Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 10:19   #46
BHPian

Re: The driver's car conundrum - Kia Seltos or VW Virtus?

First of all, thanks everyone for engaging on this topic, it now feels like my dilemma is not mine alone.

I finally got to test drive the Kia DCT yesterday and I must say it's pretty impressive, the ride is a little stiff, but I take it as a good thing. However, when I sat back in my Vento after a 10 km+ test drive in the Seltos, I still felt the Vento had better dynamics and more "solid", I also felt the Seltos' driving position a little too high even at its lowest

So, my decision has been made for now, I will cancel my Seltos booking and keep the Vento & maybe give it a mid-life spruce. I will look a bit wider as suggested by few including the certified used car options for the European big 3/4.

The XUV petrol is something I did check but that wait time for the AX7L (give me an AX5L M&M) just kills all the mood, not interested in buying a diesel.
If nothing else turns up, I will wait for the next model year Virtus and hopefully VW addresses some of the deficiencies with its package.

Thanks again for invigorating discussion!

PS: If someone is looking to sell a 2020+ L&K Octavia TSI, please drop me a DM

Last edited by Bhodrolok : 28th July 2023 at 10:20. Reason: typo
Bhodrolok is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 10:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I would prefer VW DSG any day over other implementations.

So true! There are concerns about the long term durability of DSG, however the that it brings in when you press the accelerator is unmatched. The build quality of the car is so evident 7/8 years after. As they say, the car is ageing so gracefully that it is very difficult to match it up with any new car. It feels that the there is no good replacement in the same segment, an upgrade to a higher segment is must to enjoy some satisfaction.

Seltos looks a good car, however I am doubtful about the built quality, I dont like cars that start making some creepy sounds from somewhere. I have yet not TD Seltos or Virtus, but planning to do so soon.

I am seriously considering a used car from a segment above, lets see how that goes!
Old 28th July 2023, 11:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
First of all, thanks everyone for engaging on this topic, it now feels like my dilemma is not mine alone.

I finally got to test drive the Kia DCT yesterday and I must say it's pretty impressive, the ride is a little stiff, but I take it as a good thing. However, when I sat back in my Vento after a 10 km+ test drive in the Seltos, I still felt the Vento had better dynamics and more "solid", I also felt the Seltos' driving position a little too high even at its lowest

So, my decision has been made for now, I will cancel my Seltos booking and keep the Vento & maybe give it a mid-life spruce. I will look a bit wider as suggested by few including the certified used car options for the European big 3/4.

Thanks again for invigorating discussion!
Great decision to drop the Seltos, you really understand driving dynamics and that's important to you, the Vento and the Rapid were gems in this area, more so any of the Skoda-VW Cars are better driver's cars than Kia/Hyundai. Moreover, the current 2.0 models of Skoda-VW have cost-cutting quite evident as compared to those of old. So keeping your Vento for now is the best decision!
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 13:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, when I sat back in my Vento after a 10 km+ test drive in the Seltos, I still felt the Vento had better dynamics and more "solid", I also felt the Seltos' driving position a little too high even at its lowest
Once you are used to European cars it’s very difficult to move out. Atleast I definitely can’t. My city beater car is a 2022 model i20, which is well build by Hyundai standards, but I find more confidence in driving my cousins 10 years old Polo which has aged so well. Even VAG 2.0 products feels much more solid and safer than Hyundai / Kia.
I know it’s personal preference, but in my i20 even at the lowest seat setting I feel I am sitting high up. This can only be worst in Seltos. So difficult to move to a SUV is your preference is sedan.
Your decision is good
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 19:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will wait for the next model year Virtus and hopefully VW addresses some of the deficiencies with its package.
This is a good decision you took. Even if you were not happy with Seltos, it's a braver decision to hold onto a current ride (New car bug really stings HARD!), and not get swayed by the half baked current VW/Skoda 2.0 offerings. Hold on for a couple of years, by then the VW group may have sorted their mess, or you might get a better N Line sort of car from Koreans, or you may upgrade to the luxury marques (maybe even used)!

I see this as a major win for you.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

The default advice here seems to be that fun to drive equates to German cars. Unfortunately I think that it all depends on where you drive and the conditions in which you drive.

I have owned a Polo GT and now an X1. Have owned a few Maruti cars too the latest being a Baleno RS which replaced the Polo much to a surprise of a lot of people who never expected going back to a Maruti after VW.

The fact of the matter is that I always felt that the Germans cars delivered involvement and the optimum performance in very fast moving traffic or perhaps open roads with less traffic. However a regular traffic and low speeds the RS was a lot more fun than the Polo and the X1. I also test drove a Venue N line and a Slavia 1.5 DSG back to back. Surprisingly it was the Venue that had me sold on its fun to drive factor.

Bottom-line test drive them all in conditions that you expect to use them and decide.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 12:34   #52
BHPian

I have gone through this route over the last few months and picked up the Virtus GT Manual. But that doesn't mean that it could be the right one for you. As many have suggested, drive both extensively, have a head vs heart discussion, and choose what will keep you happy for the use cases you will have for your car.

Seltos is an Excellent car, and the new version seems to have improved on many levels. The Virtus GT has its strengths too, though, as you said, the interiors aren't exactly hitting it out of the park.

the Seltos variant with 1.5 Turbo will ensure that you are never short of grunt, for sure. And it has more creature comforts. And a slightly roomier rear seat.

For me, the choice for the Virtus GT manual was largely based on a few priorities I realised I had ( much later in my journey to finalize a car ). 1. Crash Safety 2. Sedan body type and the advantages it offered ( this came up as a priority much later, as none of the "SUVs" gave me that connected feel - this is a purely personal bias ) and 3. Ability to cruise on highways at good speeds for long periods ( there were many contenders for this case anyway ). 3. The driving seat and its compatibility with my ergonomic needs. Creature comforts and tech ( including panoramic sunroof, auto this and auto that ) were nice to have, but not a major priority for me.

Your priorities could be different, so the best thing to do is to think of the pattern of ownership you will have, and what makes you happier in the longer run. At the end of the day, there is a strong "heart" factor to car buying decisions...

Last edited by Bigzero : 3rd August 2023 at 12:40.
Old 4th August 2023, 11:47   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
However a regular traffic and low speeds the RS was a lot more fun than the Polo and the X1. I also test drove a Venue N line and a Slavia 1.5 DSG back to back. Surprisingly it was the Venue that had me sold on its fun to drive factor.
Safety was also a consideration hence the original dilemma with the Seltos. The Seltos felt unconnected but had decent power but thanks to its dismal safety record decided to cancel the booking and hold onto my Vento for now.

Last edited by Bhodrolok : 4th August 2023 at 11:50. Reason: Added comment
Bhodrolok is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks