Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2023, 09:41   #31
vij
BHPian

Re: First Car: Hyundai Ioniq 5 vs BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
Even though Ioniq 5 is far better than the X1 in all aspects, I would say to skip the Ioniq 5 due to the below reasons,

1. Ioniq 5 in India is released as CBU, as always CBUs are just brand reputation propaganda (except for the luxury OEMs) to have a better brand image. Also, you are literally paying double the actual value of the car just because it comes under CBU.
Ioniq 5 is actually well priced. Globally it costs more than the X1.
Old 26th February 2023, 09:57   #32
BHPian

I will say go for X1. It looks cool. Yes, it lacks power for the price you pay. If you are using it to drive to the office most of the time, that additional power is not needed. It has enough power for the occasional long drives to cruise at 120kmph all day on the highways.
Old 26th February 2023, 09:59   #33
BHPian

Slightly different take:

1) If you're considering the Q3 (Tech), have a look at the VW Tiguan (Elegance) and spend the remaining on a Tigor EV (XZ+) and it would work out better (VFM) than the Q3.

2) I personally don't agree with the '50L for a Hyundai' statement, as the look of the car, to any stranger is just captivating and becomes unrecognizable as just another 'Hyundai'. My point is that the car's design coupled with the green plates, might not give off a luxury vibe like the German logos, but it's nothing short of posh & elegant!

3) Based on your road-trip usage, I think the charging infrastructure shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Besides, EV infra is improving by the day.
Your sacrifice as an early adopter will benefit others!

Hope this helps!
rishil.ghurki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 10:19   #34
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
I will say go for X1. It looks cool. Yes, it lacks power for the price you pay. If you are using it to drive to the office most of the time, that additional power is not needed. It has enough power for the occasional long drives to cruise at 120kmph all day on the highways.
Agree. But about the perception thing - If I see someone driving the new BMW X1, I would be slightly inclined to think this person is either not knowledgeable or is too interested in "perceptions" or both. More money than sense argument.

If not Ioniq 5, why not Audi Q3?

Last edited by vij : 26th February 2023 at 10:29.
Old 26th February 2023, 13:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Ioniq 5 is actually well priced. Globally it costs more than the X1.
Ioniq 5 is well-priced globally but in India, It is plain-forward about the CBU taxation. As a customer, unless it is a rare or luxury car, buying a CBU is almost equal to double taxation on a consumer good. That too combined as a first car + HMIL (Whose priority is always localized car) is a gamble.

And I also did not say X1 is a better choice as X1 is also a niche overpriced car for our market, but as the BMW brand holds the luxury title and they will continue CBU/SKD route, the model future and service support will remain same.
Old 26th February 2023, 14:12   #36
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Ioniq 5 is well-priced globally but in India, It is plain-forward about the CBU taxation. As a customer, unless it is a rare or luxury car, buying a CBU is almost equal to double taxation on a consumer good.
If we are talking about price, lets talk all aspects of it. What matters is the final price and if it is competitive compared to its global pricing. CBU taxation on EV is lesser than ICE, also Hyundai could be launching at a reduced price to help match its global price. And finally there is road tax waiver for EV that helps otr price.

Last edited by vij : 26th February 2023 at 14:18.
vij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 04:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post
Going to buy my first ever car. The wife and I are unable to agree between the IONIQ 5 and the 2023 BMW X1.

I want the I5 because:

1. I don't mind being an early EV adopter with the IONIQ 5 and putting up with the challenges that might come with EV ownership (road trips may happen occasionally - we live in Delhi, for context).

2. I test drove the EV6 and loved the ride. I test drove the earlier gen X1 and it didn't feel great. I'm used to a Toyota Fortuner and the X1 felt stiff in comparison.

3. BMW has missed out on the little things that matter, by using a poor touchscreen with lag and incorrect input sensing (based on all the videos I've seen). IONIQ delivers on all those little things.

Wife wants the X1 for the following reasons and I do agree with her on these:

1. She likes its design and build. I agree, the X1 looks good. While the IONIQ looks great, the X1 feels more.. price-appropriate? Even on the interiors - while the IONIQ is great, the BMW feels more.. premium?

2. The BMW badge. If you're spending 50L, you'd like a BMW logo over a Hyundai logo. And this argument is hard to tackle since it's irrational.

3. We don't know if the range is adequate for long drives, especially since EV range tends to drop noticeably at highway speeds? Is this going to an annoyance? Like, can I not do 120kmph on the IONIQ without anxiety?

What all aspects should I compare between the two cars?
What are some potential dealbreakers and other aspects I may have missed?
Okay. I think i'm in a fairly good position here to give some opinions on this. I own a F25 LCI X3 and the EV6 and soon to be owner of an Ioniq 5.

First of all, I agree with Shreyans when he said that these EVs are game changers.

Badge and build quality are the only USPs left with the BMW X1.

If you're ready to deal with the issues of early adoption, I don't think it'll be an issue. Honestly, it's only a matter of longer trips and there are alternatives for that. If you're going to go electric, I would say the Ioniq and the EV6 are the best cars you can go for. They run the latest 800V architecture which isn't available even on the 1cr+ EVs right now. The only other cars with 800V architecture are the Porsche Taycan and the Audi e-tron GT and those are both upwards of 2cr. This allows it to charge at super-fast speeds if you find a good charger. No charger in India will provide more juice than what these cars can take.

Not to mention these are some of the most efficient EVs available in India.

While I love my X3, it does feel like it's in the bronze age next to the EV6. The feature list is just obscene on these cars.

The tech is far superior in the e-GMP cousins. So are the ride quality and driving dynamics. The EV6 is actually a stiffer suspension than my X3 but it has a softness to it that smoothens out the harsh bumps. You don't feel it as much. The Ioniq is softer and tuned more for comfort so it'll be better in that respect. Add to that the low center of gravity on the EVs with the weight down low making them surprisingly good handlers.

The performance will not even be a comparison here because of the FWD nature of the X1, it cannot be as fun as the I5. My rear-biased AWD X3 is less fun to drive than the EV6 even when I drive the EV6 in Eco Mode. The I5 will have less weight in the front due to the lack of a front motor and will be just as fun.

Yes 120kph will not allow you to get the most range. Most EVs perform best in the 80-100kph range. And trust me, it takes a lot of control to keep yourself at those speeds because on tap of the Acc pedal and you'll reach higher speeds in no time. the lack of turbo-lag and gear shifts and the instant surge of torque is both addictive and sometimes unnerving. I have stopped doing Sport Mode 0-100 runs in the EV6 because of how intense they are. Rolling acceleration is much more realistically enjoyable.

Lets also not forget that the cabin in the Ioniq is MASSIVE compared to the X1. And unless you're all over 6 ft, the lower seat height won't be much of an issue either. Honestly, it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Add to that, the V2L features that are not only a great party trick, but also opens up so many possibilities when you're on the go.

All in all, I'd say go for the BMW if badge is everything. If not, I don't think its even worth a comparison. Plus going green has it's own bragging rights as GTO said. Especially in a city like Delhi, adopting EVs is definitely a great idea.
venom_op is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 04:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Hmm let's see.

Ioniq 5 vs. BMW X1
--------------------------------
48 lakhs vs. 53 lakhs OTR Delhi

0 to 100 - 5.2 s vs. 9.2 s (funny that BMW is 4 sec slower)
RWD vs FWD (funny which one is BMW)
215 hp vs 134 hp (now this one is not even funny)

Ventilated seats vs. none
360 camera vs none
ADAS vs. none
8 speakers vs. 6 speakers
Front and rear parking sensors vs. front only
Warranty - unlimited kms vs. 40,000 kms
More features vs. some features

Big in all dimensions vs. small
Future proof vs. feeling short changed
The best Hyundai has to offer vs. worst BMW has to offer

Finally, the icing on the cake

Free "fuel" vs. ~ Rs. 120, 000 in annual fuel costs

Seems pretty easy to me.

I had also written this earlier, the IONIQ 5 in developed markets competes with X3 in price and segment, not X1. So, really, it's a great deal here in India.

Go for the IONIQ 5, you'll love it!
Umm slight correction. 0-100 for the Ioniq is 7.5s for the RWD sold in India.

Also not just front and rear parking sensors but 360 degree cameras and let me just say those are the BEST cameras i've seen on any car.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 04:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Even though Ioniq 5 is far better than the X1 in all aspects, I would say to skip the Ioniq 5 due to the below reasons,

1. Ioniq 5 in India is released as CBU, as always CBUs are just brand reputation propaganda (except for the luxury OEMs) to have a better brand image. Also, you are literally paying double the actual value of the car just because it comes under CBU.

2. Unless the Ioniq 5 has plans for localization which as per my understanding is not to, you are literally buying a car that will have poor after-sales support especially since it is not a conventional car, any niggles or troubles will stretch your effort, and time to get it fixed.

3. First-time and only car as an EV in India is not a good decision as the infrastructure is in its preliminary stage, I would suggest an entry-level EV if your concerns are fuel cost.

Again if your intention is to have a stand-out car on the road with short usage and does not care about much ASS or long-term hassle, Ioniq 5 will give you lots of attraction as well as new generation riding experience, Otherwise please go ahead with a proven car in the price segment or get yourself an entry-level EV
1. Ioniq 5 is CKD not CBU. That is why it is 15L cheaper than the CBU EV6.

2. Asked and answered in point 1. It is CKD so localization is imminent.

3. if they're using the car mainly in the city, why does charging infra matter? I charge my EVs at home and dont need any charging infra 90% of the time.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 10:30   #40
BHPian

I would suggest to check out the new Audi Q3 Sportback.

Since you are from Delhi NCR, I would not suggest the Diesel X1, and the 3 cylinder petrol engine feels with around 134bhp is adequate at best.

The new Q3 Sportback with its 2.0L 4-cylinder turbo petrol engine with 186bhp and 320Nm is a much better proposition.

The car is a looker (a mini Q8), has super premium interiors and has a very capable engine. The quattro AWD system is an added bonus for your trip to the mountains in Uttarakhand, Himachal et al.

The only downside is the hit in terms of headroom at the back owing to the sloping roofline which does eat up into the practicality aspect, in which case you can check out the regular Q3.
Old 27th February 2023, 17:14   #41
BHPian

The only thing strongly in favour of the BMW is the "big 3 prestige" factor. Humans are not always rational decision makers, so the prestige factor is not something one can simply brush away. On the other hand, I posit that the green number plate has a prestige in itself. You live in NCR, and the green number plate means you're not directly contributing to the city's air quality problem - instead, you're part of the solution. Shouldn't that be a matter of higher prestige compared to owning a Beemer?
Sure, the under-informed will still say that you made a mistake buying a Hyundai for 50 lakhs. But you yourself are not under-informed. If you buy that X1, or the Q3 like some others have suggested, and win the approval of these people urging you to get a big 3 machine, and an Ioniq pulls up next to you at a traffic light, I suspect you'll feel buyer's remorse because you know the Ioniq is objectively better - not just for you, but for those around you.
SlowRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 19:23   #42
BHPian

Even though I vehemently dislike EVs, Ioniq is a far better car overall than the X1 (I kind of like Ioniq to be honest, I know, self-contradictory but what)

But wait, theres more.
Check out the Q3. Definitely nice.
Just for fun, have a look at petro Scorpio as well.
Old 27th February 2023, 20:11   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Neither is the answer. The new X1 is a wheezing excuse of a BMW and there’s always time for an EV.

Get yourself a Q3. 190hp turbo-petrol, Quattro AWD, effortless to drive, interiors feel properly luxurious.
Perfect answer. A Mahindra petrol(XUV 700) is far powerful than so called BMW.
Also even if road trips are less, I would not want mental baggage of not able to go on long trips on my brand new car costing 50 lakhs.
CommitTran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 21:14   #44
BHPian

Drop the X1 from competition. Its an insult to the earlier BMW cars and highly overpriced. Ioniq 5 or the Kodiaq seems to be a nice alternative.
100Kmphormore is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 21:17   #45
BHPian

Pls check out Kodiaq and Audi Q3/ sportback
yogeshb18 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks