Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:23   #1
BHPian

Safe Car under 20L

Hi everyone. Coming back from a long break on TBHP. Seeking your opinions and experiences helping me choose a car.

Currently driving an F30 ‘14 320d primarily and occasionally ‘14 Q3 2.0TDI and ‘18 Compass Limited Plus 1.4 DCT. Recently relocated to Mumbai from New Delhi and the new purchase would be a daily driver with occasional highway use.

Must-haves:
1. Safety, must be rated at least 4 stars on GNCAP or Latin NCAP.
2. Electric adjustment for driver’s seat (preferably with memory) as wife and I often switch driving duties.
3. Sunroof (a good size if not a panoramic)
4. Good audio system and NVH.

Seems it is impossible to find the all of the above in one car without looking at pre-owned segment.

On my radar:
1. MG Astor -
As tempting as it is, it’d be wrong to assume it is as safe as its CBU cousin, the electric ZS.

2.Late 2013-early 2014 Mercedes-Benz W204 C-class-
Ticks all the boxes except its age. Long term ownership costs are questionable however these cars are only 11-12L on the market.

3. 2014-2015 BMW 320d-
Hydrostatic lock concerns in Mumbai rains keeping me at bay especially with a car of such vintage not being eligible for zero dep insurance let alone engine & transmission cover.

4. 2017-2019 Jeep Compass 1.4 DCT-
Overlooking the dull interior, I found the lag annoying while driving in the city. FE though not a concern is abysmal, translates to poor range. A good remap anyone might know of?

5. 2015-2017 Mercedes-Benz GLA-
Baffles me why these do not have automatic climate control or rear AC vents. Petrol motor is nice. Same as the C-class. Looks like a hatchback on stilts. Rear bench thigh support is lacking.
himanshu_j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Safe Car under 20L

Given you're currently driving European brands, and are happy with them, I would stick to the Europeans over the Asians.

Given most outstation trips will be towards Nashik, Pune, or on the NH8/48 (there really aren't too many options) - traffic and road conditions aren't great at the moment & unless the driver is good about avoiding potholes and manouvering over large speed breakers consider going the SUV / crossover way as an option.
At home we generally take the Tiguan or C for our highway trips and thankfully they've both managed just fine, but the C does require a little more care on a full load especially at the speed breakers so nowadays we stick to the Tiguan if it's a family trip (less changing lanes, smoother trip which they appreciate) or the C if it's just my wife & I.

In new cars, I would look at the Kushaq - subject to NCAP tests since safety is a priority, while also keeping a keen eye out for a pre-owned X1, Tiguan, Kodiaq. The GLA IMO is a little too cramped and the X1 maybe a nicer all rounder with a better engine, more space and practicality.

In the sedan space, look for the F30 3 series / F10 5 series: in terms of reliability, fun, and features it gets my vote over the C Class (which has a stiffer ride too which maybe a bit annoying on our roads here), & the Passat too can be considered. I would have suggested a Superb but I haven't come across any tempting examples of a Superb TDi (just because it has a better DSG gearbox) as compared to Passat's available + Passat will be easier to manage in city traffic & parking as it's slightly smaller.
A fun vote would also go to an A3 TDi & practical vote for the A4 if you're able to haggle with the dealers and bring down the prices to more realistic levels (asking 30+ for a 3/4 year old example when a brand new one base trim is available at 45-46!)
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:02   #3
BHPian

If you're serious about the crash rating requirement, that leaves you with very few new car options. The only GNCAP tested 4 or 5 star rated cars are Tatas, Mahindras, and the Suzuki Vitara Brezza. The Jeep Compass, the Skodas and Volkswagens or bigger Tatas, the MGs and Hyundais, none of them are tested.

The XUV 700 best satisfies your requirements, but it's more of an idea than a reality at this point. I doubt that you'd want to wait a year and a half for one.
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't a used Passat fit the bill perfectly? It's built well, loaded to the gills, whatever it lacks can be added, and it is quite understated especially in white

A Volvo V40 might also be a bit of a no brainer.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd December 2021 at 20:39.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 20:57   #5
BHPian

If you can stretch your budget by 5%, MG Hector fits your requirements. It doesn’t have published NCAP ratings but car is really well put together. I have experienced it over very long driving holidays and through some unfortunate accidents / situations. It gives the feel of segment above and ride is super smooth and peaceful on our pothole ridden and chaotic roads. So if you go for test ride of Astor, do check out Hector. Also it comes with 5 year warranty and service package. Panoramic sunroof and music quality are big plus. For legal speeds, it’s suspension works well on highways though not tuned for high speed cornering manoeuvres. I would say, after sales service is also segment best. Happy Hunting
FiatDiesel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 12:19   #6
BHPian

Another hard decision, it's harder as we compare cross segment, "used" Vs "new" options.
None in your list has "proven safety" ratings, if you need daily beater car which can travel between Mumbai- Nashik highway, I would bet on kushaq/Taigun, you can save a lot and go for 1.0 Torque converter AT or stretch a little for 1.5 DSG.

1 188MM GC makes them good choice for current highway and city road conditions.
2. 18+ ARAI milage will feel more economical in Mumbai traffic.
Old 5th January 2022, 23:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
1. Safety, must be rated at least 4 stars on GNCAP or Latin NCAP.
Latin NCAP ratings aren't valid for India, period. Very different assessment protocols, and the cars are left hand-driven.

At the risk of repeating myself from other threads, a very reliable source (the horse's mouth, if you will) says that a number of new Global NCAP crash test results for their Safer Cars for India project will be published later this month. If the rating is a serious consideration, I would advise you to wait. Expect popular models to be tested.

In any case, a number of the cars you have shortlisted from the higher-up segments have side and curtain airbags, and ESC, as standard equipment, and if you're willing to forgo the fact that they do not have a valid NCAP rating, they will likely be a better bet, because the fact is that they have some important safety equipment that even 5-star cars in India need not presently have. However, be sure to check before buying whether these systems are indeed fitted (for example, side and curtain airbags are not standard equipment for the MG Astor and the Jeep Compass).

Do consider used Volkswagen T-Rocs and Škoda Karoqs too. I believe the MY2020 T-Roc was equipped with emergency safety assistance systems like forward-collision warning+AEB and lane support systems (NOT to be confused with assisted driving systems). They can be disabled as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
MG Hector fits your requirements. It doesn’t have published NCAP ratings
'Published' might just be a key word there, though my guess is as good as anyone else's (it's based on old rumours and not from the aforementioned source about the timeline).
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 07:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
If you can stretch your budget by 5%, MG Hector fits your requirements. It doesn’t have published NCAP ratings but car is really well put together.
+1 for MG Hector. Just go for a test drive even if it is not on your list. While we were looking at Taigun, Creta, Seltos, etc., we never even considered Hector as an option, but a random visit to MG for checking out Astor changed our outlook. Ended up test driving Hector CVT and found it really good in terms of driving position, power output considering the heft, and ride quality. The low end pickup was great, while overtaking on the highway was not bad either. NVH was extremely low. The build quality seemed great - just check out the doors and especially the bonnet.
morphique is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 13:20   #9
BHPian

Thread update: Ended up purchasing a 2017 W205 C220d Avantgarde by stretching my budget by over half a million rupees.

Some thoughts during the decision making process—

1. MG Hector and Astor
- Hector DCT discontinued, CVT still on offer. Neither suited for the enthusiastic driver, better for the Chaueffer driven or primarily city driven.
- Safety ratings unknown.
- Long waiting for the Astor hence out of consideration.

2. MG ZS EV a tempting option especially with ADAS but couldn’t wait till May ‘22 when deliveries reportedly begin. Hopefully it retains the 5-star safety rating akin to the outgoing CBU model.

3. Skoda Kushaq/ Taigun
- Unknown safety ratings.
- Build quality issues well known now.
- Didn’t feel like 20L+ car on the inside, Miss the T-Roc for this. Lovely 1.5+DSG however.

4. VW Passat 2017-2019-
- High dealer markups despite low sales -> greater depreciation as 2nd owner.
- Uncomfortable with the idea of after-sales support and parts availability down the line.
- Lovely kit. 9 airbags et al

5. Skoda Superb-
- TSI version not considered due to infamous DSG issues.
- Length is unmanageable for the self-driven in Mumbai. Auto-park feature requires ideal conditions which are seldom available.

6. Jeep Compass-
-30L OTR for the petrol Limited variant. FE, range is low. Driving experience is average at best. Performs when pushed but it isn’t enjoyable. Lag is evident and distracting from the otherwise good ride.
- 33-36L OTR for the diesel 4x4. Drastically better driving experience than the petrol. Worth the 3L difference. Only downside is the NVH from the drivetrain.
- S variant interiors are comparable to the German marquees, very well executed.

7. Facelifted Tiguan-
- Interiors are just not plush enough for car shy of 40L. Scratchy hard plastics are abundant.
- Unfortunate feature omissions- wireless charging, wireless Carplay/ Android Auto, ventilated seats, electric adjustment for passenger seat, average audio system etc
- Dashboard rubs against the driver’s knee, an issue I faced in the Taigun and my Polo from two decades ago.
- Lovely 2.0 TSI, DSG combo and ride are the only reasons I’d consider buying one.

8. 2017-2019 CLA/ GLA-
- Underpowered diesel, remap must if you are an enthusiastic driver.
- You get either reverse parking sensors OR camera, never both, depending on the year of production.
- Rear AC vents only available on later models. No climate control on GLA.
- Cabin space at a premium. CLA more comfortable albeit low ground clearance. GLA outright cramped for my liking.
- GLA220d 4matic had a short production run and a true unicorn. Unfortunately didn’t come across a single example during my 3 month hunt. Look for this one guys if you want an all-rounder.
- Heavy chassis noticeable while driving. Doesn’t feel Mercedes enough engineering wise. I say this coming from an F30 hence biased.

A few other cars I’d considered and test driven were the Audi A4 2017 Technology variant, Jaguar XE 2018 25t and Kodiaq L&K. Happy to share my thoughts on these should anyone desire.

Last edited by himanshu_j : 7th February 2022 at 13:41.
himanshu_j is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks