Renault Kiger 212 58.40%
Voters: 363. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2021, 07:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger

Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiaglc-1.jpg

The Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger are almost the same car under the skin. They share the same CMF-A+ platform and 1.0L NA / turbo-petrol engines and manual / CVT transmissions. But, the Kiger came 4 months after the Magnite and has some improvements over the Nissan. The Japanese car is a couple of thousand bucks more expensive as well.

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-magnite-v-kiger.png

Nissan Magnite

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-mag-front.jpg

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-mag-rear.jpg

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-mag-side.jpg

Straight-forward & user-friendly:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-mag-dash.jpg

The Magnite's instrument cluster displays a TPMS, which is not present in the Kiger:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-magnite-tpms.jpg

The list of safety features in the Magnite is longer than the Kiger's. Features such as ESP, traction control and hill-start assist are available in the Nissan, but not in the Renault. On the flip side, the Kiger gets 4 airbags against the Magnite's 2 and front parking sensors (as an added accessory). The Kiger hasn't been crash-tested yet, but the Nissan Magnite scored a 4-star rating in the ASEAN NCAP crash tests (the Renault should perform similarly):
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-magnite-tc.jpg

The Magnite gets a 6-speaker (4 speakers + 2 tweeters) JBL sound system, while the Kiger has an 8-speaker (4 speakers + 4 tweeters) Arkamys one. The Magnite's touchscreen head-unit features "Driving Eco", which gives you a score based on how efficient your driving style is, and also individual star ratings for acceleration, gear shifting and anticipation (braking). It also displays a trip report giving the total distance, time taken, average fuel consumption, average speed and uniquely, the distance traveled without any fuel consumption. The Magnite comes with connected car tech. Owners can download the NissanConnect app with 50 features and smartwatch connectivity. Additionally, the Magnite gets a 360 degree parking view:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-magnite-hu.jpg

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-mag-int.jpg

Link to Review

Renault Kiger

While looks are subjective, the Renault is a more handsome vehicle to look at:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-front.jpg

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-rear.jpg

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-side.jpg

On the inside, the Kiger gets a dual-tone dashboard against the Magnite's all-black unit:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-dash.jpg

It has higher storage capacity including two gloveboxes and greater luggage carrying capacity (405L / 879L vs 336L / 690L):
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-glovebox.jpg

While the Kiger does not get Driving Eco, connected car tech or TPMS, it comes with a 7-inch instrument cluster that displays different information in the different drive modes eg. Sport mode includes HP and Nm gauges along with a G-Force meter:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-hp.jpg

The Kiger's climate control system gets an inbuilt PM 2.5 air filter, which doesn't come in the Magnite:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-ac.jpg

Coming to the engine and transmission options available, the Kiger NA petrol is available with an AMT, which the Magnite doesn't get. This makes even the entry-level Kiger an option for those looking to buy an automatic car. Further, the Kiger gets 3 driving modes - Normal, Eco and Sport, which are not available in the Magnite. These modes alter the throttle response and steering weight:
Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-modes.jpg

Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger-kiger-int.jpg

Link to Driving Report

Neither Renault nor Nissan is a champion of after-sales service, but the former's dealers are generally better than the latter's.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2021 at 16:53.
Aditya is online now   (39) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sibling Rivalry | Nissan Magnite vs Renault Kiger

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

An inevitable question for many in the segment. I have voted for the Kiger because it looks better (although Magnite looks good too), I like the Renault's interior design more and I hate all the Nissan dealers in Bombay. Wishlist = Kiger should get the ESP too.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2021 at 17:24.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:35   #3
BANNED

Voted Kiger, solely due to the fact that the 1.0 naturally aspirated engine is available with an AMT on the Kiger (and triber), but not the Magnite.
Now, given a choice between Kiger AMT and Triber AMT, thats some food for thought.

And I personally wouldn't spend over 8 lakhs on-road for either of them. So there go the Turbo-petrols.
turbo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:46   #4
BHPian

Voted for Magnite because I like the colour options better and also find the styling more appealing. The Magnite also has better equipped lower variants (even the base model gets 4 power windows, adjustable headrests and rear wiper).

While Renault is undoubtedly a more popular brand and has a wider dealer network, for me, both the brands are equally (un)trustworthy in terms of after sales service.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is difficult. Biggest drawback for Kiger is it looks similar to cheaper Kwid and even now, from a distance I am unable to differentiate between two. Rear though looks classy. Dealership experience should be better with Renault I guess(Though I didn't like them personally). Given that Magnite is tested for safety and got healthy 4 stars, as of today will pick the Magnite.
PrideRed is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:47   #6
BHPian

Voted for Magnite. The fact that you get additional active safety features on the Magnite tilts the scales in it's favour. Renault restricting the selt belt pre-tensioners to just the driver makes it a no-go in my books (even in the top end...not sure which genius came up with this penny pinching scheme).

The only thing that I would actually miss from the Kiger is the TFT display which seems like a much better implementation that the Toonami version on the Magnite.

Also, Magnite has done justice to it's lower variants. You get a lot of kit (rear wiper, rear adjustable headrest etc.) that other manufacturers leave out. How in the world is rear adjustable headrest considered optional in 2021 is something I will never understand.

Even Magnite's design is actually pretty good in my opinion. Slap a few strips of carbon fibre decal to hide most of the chrome and keep any visual mods subtle (taking inspiration from the Nismo concept) and it suddenly becomes quite good.

Renault on the other hand seems over done to me personally (though I do love the tail lights).
JithinR is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Magnite purely based on the front looks. In my books, the Kiger bears too much resemblance to the Kwid while the Magnite for a very few reminds of the 1st gen creta. Coming to the interiors, the Kiger looks better compared to the Magnite. I guess as far service centers / networks / sales go both are almost same.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:46   #8
BHPian

Voted for Magnite. Still can't stand the split headlamp design language on Kiger which is coming on more and more cars now a days. I thought it might grow on me but it will take a while I guess. Maybe, I'm old school.
Old 29th April 2021, 10:19   #9
BHPian

I would prefer the Magnite over Kiger due to 360° Camera and LED Projector Headlamps. The sole reason to prefer Kiger over Magnite would be interiors which i feel can be compromised for those two features.
Phukan23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:28   #10
BHPian

Voted for Kiger. My reasons are below
  • Renault has more service touch points compared to Nissan. Also 85 new showrooms to be opened all over India soon.
  • Interiors in Kiger are a lot better compared to Magnite.
  • Magnite grill looks odd.
  • Better resale value compared to Nissan.
  • Kiger looks like a blown up Kwid, looks are familiar with masses.
  • No connected technology. Trust me this is a positive point.
  • More transmission options.
  • 3 driving modes.
  • MID in Magnite is a joke. The graphics look like some kid designed it on his Windows 98 PC.
  • PM 2.5 air filter is a welcome addition in today's condition.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 10:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Magnite. It looks way better IMO, while the Kiger looks like a Kwid dolled up with a lot of after-market goodies. But prefer the interiors of the Kiger.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2021 at 07:27. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th April 2021, 11:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Voted for the Magnite.

I like the exterior looks of the Nissan better, and it also packs a few more creature comforts. Even safety features like ESP, Hill hold add more value. Only chink in armour is the cartoonish MID of the Magnite. Kiger does a lot better here.

Last edited by 07CR : 29th April 2021 at 11:34.
Old 29th April 2021, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Kiger looks better than the Magnite, and does a few key things better like boot space, interior look and feel, more airbags (barring EPS and TPMS, which in my view are nice to haves for this class of car).

Open question- how well put together are both cars? Renaults seem better, going purely by the Duster's ride and build. Unsure if that has trickled down to the Kiger.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Kiger anyday

Because

1. You get 4 airbags
2. Driving modes - it works!
3. Looks better to me
4. Can put up with Renault A.S.S much easier than Nissan A.S.S
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 11:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Magnite

It has more road presence and the interior is better put together.

My pick will be CVT top trim.
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks