Honda City 1.5L iVtec 224 83.58%
Kia Seltos 1.5L NA 44 16.42%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2022, 15:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda City versus Kia Seltos

Honda City it is.
Nothing beats the Vtec 1.5 even after 20 years.
All your other factors will eventually fade away once you start using the car. And its Honda - for reliability, comfort, and ease of maintenance.
Old 16th March 2022, 16:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat07_ View Post
Yeah, they've been on my radar too. But if I choose the slavia or the virtus I'd want to go with the higher 1.5 versions, which unfortunately won't fit in my budget. But if the 1.0 versions offer what I'm looking for interms of drive quality and comfort I'll definitely have a look at them.
For someone who seems to be going for a full time car ownership for the first time, my idea would be to steer clear of the Germans- those are nasty little brands one should go for only if they have a plethora of knowledge and know-how to handle the antics thrown by the cars and the dealerships.
(no offense to owners)
Any Japanese car is any day more suited to your case.

As for the Seltos v/s City my vote would go for the City for the additional safety, better NA engine, and better FE with similar upfront and maintenance costs.
rajk15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 17:14   #33
BHPian

Considering the segment you're eyeing and for your requirements, I'd go for the City or the Slavia and not the Seltos.

You really cannot go wrong with either. Plus the City has been around for a while whereas the Slavia is a fairly new product and I see that it does not have the same quality as the Rapid. I'd avoid the Seltos for its rather stiff/sporty ride.

Many congratulations on your purchase Venkat! May you and your family enjoy plenty miles with smiles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat07_ View Post
Yep, The sales guys in Kia has also mentioned that there is a probable price hike in April, mostly because of the mandatory 6 airbag set up in all trims.

And on to the good news,

Went ahead Booked the Honda city ZX Petrol Manual(Lunar silver Metallic). As my brother Phani says I was already there since the time I took the first test drive. Took another test drive yesterday and sealed the deal.

The seltos and CITY may not be comparable as they belong to different segments, the price point and the fact that both of these are good in their own offerings made me consider and compare them in the first place.

Thank a ton everyone for the help on my first post of my first ever car, here's to more in the coming days. Cheers!!!
chaosengine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 22:21   #34
BHPian

As a person who has owned OHC 3rd gen for 10 years my 2 cents is if you want a hassle free ownership go for honda city. Take the maximum warranty and extend it up 10 years. Treat the extended warranty as a term insurance.

Honestly the Seltos NA is a dud and can’t hold a candle to the City’s NA.

Also City has a better Safety ratings.
zeus_700 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 00:37   #35
BHPian

I’m going to go against the tide here and vote for the Seltos.

I was in a similar boat till a few months back, my budget allowed me to get the base model City in its CVT guise or the Seltos in the HTK plus IMT trim. While the engine of the City is leaps and bounds ahead of the one in the Seltos, one needs to keep in mind the overall picture, the kind of conditions you’ll be driving in and also the future trips you may want to undertake.

I preferred the Seltos more seeing the overall package including daily use items such as the ICE.
Old 17th March 2022, 01:06   #36
BHPian

Voted for the City because we have one in the family, although an old gen, almost a decade old but the engine is still a hoot and the Michelin XM1s make it a supremely comfortable drive all around. I dislike the Seltos for its stiff ride. My parents love the back seat comfort of the City. Add some gizmos to the new City and you are sorted. Oh and I absolutely love the Sokai cockpit. It is sheer awesomeness. Go for it!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:49   #37
nvn
BHPian

One important factor to account for is the ground clearance. While the roads in general have been improving there are still a lot of bad stretches Also the turn around time to fix a broken road (after heavy rains) is also high. Considering this I would lean towards Seltos over City
Old 17th March 2022, 19:11   #38
BHPian

The fifth gen City has some drawbacks such as excessive wind noise at high speeds and rattling. But ground clearance ain't one of those. I have already been to Spiti Valley and other places in my City and ground clearance never posed any challenge. However City can never provide you that high seating position and superior visibility. Sometimes I get stuck in a wrong lane just because I cannot see what's ahead of the vehicle that I am following.

Congratulations on your new car. ZX is the varient to have.

Right now because of (Holi)days I am thinking of leaving for Uttarakhand. I'll get a shower, fill the the tank, check the tyre pressure and leave within an hour. That's how fuss free it is to own a City.
Learner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 23:13   #39

I went through the same question last month. In my case I was trying to decide between the ZX MT and HTX MT. The final reason to go for the City ZX MT was mainly because of the 6 airbags and cost diffrence.

To get 6 airbags in Feb 2022 I was looking to pay 3.1l Onroad more than the City for the GTX 1.4 variant and the wifey was adamant not to pay that much extra.

Got the City and have not regretted the purchase till date.
Old 18th March 2022, 07:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps if you had a look at the Creta IVT, you could have had a car that's bit more comfortable than the City, especially at high speeds ( I felt it to bit bouncy on uneven surfaces at speed), plus the advantage of ground clearance. However, the City still beats it in terms of boot space, and the newly discovered safety rating although the Creta also gets the same level of safety kit in higher trims. But the City desperately needs a better tyre size. Those 185/55/16s are just not good enough.
Old 19th March 2022, 19:46   #41
BHPian

Honda city quality has gone down over the years.
Suspension setup is very noisy on 4th gen and definitely not very comfortable . music system output is good. But the worst part is it’s A/c. I enquired dealership about A/c not being effective as compared to 3rd Gen. they say to reduce costs they have changed the compressor from 3rd gen to 4th gen. 3rd gen compressor costs 70K whereas 17K for 4th gen. you can imagine the cost cutting. The worst part A/c setup is same in 5th gen. For temp reaching mid 40’s in north india, it’s barely
Manageable. I had no option but to put Sun Film on the windshield after 2 service centre told me there is nothing much they can do to
Improve A/c. My car is still in warranty period though.
Old 13th April 2022, 12:47   #42
BHPian

I bought my second car the City 4th gen back in 2017 after driving my first car i10 Sportz for over 10+ years. I was inclined towards City and my wife towards a midsize SUV. As our budget was around 10-12 Lacs, we only had a choice of Duster as an SUV, as other cars in the segment were costly like Creta was >14L and XUV was >16L, and I didn't want to go with a 7 seater like Ertiga either.

Back then while doing my search for a new car, I use to have too many arguments with my wife, as she needed an SUV with high seating, that was the only criteria for her to buy a new car, no brand, no bells & whistles.

I didn't go with Duster because of its doubtable future & resale value, also I wanted a petrol car for a low daily run. I always liked City due to its brand image, comfort, refind engine, good FE, resale value, and overall a no regret car. But little did I know that its GC and seating were very low compared to my i10, and my wife was claustrophobic. So after buying the car used to get scratched on its underbelly on most of the speed breakers and cellars entry & exit. And my wife being claustrophobic couldn't enjoy its ride due to its low seating and felt nauseating on most of the rides till today. It didn't use to happen with my i10 earlier & now and my bros TUV300 too. So I think this has something to do with high seating and wide/big windows.

So, I've only these 2 pet peeves with my City, low GC and claustrophobia for some people. If you are OK with these 2 problems then I would also suggest you go with City petrol, otherwise, if you want to go with diesel go with Seltos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks