Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 08:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Zero compromise ingress / egress car for Mom & Dad

Wishing your Father a quick recovery.
Apart from the Car options mentioned by other members, do explore the feasibility of installing an easy ingress system like Turnplus

Also featured in this thread in Team-Bhp
Turnplus-car-seat-allows-easy-ingress-egress (TurnPlus: A car seat that allows easy ingress & egress for the disabled)

This will make it far easier to get into the car without stepping in.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 13:07   #17
BHPian

Wishing a Speedy recovery for your father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
WagonR or Ignis are the best, man. If former, go for the 1.2L so you can also enjoy it from time to time. Both are available with an AMT if your Mom so prefers.
As i mentioned in another tread, along with the above mentioned 2, please do look at the Celerio as well. Have one in my home, parents are finding it super convenient. Plus if you observe I do see lot of seniors driving it, specifically the AMT one.
Arun_S is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 22:33   #18
BHPian

Wishing your Dad a very speedy recovery bro!

As much as I dislike Maruti for providing tin cans & unsafe cars, it is hard to beat the practicality and comfort of XL6. The seat cushioning is on the softer side and the seat height while standing is very optimum.

Although, I haven't sat in Nexon, but I reckon it too would make a good choice considering how nicely bolstered the TATA car seats are and a very compliant suspension.
sidharthg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 22:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Wishing your father a very speedy recovery!

In the new car options, I'd give the S Cross a good look, and along with it the Ertiga.
I found them to be the perfect height for all ages, compared to peers like the Creta.

In the preowned segment, look around for a Honda CRV.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 00:04   #20

Wishing your father a quick recovery, IshaanIan.

Since you are open to pre-owned segment, I'd recommend having a look at the Honda BR-V. It's essentially a beefed-up Mobilio, with a taller ride height, hence even better ingress and egress. Now, I know the car is now discontinued but knowing Honda, the parts availability shouldn't be a problem (I have a '12 Brio - parts for which are readily available) and the 1.5 iVTEC engine did duty in the 4th Gen City till 2020, so I guess you are sorted on that front too.

I am rather surprised why other BHPians haven't recommended the BR-V; probably because like the Indian car market, even we forgot about this car? Anyway, the BR-V seems like a good shout, considering the fact that others have recommended the XL-6 and the Ertiga. Another thing, if your mom would like to drive the car herself, I would suggest looking around for the V-CVT variant of the BR-V, she would appreciate that smooth engine-gearbox combo too!

Quoting from the official Team-BHP review:

Quote:
The BR-V has a huge rear door which opens via a dual-stage action. Along with the height of the car & wide gap between the B-pillar & rear seat, it makes ingress and egress easy. When you want to get out, place your feet on the ground and you barely have to stand up by a few inches. The elderly will appreciate this.
MoTo_meister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 00:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Oh man, nothing quite like the WagonR for sheer ease of ingress and egress.
Quote:
WagonR or Ignis are the best, man. If former, go for the 1.2L so you can also enjoy it from time to time. Both are available with an AMT if your Mom so prefers.
Years ago, I had brought home a colleagues WagonR for a month since he was not in town. My senior citizen parents found that so comfortable to get in and out. They were all praise for it and felt so comfortable.

This was on the old version and a manual one. I am sure it would have only improved from there and with AMT, its an added convenience.

Please do not miss checking out WagonR. I strongly believe it would be super convenient.
rubicon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 00:22   #22
BHPian

I would suggest consider buying an automatic and go ahead with Honda Jazz CVT. Safe and has sufficient ground clearance. My next option would be Wagon R AMT if your mom is not comfortable driving bigger hatchbacks. Dont even bother to buy a manual for your parents especially after your Dad's recovery from stroke.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 02:16   #23
BHPian

First of all, wishing your dad Good Wishes for speedy recovery. My prayers are with him.

Now when it comes to car, I believe, Wagon R is best option in entry level segment. If you move to higher segment, you can choose from Nissan Magnite and Tata Nexon. Even Maruti Ertiga/XL6 can be a good option. I know some people who own these cars and had similar criteria as you and your parents during car buying process and they’re totally satisfied with their cars.

Good Luck

Mod Note: Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd April 2021 at 15:52.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 03:42   #24
BHPian

Wishing your dad a speedy recovery!

The Ignus and WagonR seem to be your best bet. Given the fact your mom is familiar to cars of that dimensions.

Very few cars come close to the zero compromise ingress/egress and ease-of-use factor that our old WagonR's offered. My dad still retains his Dec 04' WagonR and loves it to bits, I do too!

However, if I may suggest, try getting home test drive/rentals of the cars you consider to let your family have a first hand feel of the car. That would be a better approach.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 05:05   #25
BANNED

Thankyou all for the best wishes and suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
That said, out of the ones you mentioned, since waist level is the requirement, the S Cross makes most sense. And if your father is around 5'10-6'00", then look for Ertiga or XL6.

S-Cross has a wider door sill, the seats of Ertiga are further closer to the edge.
Thanks for the detailed breakup on the differences between the two. Dad is average height; 5'8" but coming from the WagonR the new car cannot be less roomy or less easy to get into. Shall definitely check out the S-Cross but not too keen on the Ertiga as a 7 seater is absolutely not required and would be a bit too long for mom to navigate through traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Would suggest the ecosport. My dad's had a operation of his back, wherein he's not allowed to bend when he is sitting in cars. The knees too require as little bending as possible. The high seats and low sill plates of Ecosport make it very easy for him to just glide in and out. (PS- He's 6 feet tall)
Never considered compact SUVs like the Ecosport since I thought the floor might be too high given their ground clearance requirements but your post sounds reassuring shall definitely give the Ecosport and the rest of the crowd a look.

Quote:
I see most recommending either of the two. Infact the first 3 cars that come to my mind are the new WagonR, the Ignis and the Ritz. Which would you suppose is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Apart from the Car options mentioned by other members, do explore the feasibility of installing an easy ingress system like Turnplus

Also featured in this thread in Team-Bhp
Turnplus-car-seat-allows-easy-ingress-egress (TurnPlus: A car seat that allows easy ingress & egress for the disabled)

This will make it far easier to get into the car without stepping in.
Thankyou so much this would be epic shall definitely try finding out more about this option and the quality of the work. Seems like a no-brainer to have it installed in the WagonR once it is restored as well as whatever new car we decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In the new car options, I'd give the S Cross a good look, and along with it the Ertiga.

In the preowned segment, look around for a Honda CRV.
The CRV sounds interesting is it not much of a step-up to get into the cabin? I'd imagine an X-Trail or Outlander might be similar as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
Since you are open to pre-owned segment, I'd recommend having a look at the Honda BR-V.

I am rather surprised why other BHPians haven't recommended the BR-V; probably because like the Indian car market, even we forgot about this car?
The BR-V is indeed a brilliant car had the chance to use all of its 7 seats once after a night of bar hopping in Bangalore with friends. It was an UBER and I was blown away by the ride quality and composure of the car but simply cannot justify having mom drive a 7 seater to and from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Except safety/need for change any reason for not considering the current wagon r ?
Nope just those two reasons. Besides, I will be having our current 2004 WagonR restored soon so it will always be there with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
You haven't mentioned your budget and have mentioned cars in a slightly wide price range. Deciding the budget would be a good idea to help narrow down your list.
Oops sorry budget would be 20lacs with the more premium cars having to be second hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
Very few cars come close to the zero compromise ingress/egress and ease-of-use factor that our old WagonR's offered. My dad still retains his Dec 04' WagonR and loves it to bits, I do too!
That's great to hear even ours is a 2004 model and we love it as well that's why it is going to be restored soon.

Do keep the suggestions pouring in I shall try my best to sample as many cars as I believe are fit to the task and update this thread on their ingress/egress specs
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 07:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wishing your dad a speedy recovery.
Coming back to your query, I own an Scross 1.6. Back in 2015-2016 I was scouting for an upgrade from then owned Swift. I had zeroed in on Safari Storme, Scorpio, Breeza and XUV, Scross wasn't even considered anywhere. Sedans were out of question since I wanted something with good GC.
The reason why I bought the Scross was not only because of the engine but also for the convenience that it provided especially to my parents who were both over 70s. My dad had undergone knee replacement surgeries for both his legs which means it would be difficult for him to get in and out in an SUV or a Sedan.
Both my parents especially my dad are extremely happy with the car.
In your case I would suggest either the Scross, Wagon R or the Ignis.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 2nd April 2021 at 07:12.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:07   #27
KPR
BANNED

We've elders in home aged 80+ and are happy with Wagon R. Here are my views based on MS. There are 3 cars that may work in elder favour.

1. Wagon R
2. Ignis
3. S cross

2 and 3 have bit stiff suspension setup. So what may work in elder favour is 1 Wagon R. But coming to premium feel SCross is excellent. It has better safety, nil body roll, excellent rear comfort for long drives too. If the car is strict within city limits then wagon r is clear choice. If mix of both city and long drives S Cross then.

Last edited by KPR : 2nd April 2021 at 08:09.
KPR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 09:36   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Do check out the Nexon. It is the closest to the requirements.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 10:00   #29
BHPian

You really should go out and check out all the cars personally instead of relying on answers here. I don't think anybody here can really advise you about the right car since you have extremely specific needs whose judge can only be you and your parents. If talking comfort, there's no one size fits all formula. It is highly subjective. For e.g narrow and tighter seats would be better for people with thin frames as they might offer better support but wider frames might not appreciate them and may feel they are cramped.

Also most showrooms these days offer test drives at home which I feel you should avail and let your parents decide about the car they feel most safe and comfortable in. It's better that way since they are the ones who are going to use the car anyways
sodapop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
....My father had suffered from a brain stroke back in 2018. Doctors were certain he wouldn't make it however by god's grace he is with us. He has battled out of coma, gained speech and memory back and is slowly battling paralysis of his entire right side with loads of physiotherapy.....
Wishing your father a speedy recovery. Our best wishes and prayers are with you and your family.

My mother suffered from severe arthritis for 20 years and multiple hip and arm fractures so I definitely know what "ease of ingress/egress" means for folks with limited mobility. My mom was always comfortable getting in/out of our Jazz or DZire or Celerio rather than our other cars - Zest, Manza or Nexon. Of course, once in, she found them comfortable too. She was 5 ft 4 inches and I think body height of our parents matter too in such scenarios.

I would recommend Wagon-R, Celerio, Ignis, Grand i10 NIOS, Jazz. No harm in checking out Tiago and Altroz too. Automatic versions for all these cars are available.

Good luck!

Last edited by sam264_2000 : 2nd April 2021 at 11:01. Reason: Grammatical correction
sam264_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks