Hyundai Venue 1.5 CRDI 9 4.29%
Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDI 57 27.14%
Others 33 15.71%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2021, 16:31   #31
BHPian

Re: Replacement for a 10-year old Maruti Swift

As it is already suggested by more than 50% of members, I too suggest you go with Ecosport. The engine is tried and tested and at no point, it feels underpowered. Fuel efficiency is as claimed by ARAI on highways, and 17-18 km/l in hills. Ride and handling are great on highways but at slow speeds on bad roads, you will feel some of the bumps majorly due to stiff suspension. Build quality is good and you will get a sense of safety inside the car. My vehicle was recently involved in an accident where the car went upside down, but occupants got away with minor scratches and that too because they weren't wearing seat belts (I wasn't inside).
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 16:33   #32
BHPian

Voted others because according to me the best overall package for manual diesel is Nexon. Package includes :-
Price
Driving dynamics
Features
Age of model
Safety
Service Network
Manufacturer stability
Tucker48 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 17:41   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Hi all!

My brother is planning to replace his 10 year old Swift VDI, which has run 1.6L Kms and will be exchanging his car with new one!

His budget for new car will be around ₹12L and cannot extend it beyond!

He is considering the Ford Ecosport TDCI as his next car, but, I’ve suggested him to have a look at Honda Amaze iDTEC for fuel efficiency as well as Venue/Sonet twins! But, the only grouse with the Amaze is low GC!

His monthly running is around 1500-2000 Kms and he travels mostly on highways and on rural roads, which consists of potholes!

And, his main requirements are good FE, low maintenance cost, good A.S.S, should be MT due to his heavy running on highways and he is open to petrol cars as well!
I was in exactly the same boat last year. 9 year old swift VDI needed replacement.

I went with the Ford Ecosport TDCI.

- Handling better than the competition (swift had spoilt me).
- Lesser servicing costs.
- Sturdy and Reliable Built.

Did not want a sedan, CSUV options that I had considered - Brezza, Venue and Nexon.

Brezza had the features only in the top end model where as the mid-variant was very bare basic. Also it had the same diesel engine from the swift and did not feel as an upgrade.

Venue was not even considered as the nearby SVC did not have a good reputation and I don't believe in pickup and drop service.

Nexon was dropped as the sales people were not very keen on selling the car. Waited for almost 1/2 hour for someone to attend and then next 1/2 for the test drive. Post which we were offered a Harrier test drive as Nexon was not available. Enjoyed the Harrier and left with a smile not to return for the next few years.

For now, I think you can consider the Venue(check with some acquaintance for the reputation of the nearby service station).
The Sonet is also a good choice but the waiting period is unusually long.

For me, its been 17 months and 9000 kms with the Ecosport and I am enjoying it without regrets.

Last edited by iamahunter : 8th May 2021 at 17:47.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 18:02   #34
BHPian

Since you have kept the car so long unless you want a Kia Sonet, I would ask you to wait for 1 more year and buy the next Brezza, as its most probably slated to release next year.

I have heard, that Maruti is focussing on safety as one of the key points of Focus for the next Brezza. They were able to deaign a 4star product with the Brezza on their 1st try and I think they've got the safety memo too, so they're not going to skimp on that for their nect Hero product.

The Kia sonet is not a very safe vehicle considering the compromises they have made in their structure esp. On the passenger side. But nothing can beat it on features.

If safety is a big factor in your purchase, and you need the car immediately I'd go for the Nexon under (~10lakh budget) since its a proven product.
ZenMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 18:15   #35
BHPian

May I also suggest you have a look at the XUV 300, the mid W6 variant will slot right into your budget, and it is built extremely well and is one of India's safest cars.

I believe it has one of the best engines of the lot and A.S.S shouldn't be a problem given its a Mahindra. Although your brother isn't into ATs, I believe the automatic variant isn't too far from your budget either. Still ill suggest you go for the manual if you pick this car.
armaan_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 19:59   #36
BHPian

Lets keep it simple, I voted for Sonet with a but.

All things are already mentioned above, so for a strictly 12 lakh budget (which even I did follow):-
1. Sonet=features
2. Seltos E= space.

Added benefit of Seltos is that it feels like a D segment sedan on arrow-straight roads and suspension is so tuned to avoid lateral movement of the car and occupants on undulating roads. This helps for fatigue free long drives.
Its best for all types of roads, be it pothole-ridden, unpaved or diversions. The upright seating position only helps prevent your back pain.
Seltos becomes jittery only on concrete roads constructed by some below average contractors.

For someone who keeps his car so long, the Seltos is ideal as its leagues ahead in NVH levels, high speed stability and has a big car feel. I am a happy owner of one after the Swift vdi.
In comparison the Sonet feels still a hatchback but is rich in features.
After all, its the feel that matters us.

Ford Ecosport has become old and the company has uncertain future in India.
H Karter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 01:53   #37
BHPian

Hi! Having owned a swift, am sure it would be hard to replace it's fun to drive characteristics and frugal engine.

To offer a different view here, since your brother is used to a hatchback, would ask him to consider the Polo GT-TSI or the Rapid TSI Onyx (AT). I know you said he prefers a manual due to highway drives, however the torque convertor mated to the superb TSI Engine would offer effortless driving pleasure coupled with eager overtaking prowess. Just my thought.

The ecopsport would still be his top pick i'm sure, and for good reason. However, with a budget of 12 lakhs you would only get the Titanium variant and even for that you would have to extend your budget by around 50k. With the future of Ford in India uncertain, it may not be the best buy especially as your brother likes to hold on to his cars for longer. The Onyx (AT) would be my pick of the lot for the mere fact that it's a lovely fun to drive low slung sedan offering all the bells and whistles (including carplay/android auto) which on last count the titanium variant in the Ecopsport does not offer. The presence of a genuine torque convertor automatic transmission only sweetens the deal.

If you are able to live with Skoda/Volkswagen's hit or miss ASS, you should definitely consider the same. Else the Ecopsport is surely a safe bet. Cheers!
tejascshetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 02:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

From the options listed I voted for the EcoSport. It is a good car that has stood the test of time and can be a reliable companion on the highways as well as roads filled with potholes. The car still looks fresh despite having been around for a while now. The ride quality can be a bit stiff though, but livable. As for maintenance, Ford EcoSport owners have been giving good reports so far in terms of ownership costs. However if your brother can wait for a year, newer options such as the next gen Brezza might be available for consideration.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 05:50   #39
BHPian

Since highway running is more and GC is factor, I would suggest Compact SUVs as against Sedans:

1. Vitarra Brezza Petrol MT - Proven product, extremely frugal 1.4 engine, competent mileage, good resale value and solid ASS.
2. Hyundai Venue Diesel MT - Better Interiors, Refreshed Product but Bland 1.4 CRDi engine.
3. Kia Sonet Diesel AT - I would prefer the Diesel TC AT version since its fun to drive, but has niggles (check social media forums from real users)
4. Ertiga/XL6 if you need more seats - Extremely VFM, solid ASS, proven product.

Out of the above 4, if you want a no-nonsense car, I would pick the Brezza MT any day.
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 08:51   #40
BHPian

Voted for others - get a test drive on the Altroz diesel. Considering he'll be doing lots of highway runs, safety should be the top most selection criteria. It's styling is good enough, feature loaded and the diesel engine is good enough on performance and fuel efficiency. Regarding hassle free service, that is a gamble he'll have to take.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 09:13   #41
BHPian

I actually replaced my swift with a Nexon and been very happy. The Highway manners are good as is the fuel economy.
wittycat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 12:31   #42
BHPian

I would ask you to test drive the Ford Ecosport TDCI and Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDI back to back and then take a call.

The Hyundai Venue 1.5 CRDI fades in comparison to its sibling the Kia Sonet 1.5 CRDI. The Kia feels premium all around and is well-kitted too. Also, most people find the Sonet's looks less polarizing. Therefore, excluding the Hyundai altogether here.

The Ford Ecosport TDCI should be your top choice here. Coming from a high FTD car like the Swift, you will often find the Ford being on par with or second only to the Germans when it comes to handling and high-speed manners. The Ford Ecosport is a tried and tested product with great ground clearance to handle bad roads. The Sonet is not too far behind though, has a softer suspension setup, and is a recent launch. You cannot go wrong with either. All the best!
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 14:10   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Kia Sonet solely becuase the Ecosport, although a very competent car, is 8 years old in our market. It does not have a Diesel Auto option and only has a 5-speed in the manual. The Sonet on the other hand, has a much more modern cabin. The recently launched HTX Diesel Auto may be a bit of a stretch from a price perceptive, but has a nice set of options including a sunroof, a proper diesel auto powertrain, wireless Android Auto/Apple Car Play and many other features and comforts.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 14:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

A monthly running of 1500-2000km on highways means BS6 diesel cars can be kept in consideration (low running BS6 diesel cars are in some cases causing DPF clogging and check engine light errors).

I have Voted for Ford EcoSport out of this list. Kia Sonet is a very close second or almost at par with EcoSport but it sure can not compete with EcoSport wrt build quality of body at equal level. Ford is said to have one of the lowest service cost too.

As far as Amaze is concerned, its a great car but high GC of crossovers offer considerable advantages over pot holes and speed breakers. New gen amaze is a mini Honda City rather than larger Brio.

If I were to make this decision, I’d also keep Suzuki S-Cross 1.5 Zeta in the shortlist by the way. It offers good GC, space and decent boot space. It has all must have features including all 4 disc brakes, Cruise control, Android auto, Apple CarPlay etc. Being a petrol, it can be modded to LPG/CNG in future. Highway FE ranges from 17-20 or even 22kmpl depending upon traffic, cruise control and AC usage.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 01:10   #45
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Sonet! It is one of the latest, has good looks, good drivability and great features to choose from!

Would have voted for Ecosport, but as most fellow Bhpians have already pointed out its been there for sometime now and considering you are looking for a replacement for Swift, it is good to have something which is new in the market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks