Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2021, 12:43   #16

Re: Reliable, Fuel Efficient, under 18L

Apart from City and Harrier, have you given a consideration for Creta Diesel SX(O) version? Ticks all your requirements plus better looking than Alcazar (IMHO).
sougatadas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 13:08   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My immediate reaction to the Thread Posters friend is that you can spend 18L on a car, but your priority is High Fuel efficiency rather than High Safety?

Advice: Buy something cheaper at say 13-15L with poorer fuel efficiency and high safety to end up with the same cost of ownership overall.

Brutal but, that's how it is.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 14:45   #18
BHPian

Even though you’ve had ruled out CSUVs you should definitely check out the Volkswagen Taigun 1.0L Topline Variant. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the space and power on offer but at the same time being a downsized engine will deliver great fuel efficiency too. Regarding service VAG themselves have claimed to reduce the service costs and are offering some nice Service and Extended Warranty packages which shall take care of the service costs for the time to come. Other minor quality issues will be taken care of in the upcoming batches as confirmed by many sources. Same comments for Škoda Kushaq.

Apart from that the only choice I can see is the 5th gen Honda City, looks are a personal taste but all in all I think it’s a very well rounded package even in today’s day and age. i-VTEC is reliable and efficient too and it does deserve a consideration. The Hyundai Verna CRDi is another lucrative option too but low rear seat space is a moot point. Have a happy shopping time ahead and Stay safe!
Tony2298 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 15:39   #19
BHPian

Although looks is a very subjective topic but I would vehemently deny any similarities to the Amaze! Yes, the front chrome is a bit overdone but the overall styling and proportions are neatly done. I own a white ZX MT Petrol, putting down a couple of links which contain few photos of the same :

Purchase and Initial Ownership (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

Rajasthan Road Trip (Exploring Rajasthan in a 5th-gen Honda City | First road trip with my first car)

This is a post I found for the Golden Brown variant. You can look through this thread for more details on the car

Golden Brown City (The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62)

If your friend is too bothered by the looks, then it would be better to look at another car. I personally would never buy a car I don't like to look at OR try to convince someone to go for an option which might make more sense but the buyer isn't fully convinced about the looks. I understand the confusion though - City fulfils almost all the required criteria.

Also, if the buyer is planning to keep it for a longer period, I would suggest you to go for the 5th gen rather than 4th. It is overall a much more modern package with definite improvements over the 4th gen and would feel much fresher 5 years down the line.
AutoConsultant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 17:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_s_bajwa View Post
- Fuel Efficient (Diesel / Petrol) (At least 16-17 KMPL on highways)
- C Segment Sedan / SUV
- Ease of maintenance / Durable spares / Long term reliability
- Budget upto 18L. Can be extended till 20L.
- Vehicle should justify it’s price (Price Value aspect)

5th Gen. Honda City ZX
Got the 5th Gen City ZX CVT sometime back and I don't think Japanese cars need any validation on reliability, ease of maintenance etc.

On fuel efficiency, I'll let this picture do the talking

Reliable, Fuel Efficient, under 18L-img_20211119_045558.jpg
mAndArk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syks View Post
We regularly hire Ciaz, XL-6, Ertiga for office commute. The FE is miserable 10-11kmpl in city and max of 13-14 kmpl on highway. My choice would be Honda city 4/5th though heart says wait for Slavia to hit the road!
Ciaz is almost ruled out as better options are available.
Thanks for highlighting the fuel efficiency of Ciaz in practical conditions.
I heard that Petrol Ciaz has mileage of almost 18-20 KMPL on highways as it comes with SHVS tech. and lighter body design. 13-14 on highway is extremely on lower side.
I wonder if Ciaz petrol provides such lower efficiency figures that too with mild hybrid tech then Honda City iVTEC will provide lesser than Ciaz on highways.
We were assuming Honda City's highway mileage in Petrol to be atleast 17 KMPL at 100 KMPH.
However, my friend is open to Honda City Diesel as well as mentioned earlier.

Slavia is quite a looker but somehow it doesn’t seem to outperform Honda City in terms of reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sougatadas View Post
Apart from City and Harrier, have you given a consideration for Creta Diesel SX(O) version?
Creta does look good especially from the rear but CSUVs aren’t on his list.
Thanks for the input:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Advice: Buy something cheaper at say 13-15L with poorer fuel efficiency and high safety to end up with the same cost of ownership overall.

Thanks for your valuable advice.
Will definitely take into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
Apart from that the only choice I can see is the 5th gen Honda City, I think it’s a very well rounded package even in today’s day and age.
Yes, Honda City still remains on the top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Although looks is a very subjective topic but I would vehemently deny any similarities to the Amaze! Yes, the front chrome is a bit overdone but the overall styling and proportions are neatly done.

I understand the confusion though - City fulfils almost all the required criteria.
Thanks for all the links mentioned, really provided further clarity of 5th gen. looks that varies with colors.
Your white one looks bright and elegant.
He's started liking the 5th gen. Honda City more in Silver, currently, as the front chrome get's nicely merged with the Silver body color unlike dark colors where chrome looks very prominent. (Will attach the pics to highlight the difference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAndArk View Post
- Got the 5th Gen City ZX CVT sometime back and I don't think Japanese cars need any validation on reliability, ease of maintenance etc.
- On fuel efficiency, I'll let this picture do the talking

Attachment 2248160
- Yes, all thanks to Japanese engineering. Congrats on your purchase.

- This really instils confidence !!! - Is it for real... 22.4 KMPL in petrol ?

If you could throw some light on the speed maintained and road conditions, city/highway which resulted in such outstanding Petrol fuel efficiency ?

Last edited by BlackPearl : 21st December 2021 at 20:54. Reason: More than 2 smileys. Thanks.
i_s_bajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 21:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2298 View Post
- Even though you’ve had ruled out CSUVs you should definitely check out the Volkswagen Taigun 1.0L Topline Variant. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the space and power on offer but at the same time being a downsized engine will deliver great fuel efficiency too. Regarding service VAG themselves have claimed to reduce the service costs
Have a happy shopping time ahead and Stay safe!
Note To Mods: Apologies for this separate quote. Response to valuable points on Taigun were missed and need to be mentioned.

Thanks for highlighting Taigun's pros, will definitely prove useful to the ones considering it.
Regarding their ASS, still a long way to go in providing satisfactory services and i really hope they improve as Skoda and VW got cars with distinct street appearance, undoubtedly. It's just the ASS which becomes a hindering factor while buying.
Really appreciate your valuable detailed inputs.
Old 22nd December 2021, 06:09   #23
Team-BHP Support

If I were to place “fuel efficiency, ease of maintenance / Durable spares / Long term reliability” as the guiding principles, frankly I would narrow it down to India’s highest selling automobile - the Creta / Seltos, in its diesel automatic avatar. It checks all the boxes with the NCAP rating being its only nemesis (I can understand if that’s a deal breaker for your friend). There is good reason why it does a solid 18-20k units every month between these two badge sharing models.

Other than this, perhaps only the Honda City 5th gen in petrol automatic is worth considering. I personally feel that the build quality of current gen Hyundais is actually just a notch better from current gen Hondas and the former will have better longevity on the build front. Just my personal perception at this point.

I don’t have a sense of your location, the proposed period of ownership, or the actual monthly running in kms (sorry if I missed this somewhere) but am going by the FE requirements mentioned and other parameters listed.

No automobile will be perfect and looks are subjective of course but these three are likely your ideal short list. I’ve also gone with a complete personal bias towards automatics but if your friend feels otherwise then of course the list may be different.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd December 2021 at 06:11.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:56   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry but a few posts on this thread are so misleading.

One mate says Ciaz/xl6 delivers 13-14 kmpl max on highway and another (genuine though) posts a 22+ kmpl MID pic of the 5th gen honda city.

Seriously! The Maruti 1.5 is much more fuel efficient than the Honda's 1.5 I have friends who say they got 21 kmpl on a ciaz petrol. I really don't believe any of those claims unless I see it myself after an actual tankful to tankful check.

The IVTEC is the better performer no doubt, but fuel efficiency?? Nah! My BIL is a very sedate driver and yet he couldn't squeeze over 19 kmpl on a 500 km highway drive on his 5th Gen City. 19 is awesome, but what is the point in having that 118 horses just to be doing 70-80 kmph on the 4 lane highways?

PS: Both the ciaz/city have poor build and I would recommend the buyer to stay away.

S Cross 1.5 and Creta 1.5 diesel makes better sense for safety and fuel efficiency respectively.

Harrier is beyond the 18 lakhs budget. Moreover it returns 13-15 kmpl Overall. So not that fuel efficient if your requirement is 16-17 kmpl. Moreover it's crash worthiness is anyone's guess.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd December 2021 at 08:19.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 13:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
- If I were to place “fuel efficiency, ease of maintenance / Durable spares / Long term reliability” as the guiding principles, frankly I would narrow it down to Creta / Seltos, in its diesel automatic avatar.

- Other than this, perhaps only the Honda City 5th gen in petrol automatic is worth considering.

- I don’t have a sense of your location, the proposed period of ownership, or the actual monthly running in kms
Thanks for highlighting the valuabale info.

- Seltos seems bettter than it's rivals in terms of presence, is a CSUV but looks bigger atleast on the outside.

- Honda city is one of the most preferred ones.

- Location: Punjab, Ownership: long term and not short term like a year or two, Monthly run: 600-700 Kms (Approx)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

- The IVTEC is the better performer no doubt, but fuel efficiency?? Nah! My BIL is a very sedate driver and yet he couldn't squeeze over 19 kmpl on a 500 km highway drive on his 5th Gen City.

PS: Both the ciaz/city have poor build and I would recommend the buyer to stay away.
- Thanks for info on mileage aspect. We expect it to be around 16-17 KMPL at 100 KMPH, Honda City Petrol Manual, be it 4th gen or 5th gen.

- Ciaz is ruled out but city still remains as one of the VFM options. However, build quality is an essential factor too but if we consider Hyundai Verna's recent crash test rating, scoring 0 stars then three of them fall in the same category in terms of safety. Good options for City usage and not the best for long highway commutes.
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:08   #26
BHPian

- Recent updates on the below mentioned thread regarding Honda India's uncertain Indian business operations makes us doubtful in considering Honda City as one of the VFM options.
- Info on VRS, Stock Clearance, Careless ASS is mentioned.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...orward-52.html (Honda India : The Way Forward)
Old 23rd December 2021, 15:42   #27
BHPian

I have 5th Gen City CVT Petrol. FE on highways comes to be around 20KMPL (speeds around 90-100 KMPH, cruise control engaged as soon as speed exceeds 70, gradually moving it to 90 through cruise control speed adjustment button). You can in fact squeeze out more if you switch to econ mode and increase the speeds gently whenever speeding up after braking.

FE inside the city is a paltry 10-13 KMPL only. CVT doesn't like frequent start-stop traffic.

On maintaniance and service quality, I am happy (my previous car was Chevy Beat, so coming from minimal expectations). Just had my 3rd free service done, booked through the Honda connect app and opted for free pick and drop.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 14:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
I have 5th Gen City CVT Petrol. FE on highways comes to be around 20KMPL (speeds around 90-100 KMPH, cruise control engaged
FE inside the city is a paltry 10-13 KMPL only.
Thanks for the input.
20 KMPL (Highway) is beyond satisfactory for NA Petrol.

Then my assumption of 16-17 KMPL at 100 KMPH in case of Manual Petrol is most likely correct.
One of my friends is using Petrol 4th gen City and the mileage figures are around 15-16 KMPL on highway and that too with a driving style bit on a speedier side, usually 110-120 KMPH on highway commute. Still, mileage isn’t bad considering the speed.

I'm getting mixed reviews on mileage front, some are getting amazing 20 KMPL at 100 KMPH and some are just getting 15 KMPL at 100 KMPH.
I guess Driving Style varies hence leading to such difference.

Some accelerate very hard, initially, to reach eg: 100 KMPH and then maintain the same speed whereas, some prefer accelerating softly to reach the same speed of 100 KMPH and then maintaining it.
Former burns more fuel due to sudden/rough acceleration whereas latter uses lesser fuel initially as speed is gained gradually.
Pls correct if my understanding is wrong.
Old 25th December 2021, 11:11   #29
BHPian

"+1" for this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
My immediate reaction to the Thread Posters friend is that you can spend 18L on a car, but your priority is High Fuel efficiency rather than High Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_s_bajwa View Post
Hello Fellow T-BHP members,

I’m seeking an advice for my friend who's looking to buy a personal conveyance. He’s currently not on this forum but found this platform an apt one in relation to buying guide.
few things from your friend's requirement confused me

1) He ruled out CSUV segment but considered Seltos ?
2) He wants fuel efficiency but considered Harrier/XUV? not that they are not fuel efficient but fuel efficiency context changes as per segment, what is considered high fuel efficiency in large SUV's segment will change when you move to CSUV.

My current bet in that segment is "Petrol", more so the way segment is moving, so it will be more "futuristic move".

Also that price range, more options for CSUV and SUV's rather than sedan.

I would Pick up german twins Kushaq/Taigun with 1.5 TSI MT with "18.47" ARAI milage.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 21:46   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbhp_turbo View Post
1) He ruled out CSUV segment but considered Seltos ?
2) He wants fuel efficiency but considered Harrier/XUV? not that they are not fuel efficient but fuel efficiency context changes as per segment

3. My current bet in that segment is "Petrol", more so the way segment is moving, so it will be more "futuristic move".
4. I would Pick up german twins Kushaq/Taigun with 1.5 TSI MT with "18.47" ARAI milage.
1. Seltos is almost ruled out. It was considered because it looked good and bigger as compared to Creta, Brezza, Hector and the like. Outer shape and styling is definitely attractive than the rivals.

2. I understand, XUV isn’t the best in terms of fuel efficiency. Also, the long waiting period made him omit it.
Harrier's fuel efficiency is better, around 15-16 combined city and highway usage as per my sources.
Since, BS6 cars are prone to DPF issues and if it's a harrier, might not turn out to be hassle free. Recommended him to opt for XM at 18L On Road instead of XT (though XT is value for money in terms of features offered at almost 19.50L but doesn’t seem worth going for in relation to Tata)

Honda City is the only one that satisfies his criteria when it comes to Petrol.

4. Due to reliability aspect, VW/Skoda isn't considered. Also, we get to see misc issues reported primarily on Twitter so he can’t take a chance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks