Hybrid 132 42.17%
Electric (EV) 50 15.97%
Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.28%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 21:44   #61
BHPian

Re: Diesel AT vs Hybrid vs Electric Conundrum

I think the best option is a reliable petrol automatic which can give you peace of mind. The running cost may be lower for diesel or hybrid or EV. But your time is more precious than the saving troublesome frugal cars. Also, a tried and tested car like Honda city petrol AT will assure you peace of mind. No DPF anxiety in case of Diesel or Range anxiety in case of EV. The budget hybrid are just entering the market and its worthiness yet to be proven.
Old 15th September 2022, 04:58   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
That too after 8 years, which is sufficient time for the infrastructure to grow and the cost to reduce.
You got a point here, but since EVs are just cropping up in India, I guess it would be better to wait and see how current EV batteries fare over the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng565 View Post
Certainly an EV and go for BYD Blade batteries which might not require to be replaced as they come with 5,00,000 km warranty which means that they are able to deliver atleast 10,00,000 km given the margin of safety accounted for
BYD is a just entering the market and it will take some time before they start producing mass-market cars in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by On4Wheels View Post
I think the best option is a reliable petrol automatic which can give you peace of mind. The running cost may be lower for diesel or hybrid or EV. But your time is more precious than the saving troublesome frugal cars. Also, a tried and tested car like Honda city petrol AT will assure you peace of mind. No DPF anxiety in case of Diesel or Range anxiety in case of EV. The budget hybrid are just entering the market and its worthiness yet to be proven.
Great observations, I would have gone for a Honda City Petrol CVT if I were in search of a sedan, but I am more skewed towards SUVs and I don't find a similarly reliable and powerful naturally aspirated petrol car within the SUV space. The Honda City Petrol CVT does indeed have a great engine with 119 bhp on tap and smooth CVT gearbox.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 11:52   #63
BHPian

Here's my 2 cents. Test drive an EV for a longer duration. If you got loved it then there is nothing else in this world that will satisfy you.
If you dint like it much, then go for other fuel types based on our fellow Bhpians suggestions.

Remember: EVs currently are only for enthusiasts. So you will find only 2 kinds of owners. One who loves it for all its beautiful imperfections or one's who were not so interested and keeps complaining about its niggles.
shamanths3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 12:44   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
Here's my 2 cents. Test drive an EV for a longer duration. If you got loved it then there is nothing else in this world that will satisfy you.
If you dint like it much, then go for other fuel types based on our fellow Bhpians suggestions.

Remember: EVs currently are only for enthusiasts. So you will find only 2 kinds of owners. One who loves it for all its beautiful imperfections or one's who were not so interested and keeps complaining about its niggles.
Thank you for your reply and Yes, I will certainly consider your opinion and test drive the Tata Nexon EV before finalizing my choice.
Old 15th September 2022, 12:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Thank you for your reply and Yes, I will certainly consider your opinion and test drive the Tata Nexon EV before finalizing my choice.
Glad I could be of help. If you have budget upto 27 Lakh then I would also ask you to test drive MG ZS EV and Hyundai Kona
Old 15th September 2022, 16:55   #66
BANNED

I don't think Diesel is going anywhere anytime soon and SUVs will continue to run on Diesel for the foreseeable future. Take for instance the news of Tata Motors working on a new 2.2-litre diesel engine. The new engine which is going to power the brand’s large SUVs in the future.

So, even Tata who has been the top selling EV maker in India knows Diesel SUVs will sell and are willing to spend on developing a diesel engine even in 2022.

Therefore, I would suggest the OP to go ahead with purchasing a diesel vehicle without any doubts whatsoever.

Link to Team-BHP article: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...el-engine.html (Rumour: Tata Motors developing BS6 2.2-litre diesel engine)
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 04:26   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedukrishnan199 View Post
So, even Tata who has been the top selling EV maker in India knows Diesel SUVs will sell and are willing to spend on developing a diesel engine even in 2022.
Therefore, I would suggest the OP to go ahead with purchasing a diesel vehicle without any doubts whatsoever.
That's great news indeed for those planning to go for a diesel vehicle. It makes me feel more comfortable going for a diesel vehicle knowing that manufacturers are still committed to the diesel powertrain.

Last edited by bijims : 16th September 2022 at 04:27.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2022, 11:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To add to that, A cost-benefit analysis between an ICE Nexon and a Nexon EV would point out to how many years it would take to recover the premium for an EV.
Can you please share this cost analysis. Without numbers, we are speculating.

Agree that there isn't a EV vehicle at your price point offering 500km of range. My point is you don't need one and you are over thinking the range bit. Even if you get something that does a real world 250km distance, that is plenty for your day to day routine and the occasional highway run.

In the case of the Nexon, TATA have priced it so well that it makes no sense whatsoever to consider a rickety combustion engine version of the same car. For a little more money, you get to enjoy excellent refinement levels that no gas combustion engine can match and will likely be heaps more dependable in the long run.

Range anxiety was an issue 10+ years ago. We are past that point with modern day electric vehicles and improving charging infrastructure. I recommend PM some EV owners here and take input. I am pretty sure none of them are regretting their purchase decision to go EV.

Good luck.
Old 20th September 2022, 05:18   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Range anxiety was an issue 10+ years ago. We are past that point with modern day electric vehicles and improving charging infrastructure. I recommend PM some EV owners here and take input. I am pretty sure none of them are regretting their purchase decision to go EV.

Good luck.
Thanks for the inputs but everyone I asked recommended the Nexon EV but only as a secondary car, maybe it's because all of the ones to whom I have asked used the Nexon EV as a secondary car.

I plan only on having only one car in the household which will be used only when 3 or more members are traveling or on long trips, like to the airport or outstation journeys.

With the same in mind, I have come to the conclusion that I would skip Electric altogether and choose between a Diesel AT and Hybrid, for my current car purchase. I may go for an EV a few years down the line or when the need for a secondary car arises.
Old 20th September 2022, 05:30   #70
BANNED

Quote:
With the same in mind, I have come to the conclusion that I would skip Electric altogether and choose between a Diesel AT and Hybrid, for my current car purchase. I may go for an EV a few years down the line or when the need for a secondary car arises.
I think you have made the right decision by skipping electric, at least for now as competition in the sub 25 lakh EV space is definitely very low with the Nexon EV, being the only car selling in thousands. As more and more manufacturers enter the EV market, features and range are bound to increase and the competition will definitely stabilize prices.

It will take at least a few more years before that happens and ICE cars will still be around then too. If you can see in the case of the UK, where only sale of ICE cars will be banned by 2030 and there are no plans to completely ban petrol or diesel cars, whereas the EU only plans to do the same by 2035. In a country like India, it would be at least 2040 before such bans can be fully implemented country wide.

So I would recommend you go for the Diesel AT without worrying about bans or discontinuations
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 18:04   #71
BANNED

With the prices of the Hyryder, Grand Vitara out and with Tata going al in on EVs and launching an affordable EV with the Tiago EV, the conundrum gets even bigger. Anyways keeping my budget in mind, I have shortlisted the Final 3 candidates.

1. Kia Sonet GTX+ Diesel AT
2. Tata Nexon EV Prime XM Variant
3. Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S Hybrid

I am also wondering whether I should get a cheaper EV like the brand new Tata Tiago EV XZ Plus Tech LUX Long Range Fast Charger edition at around 13 lakhs OTR and save the money for a better EV down the line.

Kindly let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 29th September 2022, 18:35   #72
BHPian

Even though I was.quite excited about the Tiago EV yesterday (just short of finalizing the top variant colour), but my excitement about Tiago is fizzling out as I came to understand that this one is the last of the gen 1 EVs (which is like battery and motor fitted into the Tiago ICE chassis with minimal modifications). Stage is getting set for gen 2/3 launches in the next few quarters. So, I thought that I will wait a bit more and take a decision once the next gens are launched. Gen 3 is born electric, & gen 2 is bigger mods to the ICE ( like flat floor).

So that's my thinking about your Tiago EV question.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 29th September 2022 at 18:36.
Old 30th September 2022, 06:14   #73
BANNED

Upcoming EV launches from most manufacturers will be based on existing ICE cars, with Mahindra XUV400, Citroen C3 EV, 2 of Tata's Gen 2 EVs like the Punch EV, Altroz EV. The other two Gen 2 EVs from Tata, i.e. Sierra and Curv will be EV specific models.

Mahindra's EV strategy on the other hand has the XUV.e8, XUV.e9, BE.05, BE.07 and BE.09 in the pipeline with XUV.e8 launching in December 2024, followed by the XUV.e9 in April 2025. On the other hand, its BE branded vehicle BE.05 will debut in October 2025, while the BE.07 is slated for October 2026. Going by the names, most probably the XUVs will still be based on existing ICE car platforms whereas only the BE's will be born-electric.

So it will take at least a couple of years before affordable Born Electric EVs hit the road and they most probably won't be as affordable as the ones built on existing ICE car platforms either.

So with all these in mind, I would suggest that you go for an ICE powered car (Diesel or Petrol) at the moment, skip Hybrid altogether and make your next purchase (after this one) an EV, by that time EV technology and Charging infrastructure would have developed even more and it would make more sense to buy an EV.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 06:16   #74
BANNED

Thank you All for your inputs and guidance!

With the overwhelming response to the query and poll, I have come to the conclusion that Diesel ATs are still quite popular and have fallen just short of Hybrids in the poll. With Hybrids being a relatively new entrant in the sub 20 lakh space, and with options limited to just the Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder S Variant in my case, I have decided to go for a Diesel AT car for my purchase.

I feel Diesels have reached the stage of maturity in their technology and the current diesels are likely the best the technology has to offer, so I am going for the same.

Electric cars are still in their infancy in India and have a long way to go. Hybrids feel like a bridge to fill the gap between ICE cars and EVs. With EV launches in the pipeline from every major manufacturer over the course of the next few years and with Born Electric Vehicles about to become commonplace, I am sure that my next car purchase will be an EV.

thanks to each and every BHPian who replied to my query and who voted on the poll.

Now, the only question which remains is whether I should continue waiting on my existing booking for the Kia Sonet Diesel AT to arrive or go for another Diesel AT option.

Last edited by bijims : 4th October 2022 at 06:18.
Old 4th October 2022, 12:19   #75
BANNED

A wise choice indeed!. Considering EVs and charging infrastructure haven't matured enough in our country, an ICE car is the way to go at present. Maybe by the end of the decade we would have better Born electric vehicles and a wide array of options to choose from at different price points.

Now on your question on Diesel AT alternatives available under 20 lakhs, we have:
  1. Tata Nexon
    One of the safest cars you can get under your budget, The car is spacious, has good ride and handling and excellent ground clearance too. It has consistently been on top of the SUV sales charts. The only downside is the AMT gearbox.

2. Mahindra XUV300
    Another 5 star GNCAP rated car, with the longest wheelbase for sub 4 metre SUVs, the XUV300 is a spacious car with a powerful diesel motor producing about 300 nm of torque. The XUV300 is a mean machine let down by the tiny boot and AMT gearbox.

The other options in and around 20 lakhs OTR are the Kia Seltos and the Mahindra Thar. Both command a very high waiting period just like the Kia Sonet.

So if you want to stick with non AMT gearboxes, the Sonet, Seltos and Thar are your only options for SUVs in the sub 20 lakhs OTR price range.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks