Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car would you suggest?
XUV 300 69 30.94%
Sonet 26 11.66%
Venue 7 3.14%
Verna 26 11.66%
City 34 15.25%
Creta 23 10.31%
Seltos 23 10.31%
Any other(please specify, Ecosport and Nexon are excluded) 15 6.73%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2021, 20:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Which Diesel Manual car under 12 lakhs?

Voted for the 'Other' option. Since I saw sedans being considered on the list as well, I thought I would make a different suggestion.

I used to have a (MY) 2019 government-issued Ciaz. The car was the base spec model with a diesel hybrid engine. Even with the base spec, it was unbelievably loaded with features including projector headlamps, wood finish trim, auto engine start/stop, OEM sound system with tweeters, etc. The Ciaz is a LONG car and the cabin and boot were massive with extremely tasteful interiors. Don't think I need to say much about the legendary 1.3L fiat diesel that the car came with, although I believe now the car comes with a 1.5L diesel.

If you require a no-nonsense diesel car that gets the work done and comes at a value-for-money price, the Ciaz is probably the best bet. Needless to say, the new facelifted version is a stunner in certain colors and has a really good road presence!

I hope this helps in some way! Good luck with the car hunt!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 21:26   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
I believe now the car comes with a 1.5L diesel.
Ciaz is now offered only in Petrol guise and there is no diesel option at this time. Else even i have heard good things about the Ciaz though not from an enthusiast perspective but from a comfort and cruising ability.

To the OP, if the buyer is a first time car buyer, he certainly needs the ease of driving coupled with good and hassle-free service experience. Since he prefers a diesel manual, Hyundai diesel's have an effort less clutch travel and are easiest to manoeuvre around. So best bet would be to stick to their offerings. Verna seems like a good bet in the SX manual trim out of all the models on offer. If he is truly wanting only an SUV then certainly a Creta base model with some of the good and need to have accessories fitted at the dealer level would be a better bet than a CSUV which feels like a compromise in both Venue and Sonet in terms of space.

While the XUV300 is a good option as mentioned by few, it has minuscule boot space and the cabin somehow feels dated already even though its just few years old. In comparison, the Ecosport cabin, though quite an old one, feels contemporary without trying too hard. Different strokes for diff folks but that is what i felt.

All the best in your hunt and do keep us updated on what he finally decides to buy!

Last edited by abhinav.s : 18th May 2021 at 21:28.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 21:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramaniamj View Post

Nexon/XUV 300 would be amongst my choices in terms of space, ground clearance, and safety. It is really possible that you'll love either of these cars if you take a TD and quite possibly change your mind . Here is my summary.

If you're preferring safety, space and wish to compromise on the premium-ness - go for XUV 300.
I don't think I agree with the point that the XUV doesn't offer premium finish. The interiors and the fit and finish of the vehicle is top notch. It is a compromise on boot space but definitely not on premium interiors and features. The M&M badge may not command the premium feel yet, but with the XUV3OO, it is definitely up against some serious competition.

Last edited by Raghu M : 18th May 2021 at 21:34. Reason: new content
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:02   #34

I feel that the Mahindra Marazzo can be considered as a wildcard entry. It has the same 1.5 litre engine as the XUV300, but it can seat 7 in comfort. Even if a 7 seater isn't required, the last row can be folded down and used as a 5 seater with a humongous boot.

Based on TeamBHP reviews, it is said to have a great ride quality and a car-like driving experience. Though it is a MUV and not an SUV, it is a Body on Frame just like the traditional SUVs (More SUVish than the monocoque CSUVs mentioned).

And of course there's the big car status attached to 7 seaters. With low sales, it is possible to get good discounts and being a Mahindra, spares should be available for a long time.
Sabareesan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 00:27   #35
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subramaniamj View Post
I agree - I went with the global variant with the ANCAP rating, I should have made it explicit in my post. Per one review I read from a popular auto review magazine, the rating should be the same. Thanks for pointing this out.
This (Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue) may be a better resource when trying to speculate/assess the safety rating of the Indian Venue with respect to the International counterpart.

Also, would it be possible to name the popular auto review magazine or link the relevant article? I'm quite curious how they arrived at the conclusion, and would like to see their line of reasoning for the same, if possible.
rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 03:23   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for XUV300. The Korean twins aren’t really safe and unless a city beater is definitely recommend staying away from them.

On a side note, if he’s really not too fixated on a new car, do look at the SCross 1.6/1.3 and Vento1.6 and /or Vento/Rapid 1.5 diesel mills in the pre-owned market.
GreyNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 07:52   #37
BHPian

I would suggest Honda City/ WRV, based on budget and preference. For Honda’s quality and reliability, I myself own a Honda Amaze Diesel for the last 7 years, its an excellent engine with great pickup and fuel efficiency. I understand the engine is refined over time for WRV and City. The service experience and overall ownership has been satisfactory as well.
Have already suggested my friend a WRV Vx Diesel in same on road price bracket, when he wanted to change his 7 year old Duster. He is happy with what it offers, he appreciates the fit and finish, fuel efficiency and the excellent service commitment by Sundaram Honda (owned and operated by TVS Group).
architect_santo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
This (Understanding car platforms, starting with the Hyundai Venue) may be a better resource when trying to speculate/assess the safety rating of the Indian Venue with respect to the International counterpart.

Also, would it be possible to name the popular auto review magazine or link the relevant article? I'm quite curious how they arrived at the conclusion, and would like to see their line of reasoning for the same, if possible.
Sure thing - Please see the article here

What they mention is this: It should be noted that the ANCAP norms, like the Euro NCAP norms, are unlike the Global NCAP norms. For more details on why that is the case, click here. Taking this into consideration, the India-spec Hyundai Venue should at least manage to secure a similar 4-star rating on Global NCAP’s tests.

Last edited by subramaniamj : 19th May 2021 at 10:53. Reason: Added more details.
subramaniamj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:01   #39
BHPian

I was hesitating before posting, but I thought would add my 2 cents worth.
Having bought a XUV 300 recently, I would have said go with what most have said, as everyone knows the pros and cons of each.
However, from my own buying experience, I think it is a deeply personal choice, in spite of reading extensive reviews and TDs. Some would veer towards safety, and others toward looks. For me it was the engine which settled it. Often it is a battle between the mind and the heart, and perception and instinct play a large part.
In my own case, almost everybody advised me to not buy a Mahindra and go for a Kia or Hyundai, and it remains the only XUV 300 in the large carpark at the workplace.
I would say go with what you like, though it usually means shelling out a bit more than you wanted to.
Duckdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:50   #40
BHPian

My cousin picked up the XUV300 W8(O) diesel MT in August 2019. I've driven the car at length & travelled in long journeys too. (350-400 kms)

No other sub 4m competitor has the below combination:

1. Safest Indian made car (5 stars adult + 4 stars child)
2. Engine performance - 300 NM will make you smile!
3. Excellent ride comfort.
4. This car is very very comfortable & I simply cannot stress this enough!

The only way to experience its comfort is to go on a long drive. It has large seats & ample room for 5 adults. A smaller boot would be the only compromise which is pretty manageable. Service costs are very reasonable & light on the pocket.

The simple truth is, it's a chopped Tivoli which is an award winning car in many countries.
This is an easy choice for your cousin, Happy motoring!

Side note: for a diesel sedan, pick the Verna without any inhibition.
John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 21:55   #41
BHPian

Dilemma of a moderate budget

Greetings BHPians,

I have a dilemma to share with you all, do read and give your valuable suggestions.

A colleague/friend of mine has a rotational home/work policy wherein for 6-8 months a year, he is out of the country. However, he's a true roadie and an avid biker but is looking to upgrade to his first four wheeler prior to getting married. His girlfriend (also a driver) and him are at crossroads regarding the budget and what car to buy (on a lighter note, I'm wondering how many times I'll have to intervene when they marry ) and have asked me to suggest a car.

Twist 1: I have a Nexon and maybe biased in my suggestion. Although godstrewth, I did suggest a Kiger since it will be their first car and might be sparingly driven.

Twist 2: I bought a diesel even though I'm in the same ship (literally and metaphorically) as him with the intermittent driving pattern and sparing usage of the car. But then again, a good engine, safe car and love for the open roads overcome the usual logic of buying a diesel only if the running is high.

Twist 3: Above friend has driven with me from Jaipur to Delhi and I could see from his face how much he enjoyed the car. I'm pretty sure he is considering a Nexon only but I want to make sure we consider all options.

So my friends, I would love your suggestions and inputs based on the above twists and the following criteria (of sorts).

1. Budget <15 lakhs on road Gurgaon

2. Safety first (as the old oilfield saying goes)

3. Easy to drive in the city but a comfortable highway cruiser as well

4. Diesel since it's probably the last time we'll get to enjoy a diesel car

5. Automatic preferred, but manual can be considered

6. Features aren't that important. He's got enough gadgets so it would be a pleasant change not driving one.

7. In addition to the above point, bare minimums would be a good audio system, steering mounted controls, TPMS, fog lights and automatic climate control

8. No Marutis. Nothing against any car brand or owners but I don't have the courage to recommend a Maruti to anyone.

9. Easy to maintain (no or few after sales services horror stories please)

10. Long term reliability

My suggestions so far,

Tata Nexon (for obvious reasons)

Renault Kiger (yes I know it's a petrol but for a first car it won't be bad. Besides, I know he'll shoot down the suggestion (or me for suggesting it))

Kia Sonet (inspite of the less gadgetry clause, it's still a wonderful car to drive but concerns over safety persist)

Hyundai Venue (same as above)

VW Polo (that's a car everyone considers right?)

That's all I could think of for now, would love to hear from you all.

Mods: I tried to search the forum but the options are even more confusing since I'm looking across all segments.
Old 30th September 2021, 22:51   #42
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dilemma of a moderate budget

This thread was created by me sometime back-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...-12-lakhs.html (Which Diesel Manual car under 12 lakhs?)

The requirements of your friend is very similar to my cousin brother. While the decision at my brother's end is still pending, you might be able to gain some insights from the above thread.

My pick would be the Sonet followed by the XUV 300.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2021, 23:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Kia Sonet AT diesel ticks all your boxes except one important aspect, which is safety. The car is yet to be crash tested, but the writing is pretty much on the wall with even it's elder sibling Seltos faring poorly. You get a 1.5 L engine in the midst of the plethora of puny 1.0 litre turbo petrols that's flooded the market(thanks to stricter emission norms). It's a superb engine mated to an equally good AT box. It's a reliable car. The equipment list is long too.

Unfortunately, one has to make compromises since there is never a car out there that meets all our requirements. If safety is a priority, then XUV 300 is an option. The compromise is it has only AMT when it comes to automatic option. It's a brilliant car to drive though. Kiger CVT is another option but no diesel. You'll have to compromise one way or the other.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 30th September 2021 at 23:20.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 02:13   #44
BHPian

I’d avoid diesels since there’s a strong possibility the moronic ngt ban will become national law sooner or later covering all states, I’ve seen first hand pristine 10 year old diesels becoming inoperable here in Gurgaon. Also petrols will be smoother with lower NVH. Any reason you’re not considering used cars, since it’ll sit idle for 6-7 months in a year?

I don’t see Rapid/Vento on the list, you can get mid spec models under 15l in Mumbai. Same for City and Verna, reason I recommend these over Polo is he’s about to start a family and with a baby these compact sedans will have more rear space (for a child seat for eg.) than a hatchback. Stick to Honda/Toyota if you want absolute peace of mind on the long term maintenance front, although if your friend switches cars every 6-7 years then other makes will also do fine with extended warranty.

Auto climate control you’ll get in almost all of these cars as it’s quite basic, same for fog lights and steering mounted controls, TPMS will vary by make, some have it some don’t, good audio system forget it in any car under 60L (even then it’s not guaranteed), the only option here is an aftermarket upgrade if you’re serious about your music. Make sure your friend test drives everything on the list before deciding. Cheers

Last edited by AJ56 : 1st October 2021 at 02:15.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2021, 08:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zignor View Post
1. Budget <15 lakhs on road Gurgaon
2. Safety first (as the old oilfield saying goes)
3. Easy to drive in the city but a comfortable highway cruiser as well
4. Diesel since it's probably the last time we'll get to enjoy a diesel car
5. Automatic preferred, but manual can be considered
6. Features aren't that important. He's got enough gadgets so it would be a pleasant change not driving one.
7. In addition to the above point, bare minimums would be a good audio system, steering mounted controls, TPMS, fog lights and automatic climate control
8. No Marutis. Nothing against any car brand or owners but I don't have the courage to recommend a Maruti to anyone.
9. Easy to maintain (no or few after sales services horror stories please)
10. Long term reliability
First, I would like to draw your attention to the DPF issues being faced by BS6 diesel customers, in specific use cases and since you don't seem to have them I am assuming you're on a BS4 Nexon.
Have a look on the thread by LONG_TOURER (DPF issues in BS6-compliant cars at high altitude places like Ladakh, Zanskar and Spiti)

I would recommend to TD the modern turbo petrols too but of you still want the diesels here are my suggestions :

Requirements :
- 1 to 6 point to an XUV300 MT.
- 7 points towards the Nexon not sure about the TPMS but you can get it fitted after market, we've good threads on the topic.
- 8, 9, 10 depends and IMO point away from diesels in your irregular driving cycle primarily due to the DPF concerns.

The other cars like Sonet Diesel AT although highly recommend doesn't figure due to point 2.

In case you switch to petrols then other options open up too, I would suggest to TD both the petrols and diesel when you're at it.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks