Other (please specify in your post) 4 1.28%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 12:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Diesel AT vs Hybrid vs Electric Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

EV works currently and for years to come as a 2nd or 3rd car at home and in India I'm still not convinced it can be used as a single car for all use cases. Cities like Bangalore have long power outages and no ways to rely on it if you don't have another car at home.
Yes, basically for a single use car it is yet to be suitable in India. I guess another 5 years are needed for infrastructure to be practically usable. But we need for EV adopters for that.

Quote:
Yes the OTA updates are a huge advantage with EV vs ICE engines but the prime vs non prime was basically just multi mode regen braking braking added.
Basically I wanted to highlight the willingness & intent from TATA doing this free upgrade.

Quote:
USA also has a lot of aftermarket battery experts providing cell replacement, and reconditioning. When that will come to India and how reliable that will be is a question mark.
As soon as we have more EVs on road, it is sure to come.

Quote:
Agreed overall is very positive but I still feel Hybrid should be encouraged till the infra picks up. If you don't push Hybrid then you are pushing customers more towards diesel than EV's. Hybrid is what will convince people for EV's in the future. Right now single car families will be more comfortable with an economical diesel for long trips than an EV. However Hybrids will solve this problem.
I agree, but for users like me who have a monthly run of 2000-3000 Km mainly in city, EVs even jugaad ones (converted from ICE) works, is practical.
arpanjha is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:47   #17
BANNED

At this juncture, a petrol, diesel or even a hybrid vehicle would be a better alternative to EVs considering the charging infrastructure, low range of EVs, high price of EVs (thereby initial cost savings of an ICE car).
So I would advise the OP to consider a fossil fuel or hybrid vehicle for now.
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 13:36   #18
BHPian

This is my take on this:

1. Diesel engines offer great mileage and torque is addictive. But with BS6 and DPF issues unless there are many highway runs it is going to be very difficult. Combine this with NGT dictates, for me diesels are a NOT the ideal choice.
2. In the case of petrol engines, I'd prefer NA ones only. While they are less polluting and nice to drive, and cheaper, mileage is an issue. If the running of the car is less then this should be the option.
3. If running is high in both city and highways then Hybrids are the option as of now IMO. They offer great mileage as well as performance. My vote goes to the Hybrid.
4. As far as EVs are concerned I think that infrastructure in India is yet to fully develop.

Regards,
lsjey.
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 16:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

While we understand the DPF issues with Diesel, what about the ethanol % increase problems with Petrol.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 09:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
My usage scenario is 50:50 between city and highway, around 10,000 km a year. I plan to hold to whatever car I buy for at least 8 to 10 years
In 8 to 10 years it's very much likely that there won't be any diesel cars allowed to be sold or manufactured in India. Already Maruti, Skoda, and Audi have stopped manufacturing / selling diesel cars in India. Others will follow their footsteps, it's only a matter of time.

Unfortunately many posts in this forum have equated warranty of a product to life of a product. When EVs offer 8 year warranty on the battery pack it doesn't mean life is 8 years (it's just like assuming life of engine / transmission is 5 years as that's the warranty offered). Nexon's LFP battery should last much longer with minimal degradation. Also, charging stations are cropping up every other day and coverage, especially on the highways are already sufficient but will definitely improve in coming years. This means cars with lesser range could also be driven on these highways in future.

Keeping the duration of ownership in mind I will strongly recommend Nexon EV for your requirements.
soarersc300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 09:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Voted for others. I would say buy a used car, preferably BS4 diesel.

EV's are still in incremental development phase.
Strong Hybrids are not worth the price.
Diesel cars with DPF issues (if used only for short drives).

3-5 years down the lane, there would be a huge change in the landscape of powertrain. Right now is the time to go used car way, at best buy a small petrol car if going used in not one's cup of tea.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Voted for Hybrid for following reasons:
1. NGT ruling in NCR doesn't make sense for diesel.2
2. DPF issues in BS6 diesels.
3. Less Range and charging infra goes against EVs
nevin007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:57   #23
BHPian

Voted for hybrids.
Even though the running costs for hybrids would be close to what diesel cars offer, with the uncertainty over the diesel in the country, Hybrids will have a significant share in future. I, for one, believe that Hybrids are little late to the party in India.
Better late than never. Hope the Japanese bring in more products with hybrid tech in future.
Samegoodkid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:13   #24
BHPian

Voted for the Diesel AT. My daily running is in ballpark of 90-100 Km in rural stretches where diesel still makes sense. For the city usage, I have Petrol AT.
Will not switch to Hybrid or EV as long as Petrol or diesel ones are available.
MayurS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The pricing of the Hyryder hybrid is fairly competitive and has set the car amongst pigeons. It will be my pick above the likes of Sonet or Seltos diesel automatics. Pure EVs like Nexon are simply not practical for being your only car or if you have regular highway running. Maybe after 5-7 years, but not now. Great city car, but not enough range and inadequate + unreliable charging infrastructure for long distance use as of now.
I find the pricing just about right, If I am going for the Hybrid, I would go for the S Hybrid which costs under 20 lakhs OTR, The Nexon EV, as you mentioned isn't the most practical choice if it's the only car in your garage. But considering mytrips are not too long, its still a consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Analyse your anxieties:
Range Anxiety: No to EV
NGT Anxiety: No to Diesel
Green Warrior Anxiety: Yes to Hybrid, EV
Your low usage does not justify Hybrid, and you may not even be able to recover the strong hybrid premium over weak Hybrid, while compromising on NHV and torque.
I have considered the above and I would say going by the charging infrastructure in Kerala, EVs wouldn't be the best choice at present, but my running and trips never usually cross more than a hundred kilometres either, so it mostly boils down to whether I should pay the premium for an EV or hybrid against a Diesel AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
An EV - If you have visibility into your destinations during your long trips and if those destinations have facility to charge.
IMO hybrids time will be short lived as there are already full fledged EVs already available.
Between Tata Nexon EV Max and the Mahindra I would go with the Tata as it is proven itself now plus you have a support community.
Thanks, I will definitely consider these points while taking my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolHead_1609 View Post
BS6 diesel DPF issues are enough for staying away from it unless majorly used for highway runs
Are they such a nightmare as they are made out to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very tough conundrum, especially because the number of EV & Hybrid models are extremely limited today. This will inevitably improve with time.
Diesel AT is the most practical choice, especially in the 15-lakh and up segments where model choices are plentiful. Specific to your usage & query, I would recommend the Sonet Diesel AT & the Nexon EV. Both are top class automobiles. Am unimpressed with the driving experience of the Toyota Hyryder Hybrid (going by our review).
Thank you so much for your inputs, Going by the reviews, the Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Hybrid isn't the car for enthusiasts. The Kia Sonet Diesel AT is definitely a top contender, but the waiting times quoted are surprisingly high. You don't get cars without booking them months in advance these days. I had booked the car and have waited almost 3 months now and according to the dealership, I may have to wait another 2 months more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamThat View Post
Are the Diesel DPF issues so serious as they are made out to be?
I don't know if they are very serious or not, but considering Mahindra, Kia and most larger SUVs have almost half of their sales from Diesel, they shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
I pondered over these facts for a few days. Here are my conclusions:
Thankfully due to oil prices in India and a great support from TATA, EV adoption is surprisingly high in a country like India. This is very positive for the entire ecosystem.
Thank you for your inputs, with improved technology EVs are definitely the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedukrishnan199 View Post
At this juncture, a petrol, diesel or even a hybrid vehicle would be a better alternative to EVs considering the charging infrastructure, low range of EVs, high price of EVs (thereby initial cost savings of an ICE car).
So I would advise the OP to consider a fossil fuel or hybrid vehicle for now.
Thanks, Cost considerations are definitely a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
This is my take on this:
If running is high in both city and highways then Hybrids are the option as of now IMO. They offer great mileage as well as performance. My vote goes to the Hybrid
Thank you, some great observations here, definitely a strong case for hybrids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
While we understand the DPF issues with Diesel, what about the ethanol % increase problems with Petrol.
I don't know about that, It's a matter to be looked into I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarersc300 View Post
Keeping the duration of ownership in mind I will strongly recommend Nexon EV for your requirements.
Definitely, a worthy EV in its own right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Right now is the time to go used car way, at best buy a small petrol car if going used in not one's cup of tea.
We prefer our cars new, not a fan of going the used car route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevin007 View Post
Voted for Hybrid for following reasons:
1. NGT ruling in NCR doesn't make sense for diesel.2
2. DPF issues in BS6 diesels.
3. Less Range and charging infra goes against EVs
Thanks, but I live in Kerala, where diesels are still a thing and are in fact still quite popular.

Last edited by bijims : 13th September 2022 at 11:41. Reason: trimmed quoted text
Old 13th September 2022, 11:41   #26
BHPian

Diesel AT if much highway usage and intermediate city usage.

Electric with minimal highway usage and mostly city usage

Hybrid only if you are sedate driver and hypermiling for the buck both on highway and city
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:48   #27
BHPian

Voted for Diesel AT (Got my Harrier AT delivered on 08-Sep).

The current Hybrid options don't seem to satisfy the enthusiast's needs or even the normal highway running with a full house, although they may be exceptional in city due to the range and pure electric running at low speeds.

I am not yet at a place in life to have just 1 pure EV for all purposes. My thirst for exploring our beautiful country in a car is still not quenched so I'd not want to be bothered by range anxiety. I'd rather plan to buy a pure EV hatchback as a city-beater 1 year down the line to optimize my running costs between the city and highways.

Most important for me - anything more than 5 years away is a future too far and planning for such eventualities will rob me off the experiences I want to collect till then (purely my personal philosophy). And hence potential diesel bans etc. although real possibility, I will cross the bridge when we come to them.

PS - Although I am new to BS6 diesels, I feel if managed/driven as recommended, DPF issues are not the inhibitor they are being made into.

Happy Motoring!
Jaisalmeriya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 11:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

I have not voted, however some pointers to help your decision:

Can you install a charging port at home?
How faraway from home would you really go even on the highway trips you mention?
How is the charging infrastructure on the highways you frequent?
Do you have another ICE car in the household?

If you answer these questions, you should be able to answer whether you can go Electric or not.

If you are using predominantly for short runs, don't go the BS6 diesel way.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:06   #29
BANNED

Voted: Others

Diesel with the right kind of transmission. As GTO has highlighted several times on the forum that AMTs work well with engines having high torque. The turbo diesel have that part covered. So, I'm more comfortable with a diesel-AMT.

My concerns:
Diesel-DCT: long-term reliability
Diesel-CVT: less efficiency and performance (Example Amaze diesel-CVT vs MT)
Diesel-TC: Less efficiency (example Seltos/Creta Diesel TC AT vs MT)

I'm also more than happy to pick a Diesel-ACMT (auto-clutch manual) in the Seltos over the AMT as it solves ~80% of the problems I have with a manual (clutch modulation in stop-and-go traffic) for ~20% of the cost. Perfect execution of Pareto's principle. I have driven ACMTs and thoroughly enjoyed them from a convenience, efficiency, cost, and reliability standpoint.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 12:12   #30
BANNED

I had voted for Hybrid for:

1. Future Risk of ban on diesel
2. Fuel cost difference between the Diesel and Gas is not significant now
3. Mileage of Diesel and Hybrid are both decent. Similar running costs.
4. Diesel maintenance will be significantly higher+ DPF issues + NVH are deterrent
4. Point 2+3+4=Lower cost of ownership for Hybrid all in all (Battery replacement after 7 years? don't know the cost but knowing its a small battery unlike EVs- cost shock can be handled)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks