Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2023, 19:07   #31
BANNED

Re: Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

I understand, used car is not everyone' cup of tea.
But, taking a self driving lesson on a rental car with 0 insurance cover is also not ideal. In case of serious damage, you end up paying from your pocket sans a negligible amount.

What I propose, buy your dream car now. Unless you stay in a hilly area or your drive constantly make you use the certain power band, you wouldn't miss a manual. This statement is from a guy who has driven manuals his entire life (22 years). Till your car gets delivered, which is easily 2 months, get a refresher' course (Maruti / locally acclaimed). Yes, refresher' course are different, mostly cover driving practice sans the theory etc.

Once you have your car with you and still lack confidence, you can hire a driving instructor who can accompany you in your new car and help you with the nuances for a week or so. I believe, that should be enough for anyone to be back at wheel, at least in India.

What I believe, a banged up car is banged up car, no mater new or old or rental. There is insurance for that. Get a insurance with NCB protection and multiple claims in a year for 1st year, which will sort you with any fear of dents on your new car.
Old 9th May 2023, 07:27   #32
BHPian

Re: Wife & me want to learn driving | Thinking of practicing on Revv self-drive rental for 3 months

Please go through the accident liability clause of Revv. Most car rentals have a similar clause

Quote:
In the event of damages, your liability is limited to a maximum of Rs 10000. You will need to pay Damage Fee equivalent to the repair cost (as estimated by an authorized dealership) and downtime losses, upto a maximum of Rs 10000. This is independent of the nature and terms of the insurance cover that Revv has on the cars.

Please note that the maximum liability policy is intended to benefit and protect the responsible user. In situations of irresponsible or unsafe or negligent usage, there could be discretionary exceptions to this policy, whereby the user could be liable for all damages irrespective of whether or not Revv is able to claim insurance in such cases.
Source - https://www.revv.co.in/faq

Based on your requirement I would strongly suggest a Brezza AT. Also insurance through Maruti offers you unlimited nil depreciation claims (to take care of minor dings and scratches during the learning phase). Brezza offers high seating position, super reliable AT (Torque Converter), decent mileage (thanks to mild hybrid). Used car prices are atrociously high and interest rates are higher for them. As for parking, invest in a good vehicle cover.

Please don’t go for a manual variant on account of your health issue . The use case of driving a MT(relatives) car will probably be minuscule compared to using your own car. For such rare cases , it might be convenient to hire a driver or a cab. Your body will thank you profusely if you buy an AT instead of MT in the burgeoning urban chaotic traffic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2023 at 12:02. Reason: Link added. Please use a full stop/period to close your sentences.
Voodooblaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 15:09   #33
BHPian

Is there any relatively empty space or roads available in your locality or nearby? Or some roads might be empty in morning time?

Buy your new car. Then take another round of driving lesson for 15 days, first 5 days on their car, next 10 days on your new car in those empty areas or roads. This driving lesson must be 15 days continuous, without any break or not on weekend mode. Drive it slowly. You can plan for a longer session for last few days- 1 hour instead of usual 30 minutes lesson.

As an experienced biker, you already have the road sense. Since you have to opt for AT, no hassle of learning shifting gears without watching which gear it is getting slotted to. All you have to do is grasp the dimensions of the car. Initially keep good distance from other cars and bikers. Gradually you can narrow the gap.

If required, ask the driving teacher to accompany you for some more days (5-7 days). But drive your car yourself. Try to slowly navigate through narrow streets or lanes, congested areas in less than 10 or 10-20 kmph speed, depending on the situation. Just a feather touch on the race pedal- that's it.

Buy the lowest variant of Brezza with 6 speed TC AT. Don't think Brezza is a big car. It's just a Swift with bigger engine and higher ground clearance. If your area is narrow and congested, Ignis or WagonR with AMT. Suggested Maruti Suzuki cars since you are from Chennai city (roads are congested and traffic is slow). If safety is a prime concern, buy the Tata cars (their AMTs are not that good).
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 16:22   #34
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma some time back… Even though I had driving license, my driving skill was very poor. This was because I did not own a car at that time. So, I took some decisions and even though they cost me more, I am happy about them.

I took driving lessons from a reputed driving school in my area. Usually, people take 5-10 days of classes, but I took 30 days of classes. The driving instructor was experienced and after 10 days of class (as I got my “steering balance” and got a little confident in driving), I requested him to take me into traffic jams, narrow roads, and highways where I can get real experience. Fortunately, he agreed. The panic when cars and bikes overtake you (both from your left and right side!), or buses and trucks come from behind is something you will need to experience. You feel more confident when you have an expert with you during these situations. These trainers also help/ prepare you in case of any confrontation with other commuters.

By this time, I had booked my car (Polo - automatic). Once I received my car, I again called the same trainer. I took his guidance to drive my new car carefully and again went to the same traffic jams, narrow roads, and highways. This gave me confidence in driving my own car, as complete control was with me. The trainer had access only to the handbrake (in case of emergencies). I took his services for 30 days in my new car.

As per him, I was the only one who took this much time to get thorough training in driving and he told me that the 60 days of training I had enabled me to drive better than people with 2-3 years of erratic driving experience. Moreover, he also complimented me on going for automatic as it reduced my driving burden to almost 50-60%. I can concentrate more on road & traffic than on clutch & gearshifts.

Regarding the car purchase, even I had the thought of getting a second-hand automatic car. But as a newbie, my technical knowledge of cars was very little, and I know that I had to rely on the opinions of others. So, I thought of going for a new car as it will have sufficient warranties and as it is new, there should not be unexpected issues and repairs.

So, my suggestions are:
1. The initial driving training should be at a reputable driving school. Take your time and make sure you have sufficient on-road driving experience. The cost will be on the higher side, but it will ensure that you get comprehensive training. The 5-10 days classes are only to get the license.

2. Get a new automatic car.
a. New – because you do not have to worry about the car’s health and repairs.
b. Automatic – Trust me, unless you are a young car enthusiast, manual driving is going to be an obsolete skill. Automatic is always better for your health and your future driving experience.

3. Have a trainer ride with you in your new car, for a couple of days. A car from driving school is different from the car you have and once you understand the dimensions of your car, and its driving dynamics, you will be confident in driving it. Having a trainer during the initial days will negate the minor errors that can cause big repairs!!!
Briarean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 00:36   #35
jsl
BHPian

I would suggest you to buy a new car as Pre owned cars are little cheaper or almost same as a new car. Also a new car has its own feel. Regarding your slip disc issue I would suggest you to check out the Baleno/Glanza twins as they have a soft suspension setup as compared to its rival which will be beneficial for you on bad roads in the city. I myself drive a Glanza and it glides over bad roads in the city. And go for the automatic avatar of any car you choose as it will also help with your slip disc problem and will work like a charm in city traffic.
Old 12th May 2023, 10:09   #36

Diverging from topic, can your slip disc be fixed? Normally its a simple procedure and you'll be on your feet in a week. I myself have had much more serious spinal issues (Potts spine) and had to get a 4 level spinal fusion with 7 screws and two 6 inch rods. This was 5 years back and i now cycle almost 20 min daily. Have also ridden a bike for 3+ hours multiple times. Surgery happened 4 years back. Surgery has advanced so much in the last 20 years that pretty much any spinal surgeon can confidently complete this. Please get it fixed. A slip disc is really a minor issue that causes a lot of unnecessary pain.

Mods note: Very good and useful post with suggestion. But requesting everybody please stick to the topic only.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 12th May 2023 at 10:53.
Old 13th May 2023, 15:48   #37
BHPian

You are right, used cars are priced insanely these days, Buy a new car only.

Few Suggestions -
1 - Lower variants of Brezza if you want to go the manual way. Comfortable suspension and good GC in a compact body.
2 - Tata Punch. Currently dominating the sales chart, punch can be a very good option. Excellent suspension for a car costing under 10 Lakh rupees. Both Manual and auto will be in your budget.
3- Ignis - Since the Ignis has been in the market since a while, you may get it at a good price. Both Manual and auto will be in your budget

Since it's your first car, try sticking to mainstream brands as getting them repaired outside will be easy.
Eco_boost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2023, 10:04   #38
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Firstly my builder is delaying completion due to lack of funds. No visibility on when I'll get it.

Secondly I live in the same street as my own house which is a small street with just 6 apartments in total. If I get a car the only parking spot available right now is opposite my own house which is undergoing construction.

Even with a proper car cover i feel unsafe to buy a new car. So I'm tending towards getting a used car for about 4-5L.

I've been browsing spinny for a week now. Seems used ones are heavily over priced like even 8-10 year ones are still at 50% of new ones.

I need suggestions on what models i can keep a look out for and what other factors to keep in mind. Currently these are my below criteria:

1. Single owner
2. Nothing older than 2012 or 2013
3. Petrol - Manual or electric
4. Kms run less than 50-60k

Been looking at Swift, i20 types. Came across a 2015 jazz automatic which had run for 60k kms at 5L on Spinny. Before i could think on it, it got booked.

Is there any other trusted platforms to look for user cars.
Old 18th May 2023, 17:42   #39
BHPian

Guys is this a good option?

https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...whatsapp_share
Old 23rd May 2023, 07:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Any suggestions/inputs? I'm planning to visit Spinny this weekend to find a machine and close out. Kindly help.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th May 2023 at 13:07. Reason: Shortening quoted portion for better readability
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:19   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you want manual for whatever reason maybe, best to find a Honda / Toyota in good condition and close it off.

I wouldn't buy a Swift / i20 as due to it's popularity, resale prices are sky high. Instead look for a Jazz or a Liva : High seating, good safety, and reliable machines.

There is a Liva on the T-BHP Classifieds also here - it is two owners but if the condition is good and can be verified by the Toyota dealership, could be worth considering as well. It's utilitarian, but the forgiving nature + easy to drive + low price + good ride & handling + good safety could be a good option for a temporary car.
Old 24th May 2023, 11:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Since you want manual for whatever reason maybe, best to find a Honda / Toyota in good condition and close it off.

I wouldn't buy a Swift / i20 as due to it's popularity, resale prices are sky high. Instead look for a Jazz or a Liva : High seating, good safety, and reliable machines.

There is a Liva on the T-BHP Classifieds also here - it is two owners but if the condition is good and can be verified by the Toyota dealership, could be worth considering as well. It's utilitarian, but the forgiving nature + easy to drive + low price + good ride & handling + good safety could be a good option for a temporary car.
Ok this just showed up on Spinny - https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...-in-chennai/s/

What are your thoughts? It looks like the entry variant so I will be missing out on integrated maps and stuff. But I think I am ok for 2-3 years before I upgrade to a new car, provided this one is overall a good buy. I can manage with my phone for maps.
Old 25th May 2023, 15:44   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like a good option if the mechanicals are in order : follow the team bhp checklist and if possible for additional security have it checked at Honda A.S.S.
The 50K mark should get the clutch, brakes, suspension checked out once by a professional.

It's a V trim, so mid-level variant that comes with alloys and the like. If you miss integrated maps can upgrade the head unit later on as maybe needed.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 21:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseFool View Post
Ok this just showed up on Spinny - https://www.spinny.com/buy-used-cars...-in-chennai/s/

It looks like the entry variant so I will be missing out on integrated maps and stuff. But I think I am ok for 2-3 years before I upgrade to a new car, provided this one is overall a good buy. I can manage with my phone for maps.
Except the pedals it looks fine but get it checked at an authorised Honda dealer, specifically request for any fault codes.

That brake and clutch pedal wear is not normal for 50K km, I have 2 Hondas, both over 50K kms, the brake does not look like that or anywhere near that worn. If the car was serviced outside, there is no easy way to verify the odo readings.

If you can find documented 6 monthly service visits at the authorised dealer then nothing to worry.

Last edited by AJ56 : 25th May 2023 at 21:41.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 12:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Seems like a good option if the mechanicals are in order : follow the team bhp checklist and if possible for additional security have it checked at Honda A.S.S.
The 50K mark should get the clutch, brakes, suspension checked out once by a professional.

It's a V trim, so mid-level variant that comes with alloys and the like. If you miss integrated maps can upgrade the head unit later on as maybe needed.
Would you know how much Honda will charge for a full check-up? Also what do you mean by upgrade head unit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks