Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2021, 16:56   #16

Re: Happy with my 10-year old car | Retain or replace with a new one?

We own a Chevy Beat Diesel 2013, 95k on ODO. It was impacted by 2015 floods (Insurance covered most part); During 2017, AC unit gave up - got a 60k repair bill; However one of the friendly technician helped us get it repaired for around 15k (overhaul on compressor - he promised will last for an year); ever since we stick to him, who has always advised considering our interest. Met with highway accident during 2018: replaced bonnet, windshield and condensor - spent 25k. As vehicle was stationary during COVID, we lost the compressor totally (it lasted 3 yrs despite technicial promising us an year) - this time we had to change front suspension + compressor, evaporator, condensor etc - 65k bill. Car now feels much better for city rides and would never rely for highway trip.

I was tempted to buy a new car everytime it gave trouble; until i found a friendly technician from ASS itself, it was a nightmare. Although the expenses were high, it was much lower than a new car purchase (which i am only delaying to get the best vehicle that i could afford)

What i wanted to highlight here is: TeamBHP guidelines and member suggestions which i read before making the decision to retain the car has actually paid off indeed very well. I am still looking for a new car (but without any rush and by going through the reviews and suggestions from TeamBHP). I will retain this car in my dad's memory, which isn't the safest car for highways but good mileage within city; i still look forward to my first purchase (Thanks to All Fellow TeamBHPians and ardent readers)
Nrulz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 18:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamThat View Post
Hi,
Bought Hyundai i10 in 2011. Its been with me for nearly 10 years and 80000 Kms.

The question in front of me now is to continue with this car for few years or buy a new car - Creta or Innova Crysta.
Lifestyle upgrades aside, the fact that you've posted this query speaks volumes about how you're not too keen to sell it.

Quote:

My i10 is running well. However, got it checked recently in view of impending decision. The service centre gave me a quote of around Rs. 25k for repair/replacement of suspension components, steering rack and few other things.
Is the suspension overhaul being done because it was suggested by the service guys or are you really seeing some trouble with the car? You mentioned the car is performing well, so if it's just because service centre recommended it, get a 2nd opinion from another centre / FNG. i10 suspensions can last well beyond 80k.

If you are facing issues in the suspension and spending Rs. 25k seems excessive for a 10-year old car, head over to a good FNG - even with official Hyundai parts, you will see the cost drop significantly.

Quote:
Would like to know from the Community, what would be the better thing to do- repair and retain my existing car for few more years or buy a new car?

The car industry is at a turning point with new vehicles, EVs coming into the foray. The shortage in semi-conductor chips at the moment has increased cost and waiting time significantly for new cars. Keep the car for a few years and later move onto something that's not just an upgrade, but an evolution.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th February 2024 at 15:49. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 5th October 2021, 19:07   #18
BHPian

I am in a similar situation right now.

My i10 is 10 years old. The cars that you want to replace it with are big cars. Driving them around in the city and finding parking will be no easy task.

I'd suggest to keep the i10 for city, buy the Creta/Innova for long distances (depending on your needs).
5-6 years down the road, replace the i10 with an electric car. (Pretty sure we would have good electric hatchbacks by then)
Old 6th October 2021, 08:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Replacing a 10 year Honda City with a new Honda City isn't really much of an upgrade in most cases. Replacing your 10 year old i10 with a new Creta or Crysta is a jump of 2-3 segments - go for it. If you're open to pre-owned, try getting a BR-V or an S-Cross.

Tip: Most recent Hyundais aren't probably as reliable and trouble free as their older cars.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 08:37   #20
BHPian

Very simple. Buy Crysta AT 2.4 eyes closed. If you are worried about DPF, then get a BS4 2.8 AT or a petrol 2.7 AT. Can't go wrong with either. I believe everyone should at least try a big, fat, fast vehicle once in life.
Old 6th October 2021, 12:06   #21
BHPian

Couple of factors specially for a old Hyundai.

1. The part prices for older cars are typically jacked up.
2. Check if your current value of the car plus expected expenses in the next service is greater than a used higher segment car (which isn’t Hyundai - again due to point 1.) If yes, consider that lateral upgrade.
Old 6th October 2021, 14:27   #22
BHPian

I feel that this is more of a financial decision than anything else.

I'm currently rocking a 16 year old Honda City. Runs like a dream, no issues. I've been thinking about replacing it for years, but kept on putting it off. Spending 1-2L on repairs over the past 5-6 years was cheaper than buying a new Honda City for 12-14L.

All that extra money saved has been going into investments (stocks + MFs), and considering the current market scenario today, you can imagine I'm quite happy.

Personally, I'm the kind of weirdo who feels joy seeing big numbers in my account statements.

At the end of the day it depends on your mindset, and where you are in life. Ask yourself what will make you happier?

A new car which will give you added comfort, safety, power and features OR an extra 20-25L growing at a compounded 10-12%+.

There is no wrong answer for the above question. You only live once, so enjoy it.
kadanaJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 16:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to sell and upgrade - just for one reason - SAFETY! Your car has served you well. Repairs is a given with the aging product. Upgrade to remain current with safety standards because world as we know has changed leaps and bounds in the past decade. There’s increase in focus on safety. Current cars are superior in all the aspects - reliability, durability, powerful and safer with the build too. Please go ahead and upgrade to a C-SUV (most of them are 4 rated except Kia mostly) or a safer hatchback.
Old 6th October 2021, 18:51   #24
BHPian

If it's a diesel you've to sell it for sure IMHO - if it's petrol you can hold it as a beater car and do a lateral upgrade or a full fledged upgrade.

As GTO mentioned in last 10 years the automotive world has grown leaps and bounds. And in another 10 years it's going to turn up-side down. I would suggest get an ICE and enjoy the last set of ICE's.

Even I'm in the same boat as you are in. Looking for an lateral upgrade - Duster seems to have hard steer and clutch. Decent and low run Sante-Fe and Honda CR-V isn't available in pre-worshipped market. Hexa seems to be huge for my needs.

Some one suggested Compass which has multi link suspension at rear - got to check ownership threads for niggles.
Old 6th October 2021, 19:01   #25
BANNED

Well I thought of starting this thread, but its already there, so let me also share my issues.I am in a deadlock.
I currently own a 14 year old Maruti Suzuki SX4, no issues with the car or service, with only 20,000 KM on the odometer, it in great shape. I have the Top model with 2 airbags and ABS, the built quality is better than Currect Maruti cars.

The issue here is that the car is too big for us, driving it in Bangalore's traffic is a pain. So I thought it would be good to replace it with a small car like TATA Punch.
My brain tells to replace SX4, but my Heart tells not to do so.

I really need your help fellow BHPians, it would be highly appreciated if the Moderators/Admin helps me out with this.🙏
Old 6th October 2021, 22:27   #26
BHPian

I have used i10 for about 7 years (till 2018) and had to change it because of requirement for a small hatch at my In Laws place at that time. It was run about 55K in 7 years without much required on replacements (one set of fyres changed and Steering column had to be replaced once). I felt it to be a good city car and a little bouncy on the highways So you can decide based on your expected usage. if no other compelling reason or no highway drives expected, I would suggest to retain your i10.

If your heart feels that it is time for an upgrade, i would suggest you to consider pre used route. Likes of Verna, Creta -pre face lift), Elantra from Hyundai stable might be an ideal upgrade.

Also Innova is too big when compared to i10 and remember the same before you finalize your upgrade and BS6 DIESLES have their own set of niggles.

Last edited by ChandraSekarMN : 6th October 2021 at 22:38. Reason: Typo errors
Old 6th October 2021, 22:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post

The issue here is that the car is too big for us, driving it in Bangalore's traffic is a pain. So I thought it would be good to replace it with a small car like TATA Punch.
I wouldnt say driving a SX4 (size wise, i used to drive terrano is peak ORR traffic for years) is the issue, but maybe an automatic could ease your life.

But i wouldn’t recommend the Punch (AMT) maybe a vehicle with proper AT (torque converter) could be a good pick POLO AT or maybe Sonet?

Old 6th October 2021, 23:08   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
I wouldnt say driving a SX4 (size wise, i used to drive terrano is peak ORR traffic for years) is the issue, but maybe an automatic could ease your life.

But i wouldn’t recommend the Punch (AMT) maybe a vehicle with proper AT (torque converter) could be a good pick POLO AT or maybe Sonet?

Sir, Polo has poor under thigh support, Sonet's DCT is unreliable and the car is overpriced(top model).
But the thing is my father usually drives and I am still learning, he doesn't like manual and wants an automatic, but I love Manual. So I am thinking whether to let go of my love(SX4) or keep her
Old 7th October 2021, 00:47   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Ah this is quite a conundrum. As I understand it the primary issue is the size of the car? Or is it just the desire of something new? If it is the latter, then there can be no stopping you. If it is the former, then why not consider a second-hand beater car that you can keep with the SX4? A used chevy spark, 2nd gen zen etc. all make for cheap to buy, reliable and easy to maintain little city runabouts

PS: is your SX4 a petrol? I might be very interested if you are actually selling it
Old 7th October 2021, 07:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he doesn't like manual and wants an automatic
This is a requirement for a small automatic, but in small cars its mainly AMTs, cars like the Ignis, i10, Tiago have it, Punch being a new car would advise to wait for the initial issues to sort out.
The closest proper automatic cars would be the Baleno and the i20, That's for you to decide.

On keeping the SX4, the car is very low run, you can keep it but if it isn't going to being used that much then no point letting it just sit there and lose value especially since you would have a new car.

Most Viewed