Maruti Ciaz 80 32.52%
Honda City 142 57.72%
Others 24 9.76%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 13:55   #1
BHPian

Which chauffeur driven car for 12-15 lakhs? Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz

Biggest irony when it comes to automobiles, you maybe considered a subject matter expert when it comes to cars, relatives/ friends may come straight to you whenever they plan to buy a new set of wheels. But, when it comes to buying one for yourself, you end up being super confused.

So here is the dilemma, my wife’s Vento (2012 Petrol) has crossed 9 years now, the vehicle has started showing its age and requires a visit to service centre every few months for some small issue or other. Decision to go in for a new one has been made, question is which one.

Here are the set of requirements:-
1) She is chauffeur driven all the time, with her being on the driver seat being a rare event which occurs only once in 30-60 days. But it has to be an AT so that we can drive it easily whenever we want to.

2) Back seat comfort and space is of most importance.

3) Because of broken roads of Gurgaon ground clearance and ride quality are key factors.

4) No matter who’s driving it, I always like to go for Top Model of any vehicle, sorry but the car has to have all the possible features even if I drive it rarely.

5) I drive an Endeavour 3.2, which is also the main family car which is used for all events. So the new set of wheels will most likely never see the highways.

6) Budget range: Around 12-15 lacs.

With the aforementioned requirements in mind did a quick analysis of available options and it boils down to this:-

a) VAG Twins : Already have a Vento, don’t feel like buying similar one again. Plus their new variants are around the corner.

b) Verna: Doesn’t seem appropriate for back seat comfort.

c) Mini SUV’s: Hyundai Venue, KIA Sonet segment vehicles. I feel these are best when self driven, not ideal for someone who’s always gona be on the back seat.

After all the deliberations have sorted it down to Maruti Ciaz vs Honda City. Enough has been discussed about strengths and weaknesses of both the vehicles in their respective reviews so wont repost it again. Mind says go for the Ciaz but then the heart says “Honda is Honda”. With this confusion in mind, sharing on the forum to hear your opinions.
Joyb is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:07   #2
BHPian

re: Which chauffeur driven car for 12-15 lakhs? Honda City vs Maruti Ciaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
1) She is chauffeur driven all the time, with her being on the driver seat being a rare event which occurs only once in 30-60 days. But it has to be an AT so that we can drive it easily whenever we want to.

2) Back seat comfort and space is of most importance.

4) No matter who’s driving it, I always like to go for Top Model of any vehicle, sorry but the car has to have all the possible features even if I drive it rarely.

6) Budget range: Around 12-15 lacs.

With the aforementioned requirements in mind did a quick analysis of available options and it boils down to this:-

a) VAG Twins : Already have a Vento, don’t feel like buying similar one again. Plus their new variants are around the corner.

b) Verna: Doesn’t seem appropriate for back seat comfort.

c) Mini SUV’s: Hyundai Venue, KIA Sonet segment vehicles. I feel these are best when self driven, not ideal for someone who’s always gona be on the back seat.
I was considering the same for a long time (since Jan 2021). Waiting for the VAG twins to launch, then waiting for the second wave to subside, finally picked up the Honda City ZX CVT yesterday in Golden Brown color. The car would mostly be chauffer driven, and will be used by my parents who are senior citizens and love a spacious back seat. Also, being 6 footers, City's cabin is the best place to be.
Everything on your analysis is just about everything that we deliberated upon and nothing fits the city for being the 'city' car this it is. Your use case is also very similar, therefore, unless you can't stretch to approx. 17 Lacs on-road, you can't even compare the cabin, ride, gearbox and quality of the City with the Ciaz.
One drive in the Ciaz, and we knew we will be spending a lot more-but getting the City. Ciaz - only if you are unwilling to stretch over 15L for the ZX.
pratyaksh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:11   #3
BHPian

The Ciaz would fit your requirements perfectly. The car is spacious at the back, has an automatic and the ride is plush.
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Decision to go in for a new one has been made, question is which one.
Since you are OK with Ciaz, do check out the Maruti XL6 too. It's a very underrated but capable and comfortable vehicle. You will get the Alpha AT with 2nd row captain seats for under 15L easily.

Some reviews for your reference:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ic-review.html (My Maruti-Suzuki XL6 Alpha Automatic Review)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...mt-review.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...-alpha-mt.html (Brique - My Auburn Red Maruti-Suzuki XL6 (Alpha MT))

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Maruti XL6 : Official Review)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th September 2021 at 14:17.
comfortablynumb is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Since you are OK with Ciaz, do check out the Maruti XL6 too. It's a very underrated but capable and comfortable vehicle. You will get the Alpha AT with 2nd row captain seats for under 15L easily.
Thanks for your input, but we really don't need a 6-7 seater. Also I feel Ciaz shall be more premium as compared to a XL6. And most importantly, she will never be comfortable driving a MUV

Last edited by Joyb : 17th September 2021 at 14:28. Reason: Not quoted properly
Joyb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

After all the deliberations have sorted it down to Maruti Ciaz vs Honda City. Enough has been discussed about strengths and weaknesses of both the vehicles in their respective reviews so wont repost it again. Mind says go for the Ciaz but then the heart says “Honda is Honda”. With this confusion in mind, sharing on the forum to hear your opinions.
Between them I`d take Ciaz if I`m going to be in the back seat all the time.

An alternative is to give your Ford to the driver and get yourself a Thar
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:59   #7
BHPian

It is a difficult choice. Back seat comfort is better in City top end, but the tire noise is quite annoying at the back. Not sure about Ciaz, maybe you should check that aspect carefully on both the cars.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 15:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

An alternative is to give your Ford to the driver and get yourself a Thar
Ha Ha! Well that thought did cross my mind when Thar was launched. But here's why its not going to happen:-

1) Long waiting periods on Thar. I want to buy this month.

2) She wont be comfortable driving the Endeavour if driver is on leave.

3) Most importantly, while I love the Thar, cant see myself choosing it over my Endeavour. So many reasons to it, the whole topic will change.
Joyb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:36   #9
BHPian

Another poll for the King "City".

Voted for City. City perfectly fits and the new Vx should be a great fit. its the most comfortable, airy and spacious car of the lot. Drives neat too. Ciaz is too old to be bought now.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As automatic transmission is a must have, I would recommend the City's CVT over the Ciaz's ancient 4 speed torque converter, however smooth it may be.
Geo_Ipe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Biggest irony when it comes to automobiles, you maybe considered a subject matter expert when it comes to cars, relatives/ friends may come straight to you whenever they plan to buy a new set of wheels. But, when it comes to buying one for yourself, you end up being super confused.
Yes, very much true.
One will be super confused while choosing a car for self, than while suggesting to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
+1
Good suggestion.
My opinion too is similar to what you said.

Quote:
Thanks for your input, but we really don't need a 6-7 seater. Also I feel Ciaz shall be more premium as compared to a XL6.
Would suggest you to test drive XL6 with family once, before eliminating it from your list.
Though 6 seater is not a requirement, it can very well be used as a comfortable 4 seater with lots of luggage space.
Since it will be chauffeur driven mostly, nothing beats the comfort of captain seats with the rear roof AC.

Quote:
And most importantly, she will never be comfortable driving a MUV
If she is not comfortable driving a MUV, because of looks, premiumness, liking then it's a personal choice and you are right in considering either Ciaz or City.
But,
If she is not comfortable driving a MUV considering the size, then actually XL6 is more comfortable to drive when compared to Ciaz, with better road view from driver seat, lesser turning radius(5.2 vs 5.4), lesser length (4445 vs 4490), better ground clearance (180 vs 170)
and easy ingress and egress. Although width is a slightly more(1775 vs 1730)

OT:
My maternal grandfather drives Ciaz in his hometown. And he always says he is more comfortable driving my father's Ertiga. Mainly due to seat height and easy entry exit.

Finally,
If only Ciaz and City are the options. Then would suggest you to go for City.
Since the CVT in City is much better than the Ciaz's 4 speed TC.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 17th September 2021 at 17:53. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 18:24   #12
BHPian

I have a Ciaz in the family. ALL the seats are absolutely terrible, at least for my height. Any journey beyond an hour and I'm in pain. The front seats have no shoulder support, lumbar support or adequate bolstering and the rear have no under-thigh support and the backrest is a mess.

I suggest the City any day if back seat comfort is priority.
DeKay is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since you are insistent on going for the top variant, do remember the city entry variant (V) does match the top end of the ciaz (safety & convenience), if not more on many aspects. The higher variants of the city are oriented around the luxury factor (Leather, LED etc.). However I feel the VX would suit your case as with the 5th gen city you get 6 airbags in the VX and ZX trim (4 in V). The additional airbags are side curtain airbags which will provide protection to the rear passengers. Besides the city being a much more fresher product compared to the Ciaz, the car has a premium feel to it and is great to be seen arriving in one. If your are not strained for budget go for the city else the ciaz. Both are are equally spacious in the rear over other sedan options in the price bracket.

Last edited by TrackDay : 17th September 2021 at 21:36.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:34   #14
BANNED

You should consider the Scross AT. It has a comfortable rear seat, good ride & build quality.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 11:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Since you are insistent on going for the top variant, do remember the city entry variant (V) does match the top end of the ciaz (safety & convenience), if not more on many aspects. The higher variants of the city are oriented around the luxury factor (Leather, LED etc.)..
Going to see both this Sunday. I am getting a strong feeling that that i will end up spending 4 lacs extra in buying top end City over Ciaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC5005 View Post

If she is not comfortable driving a MUV, because of looks, premiumness, liking then it's a personal choice and you are right in considering either Ciaz or City.
But,
If she is not comfortable driving a MUV considering the size, then actually XL6 is more comfortable to drive when compared to Ciaz,

Will definitely have a look once we are there. No offence to any of the owners, but I guess it will come down to looks, interiors and premiumness.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th September 2021 at 18:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks