Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2023, 15:48   #1
BHPian

Which AWD car within 15 lakhs?

Will be the third car in garage for those drives where you want to take that one further step in adventure but the capabilities of your ride holds you back.
A five seater is preferred.
Comfort and space are important
Though no major hassles in buying a diesel car, but petrol is preferred.
Hardcore 4x4 not a requirement.
Used car in good condition is also an option.
Budget slightly stretchable, not much.
aviator1101 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 17:12   #2
HTC
BHPian

Re: Which AWD car within 15 lakhs?

You can look for well maintained Suzuki Grand Vitara. Interiors if taken good care will put even the new generation car interiors to shame.

Spacious 5 seater. Petrol. Has full time 4wd along with 4H and 4L. 235/70 R16 means big tyres and decent ground clearance. Departure angles are well designed for mild offloading. Bullet proof engine.

Only downside is below 10 FE and expensive spares.
HTC is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 18:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol 4*4 options with pre-owned in good condition - first thought that comes to mind is a low run pre-owned Thar, or a new Jimny.

If you throw in comfort and space then it boils down to a new Jimny.

If you don't need AWD / 4*4 then can consider one of the crossovers : creta, seltos, kushaq, taigun, etc.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 18:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Petrol 4*4 options with pre-owned in good condition - first thought that comes to mind is a low run pre-owned Thar, or a new Jimny.

If you don't need AWD / 4*4 then can consider one of the crossovers : creta, seltos, kushaq, taigun, etc.
Sir,

Hard core 4x4 is not the requirement.

Petrol can be changed to diesel, but trading off AWD is not an option.

And Jimmy seems too cramped for comfortable long distance family tours. So I would stay away.
aviator1101 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 19:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A preowned Compass AWD or Duster AWD will suffice your needs. You can get a Duster from 2019/20 within Rs 10L . A 2017/18 Compass AWD will cost you roughly Rs 15L or a bit less.

Pick anyone of these two with lesser odo reading, full service history and preferably from the 1st owner.

I am using a 2018 Duster AWD, and am happy with it. I was thinking of trading it for a Jimny or Thar petrol, but refrained from doing so, and decided to enjoy the Duster for longer. Spare parts availability is not an issue too.
Same applies with the Compass.

Both the cars will tick all your boxes.
Even if NGT ban comes to picture, you can comfortably use either of these two for the next 5 years.
Diesel, so lesser running cost.
BS4, so no headache for DPF issues.
Comfortable.
Very competent on the highways. Decently fast with good handling.
Enough cabin plus boot space for the long holiday drives with 4 people.
The AWD is quite capable. I have comfortably been to places like Sandakphu, or winter Spiti in my Duster AWD. A Compass will be equally capable off the road, and even better on the road!

I do not think you will need something more cable than this for touring!

The other options can be the Scorpio S11 4wd from 2015-2018, or the Toyota Fortuner from 2013 to 2015. A good Ford Endeavour will be tough to find within Rs 15L. Plus am not sure about the spare parts availability of the Endeavour.

Last edited by Samba : 21st July 2023 at 19:57.
Samba is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Hi @aviator1101, since you are on a budget, you won't find good 4X4 cars within 15 lakhs. I suggest, you extend your budget to around 20-22 lakhs and drive home the new Jimny 4X4 AT.

It is one great car, can do mild to rugged off-roading and surely can withstand any abuse. You can even go for the base Zeta AT, but you might miss out on the 4X4 capabilities. Nonetheless, the suspension tune makes it easy on offroad.

IMHO, you don't need a 4X4 vehicle as you won't be indulging in hardcore off-roading and a 2X2 vehicle will do for you. However, if you surely need a 4X4, the Jimny and the Thar are good contenders, with the Thar missing on seating capabilities, and the Jimny missing out on high-speed capabilities.

If you are looking for something family friendly, go for the Grand Vitara Alpha AWD and have those features and comforts over the Jimny. If you want bullet-proof reliability, go for the Hyryder AWD.
mgastor2022grey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 10:35   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A pre-owned Compass will be best for you. Since you drive an EcoSport, the solid build quality + mature suspension will meet / exceed your expectations. The turbo-diesel is a beautiful motor. Other alternatives = late model XUV500 AWD (space advantage), late model Hexa, Duster AWD (still among the best suspensions <50 lakhs). 4x4s like the Thar, old Scorpio, Fortuner etc. are way too bumpy for your requirements.

New cars = Hyryder AWD, while the 4-door Thar & 4-door Gurkha might be worth waiting for, as it's the 3rd car of the house and these offroaders give you a different kind of "kick".
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 17:49   #8

the Suzuki grand vitara AWD could be a good option if you're ready to stretch to 20L or can get one which is an year old.

Personally, very happy with it - good on road behaviour, capable enough off road (the famed Suzuki all grip system), decent interiors and while the engine is lacklustre, the manual tx makes it fun to drive.
Vroom M2C is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 22:53   #9
BHPian

As you are not into serious off roading, assuming road comfort is a priority, only options are used duster awd, compass awd or a tucson awd.
All three with fantastic engines and good road manners.
robby0707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 00:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Will be the third car in garage for those drives where you want to take that one further step in adventure but the capabilities of your ride holds you back.
A five seater is preferred.
Comfort and space are important
Though no major hassles in buying a diesel car, but petrol is preferred.
Hardcore 4x4 not a requirement.
Used car in good condition is also an option.
Budget slightly stretchable, not much.
From the used car market, given your preference for comfort with AWD, three options are best suited:

1) Compass AWD - Rear seat space is not great but otherwise a wonderful option.
2) Duster AWD - Discontinued but a good option in used car market. Quite frugal to run honestly.
3) CR-V AWD - Petrol and low FE are issues but otherwise a wonderful car to consider.
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:23   #11
BHPian

Compass AWD would be the safest bet, there would be 2018 or even 2019 available with decent odo reading in your budget. Even I am contemplating a used one as a 4th addition to the garage with similar use case of yours. As GTO mentioned, Fortuner would be a bumpy ride however do take a test drive and decide. There would be 2013/2014 ones available within the 15L budget. Good luck with your hunt
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 16:27   #12
BHPian

I would vote against the GRAND VITARA as the car is too old to buy now. Also, maintaining the same would be as difficult or more difficult than a Duster AWD.

So the best used car within that budget is Duster AWD (sold in good numbers and hence would be easy to maintain) or if you are willing to stretch a bit then the Jeep Compass.

I would have suggested the THAR RWD Diesel Variant if " Space & Comfort " was not mentioned in your wish-to-have list!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 22:51   #13
BHPian

I have the 2.4 Grand Vitara. The ride quality and interior still puts some of the newer cars to shame. And it has a certain ruggedness that you feel you can drive anywhere. Parts has never been an issue for me or anyone in the Vitara circle here. Things rarely break and in most cases are cheap. In the last 7 years, I only have had to get work done on the front suspension and that's about it and it's hitting 14 years of age.
joshiviv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 23:24   #14
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the suggestion and guidance.

I could home on to the following AWD vehicles:-
New : Hyryder
Used : Duster, Jeep Compass and Grand Vitara (In the same order of priority based on ruggedness, availability of spares, reliability, etc)
Please correct me if I have gone wrong

Some used options have no AWD in petrol, hence for used, no bar on fuel type. If new, it will definitely be Petrol.
Old 31st July 2023, 08:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Fortuner would be a bumpy ride however do take a test drive and decide.thumbs up
My neighbour owns a BMW X5 and a Fortuner Legender and a Merc GLA and a Polo GT TSi and yesterday they got a Jimny Zeta AT.
His college going son who drives all the cars and looks after them very well, says that of all of the above the Jimny is the most comfy on our pothole and speed breaker filled Bangalore roads.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks