Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 10:01   #1
BANNED

Happy with my 10-year old car | Retain or replace with a new one?

Hi,
Bought Hyundai i10 in 2011. Its been with me for nearly 10 years and 80000 Kms.

The question in front of me now is to continue with this car for few years or buy a new car - Creta or Innova Crysta.

My i10 is running well. However, got it checked recently in view of impending decision. The service centre gave me a quote of around Rs. 25k for repair/replacement of suspension components, steering rack and few other things. Clutch is a bit hard, may have to change after 5000Kms. Request fellow i10 owners to share their experience regarding maintenance costs post 80k+ km. That would help.

Would like to know from the Community, what would be the better thing to do- repair and retain my existing car for few more years or buy a new car?

Mods : If this isn't the right section for this post, may please change it to appropriate section. Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2024 at 15:48. Reason: Typo
IamThat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 13:19   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
re: Happy with my 10-year old car | Retain or replace with a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamThat View Post
Would like to know from the Community, what would be the better thing to do- repair and retain my existing car for few more years or buy a new car?
I am always a proponent of keeping and learning to maintain cars until they give up on you. These things are engineered to last and while market trends may suggest that you replace your car every 3-5 years, you needn't follow the heard since at the end of the day cars are depreciating assets.

Financially speaking it makes sense to retain your car.

Environmentally speaking it makes sense to retain your car.

That said, if you genuinely want a new car and there is something in the market that catches your fancy that you really truly want, then go for it. We are human at the end of the day and we all get to reward ourselves every now and then. Please however try not to buy a diesel car since your running does not warrant one.

Quote:
My i10 is running well. However, got it checked recently in view of impending decision. The service centre gave me a quote of around Rs. 25k for repair/replacement of suspension components, steering rack and few other things.
These are all expected major preventive maintenance measures. Can't see much else go wrong with your car.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd October 2021 at 13:48.
IshaanIan is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 15:12   #3
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...e-my-cars.html (The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars)

You may want to go through the above thread for some general information on this subject or even report and request your post / thread to be merged into the above thread.

You may also want to read this useful thread on lateral upgrades in case you want to consider going for a nearly new car instead of new.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...-car-less.html (ARTICLE: The Beauty of Lateral Upgrades (Getting MORE CAR for LESS $$$))

Personally from what I read you’ve already used your i10 well and an Innova or Creta either of these will be a great upgrade from a 2011 i10. Your impending repair and upkeep costs that you listed might also be quite high in the context of the car’s residual value.

I’d pick the upgrade option if you are keen to move up the ladder and the financials are not an issue.

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd October 2021 at 15:13.
Axe77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 15:25   #4
BHPian

I personally would say that you should retain your car unless you want something newer, better and safer. I was in your same boat, and almost bought a Crysta petrol in 2020, but then retained my 11-year-old Dzire since it still runs well and has very low miles (70K in 11years). I also managed to spruce up the car a bit with ICE upgrades.

But, if you are keen on upgrading, the Crysta will be your best bet. From what we see now, you like to retain your car for a long time, and personally, there will be nothing that beats the Toyota in that regard, we still see decade-old Innovas still running strong. Even if the Innova is not as feature-rich as that of a Top End Creta, it has all essentials you need, and greater seating and a more powerful engine.

If retaining the car is not your top priority, buy yourself an Innova
TorqueMonster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 15:31   #5
BHPian

I’d say go ahead and change it, finances allowing of course. You’ve used it for a good 10 years and the primary consideration would be safety or rather the lack of it in most cars from that era, even if it has airbags the body shell is unstable and the lightweight puts it at a significant disadvantage in a collision with a heavier vehicle. Also if it’s a manual then you’ll get the much needed convenience of not having to clutch in and shift in city traffic repeatedly which takes a toll on your left knee after awhile (assuming your replacement will be auto). As someone once said, life’s too short to drive boring cars.

On the other hand, if your finances are tight or don’t allow for a nice enough upgrade then by all means hold off and wait until you feel the time is right, always better to wait than to end up with a car one is not 100% happy with in the long run. Cheers
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 15:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The question in front of me now is to continue with this car for few years or buy a new car - Creta or Innova Crysta.
If I look at the 2nd part of the quote here, then you dont seem to use
much. So, would you really need a 25L Crysta ? It's a different point if your needs and planned usage has changed.

The i10 itself has not done much - still 80k. You could get it repaired and use it for some time.

However, final decision on which car to buy would depend on lot of points and not necessarily on price tag.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2024 at 15:48. Reason: Quoted post edited
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
1. The question in front of me now is to continue with this car for few years or buy a new car - Creta or Innova Crysta.
2. Would like to know from the Community, what would be the better thing to do- repair and retain my existing car for few more years or buy a new car?
I have some questions :
- Why do you want to change ?
- What are your requirements for the new car and the budget ?
- If the i10 is fulfilling your needs now why do you want to jump straight to a Creta/Innova rather than looking at something more compact ?

If you want to change just to try something newer/better, that's absolutely fine but then you need to have specific requirements.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2024 at 15:48. Reason: Quoted post edited
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 22:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

9-10 years is the ideal sell off time for a car, as per my experience.

Once you exceed 12/13years, the resale value starts dropping drastically.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 23:07   #9
BHPian

Buying A car is mainly a heart over a head decision. In your case, you have successfully completed 10 years with your steed. IMHO Now you can explore the new options and have another ICE car before the electric age. I am not in favour of creta because of the poor crash test rating of its sibling the Seltos, but I must admit that its ride comfort is stellar. In the case of Crysta, If you are ok the Taxi image and the not so good feature list you can go ahead with that. You can also get a good deal for the current gen Tucson as it nearing its end of cycle if you further increase your budget by a bit more. Let me say, It is actually a brilliant product and my favourite in the current Hyundai stable. The upcoming Astor is also a promising launch but IMO I would stay away from buying that for its 1 year as it would be its beta stage.. Is Jeep Compass and Harrier out of the contest
Old 4th October 2021, 08:50   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Happy with my 10-year old car | Retain or replace with a new one?

I am usually a proponent of holding onto cars for long, but 10 years is a great ownership period, especially for a budget hatchback. You must upgrade to something superior in terms of power, safety, equipment, road manners, luxury & size.

Of course, don't sell it because of the expected repairs (read my article on the topic (Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!)), but because you deserve an upgrade. The automotive world has moved on greatly from the standards of 2011. Pamper yourself with a better car now .

Creta if you don't need a 7-seater, Innova Crysta if you do. It's that simple. Try the ATs, several of us BHPians have become MT -> AT converts over the last decade.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2021 at 08:52.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 09:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
8000Kms average a year, around 650-700kms a month...

Quote:
So budget is not an issue...

Quote:
The service centre gave me a quote of around Rs. 25k ...
Thats OK for 4 struts/shocks/springs, clutch full set, brakes rotors/drums/pads/shoes, all fluids, and may be an AC clean and top up job.

Quote:
Would like to know from the Community, what would be the better thing to do- repair and retain my existing car for few more years or buy a new car
Keep if
1) Parking is not an issue
2) Growing up Kids (1st car) or a market and errands car
3) Its a Hyundai i10, what can go wrong?

Sell if
1) Parking no
2) No need for a 2nd car in home, 650kms will become 325+325 and make things worse 10 years from now may be
3) ....the 1.5Lac sale value helps in down payment for the next car
4) 6 or 8 air bags, ABS, EBD, etc etc makes you feel safer considering traffic has only worsened in the last decade.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2024 at 15:49. Reason: Quoted post edited
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 12:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

You owe yourself an upgrade if you ask me. 10 years of ownership is nice, good and above all, very disciplined. Look at the market and pamper yourself with the latest feature car. Ensure to keep safety in mind. It will be a superb feeling to have all those bells and whistles and those fancy looking buttons and dashboards. I have experienced it, if you have the budget, go for it. You live only once!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 18:09   #13
BHPian

I am in same boat as you. I have a 2011 i10 that has run about 51K kms and this car now needs increased spending. I have done a few upgrades in the form of ICE, tires seat covers etc. However, I do not see further value spending more on this since it is going to get expensive with every passing year. Also, like you, I see that the clutch has gone hard, there are vibrations on the gear lever etc.

Since this car is primarily used by my wife, it did not make sense to continue. We already have a second car (about 3 years old) that would be taken over by my wife while we upgrade to a 7 seater.
Old 5th October 2021, 09:49   #14
BHPian

Get an Petrol Innova AT (the low running doesn't warrant a diesel). If you have parking space avbl, keep the i10 as the beater car (it'll perform beautifully in urban space wrt parking, maneuverability and FE)

Take the Innova and go on long driving tours.

The following places come to mind for driving trips from vizag

1)Araku Valley
2)Bhelum Caves
3)Hampi
4) Gandi kotta and more...
Old 5th October 2021, 09:58   #15
BHPian

Keep the car and make it a second car as the running is low. Hope you have parking space for that.
Toyota innova and Creta are of different category.You may be thinking of a bigger occupancy (family) and better comfort now. That is a good thing. Go for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks