Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2022, 21:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Need a car that can accommodate 3 child seats. What are my options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip_sm View Post
I'm currently using a 4th gen City which can accomodate 2 child seats in the back. I will soon need to fit in 3 child seats. Which cars in a 25 lac budget can manage this? Three row vehicles have issues because third row access gets blocked with 2 child seats installed in the second row. And lack of luggage space with all 3 rows up.

Please suggest.
I would suggest you to check the MG Hector which in my opinion meets almost all of your requirements:

1. Budget 25 lacs - check.
2. Widest rear seat in the segment - should be good enough for 3 child seats.
3. 3 point seat belts for all passengers in the back - no modification needed to setup the child seats.
4. Huge boot - enough to carry luggage for long trips.
5. Comfort oriented suspension - Your family will be happy.

It may not be a driver's car like some of other cars in the segment (e.g. Skoda Kushaq) but, with 3 kids on board I don't expect you to push the car too hard unless you want the kids to throw up at the same time . Go for the Petrol AT which is smooth and very silent.
TheVegabond is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2022, 00:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I'm currently using a 4th gen City which can accomodate 2 child seats in the back. I will soon need to fit in 3 child seats. Which cars in a 25 lac budget can manage this? Three row vehicles have issues because third row access gets blocked with 2 child seats installed in the second row. And lack of luggage space with all 3 rows up.

Another alternative is to continue using the City with the seat of the eldest child moved to the front and 1 adult squeezes in at the back with 2 child seats. This is not very safe because City doesnt allow you to turn off the passenger airbag.

Please suggest.
Hey I was just wondering why do you need to switch off the airbag for your eldest one in case if you're keeping the booster in front. AFAIK, airbags need to be switched off when you're placing a rear facing child seat in the front seat. Please go through the "Installation in the front seat" section in this following link:

https://www.volvocars.com/in/support...ty/child-seats
Goandiaries is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 19:11   #18

Mod Note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Also do trim the quoted post to avoid inconvenience to mobile users. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
I’m not sure if the solution that I’m putting here fits your requirement,
========
Regards,
Lsjey
Thanks for the suggestion. But would like to avoid hassle of maintaining two cars. Its going to be just me, wife and 3 kids; so doesnt make sense to travel in two cars for long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
If you have the budget for it, the new Škoda Octavia also has three i-Size compatible seating positions (front passenger+rear outboard).
Budget will be a stretch. Also, if im making the safety compromise of seating the eldest child in the front, isnt it better if i retain the City for some more time and manage with it?

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2022 at 19:30. Reason: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2022, 19:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goandiaries View Post
Hey I was just wondering why do you need to switch off the airbag for your eldest one in case if you're keeping the booster in front. AFAIK, airbags need to be switched off when you're placing a rear facing child seat in the front seat. Please go through the "Installation in the front seat" section in this following link:

https://www.volvocars.com/in/support...ty/child-seats
Thank you for this. I was under the impression that younger kids (my eldest one who will potentially be seated at the front is 5.5 yrs old) will be injured by the airbag even if they are forward facing. This link makes it clear that i was wrong.
sandip_sm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 00:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if im making the safety compromise of seating the eldest child in the front
I think the Octavia has passenger airbag deactivation.

The bigger question I should ask is, what kind of a seat does your eldest child use? I assumed you were looking for three sets of ISOFIX anchorages, but if you're installing using an adult belt wouldn't any car with two rear ISOFIX anchorages + passenger airbag deactivation in the front (no ISOFIX) suffice?
Old 28th December 2022, 08:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are open to pre-owned, then wondering if maybe a Kia Carnival is worth looking at? I am sure it would be large enough to meet your needs..
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 08:21   #22
Team-BHP Support

Scene in the backseat of my brother's Honda Accord:

Need a car that can accommodate 3 child seats. What are my options?-20221225_181946.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 18:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The XUV700 second row looks like it is wide enough to fit 3 child seats side by side. Has anyone tried/seen this?.
The middle seat has only two point seat belt which cannot be used to mount a child seat. I believe Innova Crysta has three point seat belts.
Old 10th January 2023, 23:01   #24
BHPian

Reading through the posts it looks like your oldest one is 6, middle one ~3 and a new born. Congratulations first of all!

I would HIGHLY recommend Kia Carens (Diesel Automatic) in your budget (yes the safety score is a bit iffy at 3 stars GNCAP). I recently bought one and its a brilliant car "for the money". All 3 rows are usable and you can fit two car seats in the middle row. You can always seat your oldest one in the 3rd row on a booster. The car is big from the inside and yet somehow roughly the size of a Honda City.

The other option is to get a Toyota Innova Crysta GX (Diesel automatic) with middle row bench seats, for around 27-28 lakhs, if you can find it.

Most developed countries do not allow to seat a child under 12 years old in the front seat (or with certain weight/height limitations). I would not recommend you seat your 5-6 year old in a front seat.

I also don't think any cars sold in India at that budget (< 25 lakhs, or for that matter at any budget) would be able to fit 3 proper car seats in a single row.
inwester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 10:28   #25

Apologies for the late post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
wouldn't any car with two rear ISOFIX anchorages + passenger airbag deactivation in the front (no ISOFIX) suffice?
It would, but it's still not ideal to have under 12 year olds in the front. This is what we are doing in the City until we get the new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If you are open to pre-owned, then wondering if maybe a Kia Carnival is worth looking at?
Pre owned will be a hard sell at home. We did check a few pre-owned Carnivals but prices were on the higher side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala View Post
The middle seat has only two point seat belt which cannot be used to mount a child seat.
My infant seat base can be fixed with a lap belt. Took a test drive and the XUV700 was able to comfortably accommodate 3 child seats in the second row. Objectively, this checks every box. But somehow, my wife isnt convinced and the long waiting period is another issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend Kia Carens
Took a test drive, and surprisingly it was able to fit 2 full size child seats and an infant seat in the second row. Can use the third row once the youngest outgrows the infant seat. Have made a booking for 1.5 turbo petrol DCT (manual isnt offered anymore).

In the interim, i was seduced by the innova hycross although its out of my budget and have ended up booking a hybrid VX(O) 8 seater. Now trying to decide between these.
Old 14th April 2023, 15:44   #26
BHPian

Since, an adult is always needed for care and supervision beside the infant or even for any baby less than 3 years old, so even if there is a car wide enough to accommodate 3 child seats in the 2nd row, practically you can only have 2 kids plus an adult in the 2nd row.
Now even 2 child seats + adult in the middle row setup would leave very little space for the adult for any long drive. In our XUV700, after placing a child seat in the middle row, only 1 adult fits comfortably. Accommodating a 2nd adult is ok for only small distances. So 2 child seats plus and an adult would be even more cramped no matter which car.

So your best bet would be cars like Ertiga/ Carens/ Innvova/ Safari/ XUV700/ Alcazar where the 2 elder ones can be accommodated in the 3rd row with their seats, infant and an adult in the middle. Accessing the 3rd row would also not be a problem then. Smaller luggage can go in the boot and the large ones on the roof.
Seating a kid in the front though is not recommended, but if your eldest one has attained enough height to be placed in a booster seat in the front, then you can try that option too. Plus he/she can also work as your DJ and navigator.

Finally, all this looks good in theory, getting all 3 of them to agree to this arrangement is another battle altogether that you would have to fight

Last edited by ishan12 : 14th April 2023 at 15:46.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 01:41   #27

Decided on the Hycross and it is finally getting delivered next week. Both the Carens and the XUV700 can fit 2 standard child seats in the middle row. But i was unable to convince the wife and hence ended up getting the Hycross.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks