Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2023, 14:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Used car for 3 - 5 lakhs? My 1st car as a new driver

Theres a BHPian owned i10 Grand for sale in Bangalore. Why not have a look at that?

Asking is a little higher than that of the Swift - but no transfer charges, registration charges, flight charges to Delhi, etc. and it is enthusiast owned.

Negotiate and come to a fair price if the car is clean.

Plus automatic - a boon in Bangalore traffic!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 15:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Suggest that you stretch your budget to about 6L and try out an Aura /Dzire/Tigor or Baleno.The reason for this is that the average car size in India is now about 3.9m-4m in length, which is longer than what it used to be about 10 years ago when small hatchbacks still ruled the roost. As a first timer you will get into the " right size" right away and prepare yourself for larger cars ahead.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 25th October 2023 at 15:28.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 15:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanther13 View Post
I am planning to buy my 1st Car as a newbie in Driving so Used Car is the choice for me.

Thinking of getting a Used Petrol car in Delhi NCR area.

NOTE: Going to send it to Bangalore as did not find a lot of options in Bangalore.

Budget: 3-5 Lacs.

Important Criteria:

0. No Major Accidents.
1. <50k Kms on Odo. (Little Negotiable)
2. Only 1st Owner.
3. Make 2015 and above.
4. Manual Transmission. (Want to start with this obviously)
5. ABS / Airbags.
If you're going to stay and use this car in Bangalore on a regular basis for more than a year, consider getting the used car with KA registration. It's simply not worth the hassle of re-registration for the few pennies you will save in this budget category.

If you've already obtained your license, I would suggest you get an Automatic Transmission (AT) car instead of an MT. The MT knowledge is only needed to pass the DL test and that too at a very basic level that you can pick up at a local driving school. On a daily basis, dealing with an automatic vehicle in Bangalore would be far more preferable to new drivers given the ease of driving an AT. In the recent past, this recommendation from me to all my new driver friends has been well-received given the traffic situation in Bangalore. Also, it will be a lot easier to handle AT vehicles on slopes for new drivers.

Hence my recommendation would be to target a used Honda Jazz CVT. This car will be a good companion even on highways once the itch to do road trips sets in, especially from the crash safety angle.

If you're strictly going to ply the car only within city limits, then you can even consider cars like the Baleno CVT or Ignis AMT.

Other than the sources already mentioned, you could keep an eye out for Honda Auto Terrace, Hyundai H Promise and Toyota U-Trust as well.
KryptonMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 15:58   #19
BHPian

I believe one should start with Auto geared vehicle! one less issue to take care off. Gear is simply a mechanism to move the car, but the road dynamics and navigating the car is more important for a beginner than anything else.
genopv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 17:05   #20
BHPian

Hi, I'll leave the choice of brand/make to you, but would advice here to buy a KA registered car from Bangalore if you intend to drive it for more than 12 months. There are plenty of choices in used car market. You can check with used certified cars from some reputed dealers such as Popular Automatch or even Maruti's and Hyundai's own certified used car dealerships. They also offer 6 to 12 months warranty. I bought a Figo TDCi from popular Automatch and it was a clean deal. They also replaced the clutch under additional warranty. Try OLX. There are plenty of cars posted directly from owners. You can also check Tbhp's own classifieds.
Happy hunting and welcome to the crazy traffic of Bangalore. I am sure you will become a expert driver in a short period of time.

Last edited by Pkumarblore : 25th October 2023 at 17:08.
Pkumarblore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 20:38   #21
BHPian

Since it's a first car for you (and that is always a special moment in one's life!) you will enjoy it most when:
1. It is simple to drive, maneuver and park
2. Is Low on maintenance
3. Is kind of like "fill it, shut it, forget it" as the old ad went

I would say, consider a NEW Celerio, WagonR or even Alto, as they meet all the above criteria, and then some! Drive with no stress, and low costs.

All the best, and I hope you have a great relationship with your car!
pheru8b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 20:56   #22

There's one decent Grand i10 I found on Spinny that you could definitely check out.

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...n-bangalore/s/

Only 11k kms on the odo for slightly above 5.87 lakhs in Bangalore. The only red flag I see here is that there seems to be some chipping on the front windshield. This was the case with most 2015's I saw on spinny. What do you think?
Arshzh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 00:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

Happy Dussehra to All

I am planning to buy my 1st Car as a newbie in Driving so Used Car is the choice for me.
I am 30 and married, belong to Delhi NCR and work in Bangalore.

NOTE: Going to send it to Bangalore as did not find a lot of options in Bangalore.

Budget: 3-5 Lacs.
Please feel free to add any suggestion/advice or things i may be missing. Planning to finalize by end of November 2023.
Hi @blackpanther13,

I had provided my experience and suggestions on a similar topic in the below post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post5545977 (Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months)

As you mentioned that you are a beginner in driving and going for a first-time car purchase, let me reiterate my suggestions:
1. Going for a manual may be a regretful choice – even if you have driving experience, driving your OWN car in heavy traffic will be tough. A manual car makes it tougher. Unless you have manual cars available from your friends/ relatives to drive, my suggestion is to go for an automatic.

2. Spending 5 Lacs on a second-hand car might be good for people who are in this type of business and swap cars periodically. Getting cheated is very easy in this domain. So be careful.

I recently came to know about one of my former colleagues who, a rookie driver, purchased a brand new i20 manual car. It took him more than a year to be comfortable in pushing to 3rd gear, here in Bangalore traffic. I also know one of my classmates who got cheated by the second-hand vehicle market, in Pune. He purchased a used Bajaj Pulsar bike and during its service, he came to know that its chassis had a bend and many parts fitted in it were local/substandard. The mechanic told him that the bike seemed to be totalled/wrecked in an accident and then repaired.

I have no intention of scaring you with these details. I just wish you to be aware of the choices you make and the biases you might have.

Owning a car will have way more emotional experience than any gadget you have ever used.

Peace of mind, ease of driving, memorable experiences, and the safety of your family… All are priceless. Never compromise on these.

Please go through all the inputs you get here in Team-BHP and make a learned decision.

May your new car bring you years of joyful experiences. Enjoy every single drive. Have a safe and enjoyable ride ahead!
Briarean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 21:08   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am 30 and married, belong to Delhi NCR and work in Bangalore.

I'd suggest going for an Ignis (like I did from Spinny)! There are plenty of less used Ignis Zeta/Alpha regularly available on online platforms like Spinny. Its quite a pocket rocket and punches well above its peers on features that make a difference in day to day usage. Both MT and AMT are available in good numbers in Pune / Mumbai regularly. I'm guessing it will be worth a check in Bengaluru as well.

Especially with its tall, compact dimensions - it is a hoot to drive in the city, and doesn't compromise on the engine like smaller 3 cylinder engine cars do. Is quite good at handling bad roads / horribly made speed breakers as well. If its Pune friendly - I think it is Bengaluru friendly . Do go for a Zeta at least though. Don't go for the Sigma/Delta. With a Zeta you pretty much get everything one needs and don't have to spend again on any upgrades. You even get steering mounted controls, rear wiper+defogger, alloy wheels, electric folding mirrors and 4 + 2 speakers!

Last edited by Reinhard : 17th November 2023 at 21:14.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:03   #25

I think the best option is to stick with a Maruti for peace of mind, in this case, I'd suggest taking the 2015 Swift ZXI with 36k kms on the odometer. Seems like a safe choice to go for.
P. S. - Any photos of the above car available from Spinny Goregaon?
Saucyboii2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 22:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

General advice: Don't learn how to drive in a "nice" car. It's a painful experience seeing your pride and joy get damaged due to newbie errors.

If I were you, I'd do the following:
  1. Get any Maruti/Hyundai that is mechanically sound. Cosmetic damage, features, model, etc. don't matter, since the car's purpose is to get you experience with driving and vehicle maintenance.
  2. Go as cheap as possible.
  3. Get a manual so you learn how to drive one. It is a useful life skill.
Quote:
If required, I am assuming a full body Dent Paint will cost around 25k. That's Max for Exterior refresh? (Is it advisable to go for it? Right after I get the car or after sometime?)
Keeping another 25k for accessories and any other stuff.
Would suggest you don't bother with any of these. The car needs to be mechanically okay so you it doesn't leave you stranded but you should treat it as a temporary beater car - one in which you learn. You will invariably cause dents and scratches because you're learning + you're learning in Bangalore traffic!

After six months or so, you will be comfortable with driving. Then take the call on whether to retain it or trade it in for something else. You can probably trade in whatever you buy for roughly the same price that you paid minus dealer margins.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 17th November 2023 at 22:15.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 12:41   #27
BHPian

I was in the same boat as the OP 1.5 years back.

I was a new driver and needed a small reliable safe car as my first car. I searched Cars24, Spinny in Chennai for low run used cars and waited patiently for 2 months to find a car I expected. A 4 year old 21000km run top variant Honda Jazz petrol for 5.6 lakhs.

I am satisfied with Honda's reliability, good after sales service. I learnt to drive and covered 9000kms in the past 1.5 years.

My advice is to search daily in used car websites for a low run car in good condition and wait patiently for the car which meets your requirements.

Last edited by Arwin07 : 18th November 2023 at 12:46.
Arwin07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 15:57   #28
BHPian

If you’d like, you could take a look at the classified of my car. Ticks all the boxes you have and car is registered in Bangalore too.
automowheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 12:42   #29

Hi fellow BHPians,

First of all, Thanks a ton for all your valuable suggestions. It certainly helped clear a lot of things. After trying a lot, I couldn't find any good Hondas (Amaze/Jazz). and I apologize for the delayed response.

In 1st Week Nov, Me/my Father and Brother test drove some options at Spinny Gurgaon and booked 2nd option in my original shortlisted Cars i.e., Swift Zxi 2015 with 64K on Odo.

We got all the Service history checked from a Maruti showroom using the Chassis/Vin no. There were no major accidental claims, and all services were carried out at suggested intervals. Service guy from Maruti suggested to go for it at around 4-4.2L.

Pretty soon after that, I finally went ahead and bought it.
I was able to get it for 4.4L (Including Fastag/ ICICI Comprehensive Insurance/ RC Transfer/ PUC).

Since then, me and my brother have driven it around 1500kms (In City/ On Highways/ in Heavy Rain / Day-Night both). Fortunately, i did pretty well without any issues.

After being in Bangalore for 5 years, I totally understand the suggestion to go automatic. However, as I have 2 manual Cars at home, I stuck to Manual for now.

I have bought some basic accessories for now like Mats, Key cover, Door visors, Window shades, Perfume, Phone Charger, and mount. Will be helpful if you can suggest a good Body cover brand and other essential accessories I should add as a new driver.

Confused about installing L sign, as a new driver BUT holding a valid Permanent DL already.
blackpanther13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 17:04   #30

Need buying advice for a safe and reliable used car in a 5 lakh budget

Background

I am 35 and we are family of 5 myself and wife live in Hyderabad with my 3-year-old kid, and my parents live in my native place. I have been driving for the past 12 years. I am a safe, sedate rider with 75000+ kms in our family car, Toyota Etios Liva with no major accidents (touch wood). My family has been owning cars for the last 20 years although outside of our country.my father bought Nissan maxima pre-owned and then moved to Nissan Altima brand new afterwards, both are CVTs.

As I have settled in Hyderabad, he usually comes to my place from our native which is nearly 650 Kms, on our Liva at least once in 2 months, which has clocked over 130K kms and counting.

As I do not want him to drive these long distances at this age of 64. I am planning to buy a car that is automatic. So, he can commute within the city with less strain on his legs and commute intercity from our native on public transport.

The car will be used sparsely and will be 95% city ride.

Requirements

• Budget 5 lakhs, pre-worshipped car,Non-negotiable on price.
• With my very low running and weekly two days running, Petrol car will be sufficient.
• I need a reliable, fuss free ownership.
• Need a safe car. 4- or 5-star safety rating.
• Though 95% of the drive is in city, there will be occasional long drives of max 400 Kms
• Minimum 2 airbags, ABS. Additional airbags, ESC are good to have.

Thought process

Though all the above requirements scream Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai hatchbacks, I don't consider them for lack of safety.
I am searching for pre-worshipped cars through Spinny, Cars24.

Options Finalized

I Have shortlisted these cars 1. TATA Tiago XZA 1.2 AMT and 2. Honda Jazz 1.2 i-Vtec V CVT.

I am stuck in between a rock and a hard place.

One is a brand that is notorious for quality and nightmarish service issues (TATA). And another brand (HONDA)which is giving me a bit of anxiety about them shutting their shop in our country, and really had a reputation for being anti-consumer as most of their spares are available only through ASS and not from outside sources.

I am planning to do all the future services through FNG.

Used car for 3 - 5 lakhs? My 1st car as a new driver-jazz-vs-tiago.jpg

I humbly request the members to weigh in and give your thoughts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks