Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which one?
Honda City 1.5L iVtec 224 83.58%
Kia Seltos 1.5L NA 44 16.42%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2022, 02:34   #1

Honda City versus Kia Seltos

Before everything, I've tried to wrap my head around majority of the reviews bhpians have posted. But when it comes to these particular variants and particularly after test driving both of them, these are my final observations and now I need all the help I can get to pick one.

Considering whatever little knowledge I have on the automobiles, please forgive me if the following observations sound silly.

Honda City zx petrol Manual:

Pro's:
1. Excellent driver seating position for my taste ( I've driven only hatchbacks and sedans all my life, driven XUV 500 before only once a while ago)
2. And excellent passenger comfort as well
3. Throttle response is good (seltos felt a bit underpowered here, as bhpian "Aditya" mentioned, but does well at cruising speeds)
4. Suspension is smooth and handled minor potholes and some speed bumps with ease.
5. FE seems to be better than the seltos

Cons:
1. I could still hear the engine revving, though sporty like, I'm sold to seltos for its buttery smooth tuning
2. Infotainment system could have been better and the pathetic rear camera.

I test drove two different vehicles of same variants, and the experiences have been completely different. The first one had around 8k kms on the odo, was showing FE of around 15 and the car was well maintained, one could say by looking at it. I've driven this on empty stretches for most part and I must admit I've almost decided Honda City is the one. The launch was great and shifts were a breeze too. And I went hard on the pedal while cornering too and had not lost the confidence. Breaking was decent and the car handled it smoothly at 100+ speeds. The audio system was pretty impressive(this is important for me). Engine noise felt inside the cockpit but was music to my ears.

And at the second test drive, this car did about 16k kms and the FE on this was around 8'ish. This was in the city conditions. Revving noise felt inside the car and was kind of irritating (may be partly because I've driven the seltos an hour before). But the car handled all the bumps and potholes smoothly, no complaints there. And this time the infotainment system felt a bit old fashioned, again the seltos is the winner here.

Seltos HTX G 1.5 petrol Manual:
1. Ohhh, the buttery smooth engine, as I've read in many reviews, enjoyed it through out the drive.
2. Looks, sold on the looks to this one. Feels fresh
3. Rear discs, which I felt were the reason for effortless and efficient breaking ability
4. Infotainment system, bang for the buck, loved the display and the transitions. Looks a lot better than Honda. Can't even compare

Cons:
1. Driving position, felt a bit wierd, may be because of my all hatchback experience. Seats were not so great when compared to the ones from the city.
2. Too slow in the 1st and 2nd gears, feels underpowered. Stabilises after the 3rd and it is fun to drive and maneuver after.
3. 2 airbags, could have got all 6 and a better safety rating could have been a plus too.
4. Mentioning this last but not the least the Fuel Economy. I would drive my car mostly in city roads and on an overage twice on long stretches of around 400 km(roundtrip)
5. Thought the passenger seat was comfortable, got complaints from the occupants in the back about the stiff suspension
6. Costs about 65k more than the Honda city(which already overshot my budget by 130k) from the quotations I got from the dealers

Was sat in the front passenger seat for awhile and thoroughly enjoyed the ride(again the smooth engine). As mentioned seating wasn't the best when I shifted to driver's seat(may be I can get used to this may be). Maneuvering felt like a breeze after the 3rd gear (me expecting that pull from the 1st gear itself).

Finally the ultimate question, which one should I go for.

The seltos for it's fresh looks, wide tires, smooth but slow responsive (initially) engine, back discs, impressive infotainment system and not so impressive driver and passenger comfort and stiff suspension.

Or
The Honda City for its ever classy but familiar and the all new 5th gen look, smooth suspension, responsive but a bit tiny bit noisy engine than the seltos, and super comfortable driver and occupants seating, decent Fuel Economy and lesser pricing than the seltos for the lack of rear discs and better infotainment system.

please do suggest which one to opt for, if at all I was able to make you understand my experience with both of these vehicles and again do forgive me for my clumsy 1st post. I will try to get better at posting these.

Thanks in advance
venkat07_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 08:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda City versus Kia Seltos

For urban usage, nothing beats the Honda City. Will strongly suggest that you ditch the manual and go for the CVT. This combination is supremely smooth and easy to drive and is also very fuel efficient.

Rear discs are a rather overrated point, especially for your kind of usage. Nobody ever had issues with the City’s brakes. Just upsize the tires post delivery and you are sorted.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Strictly between these 2, I would suggest City for its much better performing engine than Seltos 1.5 NA
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 10:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat07_ View Post
Before everything, I've tried to wrap my head around majority of the reviews bhpians have posted. But when it comes to these particular variants and particularly after test driving both of them, these are my final observations and now I need all the help I can get to pick one.
Dear Venkat, please let us know what you are looking for in your new car (as in, what's more important) as it will help us in assisting you to make a better decision.

Regards,
Akash
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've driven only hatchbacks and sedans all my life
Most people prefer crossovers like Seltos for the higher seating and slightly better ground clearance. Then they choose the engine of choice and call it a day.

The fact that you have driven hatchbacks and sedans throughout and have been comfortable in them, I would suggest you stick to your love, the sedan. You are more comfortable in the driver seat of the City and your family likes the rear seat/suspension of the City; this reinforces the fact.

City engine is definitely very loud and intrusive (even I hate this about the City). But it performs very well and is fuel efficient. Go for it.

Have a look at the kids on the block - Slavia and Virtus, before you make the final call.

PS: You would get used to the engine noise with time. If you still don't like it, you can get some damping done to reduce the noise.

Last edited by ashis89 : 13th March 2022 at 11:14.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:24   #6
BHPian

If its Petrol, I'd suggest going for City for its proven 1.5 iVTEC engine, which is smooth as a butter and fuel efficient, and one can rev the engine till 7000 RPM. Also, do try the 4th gen City V MT as it comes at the price od 12L and you can save around 4L over the 5th gen City.

I'll suggest the Seltos if its Diesel as 1.5 NA Petrol is bit underpowered as per my friend, who owns a 2020 Seltos HTX P MT. If you feel 1.5 Petrol underpowered in Seltos, why not try 1.4 TGDi Petrol MT? The 1.4 TGDi motor has oodles of power and fun to drive as well but bit overpriced when compared to 1.5 HTX P MT and not as fuel efficient as City iVTEC.

But, between these two, I'd suggest the City over the Seltos any day just for that 1.5 iVTEC engine as well as driving pleasure, which the sedan offers.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 13th March 2022 at 11:25.
car_guy1998 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:37   #7
BHPian

When you start driving the car daily along with your family, and the novelty factor is gone after few months or a year, then what is more important to you ? A spacious cabin, comfortable seats, not so hard suspension so that back seat comfort is good, a better safety rating and safety equipments for less price, and better mileage OR a hard suspension so that the drive feel is good, a crispy infotainment system that you can look at continuously when the car is not moving, and better looks when you park your car to others? Deciding this will help you to select the car. Another simplest way to select is, look at the number of cons you identified in each.

As suggested by Shreyans, do check out the Auto versions as well before you finalize.

By the way, to be fair, I own a City ZX CVT, so my above response might be biased. But I went through the same dilemma while buying it and the Seltos's safety rating with high price for its CVT and high waiting period sealed the deal in favor of City in my case.

Last edited by sreerknair : 13th March 2022 at 11:43.
sreerknair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 11:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Dear Venkat, please let us know what you are looking for in your new car (as in, what's more important) as it will help us in assisting you to make a better decision.

Regards,
Akash
First of all I enjoy the overall experience of driving a car, and would need comfortable seating for that. Love to drive manual cars and the engine's response when I gas is important whether I'm in the city or on an open stretch, That gives me pleasure. Passenger comfort is as important, as my parents would frequently join me. If I get mileage as a bonus, I'll take that.

Only other things seltos has for me is the noiseless engine and the fresh looks.

I may be wrong and seltos has more to offer I failed to notice. And not owning a 4 wheeler before may have contributed to my lack knowledge. All this got me worried and here I am hoping to make a right choice now and not regret later.
Old 13th March 2022, 13:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all I enjoy the overall experience of driving a car, and would need comfortable seating for that.
As you mention this, I think the City seals the deal right here. The ride quality is definitely much softer than the pretty stiffly-sprung Kia and especially if you're parents are going to be joining you, it would make sense for you to go with the City.

Would you be open to looking for other options? I think the Skoda Slavia/VW Virtus 1.0MT could also be a viable option for you.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 14:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
As you mention this, I think the City seals the deal right here. The ride quality is definitely much softer than the pretty stiffly-sprung Kia and especially if you're parents are going to be joining you, it would make sense for you to go with the City.

Would you be open to looking for other options? I think the Skoda Slavia/VW Virtus 1.0MT could also be a viable option for you.
Yeah, they've been on my radar too. But if I choose the slavia or the virtus I'd want to go with the higher 1.5 versions, which unfortunately won't fit in my budget. But if the 1.0 versions offer what I'm looking for interms of drive quality and comfort I'll definitely have a look at them.
Old 14th March 2022, 09:03   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda City versus Kia Seltos

Adding a poll to spice things up here!

You are comparing a car with the best naturally-aspirated petrol engine sold in India, to one with a mediocre one. Between these two, I would recommend the City 1.5L because it's a lot of fun <120 kmph, and also offers superior ride comfort. The Kia Seltos is best bought with the 1.5L Diesel or 1.4L Turbo Petrol.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 13:21   #12
BHPian

Voted for City!

Based on your requirements, nothing beats the City for city drives in its category.
I will still suggest you spend more time in these cars and take this decision.

Also answer some questions for yourself (if not already):
1. How much time you will spend driving this car per day
2. Do you have any typical GC requirements?
3. Maintenance cost
4. Others from family who will use this car as drivers/ passengers

All the best!
vikas2211 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 14:30   #13
BHPian

I own a seltos and my brother owns a honda city. They are different types. Will never compare the two. My brother opted for city because of less waiting period. I would say buy the one where your heart feels happy.
motorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 15:25   #14
BHPian

Well I was also confused about what to buy for my wife. You can read more about it here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ti-ciaz-3.html (Which chauffeur driven car for 12-15 lakhs? Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz)

After seeing and driving almost all options,you will be surprised that my wife finally approved of Kia Seltos and we booked 1.5L GTX Plus AT. While I shall be writing a detailed thread once we get its delivery, in short it can be said that we felt the Seltos to be most well packaged product when you are spending 20 lacs.
Joyb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 15:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Which ever you choose, I suggest not to think too much of the type of rear brakes. Primary stopping action is in the front. Drums at the rear are fine. I recently changed the front & rear pads and front discs on my Storme. Though both front & rear pads were last replaced at the same time, the rear pads had worn only half as much as the front set.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks