Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2024, 16:16   #76
BHPian

Re: Yet another jetta owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_V View Post
I went ahead and restored my 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI AT.
Brilliantly done restoration! If possible, please share the cost breakdown, will be a big help for the rest of us considering such options!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th February 2024 at 16:19. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
SiddharthR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 17:22   #77

Thank you so much for the responses. I have put together a rough outline of the expenses. Attaching the same here. Hope i haven't missed out much.

Quote:
So i figured out the answer for my dilemma. I went ahead and restored my 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI AT. After discussing with 3 well known garages in Bangalore, i decided to go ahead with Code6 Bangalore (Carmed).

The car was handed over to Code6 in the last week of September. The restoration process was done in 4 parts.

1. Tinkering and Bodyworks
2. Repainting process
3. Upgrades
4. Remapping

The step 1 didn't go as per schedule after they found a considerable amount of rust inside the right side running board. We decided not to take a chance and replaced the running board on both sides. The sourcing however, was a completely different story. It took us around 2 weeks to get the perfect set of running boards from a connect in Mumbai.

Into the step 2, and we were busy figuring out the right shade. I wanted to stick to white and the paint shop guys at Code6 put together a wonderful shade of Pearl white mixed with gold and blue.

Once the painting was completed and the car was put back together, we decided on the following upgrades:

1. Custom headlights with Hello projector lamps
2. Audi styled smoked tail lamps
3. New front/ rear bumpers
4. GLI kit minus the side skirts, spoiler and the "GLI" badging
5. Bilstein B4's with Eibach lowering springs
6. New Benson windsheild
7. 17 inch Lenso Jager Dyna alloys with Pirelli's P Zero 225 45 17
8. Amaron battery
9. Swapped infotainment system with RCD 360
10. Custom straight pipe exhaust

The remap was done on the delivery date by Sajan and team. Overall, a very professionally managed restoration and i would like to call out Sarath, Hamraz, Babu, Nisanth, Kalyan and Sajan for their excellent work!

Sharing a few pics here.
Not yet. Its a part of the plan. But my current interiors (including the seating) are in pretty good condition. So, will wait on this.

Also, the wife is not exactly too gungho about it after she saw the overall expense on the car till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkunal.shah View Post
Have you changed the interiors to black? If yes pls share some pics.
Thanks Cliff. You are definitely in good hands. Nishanth sorted out my car's coolant system. V good at his craft and also extremely patient considering i was not exactly easy to deal with after having waited for 75 days to complete the restoration.

Best,

Arun V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Hey Arun,

Great to see this Jetta on the forum, I remember seeing it in Carmed and Nishanth (my SA) was telling me about the mods and TLC upgrades done on it. My Dad was very impressed with the work on the car. Planning to do something similar with our 9 year old Audi A4.

My Scorpio is also undergoing a full fledged restoration at Carmed, updating the forum once the project is over

Wishing you happy miles with the Jetta

Cheers
Cliff
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx VW Jetta MK6 - Restoration cost - V1.0.xlsx (10.8 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th February 2024 at 10:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts. Thanks.
Arun_V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 22:23   #78
BHPian

Re: Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?

Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but any help is appreciated .

Currently driving a 2007 Honda Civic, and it is showing signs of aging obviously, have the FC running for about 3.5 years still, but i need a change after 7 years of pleasure. Question i have is, a dear friend is selling is 2016-17 Octavia, 2.0 TDI top end model, genuinely done around 23k kms. What should be a good price to pick it, car is always services at ASS also no repaint etc
new battery was put recently.
cars 24/7 has offered him 9.3
also are there any things i need to keep in mind after buying this & is it a good buy over my current civic. Thanks a lot
Addy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 01:08   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but any help is appreciated.
That Octavia should easily fetch between 12-14L for the age + kms combination and for having the service history. Its a 2.0 TDI with the DQ250. Much much more reliable than the DQ200 plus frugal.

You should pick it up. TDIs love to be remapped.

Routine maintenance will be in the range of 10k annually at ASS.

Cheers,
Raj

Last edited by aah78 : 27th February 2024 at 05:32. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 10:08   #80
BHPian

Holy Moly! That was one hell of a substantial update on an already amazing car, would give the newer gen cars which costs 3 times more an absolute case of complexity. More pics of the interior please.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 15:53   #81
BHPian

Quote:
So i figured out the answer for my dilemma. I went ahead and restored my 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI AT. After discussing with 3 well known garages in Bangalore, i decided to go ahead with Code6 Bangalore (Carmed).

Into the step 2, and we were busy figuring out the right shade. I wanted to stick to white and the paint shop guys at Code6 put together a wonderful shade of Pearl white mixed with gold and blue.
Hello there!

Thanks for sharing the experience A-Z. I remember seeing this car in CarMed's Instagram stories though. Looking at the pictures, one can see that the paint job has come out really well.

Could you please let me know if they have completely stripped down the existing paint and started it from bare metal? Also, please let us know if there are any orange peel textures in any of the panels. We recently had our Civic repainted in a body shop here and I was extremely disappointed with the job due to the excessive orange peel textures all over the car. And ours being a black car, it makes it even more worse.

I was thinking about getting my Octavia repainted from Carmed. Hence, would like to know their level of attention to detail in such a tedious job.

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th February 2024, 18:53   #82
BHPian

Hot damn! Those Lensos make me lose my senso.

I just wish I could go back and give this treatment to my Superb and not sell it off.
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 21:45   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Hello everyone, not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but any help is appreciated .

Currently driving a 2007 Honda Civic, and it is showing signs of aging obviously, have the FC running for about 3.5 years still, but i need a change after 7 years of pleasure. Question i have is, a dear friend is selling is 2016-17 Octavia, 2.0 TDI top end model, genuinely done around 23k kms. What should be a good price to pick it, car is always services at ASS also no repaint etc
new battery was put recently.
cars 24/7 has offered him 9.3
also are there any things i need to keep in mind after buying this & is it a good buy over my current civic. Thanks a lot
It will be a very good upgrade over a 2007 Civic. The car is amazing to drive!
You should be able to get the car for 10-11L in my opinion if it is in pristine condition.
Go through the Octavia thread for common gremlins with the car.

The car will be out of warranty by now. For optional extended warranty the cost is about 1 lakh per year, would not recommend. You will find it hard to get zero depreciation insurance so any damages will involve some amount out of pocket. If you intend to stick to the ASS, this can be VERY EXPENSIVE as compared to an FNG
Old 10th February 2024, 12:32   #84
BHPian

Superb job done! Congratulations on the path taken to restore our all time fav VW. I am also thinking on the same lines for my 2013 Vento. My mods list is almost similar to yours. I think it’s worth to travel to Bangalore for this job. Really impressed with the job Carmed has done (also seen their work on Insta). Never really found a trusted bodyshop in Hyderabad. Would be happy if anyone recommends though.
yogeshb18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2024, 09:33   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the wife is not exactly too gungho about it after she saw the overall expense on the car till date.
I am not surprised.

Looking at Excel sheet, and my recent service with water pump/timing belt change at ASC, looks like many items are very expensive, specially water pump. If I remember correctly it was around 10,000/- . Why is it 30000/-?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th February 2024 at 05:32. Reason: Spacing fixed.
Old 24th February 2024, 20:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy2345 View Post
Thanks in advance!
You can try Lap47, Trissur or Code 6, Coimbatore as well for a professional work.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th February 2024 at 05:32. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
Old 27th February 2024, 02:46   #87

The Jetta never felt old/aged but damn your car makes mine look old.

I've been looking for those headlights and apparently they stopped production and those headlights are nowhere in stock. Where did you get those and, if you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost?

Last edited by aah78 : 27th February 2024 at 05:31. Reason: Spacing fixed.
Old 27th February 2024, 20:21   #88

Hello Everyone,

I currently own a 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI with 86k on the ODO. I have been thinking for sometime to get it remapped to Stage 1, but have my doubts on the DSG reliability after remap, specially at this high mileage.

Can the experts here be kind enough to guide me whether I should go for a remap? What parts/things should be checked thoroughly before the remap? Is it a strict no-no to remap a car that has done 86k kms?

The DSG has been reliable until now with no issues whatsoever. Thanks in advance!
Old 27th February 2024, 21:21   #89
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeast View Post
Is it a strict no-no to remap a car that has done 86k kms?

The DSG has been reliable until now with no issues whatsoever. Thanks in advance!
It’s an 8 year old car.
Consider that many parts have been well used. And they may not stand the strain caused by remapping.
Drive shafts. Axles. Bearings. Transmission. Differential. Suspension. Brakes.
The list goes on.
I too, considered doing this on my 8 year old Yeti in 2019. But the above-mentioned points made me cease and desist.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 11:07   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeast View Post
I currently own a 2016 Octavia 1.8 TSI with 86k on the ODO. The DSG has been reliable until now with no issues whatsoever.
Leaving aside all other components, I'd avoid remapping any vehicle with the DQ200 7S dry-clutch DSG. It inherently runs at the limit for it's design, and may not be able to take the added load from the remapped engine.

There are DSG remaps too but unsure if anyone does them in India.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks