Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2021, 19:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Happy with my 10-year old car | Retain or replace with a new one?

If your requirement is a bigger vehicle then its good to for the upgrade. But i believe u can fix your car at a local workshop for half the price compared to the dealer workshop. After the BS6 upgrades I feel newer cars aren't as reliable as their older counterparts. With lots of cheap electronics installed in the car and high cost-cutting along with building unsafe cars by few manufacturers to make profits in India , needs to be seen how well a new car runs without headache for the new owners.
Sarinkrc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 10:54   #32
BHPian

You have not mentioned your objective for replacing the car but I will assume your biggest concern is reliability of this old car. You also mentioned you are considering upgrade to Innova which is significantly larger than i10 when it come for hauling people around and in comfort (and also in price).

Unless you want to upgrade to haul bigger family and in comfort, financially it makes no sense to sell off i10. The key is how much (intangible) cost you attach to comfort and driving pleasure (over i10) offered by Innova. That intangible is entirely up to you but I can tell you financially the decision to go for Innova will set you back by 40-50L over a period of 10 years (assuming a reasonable opportunity cost).

Few years back, I was in a situation which necessitated buying another car as I changed by job and the office was no longer nearer and sharing car with wife was becoming troublesome. I did a calculation of cost of ownership of a car (i10 types, cheapest), a two-wheeler and taking Uber every day (Rs 500 per day).
Of course, 5 year ownership of two-wheeler was cheaper by Rs 4L and even Uber was cheaper by around a 1L compared to buying a new low-end car. Of course, there is a cost associated with haggling and booking Uber but just to give an idea.

But of course, driving is a lot of fun and You live only once. So I hope this data helps you make a decision according to your interests and circumstances. All the best!

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 8th October 2021 at 11:02.
Old 8th October 2021, 15:44   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

If it is running well then Keep it,
Unless you have requirements which i10 cannot fulfil, (7 seats, large boot, ground clearance, off roading, issue with manual gearbox).

you should keep it for another 3-4 years and if you are concerned about cost of ownership, figure out independent workshop (not OEM workshop) to fix these.

An if you concern is reliability / peace of mind during long trips then get another one but keep this as your daily commuter, because believe me i10 convenience for daily office drive (self) is way better then Innova / Creta

Last edited by Asoon : 8th October 2021 at 15:46.
Old 11th October 2021, 15:50   #34
BHPian

Alright this is interesting. Just like the original poster, my family too owns a 2011 i10 with a mileage of 86,000kms. Last month I took it to Hyundai for a paid service and for repairing a few rat bites, interior lights and whatnot.

The car also had some noise coming from the suspension when turning at low speeds and also while going above potholes. The exhaust also had some damage. I asked them to check what the issues were with the suspension and attached below is a quote they gave me for the parts that needed to be replaced:

Admittedly, I don't even know what some of these components are, but they asked me to replace the entire steering rack for almost 25k, while the remaining suspension components add up to another 25k. A few too many things in common with the original poster for it to be some sort of coincidence I think. I do not know what Hyundai uses as their metric to judge whether these components need to be replaced or not.

It would be appreciated if fellow BHPians help me out to make sense of this list of components. I also have plans to sell the car to a relative once it has been repaired enough to be able to go on a 200km trip.
sravankrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:48   #35
BHPian

Oops, a rookie error on attaching the image it seems. Apologies. Here's another try:
Attached Images

Old 10th April 2024, 11:08   #36

I'm currently grappling with a similar dilemma. I purchased a 2012 Dzire petrol in early 2020, and it's in impeccable condition with no mechanical issues. It typically delivers around 12-14 kmpl in city driving, and I replaced the tires about a year ago. However, due to primarily working from home, I've only been using the car for a maximum of 3000-5000 km per year since 2020, and this hasn't changed.

Considering an upgrade, my maximum budget stands at 9-9.5 lakhs on-road in Hyderabad. I'm open to exploring used cars as well. Yet, I'm conflicted because investing nearly 10 lakhs for such minimal usage seems financially imprudent.
Old 10th April 2024, 12:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post
Considering an upgrade...
Can you elaborate "Upgrade"? Is it to move around the 4-5k kms yearly in style, speed or show off the lifestyle. If you want to be seen in a more newer car for reasons close to your heart then we can give options. Or faster - I, for one, want to enjoy a topless V8 coupe when I still can before I enter 50's, however impractical that car may be. Or a Porsche Boxster, why not?

If your are not clear on the 'why' part of the upgrade than you have the answer yourself.

Quote:
for such minimal usage seems financially imprudent.
svsantosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 14:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post
I purchased a 2012 Dzire petrol in early 2020, and it's in impeccable condition with no mechanical issues. I've only been using the car for a maximum of 3000-5000 km per year since 2020, and this hasn't changed.
Yet, I'm conflicted because investing nearly 10 lakhs for such minimal usage seems financially imprudent.
You might want to ask yourself why you need to change your car when you know it's financially imprudent. Since, it's a 2012 model, the registration is valid till 2027.
Unless you're bitten by the new car bug, my suggestion would be to continue with your current car for a couple more years. After 2 years, you would have to consider either getting a new car or re - registering your current one.
A new car will bring new features and updates, but that would remain true even if you purchase a new car a couple of years from now.
Old 10th April 2024, 17:12   #39
BHPian

I own a 2014 Xcent Petrol with current ODO stands at ~89k kms. My running is mostly within city and for outstation trips I have a 2023 Creta petrol with me. Monthly running stands at 400-800 kms on average.

While I'm living EMI free(apart from HL) since 2019, the itch to replace is there in my mind. Xcent offers great features list for a 2014 car and I don't need anything fancy.

The car has suspension issue, small tear at exhaust pipe and exterior scratches. So these things does bother me lately and I believe this is why I have thoughts to replace it.

Shall I fix the suspension and tear at exhaust pipe and use the car for next few years? Painting the whole car at just 10 year mark makes sense? No rust can be found anywhere. Apart from these, car is mechanically sound and no issues so far. Or should I give it to my wife and get myself a new car? Is it justified to go with 2 cars which is mostly driven inside city?

Last edited by xcentrk : 10th April 2024 at 17:14.
Old 10th April 2024, 18:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
I own a 2014 Xcent Petrol with current ODO stands at ~89k kms. My running is mostly within city and for outstation trips I have a 2023 Creta petrol with me. Monthly running stands at 400-800 kms on average.
Given your monthly driving pattern, it seems you might want to consider getting a new car for city driving. Since you already have a Creta for highway trips and assuming you don't often use the larger boot of the Xcent, my suggestion would be to at a hatchback or a smaller vehicle for city driving. With the ever - increasing city traffic, it would be much easier to drive and park within the city.
Ofcourse, this would mean opting for a lower segment than the Xcent, and you would need to be okay with that.
It's Magic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 19:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
Given your monthly driving pattern, it seems you might want to consider getting a new car for city driving. Since you already have a Creta for highway trips and assuming you don't often use the larger boot of the Xcent, my suggestion would be to at a hatchback or a smaller vehicle for city driving. With the ever - increasing city traffic, it would be much easier to drive and park within the city.
Ofcourse, this would mean opting for a lower segment than the Xcent, and you would need to be okay with that.
One of the major reason why I chose Xcent was because of the boot size. Out of 3 trip I made in city, 2 will be for purchasing items either for our house or for our office. The boot is a non-negotiable part for me.

I've been thinking about getting a used 4th gen Honda City as my main ride for city, which I can use for outstation trips if only 2 passengers. I can see a lot of good, well maintained City retails around 7-9L in used car market. Does it make sense? Or am I pushing my heart over head decision here? Too confused!
xcentrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 20:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
The boot is a non-negotiable part for me.
I can see a lot of good, well maintained City retails around 7-9L in used car market. Does it make sense? !
In that case, is there any reason why you can't use your Creta for both city and highway runs?
I'm not sure if purchasing a 9 lakh sedan would be a wise decision when your Xcent is serving you well. Also, if you're considering buying a used car and running it for 800 kms every month, it's likely you'll be thinking about replacing it in a few years.
Have you received any estimates for the issues you mentioned with your Xcent? Perhaps you could use it for a couple more years before considering a replacement.
It's Magic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 23:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
In that case, is there any reason why you can't use your Creta for both city and highway runs?
I'm not sure if purchasing a 9 lakh sedan would be a wise decision when your Xcent is serving you well. Also, if you're considering buying a used car and running it for 800 kms every month, it's likely you'll be thinking about replacing it in a few years.
Have you received any estimates for the issues you mentioned with your Xcent? Perhaps you could use it for a couple more years before considering a replacement.
Creta is too big to navigate the tight city streets and parking is a big issue.

I'm having the same thoughts in my mind. Why change something that is running perfectly fine! But for some reason my mind want to buy City, even though I have no use case.

Estimate received for Suspension & exhaust is 45-50k if done at ASC. 10-15k less if done outside.
Old 10th April 2024, 23:24   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'm in a similar dilemma as well but with a 12 year old car. My diesel Swift ZDI with 88k on the odo initially the plan was to keep it until its 15 yrs old but I'm wondering if its the right time to replace it.

Usage
95% within the city and almost always chauffeur driven. I take it out on short highway drives once a month~ usually around 150kms round trip. I have a diesel sedan for longer drives but the new car might see a more mixed usage pattern as the sedan is getting old and I frequently face GC issues when on the highways.

The tyres need to be replaced and may be the clutch too later this year. Perhaps a injector overhaul is also overdue. It also requires some body work as it dents rather easily. I'm guessing all this may require 70k max. The car runs ok and is literally indestructible and the perfect beater car capable of taking tons of abuse by poor drivers. I still enjoy driving it within the city due to the compact size and ease of parking.

I can get around 3.75 to 4L if I sell now and the replacement will be a Punch EV/ZS EV or a Sonet DCT. The auto box is a boon as the primary usage of the new car will be within city and since I have no issues with home-charging I'm thinking of an EV as a replacement which should do fine with the occasional highway journeys.

However, should I choose to retain it, I don't think it'll be easy to find a buyer 15 year old 1L+ run diesel car say 3 years from now when electric cars with their improved ranges will be preferred atleast for in city commuting. I may probably get 1.5 to 2L at best in that scenario and may have to replace a few other parts if they fail during the next few years.

So should I retain or sell ? Your thoughts and suggestions please.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th April 2024 at 23:26.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 23:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I'm in a similar dilemma as well but with a 12 year old car. My diesel Swift ZDI with 88k on the odo initially the plan was to keep it until its 15 yrs old but I'm wondering if its the right time to replace it.

Since you prefer automatic, choice is simple. Replace it. Since you might get better rate if you sell now, you can use it as down payment for the next purchase.
xcentrk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks