Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2021, 15:41   #1
BHPian

Should I buy a Mahindra in Dubai?

I am working in the Middle East and have driven/ owned many cars (mainly SUVs). I have some aspirational cars but most of them are out of my reach except for Mahindra.

While I was in India, I had my eyes set of XUV 500. I never purchased one though.

My current car (Explorer) is due for a replacement and I was thinking of owning the XUV 500. But I am not sure if it's a good idea.

We are a family of 4 and travel with at least 2 small bags and 1 pram so a 7 seater car fits the need for storage. I have driven XUV in India and like it's high riding position and overall feel.

However, I am not sure if this would a good idea to own it here primarily because:

1. It's not a well recognized brand so it's resale value would be lower

2. Finding FNG for a manufacturer who has only 2 models on sale is going to be a Herculean task

3. I am not sure how good would be the availability of spares

4. I could not find reliability data on XUV in middle eastern climate (most of the manufacturers have middle east specific models which manage heat and sand better than say their European counterparts)

Having said this, it's not a costly car to purchase compared to its Japanese rivals and is a well rounded product.

Has anyone owned or knows anyone who owned Mahindra in Middle East? Is it a good idea or it's better to stick to the Japanese for reliability?
theflyingguy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 18:30   #2
BHPian

re: Should I buy a Mahindra in Dubai?

The XUV500 is certainly a very good car, but since you belong to arguably a country with a wide selection of cars to offer, I would personally suggest sticking to other car brands, especially those which you will not be able to enjoy in India. You will have the benefit of owning an international model, which you cannot have while in India. You can always drive or own an XUV500 when in India, but just because of the wide selection of cars that you can buy, of all shapes and sizes, I would suggest you try out other brands.

Personally, after being in Dubai for a few days (I don't know how much the car scene has changed in 4years time), I saw a lot of cars that were sold in India too, such as that of the Sunny, the Fluence, and even a solitary Dzire. But one thing which caught my eye was the sheer no of international brands present, be it Germans, Italians, Swedish, Japanese or Korean, there were all kinds of cars. If your heart says for the XUV, you should get one, but if you are ready to have an open mind, I would suggest you try different cars and come to a conclusion.
TorqueMonster is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 18:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not a good idea.
Do not compromise on safety owing to the speeds involved on those roads. The 500 wasn't designed keeping that in mind since its an old car so IMO please get something safe(like your explorer).

Also Mahindra's USP of coverage and economy doesn't apply there since its a foreign brand.
On resale you cannot match Toyota and Nissan in UAE.

May I also recommend 2-3 year old Germans since generally the maintenance is good.

Since you are in AD do check out Eurostar Car Rentals used cars section, they're owned by Ali and Sons, the local VAG group dealer and their cars are well maintained.
Outside of that you know better than me.

Last edited by shancz : 27th December 2021 at 18:42.
shancz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 18:43   #4
BHPian

Seen a couple of XUV 500s on the road but it's certainly not a popular car in the UAE. Also, the XUV is not in the same segment as an explorer. I think the XUV competes with the Kia Sportage and Honda CRV while the Explorer competes with the Honda Pilot, Chevy Traverse etc. The Explorer also comes with a bigger engine, is bigger and has more features, so, I am not sure if the XUV is the right replacement (unless you want a smaller car).
dragracer567 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 20:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post

1. It's not a well recognized brand so it's resale value would be lower
2. Finding FNG for a manufacturer who has only 2 models on sale is going to be a Herculean task
3. I am not sure how good would be the availability of spares
4. I could not find reliability data on XUV in middle eastern climate
1. Resale value in GCC? Strictly Japanese.
2. You won't be able to repair the car anywhere like you would a Nissan or Toyota. You would find it easier to find an FNG for Japanese and American cars.

If the XUV500 is a purchase instead of a Figo, Dzire or Sunny. Ofcourse take the chance. You are getting more car. But to replace an Explorer? You will feel shortchanged. You might have loved the XUV500 in India, but the sheen will wear off on UAE roads.

My advise. You can always buy an XUV500 or XUV700 when you return to India for good and feel like a rockstar, instead of owning it in UAE and feeling underwhelmed. Buy the XUV500 only if you get it for dirt cheap price and you can afford to forget about resale value. Chinese and Indian cars are mostly bought as fleet purchases by companies whose sole criteria is 'Brand new vehicle for two years usage'. For them it is easier to buy and dispose the cheapest cars available in the market, than go for long term reliability and maintenance.

Last edited by DicKy : 27th December 2021 at 20:23.
DicKy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 20:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingguy View Post
While I was in India, I had my eyes set of XUV 500. I never purchased one though.

My current car (Explorer) is due for a replacement and I was thinking of owning the XUV 500. But I am not sure if it's a good idea.
Nothing against the XUV 500, but I'd suggest using the opportunity to get a car from a more established brand like Toyota, Ford, Honda, Mitsubishi etc. Most of those SUVs will be built to better standards and have better refinement. If you're getting cars thru a company lease, explore some German cars too

When (and if) you come back to India, you can always buy the latest XUV 500.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2021, 21:18   #7
BHPian

Please don't be fooled that, if you buy a Suzuki, Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc, in the gulf, it'll be made in Japan, these are mostly homegrown Desi hindustani, don't believe me, go to any site like drivearabia etc they clearly mention COO. Which would be India, Taiwan, Indonesia etc.

If you have the funds, get American or European, if not Korean, Indian made Japanese are budget friendly.

Ignore TATA and M&M in the gulf, best buy Chinese use and discard, if budget is a constraint.

Happy shopping.
Vinod_nair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 07:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Please don't be fooled that, if you buy a Suzuki, Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc, in the gulf, it'll be made in Japan, these are mostly homegrown Desi hindustani, don't believe me, go to any site like drivearabia etc they clearly mention COO. Which would be India, Taiwan, Indonesia etc.
Off topic.

Most, if not all affordable Japanese vehicles post millenium are made outside Japan. Though they are slightly inferior in quality, the attributes of reliability, low maintenance, spare parts availability and resale value remain the same.

The Arabs are a picky lot and are obsessed with COO. In fact the Toyota Saudi website even lists out where the floor mat or side stickers are Made in. Part of Hyundais growth in the region was them thinking, why go for a Thai, Taiwanese Nissan/Toyota, when you can have a Made in Korea Hyundai for more VFM pricing.

But that didn't stop the Hilux from being a best seller, with its reputation intact. Except for the 86, bigger CVs and the Cruisers(FJ,70,Prado,LC), everything else in a Toyota showroom are either made in Thailand, Taiwan or USA
DicKy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2021, 10:05   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Mahindra in Dubai?

No. Simple reason - do in Rome as the Romans do. You can always get a Mahindra once you are back here. Till then, get a car that you cant get here.
condor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 11:12   #10
BHPian

As I was also a resident of Abu Dhabi, I would like to offer a piece of advice. Indian cars are mostly manufactured, keeping in mind, the condition of Indian roads IMHO. I don't think they are suitable for Abu Dhabi or Dubai's butter smooth and fast roads.
Rajjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 11:48   #11

Hi, I am working in Saudi Arabia. Actually I got a XUV500 before a week. As it's a company provided car I am not so worried about the service. But my company already owns few Scorpio pick ups which is doing well till now. Only issue for each and every parts or services you will have to go to the authorized agent. Because you won't find Mahindra parts suppliers other than them.

Coming to the vehicle. Its a good car. I drove around 1000kms till now. For me the way it drive and pick up the speed is like that of a Fortuner ( i used that too in here). It got space, better driving position, gear box is smooth. Sometimes you feel the push back to the seats whenever the turbo kicks in 🤩. It's a good value for money car in here. I'm also not sure how it behaves in extreme summer. As per the dealer they have sold many in the last 2 years and didn't faced any issues till now.

I am having the W6 variant, which comes with most needed features. I'm happy with the car.
Shiali is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 12:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

While it’s patriotic to go for XUV500 basis your preference, Dubai is land for wide range of cars. I suggest you explore and enjoy
Old 30th December 2021, 14:02   #13
BHPian

I have worked and stayed in Dubai for 7 years and am amazed at the variety of cars available and that too at fraction of prices in India. I could even afford a B or M badge their with my meagre earnings as the prices and taxes and fuel all are so low in UAE.

So, buying Mahindra there is like going to Las Vegas and want to play matka rather.

Its your personal preference though, but given the choices and value propositions available in Dubai, I would be confused for years on deciding on so many other cars there.
xway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 16:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Surprised too read that the XUV 500 is still available. AFAIK, Mahindra has stopped the production of the 500 and alloted the factory resources for the 700. As a result, the 500 had been discontinued from 1 November.

As many have advised, I too think you should consider buying a 700 when you're back in India. Maybe you should book it online.

And start looking for a new car, open a thread for it and keep us informed and entertained. Looking forward to read your test drive impressions of various vehicles.
Old 31st December 2021, 10:12   #15
BHPian

Living in Dubai certainly has it perks and one such are which cannot be overlooked especially for us motor enthusiasts is the opportunity to be in some interesting/ exciting automobiles that you cannot enjoy back here. Why not brighten your mundane commute with something a little more exciting? Cost is not an issue there either.

While there I used a Mk4 Golf V6 and some Alfa Romeo's , again with a glorious V6. There cars never cost me more that 20k and while back home , I used a Thar for some years.

My cousin went for a V8 Dodge Charger and my sis who is not much into cars got herself a Volvo V60.

None of us would be able to buy or use these cars back here in India. So think again imho.
spd_tkt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks