Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2021, 23:43   #1
BHPian

4th kid on the way | What car with a 15-lakh budget?

Hola fellow BHPians.

TL;DR for those short on time:
Should I do up the pre-owned Corolla and hold out for a couple of years and then upgrade (more on why I'm considering this below**)? Or bite the bullet and pick-up one of the new SUVs in the 15lac (on-road price) range?

Longer version:

Context:
I purchased a pre-owned 2005 Corolla in 2014 with about 70k on the ODO for 2.5L. It was in pretty good condition and has served me well in the last 7 years. I've done about 60k kms in the car totalling about ~130k kms so far. Would have been an additional 15-20k kms, but the last 18 months ensured that we barely left the house.

The car is now starting to age. I've ensured that the internals have been kept smooth and well maintained. However I've had to park on the street in the last 6 years and slowly, but surely, that's started to affect the outside. Random scratches have built up, the back panel of my side-mirrors have been stolen (damn those guys), one at a time. And of course my headlights no longer look very shiney. Things have switched up a bit and I can figure out better parking for myself going forward (where I currently live) and even if I move, I'm certain that I will be looking for at least 1 safe parking spot for myself.

Why we are considering upgrading**: I love this car and it's served me well, but we are now expecting our 4th and will be a 6 member family (2adults and 4 kids). We were a 4 member family when I got this car (2 adults and 2 kids), and my wife is now looking forward to a new car as this is beginning to age.

My Dillemma:
I have a 15 lac (on-road) budget, but I am keen on getting a car that will satisfy the following conditions (in no particular order):
  1. Be somewhat loaded with features
  2. Be safe
  3. Be able to seat 6 of us - it doesn't have to be a typical 7 seater, just a big car should be good enough given that my kids range from 9-3 (and a new born incoming next year)
  4. Be fun to drive
  5. Be within my budget

But the cars that I'm currently eyeing are: (While these are SUVs, I am open to any Sedan recommendations too.)
  1. The Hector (Hector Plus?) - most likely out of budget
  2. The XUV 700 - Will a decently kitted out version be within my budget? Also, is worth buying just yet?
  3. The Hexa (Discontinued :( ) - Should I buy pre-owned?
  4. The Tata Safari - Might be out of budget
There's also the Ertiga/XL6, Honda BRV (which I'm not particularly keen on - are these as fun to drive or be in?) or the Creta (which I'm not sure about).

What I need advice on:
  1. I spend 50-100k on my Corolla and do it up. Get a decent paint-job and ensure that everything is running smooth and I run it for 4 more years. Then figure. Is this a good idea given the age of my car?
  2. OR I spend 15 lacs for a brand new car. The downside to which is that I may not get the variant I want or the car I want in my budget.
  3. OR I buy a pre-owned car now for a slightly lower budget, run that for another 3-5 years and then see what the market is like down the road.

In case I go with option 3 above, then what would be the recommendations. XUV 500? Hexa? Harrier? Honda CRV? Or even any recommended Sedans? I'm so confused...

Would love some guidance!

Edit: Minor edit for clarification and one typo.

Last edited by Bingeljell : 19th November 2021 at 23:45.
Bingeljell is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 12:07   #2
BHPian

re: 4th kid on the way | What car with a 15-lakh budget?

The Corolla has already served you pretty well and I am sure can last much longer. However, since it is a conventional 5 seater sedan, I would highly recommend replacing it with a 6-7 seater which can carry infants safely with ISOFIX child seat mounts.

For under 15 lakhs, the only 3 row cars available are the Renault Triber, Ertiga/XL6 and Marrazzo lower variants. As somebody who has been driving an Ertiga for the past 2 months, I can safely say that the Ertiga/XL6 offer a decent package for the price. Comfortable cabin, silent engine, decent amount of kit on the higher variants, flexible seating, good luggage space and reasonably good fuel efficiency. Downsides are slightly cheap interior plastics, light weight body and van-like looks. Driving them isn't exactly fun, but then that is the case with most vans. You cans still enjoy driving, but slowly. These are tall vehicles, so aren't exactly corner carving Ford Fiestas. Also worth noting is the fact that the Ertiga has an average safety rating of 3 stars. [I was fine with 3 stars since my usage for this car is strictly limited to city driving.]

The Datsun Go+ is also there, but it is best avoided. There are also cars like the Bolero Neo and Scorpio that can seat 7, but they both have side facing seats, so not very comfortable.

The other cars that you have mentioned- Alcazar, Safari, XUV700 and Hector Plus, all of them start around 17-18 Lakhs and are good options if you can stretch.

You can also look for a pre-owned Innova. For 15 lakhs, you can also get a decent Crysta.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 20th November 2021 at 12:11.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 13:05   #3
BHPian

Two options-

1. XUV 7OO, the new daddy in the segment will be a better choice for the new daddy.
2. Second best option XL6 for the long run and trouble free ownership. 1.5 (P) in the XL6 is a decent mill.

Last edited by saisree : 20th November 2021 at 13:08.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 13:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
1. XUV 7OO, the new daddy in the segment will be a better choice for the new daddy.
He is hardly new daddy, more like a big daddy @OP , are you done yet or no ?

As for the car, suggest you keep using this car that you love and has reputation to be reliable. Take it to the grave. Once thing are more clear then you can decide. Kids are expensive man, or maybe you already know this.
hondafanboy is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 14:49   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

This is a bad time to buy pre-owned the market is bloated for some odd reason. Cars that were selling for a certain amount back in 2017/18 are selling for nearly the same amount even today in the used market almost like as if time and mileage has not been incurred I would say do up your Corolla since there are very few brand new cars in the 15lac segment that will match up to a D-segment sedan's build (germans being an exception most Asian manufacturers tend to give us "india-specific" build when it comes to their sub 20 lac products). Do up the Corolla and perhaps spend the next 4 years searching for a mint condition Mercedes R350
Old 20th November 2021, 16:08   #6
BHPian

I think you should pay may be a slight premium and replace one Toyota with another, by getting yourself the Crysta. It may be at a slight premium than your budget, with used examples being around 16 - 17 Lakhs. But, it is the best and most practical 7 seater you could buy, and you get the same Toyota peace of mind that you got from the Corolla.

If you want to buy a new car, I would suggest going for the XL6. It fits your budget, is reliable, and is slightly more premium than the Ertiga. It will easily seat 6, and since it is based on the Ertiga, it is moderately safe with 3 stars for adults and Children.

Either of these 2 choices will be good as your next car
TorqueMonster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 18:28   #7
BHPian

Normally I would just advise you to stick with the Corolla since it is an extremely good car and very hard to replace. Not to mention the fact that it can outlast its owner.

Since your family is big and growing, I would recommend that you become a 2 car family. Retain the Corolla and do not do any cosmetic upgrades until you can find a decent parking for it. Just ensure its mechanical maintenance and use it like a beater. Since it is a 2004 model, you won't get much if you sell it anyway. You can get it repainted once you find a better parking.

Buy a pre-owned 3 row car that can fit your entire family in comfort and safety. I would recommend the discontinued Toyota Innova 2.5 (the last facelift of the previous generation).

Two cars will add more value to your family rather than just one. Moreover, do not buy a new car unless you are a business owner and you can get tax write-off for it. The depreciation on new cars is a downer.

I hope this helps. Happy driving!
mohitchalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 20:47   #8
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
  1. I spend 50-100k on my Corolla and do it up. Get a decent paint-job and ensure that everything is running smooth and I run it for 4 more years. Then figure. Is this a good idea given the age of my car?
Given that your requirement is a six seater, how is spending money on the corolla going to help? Do you think you might be able to manage with a car that seats four for a little longer? If indeed it is possible (by hiring a bigger vehicle when you need the additional seats) then retain the current car for as long as possible. But if you really need a bigger car then the ones that are within your budget are the XL6, Ertiga and maybe the triber.
ike is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 12:16   #9
BHPian

General question: What happens to my car once it croseses the 20 year mark? I just had to get the registration re-done at 15 and it's valid for another 5 years. But then what?

-- responding to the rest below, some interesting suggestions --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
The Corolla has already served you pretty well and I am sure can last much longer. However, since it is a conventional 5 seater sedan, I would highly recommend replacing it with a 6-7 seater which can carry infants safely with ISOFIX child seat mounts.

For under 15 lakhs, the only 3 row cars available are the Renault Triber, Ertiga/XL6 and Marrazzo lower variants. As somebody who has been driving an Ertiga for the past 2 months, I can safely say that the Ertiga/XL6 offer a decent package for the price. Comfortable cabin, silent engine, decent amount of kit on the higher variants, flexible seating, good luggage space and reasonably good fuel efficiency. Downsides are slightly cheap interior plastics, light weight body and van-like looks. Driving them isn't exactly fun, but then that is the case with most vans. You cans still enjoy driving, but slowly. These are tall vehicles, so aren't exactly corner carving Ford Fiestas. Also worth noting is the fact that the Ertiga has an average safety rating of 3 stars. [I was fine with 3 stars since my usage for this car is strictly limited to city driving.]

The Datsun Go+ is also there, but it is best avoided. There are also cars like the Bolero Neo and Scorpio that can seat 7, but they both have side facing seats, so not very comfortable.

The other cars that you have mentioned- Alcazar, Safari, XUV700 and Hector Plus, all of them start around 17-18 Lakhs and are good options if you can stretch.

You can also look for a pre-owned Innova. For 15 lakhs, you can also get a decent Crysta.
Is a Reanult car worth it as far as overall KIT / Service and VFM is concerned? I was leaning towards the XL6 in this category of cars, as others have suggested, it might be better VFM for a newer car? I know the Crysta comes up regularly in conversations, but my wife just doesn't like the shape of the Innova. Knowing how things turn out, may just end up with that after all of this though

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Two options-

2. Second best option XL6 for the long run and trouble free ownership. 1.5 (P) in the XL6 is a decent mill.
The 700 is very very inviting rn. In fact, its aggressive pricing may be one big reason for me to stretch my budget and pick up a variant I want, that I can use for another 10+ years. But as a lot of people here have commented, might be better to get a pre-owned car from a segment above, except that IshanIan was saying the pre-owned marked is a little whack right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
He is hardly new daddy, more like a big daddy @OP , are you done yet or no ?

As for the car, suggest you keep using this car that you love and has reputation to be reliable. Take it to the grave. Once thing are more clear then you can decide. Kids are expensive man, or maybe you already know this.
Haha bro, I keep thinking I'm done and then 'life' happens. (Pun unintended ) And yes, kids are expensive, BUT, they're a great investment too. Hopefully they'll try and work toward a better planet... WRT the car, whether I buy a new car or not, I do not plan on selling this one. I love it. My only question is - what happens after 20 years? Can I still get it passed and use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
This is a bad time to buy pre-owned the market is bloated for some odd reason. Cars that were selling for a certain amount back in 2017/18 are selling for nearly the same amount even today in the used market almost like as if time and mileage has not been incurred I would say do up your Corolla since there are very few brand new cars in the 15lac segment that will match up to a D-segment sedan's build (germans being an exception most Asian manufacturers tend to give us "india-specific" build when it comes to their sub 20 lac products). Do up the Corolla and perhaps spend the next 4 years searching for a mint condition Mercedes R350
Yeah! The reason I got a pre-owned Corolla as my first instead of something else, even potentially new, was because of what I get in that segment. Is a 2-4 year old Hexa worth it as a pre-owned? I've seen a few around the 15lac bracket and this is one car that ticks all the boxes.
Also, lol @ the R350 suggestion. Just the thought of maintaining a car from that segment gives me chills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
I think you should pay may be a slight premium and replace one Toyota with another, by getting yourself the Crysta. It may be at a slight premium than your budget, with used examples being around 16 - 17 Lakhs. But, it is the best and most practical 7 seater you could buy, and you get the same Toyota peace of mind that you got from the Corolla.

If you want to buy a new car, I would suggest going for the XL6. It fits your budget, is reliable, and is slightly more premium than the Ertiga. It will easily seat 6, and since it is based on the Ertiga, it is moderately safe with 3 stars for adults and Children.

Either of these 2 choices will be good as your next car
Increasingly it seems like the XL6 is one I should consider from a 'brand-new' car POV. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitchalla View Post
Normally I would just advise you to stick with the Corolla since it is an extremely good car and very hard to replace. Not to mention the fact that it can outlast its owner.

Since your family is big and growing, I would recommend that you become a 2 car family. Retain the Corolla and do not do any cosmetic upgrades until you can find a decent parking for it. Just ensure its mechanical maintenance and use it like a beater. Since it is a 2004 model, you won't get much if you sell it anyway. You can get it repainted once you find a better parking.

Buy a pre-owned 3 row car that can fit your entire family in comfort and safety. I would recommend the discontinued Toyota Innova 2.5 (the last facelift of the previous generation).

Two cars will add more value to your family rather than just one. Moreover, do not buy a new car unless you are a business owner and you can get tax write-off for it. The depreciation on new cars is a downer.

I hope this helps. Happy driving!
This helps immensely, thank you! I don't plan on selling this Corolla since I won't get much and the sentimental value of this car is currently worth much more than what I might get for it. But I think having a pre-owned family-wagon + a done-up Corolla sounds like a good deal actually.
Unfortunately, I'm a salaried dude- I'm on the cusp of starting my own thing, but have been on this cusp for a while - hopefully soon though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Given that your requirement is a six seater, how is spending money on the corolla going to help? Do you think you might be able to manage with a car that seats four for a little longer? If indeed it is possible (by hiring a bigger vehicle when you need the additional seats) then retain the current car for as long as possible. But if you really need a bigger car then the ones that are within your budget are the XL6, Ertiga and maybe the triber.
You're right in that it won't solve my 6 seater dilemma - but given that my younger kids are still 3 and to be born, they don't occupy much space in general. And my logic for holding off a little longer was to open up my options in a couple of years, depending on the car scene then, but more importantly I forsee the pre-owned market only getting better. So from that perspective, a smaller investment into the Corolla now can still tide-me for a few years as the options hopefully open up as my kids grow-up.
Old 21st November 2021, 13:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the new XL6 which Maruti will be launching in the next few months. It will be cheaper to own in the long run, as compared with a pre owned Hexa. XUV700 is too new and potentially niggle prone to recommend.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:00   #11

If you’re open to pre-owned and will probably keep the car for 5+ years, you should look at the Innova Crysta. For about 15L you should find a good one. And even if you think you don’t need a 7 seater right now, you’ll definitely need one soon because the kids will grow up in size in no time. A 7 seater will also help in managing luggage. You’re already used to Toyota standards in terms of reliability, which makes the crysta a no brainer and anything else a downgrade.

If you’re going to buy new, then a Hector (don’t know about long term reliability) or a XUV7OO (waiting period?) are the options.

PS - Would still recommend the Crysta.
dr_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:59   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 4th kid on the way | What car with a 15-lakh budget?

Corolla is too old now. Get rid of it. Life is too short to be driving 16-year old sedans. Time for something spicier:

1. XUV700 AT, it's a very special machine. But after 1 - 2 years so that Mahindra can sort out all the niggles in this highly complex car. Outsource the R&D & bug testing to the early adopters .

2. Innova 2.8L ZX AT like this used example. Fast, smooth, fun, practical, bullet-proof, nice interiors. Think of it as a Fortuner with better ride quality, but without the SUV style & 4x4.

You are clearly capable of holding onto cars for long, so don't worry about an extra couple of lakhs for a car you really love - related thread (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2021 at 11:02.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:06   #13
BHPian

If you can pay out the minimum Insurance and whatever little maintenance for Corolla (limited usage), have a spare parking space, then retain it and go for a used Crysta - that is what I did.

I still retain my 2007 Civic and bought a used Z MT Crysta (2016) last year December when it was 4 years old from Toyota UTrust with 1 year warranty and some stuff. Excellent car, even considering it a Manual, I have absolutely no issues driving it in City and it is super cool.

You may get good options on GX Auto or V MT or Z variants around your budget within 50000 Kms run. Definitely possible, if you keep your search on.

All the best

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:18   #14
BANNED

I will also suggest the XL6/ Ertiga. Save some money, use it to raise your army of rugrats.

Seems like you have an exciting home life, a boring car should suffice.
Electromotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Get the new XL6 which Maruti will be launching in the next few months. It will be cheaper to own in the long run, as compared with a pre owned Hexa. XUV700 is too new and potentially niggle prone to recommend.
Yeah, I think a very common refrain is XL6 or pre-owned Crysta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_petrolhead View Post
If you’re open to pre-owned and will probably keep the car for 5+ years, you should look at the Innova Crysta. For about 15L you should find a good one. And even if you think you don’t need a 7 seater right now, you’ll definitely need one soon because the kids will grow up in size in no time. A 7 seater will also help in managing luggage. You’re already used to Toyota standards in terms of reliability, which makes the crysta a no brainer and anything else a downgrade.

If you’re going to buy new, then a Hector (don’t know about long term reliability) or a XUV7OO (waiting period?) are the options.

PS - Would still recommend the Crysta.
Everyone seems to bre recommending the Crysta. I guess I'm going to start hunting for a good pre-owned one and see where that leads me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Corolla is too old now. Get rid of it. Life is too short to be driving 16-year old sedans. Time for something spicier:

1. XUV700 AT, it's a very special machine. But after 1 - 2 years so that Mahindra can sort out all the niggles in this highly complex car. Outsource the R&D & bug testing to the early adopters .

2. Innova 2.8L ZX AT like this used example. Fast, smooth, fun, practical, bullet-proof, nice interiors. Think of it as a Fortuner with better ride quality, but without the SUV style & 4x4.

You are clearly capable of holding onto cars for long, so don't worry about an extra couple of lakhs for a car you really love - related thread (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).
I'm trying not to be sentimental about the Corolla - a friend I spoke to last night said something very similar - along the lines of spicing things up! I definitely buy the sentiment that life is too short to be driving something that isn't particularly special anymore, at least not special if I look at it rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
If you can pay out the minimum Insurance and whatever little maintenance for Corolla (limited usage), have a spare parking space, then retain it and go for a used Crysta - that is what I did.

I still retain my 2007 Civic and bought a used Z MT Crysta (2016) last year December when it was 4 years old from Toyota UTrust with 1 year warranty and some stuff. Excellent car, even considering it a Manual, I have absolutely no issues driving it in City and it is super cool.

You may get good options on GX Auto or V MT or Z variants around your budget within 50000 Kms run. Definitely possible, if you keep your search on.

All the best

Swami
Thanks Swami! The 2 most popular suggestions are XL6 or Crysta - and the the link that GTO shared has me a little more excited than before.

I guess it's time to start my search.

Thank you guys! I'll post back here soon with some kind of update - whichever direction I end up going. You guys are the best!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd November 2021 at 15:23. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks