Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2023, 16:00   #1
BHPian

To sell or retain the Honda City Diesel

Hello BHP'ians,

We own a 2014 Honda City iDTEC VMT at home, which was purchased "preowned" in 2017 when the odometer was at 35k Kms and has now run nearly 1.7L Kms (1.68L Kms to be precise). In effect, we did 1.33L Kms in 6 years of ownership, and the car is still in good condition, except it needs timing kit replacement, which I'll be getting during the next service. I recently restored it by getting the whole car repainted and replacing the engine mount and gearbox mouth in December 2022. In March 2023, I replaced the tyres. The car has done 23k Km since December 2022 and 12k Km since March 2023.

A year and 33k Km ago, we got the whole suspension overhauled. In 2022, we spent around ₹2L on getting the car refurbished/restored at ASC itself. Since we had sold off our other car (an Innova) more than a year ago, we decided to get this car restored, assuming that we'd be keeping it for another 1-2 years.

We usually sell off our cars within five years or before that, but this is the only car which has been with us for more than five years and selling off this car never come into my parent's minds yet, even after almost six years of ownership.

To let go of this car, firstly, I need to convince my mom, who is the daily user of this car and drives herself to her office on a daily basis. Whenever I bring up the topic of selling off this car, she tells me to keep my mouth shut as she hates the thought of selling things, and according to her, spending on a new car is just a waste of money. She couldn't find any reason to let go of this car yet except for needing an AT. But, someday, we should let go of some things for something new. To date, the experience with our Honda City is to fill it, shut it, and forget it.

The reasons I want to let go of this car are:

- Need for AT is increasing daily as my mom suffers from leg issues (her daily commute is 20 km a day, and she has only driven MT cars during her more than two decades of driving). Our City Diesel's hard clutch is making it feel cumbersome to drive in city traffic, which resulted in us looking for AT this time. The car will usually be driven within city limits, with occasional highway drives once in a blue moon. Our chauffeur, my dad, and I'll drive this car apart from her.

- Since the car will be turning ten next year, we might be seeing unforeseen or unexpected expenses on this car though the car is running well and the next expense I'd be seeing now is timing kit replacement, which is due at the next service and maybe the car might be requiring 3rd set of the clutch since the 2nd set of clutch has run nearly a lakh Kms (changed during 70k Kms service in 2019)

- In the near future, the car might also see less running, and Petrol would be a preferred option, which is also mom's choice, as there is not much of a price difference between Diesel and Petrol now though we are still okay with getting a Diesel and, if we get a Diesel car now, this would be the last opportunity for us to enjoy the Diesel torque before it goes extinct and also, gives good FE when compared to Petrol, which is an added advantage

The budget for City's replacement would be ₹10-12L if used, and if new, ₹18-20L is the budget, and we don't want to go beyond that. We are ok with getting any version (sedan or C-SUV).

Any replacement car should be equal or similar to our City regarding rear seat space and comfort as we are spoilt with the comfort and space it offers. The FE of our City Diesel has spoilt us (it gives no less than 18 Kmpl in city traffic, even though the car has run nearly 1.7L Kms on the odo) but, since the car will be driven 20 Kms a day, FE will not be much of an issue and anything above 9-11 Kmpl in city traffic will be fine.

Which car can replace our City Diesel?

But, the purchase will take some time since we have to get a primary car for my Dad first (City is the only car at home for now after we sold off our old Innova more than a year ago and had a VW Taigun 1L TSI MT for a brief period, which we returned as nobody liked this car and, we found we could manage with one car).

Last edited by navin : 25th June 2023 at 13:51. Reason: typos, sentence construction, spelling and grammar
car_guy1998 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 19:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: To sell or retain the Honda City Diesel

The Gen4 diesel City, for its lack of refinement and underhand cost cutting, is still a terrific urban commuter. Superbly reliable, cheap to run, light controls and good ride at low speeds, it has its merits.

Incidentally, your car is the same model as mine, is of the same vintage, and has done about the distance too!

It is obvious that your car needs a new clutch. That will make it a lot nicer to drive. But then, the 33000km old suspension will start losing its edge soon.

As for alternatives for a new car, there are only two like for like replacements - the City hybrid and the Hyryder/Grand Vitara hybrid. No petrol car can match the running costs of the iDTEC, and diesel cars no longer exist in this segment. By personal experience, once you are used to 18kmpl, 10-12kmpl becomes painful. All hybrids are automatic by default, and are currently having zero road tax in many states.

If you are OK to forego the fuel efficiency, then simply go for the current Gen5 City in its CVT guise. Alternative option is Verna 1.5 IVT.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th June 2023 at 19:49.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 20:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The Gen4 diesel City, for its lack of refinement and underhand cost cutting, is still a terrific urban commuter. Superbly reliable, cheap to run, light controls and good ride at low speeds, it has its merits.

Incidentally, your car is the same model as mine, is of the same vintage, and has done about the distance too!

It is obvious that your car needs a new clutch. That will make it a lot nicer to drive. But then, the 33000km old suspension will start losing its edge soon.

As for alternatives for a new car, there are only two like for like replacements - the City hybrid and the Hyryder/Grand Vitara hybrid. No petrol car can match the running costs of the iDTEC, and diesel cars no longer exist in this segment. By personal experience, once you are used to 18kmpl, 10-12kmpl becomes painful. All hybrids are automatic by default, and are currently having zero road tax in many states.

If you are OK to forego the fuel efficiency, then simply go for the current Gen5 City in its CVT guise. Alternative option is Verna 1.5 IVT.

Hey Shreyans,

Good to see that your car is reliable even after doing more than a lac Kms. May I know how much did your City iDTEC has run till date? Based on my experience, my cousin too bought a preowned City iDTEC but 2017 one and ZX variant with all bells and whistles earlier this year when the odo was at 72k Kms and already ran more than 10k Kms since purchase. And, I also heard that you are going to replace your City Diesel with new one and which one are you getting as the replacement?

I admit that Hybrids are good option but a bit expensive IMO and since we already booked an Hybrid for dad, which is yet to arrive (Innova Hycross), it makes no sense to buy another Hybrid though an EV would also suffice our usage. But, unfortunately, our Telangana govt hasn't introduced zero road tax on Hybrids yet though zero road tax is on EVs as of now, which will be scrapped soon AFAIK.

Since we had Taigun MT for a brief period of time, got used to that 10-12 Kmpl and even after driving it sedately, it used to give less than that (9 Kmpl). But, somehow, my folks didn't like the Taigun and always preferred City over it. Honestly speaking, Taigun's rear seat is cramped for 3 people while never felt discomfort in City when seated 3.

Sorry for going bit OT in this.

Regarding new car, I'm okay with getting another City but what makes me skeptical to consider another City is the future of the company and somehow, my folks aren't keen on getting another City again since we already own one. I know that a City can be replaced by another City but that's a different story. Regarding Verna, this is my immediate choice after City and TD'ed Turbo Petrol DCT as well as Turbo MT after its launch and Turbo DCT is my pick if Verna though I'm yet to TD the IVT one.

Even Slavia/Virtus too are a good choice and my favourite but due to VW service, decided not to go near it though I still adore them for the sheer driving pleasure it offers as well as its looks and the mileage it offers is also a big bummer (thanks to Taigun).

Another option I'd choose is Sonet D AT though our running won't be much but I'd just go for that engine+gearbox combo. Last year, we had booked a Seltos D AT but had to cancel due to personal reasons though reconsidering the Kia due to that combo.

I'm even okay with looking at used options unless I get the approval from my folks.

Coming to used, saw a MY18 Elantra 2.0P AT for sale at ₹12.5L and ran just 45k Kms, which I felt mouthwatering considering that it was priced around ₹22L when new but concerned about its FE.

And, a used Creta AT would also be a good option but bit expensive in used car market, especially in Hyderabad, due to the demand it has.

Had seen few 5th gen City ZX CVT for sale at ₹13-15L respectively.

And, yesterday, when I was looking for a used car for a relative of mine, stumbled upon a MY19 but registered in 2020 Vento TDI DSG for sale at ₹11.25L at a local used car dealer and ran just 38k Kms on the odo. Had driven this one and I was impressed with the DSG gearbox as well as the condition of the car though front 2 tyres were replaced by previous owner and I immediately gave an offer of ₹10L to that dealer, which he said okay and told that I'll exchange City with this, to which he offered around ₹4-4.5L without even seeing the car, which is satisfactory considering that the car has run 1.7L Kms and us being second owner.

Before City, we owned a Vento in 1.6 TDI guise and that was hell of a monster.
car_guy1998 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 21:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Hey Shreyans,

Good to see that your car is reliable even after doing more than a lac Kms. May I know how much did your City iDTEC has run till date? And, I also heard that you are going to replace your City Diesel with new one and which one are you getting as the replacement?

since we already booked an Hybrid for dad, which is yet to arrive (Innova Hycross), it makes no sense to buy another Hybrid though an EV would also suffice our usage.

Regarding new car, I'm okay with getting another City but what makes me skeptical to consider another City is the future of the company and somehow, my folks aren't keen on getting another City again since we already own one.

Regarding Verna, this is my immediate choice after City and TD'ed Turbo Petrol DCT as well as Turbo MT after its launch and Turbo DCT is my pick if Verna though I'm yet to TD the IVT one.

Another option I'd choose is Sonet D AT

And, a used Creta AT would also be a good option but bit expensive in used car market, especially in Hyderabad, due to the demand it has.

stumbled upon a MY19 but registered in 2020 Vento TDI DSG for sale
Why do I feel the BHPian in you wants to take over your mom’s new car? Fret not, we all think on similar lines here when it comes to choosing new cars.

If this car is really for your mum and primarily for limited local use, then top notch reliability is paramount. To me, that means no DSGs. I understand your family’s aversion to another City for another decade, my family also had the same view. Which is why you need to check out the Verna IVT. That will be my pick over the turbo-DCT for your kind of usage. For the same reason, I will steer clear of a used Vento. You can also consider the upcoming Honda Elevate, it’s the City wearing new clothes.

A Sonet D for city use is a no no, you will be plagued by DPF issues. Cretas hold their value well, though a facelift is imminent which means an associated correction should also be in line.

A left wing option can be EVs. Drive one for a while, and you’ll be a convert for life. My suggestion will be to get your mum to test drive the Tiago EV as well as the Nexon EV. The all new Nexon is due for launch soon, so the new Nexon EV automatically becomes a contender.

Another offbeat choice which will work for your mum and keep you happy at the same time is the Jimny AT. Women love it, it’s the right sized, it looks great and it is actually comfortable for city use. And it’s a Maruti, which means it will be super reliable and not too expensive to own.

My City has crossed 180k km. Replacement is due, no thanks to the 10 year limit on diesels here in NCR. It’s a damn hard car to replace as an economical local use workhorse. Car prices are very high and there are negligible to no benefits on hybrids and even full EVs here in Haryana. Personally, I see the upcoming Punch EV as the right car to take over from the Honda. Altroz/Punch, in CNG+automatic guise would have also worked for me. But such a combination does not exist, unfortunately. Hyryder hybrid base S model was also considered but the waiting period is insane and I’ve had it to my limit with the local Toyota dealer. I am also holding on to a booking of HyCross hybrid. That, however, has no correlation with what I will replace my City with.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th June 2023 at 21:52.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 22:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Which car can replace our City Diesel?

But, the purchase will take some time since we have to get a primary car for my Dad first (City is the only car at home for now after we sold off our old Innova more than a year ago and had a VW Taigun 1L TSI MT for a brief period, which we returned as nobody liked this car and, we found we could manage with one car).
You talked a lot about how the City was primarily used by your mom, but by the last paragraph, I got a little confused. Next car that you would buy would be for your mom or dad, or the same car would be used by both?

Incase the use-case and requirements remain the same which were for your mom, then I would suggest the following-

Used

1) Amaze diesel CVT seems a great deal. You would find a 2 year old at around 9-10L.
2) Amaze Petrol CVT

Brand new

1) Sonet DCT/Diesel AT
2) Updated Seltos
3) Verna IVT
4) City V CVT

Last edited by 07CR : 24th June 2023 at 22:12.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 23:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
You talked a lot about how the City was primarily used by your mom, but by the last paragraph, I got a little confused. Next car that you would buy would be for your mom or dad, or the same car would be used by both?

Incase the use-case and requirements remain the same which were for your mom, then I would suggest the following-

Used

1) Amaze diesel CVT seems a great deal. You would find a 2 year old at around 9-10L.
2) Amaze Petrol CVT

Brand new

1) Sonet DCT/Diesel AT
2) Updated Seltos
3) Verna IVT
4) City V CVT
This car will be for mom but sometimes I myself too drive this car until I buy my own car with my own money. And, to clear the confusion, dad himself is getting the Innova Hycross soon, which will be purely his ride.

And, dad will be using this car occasionally whenever the chauffeur isn't available.

Amaze seems to be a good option in Diesel CVT guise but huge downgrade from City in terms of interiors and getting a well maintained Amaze D CVT is a herculean task. Just FYI, one of my friends had bought an Amaze VX D CVT BS6 in 2020 for around ₹12L and he sold it off for ₹10L after using it for 26k Kms in 1.5 years of ownership last year. Even now, he regrets selling that car and he always says that he used to get 21-22 Kmpl in mixed conditions.
Old 26th June 2023, 12:55   #7
BHPian

It truly is a pinched situation. We got so many cars in range but no car that can be considered a good upgrade. As others suggested I will also say your best options are hybrids.
Go for either city hybrid or Hyryder hybrid. Updated Seltos also is a good option. BS6 Diesels are prone to DPF issues, so my recommendation would be to stick with hybrids.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 13:08   #8
BHPian

Dear car_guy1998 - For your mom need, I think replacing City Diesel MT following things are very important:

1. Check with her if they is okay to drive an AT. If she occasionally drive an AT and is comfortable driving an AT, that's very good. Some time people who are habitual of driving a MT are not very comfortable driving an AT, specially after certain age.

2. If she is okay with an AT, test drive City VX CVT and Virtus / Slavia 1.0L Highline / Ambition AT. Check with her in which car she is most comfortable. I would suggest to get Virtus / Slavia whichever your family is comfortable. Price wise they are almost equal & within your budget. Virtus / Slavia has around 75K discount and City has around 25K discount. My colleague took delivery of Slavia Ambition MT last Sunday with 82K discount (manufactured in April 2023, he bought from Delhi showroom).

3. Get a test drive of Tata Nexon EV Max and see if she is comfortable with it. It may be downgrade in terms of City vs Nexon but owning an EV has different charm plus ride comfort and cost saving is unmatched.

I am attaching a sheet which will give you an idea that with your specific usage, what will be the estimated cost of driving an EV, Hybrid, CNG, Diesel & Petrol car.

PS - Used car prices are very high these days and buying them, in my view, is not a good idea unless you are getting something excellent at a reasonable price.
Attached Thumbnails
To sell or retain the Honda City Diesel-picture1.jpg  

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 26th June 2023 at 13:11.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 15:11   #9
BHPian

Apart from the usual comments about EVs, from a comfort POV, one-pedal driving in cities is a boon. Brakes are used only as an exception.

I have been driving the ZS EV extensively in Bangalore traffic and one-pedal driving with auto hold is a god send in very slow-moving traffic.

If going with EV, just ensure you at least have the capability of adding 15A plug point in the office or home.

Ultimately, since it is your mom driving, give the highest preference for her driving experience and comfort. Costs come later in my opinion.
shyampsunder is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Hi,

In general I tell everyone to keep their cars for a little longer if possible. However, in your case, I feel it's prudent to upgrade since you mentioned about selling the Innova and I'm assuming it's the only car.

If buying used, I would suggest the following

1. Hyryder
2. Ciaz
3. Current City

Taking the used route is what I would suggest

1. Yaris
2. Camry
3. Used Honda City

If you are willing to take a risk and put effort would suggest getting a W211 E280 CDI, W204 220CDI/ 250CDI and keep the remaining amount for upkeep.
cefiljoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 13:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHP'ians,

We own a 2014 Honda City iDTEC VMT at home, which was purchased "preowned" in 2017 when the odometer was at 35k Kms and has now run nearly 1.7L Kms (1.68L Kms to be precise). In effect, we did 1.33L Kms in 6 years of ownership, and the car is still in good condition, except it needs timing kit replacement, which I'll be getting during the next service.
I personally would suggest going for a Corolla Altis if you once considered an Elantra. Because the maintenance/ownership part of that car is sorted.
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe you already have a Innova slated for delivery soon - if so, I would suggest just waiting for a bit before replacing the City.
It's in good mechanical condition - routine maintenance will be there but there is nothing to really write home about.
Maybe better to wait a year - see how the garage pans out once the Innova is at home and the daily running reduces - maybe a EV could be a good addition then for the daily short trips for your mother + miscellenous in-city running around; or a pre-owned diesel torque monster such as an Octavia / Jetta since it would be your last diesel.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 03:56   #13

Hi, I would recommend you sell off the City and get a Virtus or Slavia , the only disadvantage is the mileage.

Given your running and the fact that it's a primary car, I would recommend the Toyota Hyrider with the strong hybrid variant, that car gives a 1000 km of range with a full tank

The main reason I would recommend an upgrade is that you have a lot of running and constantly getting everything fixed is going to be a hassle as it's the only car

Also on a side note, if you're interested in selling your City, I am interested please PM me if you intend to sell it.
Old 6th July 2023, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Since my City is running perfectly, decided to wait for sometime and look for new launches.

And, one more plan I've come up with, is to retain the City as a beater car at home for some time and get a Thar for weekend drives (not yet decided about the engine) as dad always wanted to have one in our garage.
Old 7th July 2023, 13:43   #15
BHPian

Have you thought about Ciaz?
  1. Its cheaper than the competition - top end of Ciaz is 2 lacs cheaper than nearest base auto model of City or Virtus or Verna or Slavia
  2. It comes from a reliable brand and a huge service network
  3. The engine is a proven one
  4. It has enough bells and whistles to make one feel comfortable and sober
  5. The rear seats are as comfortable and as wide as any in the market today

Most Viewed