Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2021, 09:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a $60,000 car in USA | Keen on a V8

CarBot, Looks like your mind is set on the Charger. I totally get the charm of the old school big V8 sedans, with their mixture of brute power, bellowing roar & family practicality.

Petrolheads in Australia have now realised too late (3 years after GM Holden Commodore SS 6.2 Litre V8 sedan became history) what they are missing - consequently, second-hand prices have shot up to new car prices in 2017!

Go ahead & enjoy a full size V8 muscle car in the US while you can - soon enough we'll all be driving EVs which might be fast, but hum like sewing machines: nothing remotely like the roar of a N/A V8 like the AMG 6.2 litre.

Best to make use of the depreciation & buy a good used Charger.

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 14th June 2021 at 09:54.
LTAutoMad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 09:52   #17
BHPian

I would recommend Infiniti QX series. It's packed with mind blowing features and you can build your own car. They support you with some premium services like Trip Interruption Benefits etc.
Rajjay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 11:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
3. The bad advice. Go for the latest corvette eyes closed.
Thanks TrackDay, I would say it is a good bad advice I would love the Corvette it is out of the world and as you said the $$ is also out of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
OK ... I have not driven 8 Cyl. Vehicle in USA, although used LC in Dubai Dune bashing, I do not see any major benefit of V-8 in USA where speed limits are set quite low and strictly adhered.
Thanks Amrik, I completely agree that we do not need a V8 in the states, but not able to resist a V8 exhaust rumble at the price of a V6. Charger V8s are not that costly and god knows when they would suddenly stop manufacturing V8s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
If you're able to find a good one, I'd suggest getting a used BMW M550i. I say used because the new one starts at 76k which puts it out of range. But the car is a damn beast that'll make you question the point of the M5.
Thanks Nikhil, Thought about this but not sure if I can make a M3 or M5 as a daily driver. If I think of any maintenance cost that might come makes me scary. Also the driving skills I have and the need not sure if I really want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Get a new FWD (or AWD. Do you need to drive in snow?)
Thanks Sandeep, yeah I am leaning towards 2 car scenario now within the budget, probably a certified v8 and a mid size FWD SUV as family hauler.

Last edited by aah78 : 15th June 2021 at 18:11. Reason: Quotes trimmed. Typos fixed.
CarBot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 12:06   #19
BHPian

My Pick would be the 2017 or 2016 Chevy SS manual. They were 50k brand new and the last few ones sold for $40k in mid to late 2017. Good condition ones are now on resale for more than $50k. They are currently the last RWD Manual Transmission V8 sedans in the USA and hence the premium. Plus they are incredibly rare and have a stealth value. Originally made in Australia by Holden.

Now if you can wait or stretch, I would recommend the Cadillac CT5 Blackwing. Once in the market, it will be the new last RWD, V8 Sedan in the US.

Another option would be to buy an older Lexus LS 460 for half the money and get a Mazda Miata for the rest. You can enjoy some good V8 pleasure, reliability of the Lexus and an absolute blast on various roads with the Miata.

Last edited by anand_lukose : 14th June 2021 at 12:10. Reason: Another thought
anand_lukose is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBot View Post

but not able to resist a v8 exhaust rumble at the price of a v6.
Reminds of our childhood when we would strap a Cardboard piece to the rear frame of Bicycle and fixing it to touch the spokes of the wheel.
We would get perfect sound of Engine and were thrilled to ride those bicycles.
Not applicable to newer generation who were lucky enough to drive real motorcycles as soon as they managed to touch their feet to the ground sitting on the seat
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:15   #21
BHPian

Hey @Carbot,

I think the GMC Yukon SLT 4WD ticks all your boxes. It definitely is one of those big butch SUVs sold there and is powered by a 5.3L V8 engine. Personally, I drool over its macho stance and it sure is some vehicle that has a character.

Want to buy a ,000 car in USA | Keen on a V8-2021yukondetailsmhsm21pgyk00106.jpg

Thanks to your generous budget, you could even check out the Chevy Tahoe or Suburban- provided it's front fascia appeals to your taste.

Link to the GMC Yukon SLE/SLT page-
https://www.gmc.com/suvs/yukon/sle-slt
Link to the Chevy Suburban page-
https://www.chevrolet.com/suvs/suburban
Link to the Chevy Tahoe page-
https://www.chevrolet.com/suvs/tahoe
@og_adi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:15   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am surprised no one has recommended a Lexus IS500 F Sport. It has a 5L naturally aspirated V8 . Plus it's Toyota basically, tried , tested and reliable V8 with an eight speed automatic and RWD. Produces 472 hp which is quite a lot more than the Charger unless you buy the SRT or hellcat versions of it.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 14th June 2021 at 15:27.
Ragavsr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I am surprised no one has recommended a Lexus IS500 F Sport. It has a 5L naturally aspirated V8 . Plus it's Toyota basically, tried , tested and reliable V8 with an eight speed automatic and RWD. Produces 472 hp which is quite a lot more than the Charger unless you buy the SRT or hellcat versions of it.
Lexus or Land Cruiser are both almost same and scale upwards of budget.
As suggested, his inclination towards V-8 is more towards roar of the engine, which neither of these silent beasts would produce.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 15:49   #24
BANNED

Quote:
As suggested, his inclination towards V-8 is more towards roar of the engine, which neither of these silent beasts would produce.
IS500 F Sport is what 55k $. I guess you got confused with the LX . The IS is a 3 series sized sedan. As far as the rumble, a few reviews I came across, mentioned the rumble was loud to justify the sport moniker.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 16:01   #25
BHPian

As mentioned by BHPian Ragavsr, the upcoming IS500 F-Sport might turn out to be incredible value. But it is a compact luxury car so do check if it's spacious enough.

On the pre-owned side, you could look at a 2016-2018 GS F. Has the same engine and is RWD only but is a much larger vehicle. It's also a full-blown F model (like the Ms and AMGs) unlike the IS without the maintenance headaches of the German trio. Looks like the most reliable and comfortable way to satisfy your V8 RWD cravings. I'd say the only fly in the ointment with older Lexus is the infotainment system. Just a tip, I've noticed they're a little cheaper in California.
Old 14th June 2021, 18:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am travelling on long term to USA. This is my second long term travel, I had been there before from 2012 till 2018 and I had previously owned Nissan Murano(pre owned), Toyota Camry(pre owned), Honda Odyssey(pre owned), Toyota Rav4(New 2016), Toyota 4Runner(2018).
I was in same situation as yours, the last car I was driving when I left US was an Acura MDX, before that I had owned multiple Camrys and Subarus. My suggestion would be,

Buy a used BMW X5 (3-4 year old with warranty) for your family commutes. Your wife can drive it in and around the city and for shopping.

Buy a charger or mustang for your own pleasure.

Don't go for new in both cases. Unlike India, you will be getting as good as new car much cheaper in USA. Hope you know about craigslist !
Superleggera is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:03   #27
BHPian

Quote:
You are right, it is more of a roar I am inclined towards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
IS500 F Sport is what 55k $. I guess you got confused with the LX . The IS is a 3 series sized sedan. As far as the rumble, a few reviews I came across, mentioned the rumble was loud to justify the sport moniker.
https://Youtu.be/1B9VLDXwY9Q
Thanks Ragavsr, I think IS500F sport is scheduled for fall 2021 release. Also starting price would be $65k.
source: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...port-revealed/
CarBot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:31   #28
BHPian

A 1-2 year old CPO (certified pre-owned) BMW X3M40i or an SQ5 would be my first choices. You'll get them in your budget easily, and even though the roar of a V8 may be missing, the power and the smoothness of the german V6 are unmatched. The SUV shape will give you the luggage space you need.

If you really want comfort though (and reliability) go with the KIA Telluride. It's a great ride and comfortable and loaded with features. Their lane-keep assist is one of the best in the market. Why not take advantage of good roads with not driving . Good power in the V6 but nothing special. Unlimited amount of space but still small enough for your wife to drive.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:36   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Ragavsr, I think IS500F sport is scheduled for fall 2021 release. Also starting price would be $65k.
The regular IS500 (without the F Sport) is a better daily driver car and would actually buy one if I were to buy a car in the USA. The F Sport gets a lot of insulation and sound deadening removed as part of the sport package, but the upside is the V8 rumble will be louder.

Also, check out the Genesis line. They have a 5L naturally aspirated V8 on the G80 and G90 sedans and is likely to be VFM as well.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 18:44   #30
BHPian

After Ragavsr's brilliant suggestion (+ the track video) and knowing CarBot's deep fondness for V8s, I am going to revisit my suggestions and just stick to IS 500 F sport as my one and only suggestion. You can't go wrong with a Lexus. It is both fun and reliable. And IS chassis with that NA V8 is definitely going to offer more smiles per mile than an SUV with V8.

Quote:
Y Also starting price would be $65k.
I think in the link you quoted, they mention RC F is priced at $67k and IS 500 Fsport will be priced few thousands less than that. So it might still be possibly within your budget.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 14th June 2021 at 18:45.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks