can keep it for longer.

Then there are obvious advantages and advancements on the Scorpio-N over the Classic, which cannot be elaborated enough in this thread.
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 14:04   #8

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Scorpio-N is made for you. It's a HUGE step up from the old Scorpio Classic. Take a test-drive, you'll be impressed. The same DNA, but vastly improved. It's like 2 - 3 generations ahead in terms of interiors, suspension, engines and AT gearbox available too!
I like the Scorpio-N in terms of dynamics, features, and the sheer size. I took a test-drive of the same in diesel and petrol AT variants, and it pulls better, rides better, and even corners better. It does seem like a good decision for an upgrade, but the only thing holding me back is the rear profile. I'll probably just have to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wait for the 4-door Thar which will launch in a few months. Of course, if you can live with a 2-door, buy one today. Nothing matches the sexiness & character of a 2-door Jeep.
That seems like a good decision, because I don't know when, and if, I'll get an opportunity to buy a Thar later. I had even booked the Thar RWD on the 10th of January, but the delivery was getting delayed, and had to go for the Creta instead. I feel I can go for a 2-door, in agreement with your reasoning. Nothing really does come close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Honestly there is nothing like that Scorpio S10. And definitely nothing in that price range.
There are enough takers for a Scorpio in other parts of India and the vehicle will never depreciate below a certain level. So I say keep it as long as you can.
Then when the 5 door Thar comes out next year, evaluate that and see if it fits your needs and then make a choice.
Right now, keep that Scorpio. You won’t get another like it.
Hahaha, there's nothing like it. We've travelled across the entire country in the Scorpio with four people and their luggage, and it's been great. It's been our companion on Delhi-Ooty-Goa, Delhi-Sikkim-Bhutan-Nepal road trips, a number of trips to Ladakh and the North-East, and multiple trips to Rajasthan and Punjab. It's a delight to drive (maybe it's just me, but I like the traits of a body-on-frame platform, including the body roll ), and maintenance isn't expensive either.

I'd be happy to keep it for as long as I can. In case I end up shifting to Bangalore for work before 2025, I'll just take it there if we still have it by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think, the current Scorpio Classic has more features than the S-10. Else, I would be interested to know what extra features does the S10 offer over the Classic.
The Classic misses out on split seats for the middle row, which are present in my S10. Moreover, the android infotainment screen looks like an aftermarket unit, and doesn't go as well with the interior as the stock unit. It had a 'INFO' section that gave information about Fuel Efficiency and Range, TPMS, and Service Info. Also, I like the small voice alerts for handbrake, seatbelt reminder, etc. The Classic doesn't get auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, no intermittent windscreen wiper controller or a tyre pressure monitoring system.
There's 4 rear parking sensors on the S10 as compared to 2 on the Classic, and 2 12V charging sockets on the S10, while the Classic has 1.

Quote:
I think, a 5 door Thar will be very similar to the 2 door Thar. Scorpio-N will be a more refined all roads tourer, plus, should have more features to keep you fresh and might be having a more sorted and supple ride than the Thar (this is based on driving the 2 door Thar).
I believe it's being made on a similar platform to the Scorpio-N, and it might just be slightly better on the road than the 2-door. Although, the Scorpio-N, as you mentioned, will always be more refined and loaded.

Quote:
This should have been the default choice when an upgrade from the Scorpio comes. Do test drive the Scorpio-N, you might come away impressed and if you have time, wait for the 5 door Thar and take a call accordingly as per your use case / requirements.
I did, and I'm certainly impressed by the way it drives and looks from every angle except for the back. The rear profile, as I mentioned, is not entirely to my liking.

By the way, I've read a lot of your posts earlier about the Red Scorpio S10 4WD you had when we bought our Scorpio. I was in school at that time, and it looked beautiful to me as a kid, and still does as an adult.
Do you still have it?
If yes, what do you plan on upgrading to from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
If you want the 5 door Thar, book Scorpio-N now (wait for delivery months after booking anyway). Check Thar updates before going ahead when the vehicle (Scorpio-N) is available.
That's something I couldn't have thought of. Thank you for the idea.
If we decide upon it, I can book the Scorpio-N, and later get my booking transferred to that of a 5-door Thar if needed.
Phew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Please treat your dad to a safer vehicle. The Scorpio-N and Scorpio classic/old have huge difference in terms of safety (Confirmed by GNCAP ratings too).

If you can live with FE figures of around 6-7kmpl, go for the Petrol, atleast you can keep it for longer.
A diesel is more suited for my case, since we undertake long road trips spanning across the country. Moreover, our daily running is quite high. Plus, fuel efficiency is important too, so a diesel AT is preferred.

Also, did you graduate from DCE (now DTU), by any chance?
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but couldn't keep myself from doing that after looking at your username.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st October 2023 at 15:05. Reason: Mod note attached.
VitoVTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 15:41   #9
BHPian

I will quote my cousin, the only thing that can replace a Scorpio is another Scorpio. Please take a long test drive of Scorpio N & then make the decision. Agree on your point about Rear end but apart from that the N is fantastic vehicle.

Thar is pretty uncomfortable on long journey's, not sure how the five door will fare. Fortuner to my eyes is fairly overpriced for what it offers & wouldn't seem that big of an upgrade.
Ashutosh_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 09:42   #10
BHPian

RWD cars in itself are a rarity. Bolero Neo is the most affordable and you might not be interested in that. Your best options might be to wait for a 4 door that or pickup the Scorpio N. In the used market there are many options though. The Duster & xuv500 awd come to mind. An outlier might be Grand Vitara Allgrip. It's a very practical car.
Old 1st November 2023, 12:09   #11
BHPian

Wouldn’t it be possible to get a stephney tyre fitted to the rear door of the ScorpioN? Would make the rear look more palatable

Last edited by rxpaul : 1st November 2023 at 12:10. Reason: Spelling error
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think if you have lived with a Mahindra for so long and are well versed with its service stations/way they work, best would be to go for a Scorpio N and if you can wait, a 5 door Thar.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 12:38   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Classic misses out on split seats for the middle row, which are present in my S10. Moreover, the android infotainment screen looks like an aftermarket unit, and doesn't go as well with the interior as the stock unit.
I believe it's being made on a similar platform to the Scorpio-N, and it might just be slightly better on the road than the 2-door. Although, the Scorpio-N, as you mentioned, will always be more refined and loaded.
I was not aware of these misses as I had not bothered to check. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
I did, and I'm certainly impressed by the way it drives and looks from every angle except for the back. The rear profile, as I mentioned, is not entirely to my liking.
Agree, I too am not warming to the rear design. In-fact, design as a whole is bit lukewarm.
Quote:
By the way, I've read a lot of your posts earlier about the Red Scorpio S10 4WD you had when we bought our Scorpio. I was in school at that time, and it looked beautiful to me as a kid, and still does as an adult.
Do you still have it?
If yes, what do you plan on upgrading to from here?
I have a Scorpio S10 4WD, but in black. Yes, it's still with me, has done some 1.08L kms and doing just fine, so plans to upgrade just yet.

Thanks for your kind words.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 13:09   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

You could wait for the 5-door Thar next year. Alternately, the Scorpio-N. The rear is not great, but not that bad. If the rest of the vehicle - interiors, driving and comfort all tick for you, then suggest not to strike it out.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 14:02   #15
BANNED

Your post is screaming for the ScorpioN. It is a considerable upgrade over the Classic even if you go for base to mid variants. If your father isn't too concerned about feel-good features and can wait a few weeks, the Z4 4x4 would be my pick. It ticks all the boxes in your list while giving you a go-anywhere vehicle.
Amrit@wheels is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks