Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 00:51   #1
BHPian

Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?

Dear Bhpians,

Never thought I would post in what car section as I’m ‘the go to guy’ for car / bike suggestions in my family and friends. But I’m in a tough situation. Me and wife are not able to decide a car for our daily runs.

Background:

I stepped in the driving world with a Ritz diesel. The torque was addictive and I loved it thoroughly. After about 1.2L on ODO I upgraded to Ecosport Diesel Manual. Drove it for 6 years/ 80K kms sold it and got a diesel Compass S. Six months after selling my Ecosport I regret my decision. Don’t get me wrong, Compass is an excellent car and very reliable. I have done 20K in less than 10 months and have loved every mile with it.

Current Scenario:

Now there are two main problems with my current usage.
1. Mileage - Compass delivers 8-9 kmpl in city traffic and 13-14 kmpl on Highways. I’ve spent upwards on 1,60,000 (including ad Blue) in past 10 months. It would have been 1/2 in case of Ecosport.

2. Parking- there is a lot of parking issue near my shops / showrooms and at times I have to ferry lot of goods in the car. My heart doesn’t want to do that in the Compass + I can’t trust my employees with the Compass.

So we arrived at a decision to purchase a new city runner.

Requirements:

Our requirements are simple Sasta. Sundar. Tikau.

1. Should be able to return high mileage. 18+
2. Should be a SUVish
3. Should be Auto (Diesel)
4. Should be compact.
5. Should be under 15L.
6. Solid build

In short I’m searching for Diesel Auto Ecosport .

Options Considered

1. Nexon EV - Good car but I’ll have to plan my outstation travels & I’m not a sedate driver (range anxiety).
2. Nexon Diesel Auto - Ummmm…don’t know. Not a proper automatic.
3. Thar - Ticks almost all the boxes except for price and practicality. I have my heart set on it but wifey is dead against it.
4. KIA Sonet (wild card entry) - but I’m not sure of taking it on highways due to its poor safety ratings.

Please help me end this dilemma with your valuable suggestions.
knightfurry is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 01:13   #2
BHPian

re: Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
4. KIA Sonet (wild card entry) - but I’m not sure of taking it on highways due to its poor safety ratings.
Go for the Sonet eyes closed. It is the only proper diesel auto in the affordable side of the market. I think you can get hold of the mid HTX variant within your prescribed budget.
Except for the questionable safety, the Sonet is a very desirable car. I was very apprehensive when my relatives decided on the Sonet due to the safety factor. But after driving it my opinion changed completely. It has very good interiors, an attractive design, a refined, punchy and efficient engine. And lets not forget the top notch service experience that Kia provides.

Since you already have a Compass, I would suggest you to go for the Sonet.
Happy shopping!
saikishor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 01:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:

2. Should be a SUVish
4. Should be compact.
5. Should be under 15L.
6. Solid build
Except for Diesel, Vitara Brezza ticks all your boxes. It is SUVish, has ample features, reliable AT Gearbox, good mileage. On top of that, no worry for parts or service. Reliable and compact. Moreover, compatible with BS 6.2 norms.

Test drive it once. See if it works for you.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 07:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Me and wife are not able to decide a car for our daily runs.

Parking- there is a lot of parking issue near my shops / showrooms and at times I have to ferry lot of goods in the car. My heart doesn’t want to do that in the Compass + I can’t trust my employees with the Compass.

So we arrived at a decision to purchase a new city runner.
————————————————————————-
Requirements:

2. Should be a SUVish
4. Should be compact.
5. Should be under 15L.
6. Solid build

In short I’m searching for Diesel Auto Ecosport .

Options Considered

1. Nexon EV - Good car but I’ll have to plan my outstation travels & I’m not a sedate driver (range anxiety).
2. Nexon Diesel Auto - Ummmm…don’t know. Not a proper automatic.
3. Thar - Ticks almost all the boxes except for price and practicality. I have my heart set on it but wifey is dead against it.

Please help me end this dilemma with your valuable suggestions.
I have divided your post into two parts. The part above the dotted line lists the problem/ requirements, i.e.
1. Finding a city car.
2. Should be able to ferry goods for business at times.
3. Can be handed over to employees.
4. A daily runner (in city)- implies that milage matters.

The part below the line lists the options. But here you are worried about safety and highway usage. I assume that the car will also see “some” highway usage? Would you consider Thar for a city use that can be handed over to your employees?

Considering that you already have a Compass for highway runs, you should keep your original need in mind, i.e. everyday use car that can handle goods and can also be handed over to employees.

This will allow you to pick between the two obvious choices, the Sonet Diesel TC or the Nexon (EV). These are the cars you actually need.

Brezza petrol wont return more than 10-11kmpl under any circumstances in city usage and 16-18kmpl on highways. Your Compass diesel is a much better highway companion in that sense.
PaddleShifter is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 08:05   #5
BHPian

Sonet D AT hands down.

It's a Diesel and can give around 15 Kmpl if driven well. Also, it has better TC gearbox than your Compass and that 1.5L CRDI VGT is bomb, thanks to being light weight.

If Sonet, get GTX+ as it has features like 6 airbags (available in HTX as well), rear wiper, ventilated seats.

Your wife may not like the Thar but it's easier to drive in city and, again, the TC gearbox is smooth. But, the only gripe with the Thar is its FE. One of my dad's friends had bought one last year and was telling that its giving around 9-10 Kmpl, which is similar to your Compass. Also, Thar D AT now costs ₹21L OTR and in your budget, you could get Thar 1.5 D RWD, which misses out on AT.

Nexon EV is also a good option unless you have range anxiety but heard that Max version is good and gives more than 300 Kms if driven well.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 08:41   #6
BANNED

The Sonet Diesel AT is the best of the lot, and the HTX Diesel AT costs around 15.7 lakhs OTR Pune, It's got the mileage, a 392-liter boot, and powerful yet efficient Torque Converter Diesel, It's the closest that could come to a Diesel Ecosport that you can get in the market right now.

The Nexon Diesel AMT isn't the best automatic or the best diesel out there and isn't worth considering unless you want to save some cash and go for the base variants.

The Thar is pricey and won't give you good mileage, even if it's the Diesel.
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 09:58   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?

Your mileage figures are pretty low. Is your car an automatic? If not, get it checked. My manual Compass gives 13-14kmpl in city conditions and upto 20kmpl on highways. An easy hack to improve city mileage, at the cost of a bit of ride comfort, is to bump up your tire pressures. Run at 38psi cold, your FE will increase by 2-3kmpl. Compass needs 4 wheel alignment, and it is very easy for the rear wheels to loose alignment without you noticing. You’ll only observe low fuel efficiency and a minor reduction in pick up. Get this checked.

There is no scenario in which a downgrade from Compass to something like a Sonet makes sense. Sonet is a little more efficient, but a lot less of a car otherwise in every way possible. No point looking at the Nexon at this time either, a major model change is just a few months away. Thar is pricey, uncomfortable, and as (in)efficient as a Compass AT.

If you are looking for a car to cut back on city driving expenses, you basically have just two real choices. EV or CNG. CNG gives a lot more options, but they are all manual. If manual is OK, get the new Altroz iCNG with your eyes closed. If you insist on the convenience of automatic, you will have to consider aftermarket conversions. In the EV space, it is best to wait for the upcoming Punch EV. Either way, keep the Compass for highway duties.

If you are clear on letting the Compass go, the ideal replacement for your kind of running are the hybrids. Hyryder hybrid base S model suits your requirements, comes with all essential equipment and is within 10% of your stated budget.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th May 2023 at 10:13.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 10:57   #8
BHPian

Thank you for the overwhelming response folks. On a second thought should I be looking at used car market too? A good vehicle upto 5-6L should work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Go for the Sonet eyes closed. It is the only proper diesel auto in the affordable side of the market. I think you can get hold of the mid HTX variant within your prescribed budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
The Sonet Diesel AT is the best of the lot, and the HTX Diesel AT costs around 15.7 lakhs OTR Pune, It's got the mileage, a 392-liter boot, and powerful yet efficient Torque Converter Diesel, It's the closest that could come to a Diesel Ecosport that you can get in the market right now.

The Nexon Diesel AMT isn't the best automatic or the best diesel out there and isn't worth considering unless you want to save some cash and go for the base variants.

The Thar is pricey and won't give you good mileage, even if it's the Diesel.

Today is the test drive / window shopping day. We are heading to KIA showroom 1st. Even base variant is fine as this will be used typically as a 'GOODS CARRIER' and I don't want to overshoot my budget even for a God created car I have already shed 40 big-ones for the Compass 10 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Except for Diesel, Vitara Brezza ticks all your boxes. It is SUVish, has ample features, reliable AT Gearbox, good mileage. On top of that, no worry for parts or service. Reliable and compact. Moreover, compatible with BS 6.2 norms.

Test drive it once. See if it works for you.
We as family have outcasted Marutis from our Garage and Shopping list. Flimsy build quality and absence of diesel are the reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Thar for a city use that can be handed over to your employees?
Thar being built tough I don't mind anyone driving it anywhere. Also in our overcrowded cities Thar is the best antidote to the bullies with Black windows and nearly invisible number plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
This will allow you to pick between the two obvious choices, the Sonet Diesel TC or the Nexon (EV). These are the cars you actually need.
This is the rationale my dad has been pumping since day one. But being a true Blue T-Bhpian the heart wants what it wants. I hope sense prevails and I pick a EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Your wife may not like the Thar but it's easier to drive in city and, again, the TC gearbox is smooth. But, the only gripe with the Thar is its FE. One of my dad's friends had bought one last year and was telling that its giving around 9-10 Kmpl, which is similar to your Compass. Also, Thar D AT now costs ₹21L OTR and in your budget, you could get Thar 1.5 D RWD, which misses out on AT.

Nexon EV is also a good option unless you have range anxiety but heard that Max version is good and gives more than 300 Kms if driven well.
100% agreed that Thar won't serve the purpose except anyone can drive it. But I wanted to own one before Diesels become extinct.
Looks like my mind is tilting towards EV as it will be most suitable for the current use case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Your mileage figures are pretty low. Is your car an automatic?

If you are looking for a car to cut back on city driving expenses, you basically have just two real choices. EV or CNG. CNG gives a lot more options, but they are all manual. If manual is OK, get the new Altroz iCNG with your eyes closed. If you insist on the convenience of automatic, you will have to consider aftermarket conversions. In the EV space, it is best to wait for the upcoming Punch EV. Either way, keep the Compass for highway duties.

If you are clear on letting the Compass go, the ideal replacement for your kind of running are the hybrids.
Mine is a Diesel Auto and I believe that's standard mileage for this drivetrain engine combo.

The 1st car that came to my mind was Altroz but we want a auto with boot space so after market CNG is out of question.
Since morning we have been discussing EV as an option too. Tiago EV is perfect for daily runs of about 100kms.

I'm not planning to let got Compass anytime soon, this car is a keeper. So highways duties can be handled by Compass. I have longed for this car from a very longtime and I LOVE IT
knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 11:10   #9
HTC
BHPian

I see high running, fuel efficient and utility as major considerations.

I would suggest to keep the compass as your personal car and buy a bolero or ecco( only 7 seater costing less than 7 lacs) for your business/staff purpose. Should serve your requirements well.
HTC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC View Post
I see high running, fuel efficient and utility as major considerations.

I would suggest to keep the compass as your personal car and buy a bolero or ecco( only 7 seater costing less than 7 lacs) for your business/staff purpose. Should serve your requirements well.
This car will be for my personal use only but occasionally driven by my staff and ferry some material under 300 kgs from point A to B.

ECCO isn’t even an option - 1) no diesel / electric 2) no auto
Bolero - May be if it’s highly fuel efficient and has automatic.
knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 12:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Requirements:

2. Should be a SUVish
4. Should be compact.
5. Should be under 15L.
6. Solid build
Why don't you look at the Tata Altroz?
Thought the Diesel + Auto isn't available anymore, you can try the Diesel + MT or the Petrol + AT. Will fit comfortably into your budget, the saved money can be used for fuel bills or mods! Can't think of a better workhorse than this one!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 19:55   #12
BHPian

Folks, we had planned to visit 5 showrooms today. We planned to visit TATA, Renault - Nissan(Kieger - Magnite duo), Mahindra (Thar), Byd(E6) and KIA.

We started with TATA first, we test drove the Nexon EV Max. It was a familiar vehicle as we already have one in the family. The current OTR Pune is 20.62L which I believe is expensive and way out of my budget. Nexon diesel XTA lux was 17.XX L on road which was overshooting my budget by 2.XX L. We felt both are not VFM package. The most sore point was the subpar Infotainment display.

We moved to KIA next which was surprisingly empty while TATA was full of customers. We walked in for Sonet AT and ended up with test driving the IMT. The mid variant HTK Plus is costing 12.XX on road with BH registration. The diesel IMT is a fun car, within budget and a respectable FE. Its handling is nowhere near Ecosport but I can live it since it will be a city car. We liked it and returned back without going to any other showroom.
Now my question is ..Is IMT reliable? What are the actual FE numbers and how is the long term review? Should I go with AT or IMT? And should I overlook the safety ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Thought the Diesel + Auto isn't available anymore, you can try the Diesel + MT or the Petrol + AT. Will fit comfortably into your budget, the saved money can be used for fuel bills or mods! Can't think of a better workhorse than this one!
We need an auto that’s not negotiable. Altroz was my first choice. I wished they had launched a diesel auto.

Last edited by knightfurry : 28th May 2023 at 19:57.
Old 28th May 2023, 20:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Nice idea. Tata Altroz iCNG..perhaps?
Altroz really looks futuristic and cool and those 90 degree opening doors are just phenomenal.
Old 29th May 2023, 11:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We need an auto that’s not negotiable. Altroz was my first choice. I wished they had launched a diesel auto.
I'd still consider the Altroz Petrol DCT. Top variant should be 11.xx L OTR, which will leave you with plenty of money from your budget to account for the higher running costs of the petrol. The market is also migrating away from diesels, and we could see resale of diesels plummeting soon.
Old 29th May 2023, 15:18   #15
BHPian

3000kms per month is lot of driving, the best option if you are considering a safe and new automatic car with good fuel economy it's the TATA Nexon Diesel AMT.

Go for the maximum extended warranty possible, within 3 years you will cross 1,00,000 kms and would have saved a lot of money because of the excellent fuel economy.
Tvk1991 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks