Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Change from a City to a Taigun for a senior citizen? Please read the first post before selection.
Keep the Honda City 89 32.84%
Change to the VW Taigun 167 61.62%
Any other choice 15 5.54%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2022, 12:26   #1
BHPian

My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Folks - I write this to seek your advice.

My father who is 78, is an avid driver. A week before the lockdown in March 2020, he bought a 2020 Honda City top of the line ZX CVT. The car is now at 5,500 kms only and in showroom condition save a little mark on the rear bumper.

He has been wanting a Taigun ever since its launch. However this was not considered seriously as the differential of price (selling the City and buying the Taigun new) would make no economic sense.

The opportunity has now presented itself where the owner of a Dec 2021 VW Taigun 1.0 Comfortline Automatic wants to sell their 1,500 km driven car. I will be going with my father to see the car today.

Personally I think it is unwise to sell a top of the line Honda City that is almost brand new and get a Taigun with lesser creature comforts. I feel the loss of 4 air bags, no LEDs at all, no start stop, no auto lighting are some of the biggest misses of the Comfortline.

Although I am trying to talk him out of it he is very excited to have a higher and a slightly larger car that is easier to get in and out of.

Request your points of view and if this makes any sense at all. Cars at our home have been more heart than head always but this change seems a little too much for me to digest.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Newtown is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 12:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Can you afford the change? Yes, the switch doesn't make sense financially, but does it affect you significantly? If not, let the man have his way.

The used car market is crazy at the moment, so you could actually get a decent price for the City as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtown View Post
a slightly larger car that is easier to get in and out of.
This might just be his subtle way of saying the City is uncomfortable for him to get in/out to the point he'd rather take the financial hit and get the Taigun.
libranof1987 is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:42   #3
ike
BHPian

re: My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!

Voted for buying the Taigun. You wouldn't want to think later that you should have got him what he wanted when he could still drive.

Last edited by ike : 25th April 2022 at 13:45.
ike is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 14:07   #4
BHPian

Why is the owner selling the Taigun so early in the life cycle (not even 6 months), Please check its service history if possible when you see the car, I am always vary of VW shenanigan.

Since your dad will be primary driver and he likes the Taigun, if financial hit is not significant than let him get his desired car.

At his age with all due respect I think he deserves what he is asking for.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 14:17   #5
BHPian

Thank you all for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Voted for buying the Taigun. You wouldn't want to think later that you should have got him what he wanted when he could still drive.
This just sealed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Why is the owner selling the Taigun so early in the life cycle (not even 6 months), Please check its service history if possible when you see the car, I am always vary of VW shenanigan.

Since your dad will be primary driver and he likes the Taigun, if financial hit is not significant than let him get his desired car.

At his age with all due respect I think he deserves what he is asking for.

Regards
Dieseltuned
It was bought with ease of use in mind to drive an automatic in the city. But it seems the owner is just not comfortable with the automatic and is soon to buy the manual version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Can you afford the change? Yes, the switch doesn't make sense financially, but does it affect you significantly? If not, let the man have his way.

The used car market is crazy at the moment, so you could actually get a decent price for the City as well.

This might just be his subtle way of saying the City is uncomfortable for him to get in/out to the point he'd rather take the financial hit and get the Taigun.
Yes the change can be afforded. The only way it impacts me is that the car he will get is devoid of equipment I consider as important. Yes he never uses his sun roof, very seldom does he drive in the night. From all those perspectives it seems fine.

And you are right. I see him struggling sometimes to exit the City driver seat.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd May 2022 at 17:08. Reason: Minor typo fixed.
Newtown is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

He's 78. At that age, if he really knows what he's saying and getting into, you should probably let him get the Taigun provided he does a long test drive to ensure he's taking the right step.

As long as the listed Taigun does not have any issue, seems to be a decent buy.
Turbohead is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 17:01   #7
BHPian

He is 78 and he for sure knows what he wants. if you can afford, please get what he wants.
Voting for Taigun
saisree is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 19:13   #8
BHPian

Back from taking a look at the car and driving it for about 20 mins. The car is certainly new but was lying in neglect. Although parked under a covered garage, it had cobwebs galore.

The paint surface had a thick coat of dust and there was a lot of accumulated dirt in all crevices. While all this is fine and can be cleaned, I was wondering why a brand new car should be kept this way. The items given to the customer post the first inspection were just thrown haphazardly on the parcel shelf. It was as if the car was delivered and since then it was left as it.

The car is a Highline automatic and not Comfortline as I mentioned earlier. In the 1.0, the weight of this car can certainly be felt as opposed to the 1.5. It had 1750 km on the odometer. Nothing was tampered with in the bonnet and I checked for any accidental repairs which there seemed to be none.

The variant did not cut if for my father as well once he looked at it. The air-conditioning worked well and I did not see any issues BUT the car was cool anyway and there was no direct sun beating down. However on every undulation, the car was creaking to high heavens. All the doors and panels were merrily making sounds.

We left a little disappointed. Hopefully something better/different comes up. I thank you all and appreciate all your thoughts and inputs.

Last edited by Newtown : 25th April 2022 at 19:15.
Newtown is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 21:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Back from taking a look at the car and driving it for about 20 mins. The car is certainly new but was lying in neglect. Although parked under a covered garage, it had cobwebs galore.

The paint surface had a thick coat of dust and there was a lot of accumulated dirt in all crevices. While all this is fine and can be cleaned, I was wondering why a brand new car should be kept this way. The items given to the customer post the first inspection were just thrown haphazardly on the parcel shelf. It was as if the car was delivered and since then it was left as it.
It is so disheartening to see cars in such a dilapidated state especially when the car is so new. Regardless, you should definitely look for a another car for switch with the City. Considering your father's age, the ingress/egress will definitely be a sore point for him. I also think that other than safety aspects, other features downgrade with a mid-variant car would not be a major issue as well. Plus, with used car market also having a commanding premium, you could definitely get a good deal for the City.
AB10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 23:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We left a little disappointed. Hopefully something better/different comes up.
A few are available on CarWale in Mumbai, can be checked out.

My 78-year old father wants to trade his new Honda City. EDIT: Bought the VW Virtus!-screenshot-20220425-231046.png
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 00:04   #11
RYP
BHPian

Voted for the Taigun. Your super dad deserves the driving dynamics of a VAG, it's every Petrol heads dream to experience it some day. Usually i don't get behind VAG cars, only for their reliability sake, but at 78 It's completely a heart decision, no place for the mind. If finances are okay, why not go for a brand new one altogether
RYP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 10:49   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Give the old man what he wants! Voted for the Taigun. I normally don't recommend selling cars so early in their life, but if you are selling used and in turn, buying used...the depreciation loss is evened out.

Find another Taigun for your old man. Also take him for a spin in the Kushaq if he likes it more.

Quote:
Get a full PPI done and and follow our used car checklist (including service history, checking past insurance claims etc.). Not much can go wrong in an almost brand-new car, even if the owner neglected it. Be sure to check for rat damage though, they can be scary to fix, especially if rats made the abandoned car their home.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 11:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VAG cars that are lying unused are a never good case to consider unless you know the person selling it and can trust him. What is the manufacturing date of that vehicle - if before June'21, I'd worry about potential of flood impacted vehicle given the last year rains. Get a proper PPI done and use the checklist to validate that car (or any other option you evaluate).
ninjatalli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 18:54   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYP View Post
Voted for the Taigun. Your super dad deserves the driving dynamics of a VAG, it's every Petrol heads dream to experience it some day. Usually i don't get behind VAG cars, only for their reliability sake, but at 78 It's completely a heart decision, no place for the mind. If finances are okay, why not go for a brand new one altogether
I completely agree. Newtown's dad is a super dad if he is alert enough to drive at that age and you should get him a Taigun from somewhere. Can't disappoint a 78 year old!
ColAjayDrives is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 19:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An interior detailing can take care of all that. Basically, if the car is like that, it is not being used, and you could possibly negotiate a little more for a car that is not felt wanted by the owners. But this is helpful IF this is the variant that your father wants.

Coming to your core question - give your dad what he wants. Let him be happy. Helping them feel supported and encouraged makes a huge difference to their health and happiness, esp with progressing age.
condor is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks