Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2023, 23:58   #61

Re: Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmanjul View Post
Hi, I am likely to face the same dilemma in a couple of years time. I have the Octavia 1.8TSI 2018 model. I have already invested quite a bit to make it even more exciting- bilstein B6s, 17” alloys, Michelin PS4 225 45 R17 tyres , new intercoolers & air intakes & a stage 1 tune.

When my gearbox starts misbehaving (like it is doing in yours), I may consider upgrading to the DQ250 from TVS Engineering. Hopefully that would keep be happy for the next 5-6 years at least. I have set aside a budget for this eventuality…it is a wet clutch box and capable of handling much more power & torque than what Octavia produces
Can you elaborate on the tvs engineering dq250 upgrade? A friend who drives a 2018 octi tsi dsg is in same boat as yours and any such upgrade option could come in handy. Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 17:50   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkaushal View Post
Can you elaborate on the tvs engineering dq250 upgrade?
I spoke to the TVS engineering dealer here at Bangalore. The ballpark cost for such an upgrade is about 6-7 lakhs depending on things like exchange rates, whether one is going for all new stuff or a mix of used & new etc. Details can also be had on the TVS Engineering website. The DQ 250 gearbox is supposed to be much more reliable & capable of handling higher HP & torque figures
amitmanjul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 19:06   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmanjul View Post
I spoke to the TVS engineering dealer here at Bangalore. The ballpark cost for such an upgrade is about 6-7 lakhs depending on things like exchange rates, whether one is going for all new stuff or a mix of used & new etc. Details can also be had on the TVS Engineering website. The DQ 250 gearbox is supposed to be much more reliable & capable of handling higher HP & torque figures
That's interesting! But the quotes mean it's something to bookmark for a later day that one hopes never arrives for a dq200 owner.
Old 19th August 2023, 19:55   #64
BHPian

Hello, I have a 2014 Jetta AT for sale in my city. It has done 60k kms with all the paperwork and service records. The offer price is 8Lakhs. Its a Mumbai passing vehicle.I drove it and it feels fine, tbh its very wel maintained even the leather on the seats hasn’t worn. All functions seem to work fine like the electric drivers seat and lights. No rattles were observed. I havent taken it to a mechanic yet. It is quite confusing after listening to the 2nd hand Jetta buyer with parts failing and facing unavailability of the same. Is it a good idea to trade my i20 CVT 2019 with the Jetta?
Old 20th August 2023, 17:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Poweredd_ View Post
It is quite confusing after listening to the 2nd hand Jetta buyer with parts failing and facing unavailability of the same. Is it a good idea to trade my i20 CVT 2019 with the Jetta?
Who knows how the car was maintained or not (not just company service record)? If it was only taken out on highway trips for example it'd last longer than something that was taken on short city runs in thick traffic.

What is the point of exchanging a much newer car for that Jetta though? I wouldn't use a 9 year old car with relatively low ground clearance and larger size as a primary car in the city, in any case. If you want to buy the Jetta go ahead and buy, but there's no point selling your i20 for it.
Old 21st August 2023, 00:48   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Poweredd_ View Post
Hello, I have a 2014 Jetta AT for sale in my city. It has done 60k kms with all the paperwork and service records. The offer price is 8Lakhs. Its a Mumbai passing vehicle.I drove it and it feels fine, tbh its very wel maintained even the leather on the seats hasn’t worn. All functions seem to work fine like the electric drivers seat and lights. No rattles were observed. I havent taken it to a mechanic yet. It is quite confusing after listening to the 2nd hand Jetta buyer with parts failing and facing unavailability of the same. Is it a good idea to trade my i20 CVT 2019 with the Jetta?
No it’s not.
Analyse your need. You got a good car as i20. Don’t upgrade just to satisfy your itch for an upgrade. If you really need to upgrade. Then first of get it checked out thoroughly. There are times when things look good to us but are not. Only after getting it checked make your decision. Jetty is a really nice to drive but the part availability will be bigger issue in future as the car is discontinued. Fixes are always there but better to have a negative prospect as well. Resale will also be low for jetty. Make your decision after analysing both pros and cons of both cars. If pros and cons are in favour of jetty then get it by means. Also don’t make any decision in haste. It’s your money your call in the end.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 00:48   #67

Re: Yet another jetta owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?

I am in the exact same situation right now.

I drive a White 2012 VW Jetta MK6 TDI Highline. It has done around 130K kms and has gifted me some memorable drives across the country (and in a pretty good condition). So, when I got this idea of an upgrade earlier this year; it left me completely confused.

The 2 options that I have:

Option 1: Replace the car. Checked the following options.

a. Used Skoda Superb 2018/2019 (not really a fan as it felt more like a car for the chauffeur driven folks)
b. Used BMW 530D from Delhi (Would love this option if I get a well-maintained machine. There is an added cost of re-registering the car in Bangalore though.)
c. A friend suggested I try the new XUV 700. While the interiors feel v premium with tons of features (compared to the Jetta); the drive feels no where close.
d. VW Virtus : Felt like a downgrade and the build quality is nothing to write home about.
e. Used Skoda Octavia (2018/19): This could work. Add to it a stage 2 remap and it’s a convincing pitch.

Option 2: Restore my current car

These are the upgrades that I have in mind.

a. Complete repainting (sticking to white, but a glossier shade)
b. New Audi inspired headlights and tail lamps.
c. GLI body kit
d. New wind shield/ car door rubber readings etc
e. 18-inch alloys with Bilstein’s
f. ICE upgrade to RCD340g from the current 510.
g. Stage 2 remap
h. Change the interiors to all black from the current beige complete with new PU leather carpets.

The idea of giving a new lease of life to the Jetta really appeals to me, but everyone that I spoke to thinks otherwise as its 11 years old and there could be a ban on 10+ years old diesel vehicles in the metros in 2-3 years.

So, that brings me to the million-dollar question. Which option do I go with?
Old 25th September 2023, 19:16   #68
BHPian

Same boat, same dilemma. I have a 2017 Octavia Style+ (the race blue version), just about 50Kish. Overwhelmingly city driven except for a few goa trips

Now that the extended warranties etc are all exhausted, It is indeed time to start looking at options.

However, I noticed SKODA released the interiors of the upcoming Superb and they looked pretty decent. Waiting to hear more details. That might just be an option to consider.
pickdj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:38   #69

Re: Yet another jetta owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?

So i figured out the answer for my dilemma. I went ahead and restored my 2012 Jetta MK6 TDI AT. After discussing with 3 well known garages in Bangalore, i decided to go ahead with Code6 Bangalore (Carmed).

The car was handed over to Code6 in the last week of September. The restoration process was done in 4 parts.

1. Tinkering and Bodyworks
2. Repainting process
3. Upgrades
4. Remapping

The step 1 didn't go as per schedule after they found a considerable amount of rust inside the right side running board. We decided not to take a chance and replaced the running board on both sides. The sourcing however, was a completely different story. It took us around 2 weeks to get the perfect set of running boards from a connect in Mumbai.

Into the step 2, and we were busy figuring out the right shade. I wanted to stick to white and the paint shop guys at Code6 put together a wonderful shade of Pearl white mixed with gold and blue.

Once the painting was completed and the car was put back together, we decided on the following upgrades:

1. Custom headlights with Hello projector lamps
2. Audi styled smoked tail lamps
3. New front/ rear bumpers
4. GLI kit minus the side skirts, spoiler and the "GLI" badging
5. Bilstein B4's with Eibach lowering springs
6. New Benson windsheild
7. 17 inch Lenso Jager Dyna alloys with Pirelli's P Zero 225 45 17
8. Amaron battery
9. Swapped infotainment system with RCD 360
10. Custom straight pipe exhaust

The remap was done on the delivery date by Sajan and team. Overall, a very professionally managed restoration and i would like to call out Sarath, Hamraz, Babu, Nisanth, Kalyan and Sajan for their excellent work!

Sharing a few pics here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_V View Post
I am in the exact same situation right now.

I drive a White 2012 VW Jetta MK6 TDI Highline. It has done around 130K kms and has gifted me some memorable drives across the country (and in a pretty good condition). So, when I got this idea of an upgrade earlier this year; it left me completely confused.

The 2 options that I have:

Option 1: Replace the car. Checked the following options.

a. Used Skoda Superb 2018/2019 (not really a fan as it felt more like a car for the chauffeur driven folks)
b. Used BMW 530D from Delhi (Would love this option if I get a well-maintained machine. There is an added cost of re-registering the car in Bangalore though.)
c. A friend suggested I try the new XUV 700. While the interiors feel v premium with tons of features (compared to the Jetta); the drive feels no where close.
d. VW Virtus : Felt like a downgrade and the build quality is nothing to write home about.
e. Used Skoda Octavia (2018/19): This could work. Add to it a stage 2 remap and it’s a convincing pitch.

Option 2: Restore my current car

These are the upgrades that I have in mind.

a. Complete repainting (sticking to white, but a glossier shade)
b. New Audi inspired headlights and tail lamps.
c. GLI body kit
d. New wind shield/ car door rubber readings etc
e. 18-inch alloys with Bilstein’s
f. ICE upgrade to RCD340g from the current 510.
g. Stage 2 remap
h. Change the interiors to all black from the current beige complete with new PU leather carpets.

The idea of giving a new lease of life to the Jetta really appeals to me, but everyone that I spoke to thinks otherwise as its 11 years old and there could be a ban on 10+ years old diesel vehicles in the metros in 2-3 years.

So, that brings me to the million-dollar question. Which option do I go with?
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?-whatsapp-image-20240202-00.43.251.jpeg  

Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?-whatsapp-image-20240202-00.43.253.jpeg  

Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?-whatsapp-image-20240202-00.43.252.jpeg  

Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?-whatsapp-image-20240202-00.43.25.jpeg  

Yet another Octavia owner struggling to upgrade! What Car?-whatsapp-image-20240202-00.43.255.jpeg  

Arun_V is offline   (134) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:47   #70
BHPian

Absolutely marvellous. One if the best restoration I have come across. Keeping all the simplicity of VW clan but highlighting well deserved areas. Big thumbs up.
Could you please give a cost breakdown. I am tempted for my 2010 Vento TDI.
Satkaj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 10:09   #71
Senior - BHPian

Great to see you deciding and restoring it than parting ways.
CarMed guys are very professional.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 10:46   #72
BHPian

Have you changed the interiors to black? If yes pls share some pics.
kkunal.shah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 11:36   #73
BHPian

What a restoration, 11/10!!

I too have a 2012 VW Jetta, albeit a TSi one. With the right upkeep and a little creativity, these cars can give competition and complex to even 40-50 lakh rupees new car models. I’ve been contemplating on a full restoration of my Jetta Mk6 for the longest time, safe to say this post pulled the trigger.

Can you pls share more insights on the tentative costs, any interior upgrades etc. Also for the RCD340 upgrade, was this a plug and play or required some additional canbus wiring?

Congratulations on making your car an object of envy for many of us mk6 owners!

I think a separate thread should be created for 10+ year VAG car restoration stories, I am sure it will give ideas and reading pleasure to countless fellow BHPians!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 4th February 2024 at 11:38.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 12:07   #74
BHPian

Hey Arun,

Great to see this Jetta on the forum, I remember seeing it in Carmed and Nishanth (my SA) was telling me about the mods and TLC upgrades done on it. My Dad was very impressed with the work on the car. Planning to do something similar with our 9 year old Audi A4.

My Scorpio is also undergoing a full fledged restoration at Carmed, updating the forum once the project is over

Wishing you happy miles with the Jetta

Cheers
Cliff
Cliff9091 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 14:09   #75

WOW. Just Wow. Love that the mods have been done extremely tastefully. The pearl white paint with the Lenso wheels looks gorgeous. A complete cost breakdown would really help. Thanks!
Sakbir74 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks