Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2023, 16:07   #16
BHPian

Re: Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?

I think the Nexon Diesel will tick almost all your requirements, except that it is offered with an AMT.

The Sonet seems to be well priced but the build quality is still a questionable thing.

Assuming that this car is mainly going to be used for city runs, I’d suggest the Nexon EV Prime. Good build, a Compact SUV, and no mileage worries.
Auto spawn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 00:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'd still consider the Altroz Petrol DCT. Top variant should be 11.xx L OTR, which will leave you with plenty of money from your budget to account for the higher running costs of the petrol. The market is also migrating away from diesels, and we could see resale of diesels plummeting soon.
I’m not comfortable with a dual clutch, based on what I’ve read in the forum it tends to overheat. I agree the market is moving away from Diesel but it won’t stop completely. The rural still has a lot of demand for diesel. Also with E20 and other nonsense coming up in petrol it is going to be a headache refuelling the car in rural parts where petrol adulteration is more common compared to diesel. So for now we have shelved the petrol option all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice idea. Tata Altroz iCNG..perhaps?
Altroz really looks futuristic and cool and those 90 degree opening doors are just phenomenal.
Altroz CNG is very well engineered package and we liked the overall design. There were two sore points for my family.
1. Since we have disposed off all our hatch backs / sedans none of us are now used to driving a low slung hatch.
2. No auto. We have only one Ecosport Diesel manual rest all cars are autos. One of the major reason for buying autos is comfort for my aged parents and ease of driving for my wife and sister in law. They shouldn’t be stuck with a car that they can’t drive in case of an emergency.
3. This is mostly me - I hate the display. I just hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvk1991 View Post
3000kms per month is lot of driving, the best option if you are considering a safe and new automatic car with good fuel economy it's the TATA Nexon Diesel AMT.

Go for the maximum extended warranty possible, within 3 years you will cross 1,00,000 kms and would have saved a lot of money because of the excellent fuel economy.
A ‘respectable’ version in Nexon is costing upward of 16L which is out of our budget. Also with facelift around I think the prices are going to increase. Plus the AMT is jerky the refinement is good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto spawn View Post
I think the Nexon Diesel will tick almost all your requirements, except that it is offered with an AMT.

The Sonet seems to be well priced but the build quality is still a questionable thing.

Assuming that this car is mainly going to be used for city runs, I’d suggest the Nexon EV Prime. Good build, a Compact SUV, and no mileage worries.
We toiled with idea of EV for a while but real world range of prime is 180-190. Is it worth spending so much money on it? Also, I want to wait a further more for a grounds up built EV and not just a make shift arrangements. 2W EVs have matured a lot and we have electrified all our two wheeler range 1 year back. I’m waiting for some product which will cost less and give more range. I was really hoping to see Comet in sub 6L segment but MG crashed my party.
knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 02:32   #18
BHPian

Nexon EV.

It's the cheapest SUEV. Minimal running and ownership costs. Use this as the city car. Use the compass as the highway car. I think you are sorted with a Nexon EV.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 08:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have a similar usage (100 km/day) and have a diesel that runs about 5 km/L. If I had the budget I'd have brought the Tiago EV already I would retain the diesel to cover all other use cases.

The only use case any passenger vehicle won't handle is: ferry goods or handing over the wheel to others.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 11:43   #20
BHPian

Hi Knightfurry - I don't own an EV, but a great EV fan. My suggestion may be very unusual, but will be practical for your usage. Since you will be using the new SUV for mainly business purpose, an EV make sense to you (either Tiago EV or Nexon EV Prime) whichever can handle 300kgs goods weight. For your social status, you have Compass & other cars. Money save on fuel is money invested in your business.

I am attaching a sheet, which will give you realistic savings you may get (this is the minimum saving you will have) over Petrol, Diesel, Hybrid & CNG. All prices are for Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Which car for 3000 kms / month under 15-lakh?-pune-ev.jpg  

GoBabyGo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 11:45   #21
BHPian

The title of this thread is misleading. Your new car is not going to run 3000 KMs a month. Right? You are looking for a fuel-efficient SUVish city runner because
  • You find it difficult to park your Jeep Compass.
  • You are not satisfied with the fuel efficiency of Compass.

So how much money per month you will save on fuel? Assuming your city run is 1000 KM per month, you would be able to save 50,000 per year. Even if I set insurance and maintenance aside, the break-even will hit after 14 years. Hence I think point #2 is not a great reason to buy another car unless you plan to sell Compass.

Now coming to point #1
Can you use public transport/cabs/carpool to commute to the office?

If not, then how about getting a new addictive turbo petrol car like i20 turbo, Citroen C3 turbo, or used Kushaq?

Other options
Used/New 2020 Thar (Sub 4 M, Actual SUV)
Used 1st Gen Thar
Used BSIV Brezza / Creta / Venue
Used i20 NiOs Diesel / Honda WR-V Diesel. They can give you 25KMPL.

I won't recommend a BS6.2 Diesel purely for city use, but if you still like it Sonet / Venue are great options.
dicor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 16:51   #22
BHPian

Try the Tata Nexon diesel if you're looking for a 'comfortable for all the occupants' kind of a car.
Key facts -
1. Superb underthigh support for the rear occupants and seats themselves are very comfy.
2. Suspension that swallows bad roads and doesn't disappoint one on a winding road section.
3. Midrange is really enjoyable.
4. Feather light clutch pedal for the diesel MT and AMT shouldn't bother one if used properly.
5. No DEF required. So no hassle of topping it up from time to time.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 16:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightfurry View Post
In short I’m searching for Diesel Auto Ecosport .
Why not precisely search for this; specifically in the used car market? I am sure there will be plenty of automatic diesel Ecosports available in the used car market. Unless I missed something above, I think you should search for an Ecosport out there. Another offbeat idea- see if you can track down your own Ecosport and get it back.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 17:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
1. Nexon EV - Good car but I’ll have to plan my outstation travels & I’m not a sedate driver (range anxiety).
Not sure if we have already discussed the fuel cost you would be saving running 3000 KMs per month. If an EV could be used for 70-80% of use-cases (trips < 300 KMs) and your Compass does it for the remaining 20-30% of the trips, I think it is the best option you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I am sure there will be plenty of automatic diesel Ecosports available in the used car market.
The Ecosport never had a diesel automatic variant. The diesel came only with a manual.

Last edited by itsashishsharma : 30th May 2023 at 17:08.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 20:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Is it worth spending so much money on it?
Oh definitely yes, especially if you plan to keep it for a long time. I’ve done long runs with my Nexon EV too, Mumbai-Pune round trips and it’s been a pretty smooth experience so far

Quote:
Also, I want to wait a further more for a grounds up built EV and not just a make shift arrangements.
Grounds-up built EVs may take some time. Besides, the niggles on current EVs have drastically reduced. Have friends and family who recently picked up the Tiago EV and a couple of Nexon EVs and they’re enjoying the low cost of running without facing any issues.
Old 30th May 2023, 21:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
The Ecosport never had a diesel automatic variant. The diesel came only with a manual.
Ah, ok. I had always thought otherwise. In that case, I need to refine my viewpoint. Why not get an used Ecosport again? Let it be a petrol manual/automatic or a diesel manual one
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 22:02   #27
BHPian

Hello,

In my humble opinion, buy a used EcoSport Diesel with low running. Since Ford has left, resale values have gone down significantly. So you can get yourself a good deal.

If you are bored of EcoSport, then buy a used Renualt Diesel Duster with low running.

Also, you may see the wildcard Tata Altroz Diesel. It is not an SUV, but still a good muscular solid car. Tata Tiago EV too is good. You already have the Compass for outstation

Further, since you enjoy driving torque diesel, let me pitch in for Mahindra's XUV300. It's diesel engine will give you on demand overtakes on any road.

Two upcoming cars may fit your bill - Hyundai Exter and Tata Nexon (new one).

Last edited by vb-saan : 31st May 2023 at 13:24. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
Old 30th May 2023, 22:30   #28
BHPian

3000 km a month is a lot. Do you really want to do it? Any reliable car will be able to do without any question. However, The Indian road condition can give you a lot high and low frequency vibrations that can be detrimental to the health. If your drive is meant for reaching the work place, please consider changing the location. If there is no other option, kindly consider a car with balanced suspension than the mentioned SUVs. This is my 2 cents.
On4Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 23:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents:

With no offence meant to anyone, my opinion is that there is unnecessary hype being created around the 3000 kms/month usage. And the suggestions so far are clearly skewed based on that. The OP's current car isn't anywhere near this number. Same for his ex-cars.

It's not very clear where this 3000 kms/month figure came from. Is the OPs running projected to increase in the near future? Is there another beater currently with the staff that this new car will replace?

If answers to the above questions are in the negative, I'd suggest the OP to consider a petrol or electric vehicle IF at all you need one. If there is not a strong use case for a cheap beater car, why do you want to spend 10-15 lakhs to offset 8000 rupee increased monthly fuel cost?

The Compass is not going to sit idle even when the second car arrives. Ideally it would, rather it should, cover 500 kms a month if not more. That leaves 1500 kms a month for your second car to cover which doesn't really warrant a diesel (when you already have one) especially with the BS6 woes.

Last edited by self_driven : 30th May 2023 at 23:34.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 23:25   #30
BHPian

A Toyota Hyryder Petrol+CNG option will save your pocket. I think the mid variant should come under 15 lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks