Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2022, 17:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Want to replace my 11-year old Honda City with an SUV

The only reason to change it seems to be due to financial (maintenance + resale), or the itch to get an SUV which you can take touring.
For the former, it makes sense to hold on to the City for a couple of years. Even if you put in 1L for maintenance (new tyres, suspension, clutch), and account 2L for resale hit : total outflow would be 3L over say 2 years.
In comparison, a new car EMI of say 12.5L would work out to 25K/month (approx. for a 5 year loan) or 3L/year, or Rs. 6L over 2 years - not including depreciation, higher insurance costs, etc.
If the same amount is invested instead : you could get a cool 100K in interest + savings on insurance, etc. itself + be able to consider better vehicles in a span of 2 years such as a niggle free Safari facelift / XUV700 / Scorpio-N / whatever else the market has that catches your fancy.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 17:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitm29 View Post
Dear members,

I have been driving a 2011 model pre-worshipped Honda City I-Vtec since 7+ joyful years. I opted a used Mid Size Sedan when I had a budget of a Swift/I-20 and this slightly more expensive car has turned out to be cheaper one for me exactly what is mentioned in this great thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...to-longer.html (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

City offers good performance, all the Honda's traits of spacious and comfortable interiors, reliability, still looks stunning has been extremely reliable and very easy to maintain from authorized Honda workshop in West Delhi.

Recently, the A/c compressor gave up bang in the middle of a highway during a family trip. Thankfully, it happened during day-time and we had another family in their car with us and I could send my wife and kid in their car. With some difficulty, I could travel back w/o Aircon for good 300+ kms. Changing compressor and condenser costed upwards of 20k (from local yet experienced mechanic) along with routine service that costed about 12+k, and 3k battery change. This is the highest ever amount paid on maintenance so far.

As the car is in its 12th year with just under 85k mileage and due to the aforesaid incident, I am in great confusion with various questions:

Q1. Is it time for a change or I hold onto it?

Pros to retain:
- Drives well
- Honda's reliability and once of the best yet Honda's product (quality-wise)
- Still easy to maintain
- EMI free ownership (biggest joy), EMI equivalent amount can be invested for a better future
- Love its design

Cons to retain:
- It is valued at a measly 2.5 lacs to 3 lacs today which would certainly go down as the car nears its 15 years period.
- Maintenance costs may rise
- All tyres need to be replaced soon

Q2. If change, which next car?
Usage: I love driving, most of usage is in city with twice/thrice road trips. My monthly usage is about 1000-1200 Kms, and I love to go for long drives, mountains and explore the unexplored. Honda City's low GC has not yet given me confidence to accomplish my wish-list of Leh-Ladakh road trip, hence would prefer a high riding car this time with performance and reliability similar to Honda if not better.

I prefer buying mint conditioned pre-worshipped machines from higher segments than my budget for new cars. Accordingly, my budget is about 12-15 lacs. Used cars I would consider to buy (in order of preference) are: Tata Safari AT (though it would exceed my budget but my heart wants it the most), Nexon EV, 5th generation Honda City AT or New Scorpio N. I also like Skoda's products (used Octavia / Slavia / Kushaq), however, their ownership stories (A/c, high maintenance costs) don't inspire confidence. Don't like Creta/any other CSUVs.

Requesting fellow Bhpians for valuable advices.

Thanks and cheers!
Mohit
Since you mentioned Leh Ladakh road trip I recently came across a vlog where a vlogger with his Skoda Kushaq MT 1.0 had traversed across Kishtwar Killar road which is believed to be one of the worlds most dangerous roads. The Kushaq with manual gearbox may be a better bet. I will post the relevant link below. Also do consider a new Mahindra XUV 300 which is well within the ambit of your budget.
Gypsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 00:33   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitm29 View Post
hence would prefer a high riding car this time with performance and reliability similar to Honda if not better.

I prefer buying mint conditioned pre-worshipped machines from higher segments than my budget for new cars. Accordingly, my budget is about 12-15 lacs. Used cars I would consider to buy (in order of preference) are: Tata Safari AT (though it would exceed my budget but my heart wants it the most), Nexon EV, 5th generation Honda City AT or New Scorpio N. I also like Skoda's products (used Octavia / Slavia / Kushaq), however, their ownership stories (A/c, high maintenance costs) don't inspire confidence. Don't like Creta/any other CSUVs.
While you are looking for a ride that has "reliability similar to Honda if not better" the only option that stands true from the above list is the 5th gen City, which does fit well within your budget. I personally feel you should keep the 3rd gen city for the time being and wait for new arrivals since the car can still hold on pretty well
z_3en is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 01:10   #19

Well in my opinion , I think you shouldn't be replacing the car so soon.... the car has already crossed 11 years so why not keep it for the next 4 years as well..... A city I-vtec shouldn't be causing any major issues during this tenure other then usual wear and tear items like tyres, brake pads etc....

In case you still wish to upgrade then the Toyota hyryder with AWD seems a good option or even the scorpio N petrol.... only issue with it is if you can get it.... as per what I have heard is that it might break xuv700's 25000 booking record... ALL THE BEST !!!!!!
MrPREDATOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 15:50   #20
BHPian

I strongly suggest you to keep your car, the AC failing was kind of unlucky that doesn't mean you will have any new major problems. Change your timing belt in your next service and keep the car.

When you look at the things happening around the world and the recent data shows, developed countries have already entered recession, unlike 2008 this time the implication in India will be much more stronger, I suggest you to invest that money wisely in less risky investment like real estate and Gold and brace yourself for any financial impact that is going to come and beside the cost of these new cars, taxes and their build Quality isn't worth paying so much.
johnruben is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 21:42   #21
BHPian

Thanks to all the like minded people. I could not have got such good, sensible and unbiased advices from anywhere else. Surely I'll consider all of your advices before making my next move. I would also try to get in touch with Harrier's and Safari's owners for their experiences.
mohitm29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks