Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2021, 20:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Which chauffeur-driven beater car for 6 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Brand New WagonR 1.2L.
- Used Corolla.
- A used Maruti like the Ertiga (top choice) or S-Cross.
- A used Honda WR-V.
Thank you, GTO!
Never seriously considered the new Wagon R until reading your post. Adding it to the top of the list.
Always loved the Corolla (had a soft corner for it and the Civic as a kid).
Thanks for bringing in great options into consideration, with the Ertiga, S-Cross, and the WR-V! Adding them to the list. These appear to be very practical choices which I never considered. Thanks a ton!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Wagon R is the true workhorse, you can literally move a household intercity.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Wagon-R! Definitely considering it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Used grand i10 (Automatic)
Very easily drivable car within city. So, if in case, you or better-half take driver's seat, you \she will start loving the ease of driving.
Main point, Your parents can get back side AC and features loaded car with decent power. Parents might also appreciate plushness and luxury feel when they sit in car.
Thank you for your great points about the i10! I find quite a number of used i10s in the price range. Definitely another contender added to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
If you can find a decent Honda Jazz CVT then please pick it up. The Honda Jazz has easy ingress & egress.
Thanks for the great points about the Jazz. Explored it after you mentioned it and it too has a lot going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
If I were you I'd go for a new Wagon R as choice number 1 and a pre-owned Ertiga as choice number two. In my circle of relatives I have observed older folks getting in and out of these two with maximum comfort and least struggle. Also both are high on practicality, space, carrying tall items etc.
Thanks for sharing your valuable and practical experience! Will definitely consider these two at the top of the list. Great points from the perspective of usage by my parents. Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
1. SX4 ZXi Automatic
2. Honda Jazz CVT
Thank you! After your post, I read more about these two cars and appear to be good options to consider. Many thanks! Adding them to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
+1
We have two 2009 Altis VL AT in the family.
Always loved the Corolla. Definitely adding to the consideration list while searching. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
your requirements have S-Presso written all over it.
Steer away from the Kwid AMT even in the 1.0 avatar, IMO.
Thank you! Adding the S-Presso to the consideration list, and striking off the Kwid from the list. Thanks for sharing your personal experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S15 View Post
A slightly different take, but pass on the Honda City to them, and buy something newer for yourself.
Thank you. I thought of this option initially, but, with a current budget of about 6 lakhs, it appears quite hard to find a car that appeals as an upgrade to my current third generation City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Any reason why the Ignis is not being considered? A 20-30k discount is generally always available. The core of the car can't be changed.
This is the kind of knowledge that's hard to find elsewhere. Thanks for sharing this. Adding the Ignis to the consideration list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
1) avoid low slung cars like the Civic.
2) avoid that tempting Laura unless it's really in great nick and you are tempted to use it as a daily & give the chauffeur your City.
3) The Corolla which is really a great option!
The previous generation is equally reliable & comfortable.
The only con is fuel economy of the petrol AT which is dismal! Look for the unpopular diesel variant, or petrol manual which may do slightly better.
4) GTO & Researcher have suggested some great options like the Jazz (dismal resale in your favour), S-Cross, Ertiga.
Our 2016 S-Cross has also seen multiple chauffeurs behind the wheel for 80% of it's odo (60K Km).
5) Abuse friendly Etios & Mobilio, new WagonR
Thanks for the wonderful and practical advice! Striking off the Civic and Laura. Thanks for the word of caution about the Corolla. Added the S-Cross and Ertiga. Adding the Etios and Mobilio to the list. Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Wagon R in its CNG avatar. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a CNG + AMT variant, if that's important for you.
Thank you. Yes, I have almost my entire driving experience on the AT, and would prefer the beater to at least have some form of automatic transmission for situations where I need to drive the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
A Jazz CVT would be perfectly seamless transition for you whenever you feel like driving the beater car.
Thanks for reinforcing my belief in the Jazz with your practical experiences. Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimishlalwani View Post
A used Ertiga suits your bill.
Thanks for sharing additional benefits of the Ertiga.
After reading all the posts, the Ertiga definitely looks appealing.

Thanks a ton, everyone, for taking the time to share your experiences and your advice. It was really a wealth of knowledge to absorb.
Really appreciate the fantastic advice that all of you have given! Ever thankful to all of you!

Last edited by FlashMustang : 30th March 2021 at 20:58.
FlashMustang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 21:10   #17
BHPian

With that kind of budget, I'd not be looking at used cars to be honest. My suggestion would be to go for a safer bet and I'd request you to consider the Tata Tigor Petrol XMA variant (rated 4 star in NCAP ratings). Considering that this is going to be a beater car that your loved ones would be travelling in, safety should be paramount, mileage can come later. Plus the boot can be loaded with the luggage on long travels and cabin could be left for the passengers to sit comfortably. The reason I advised going against a used car is also the same, you'd not want your loved ones to be stuck on the roadside in case the used car develops a snag. The ride quality of Tigor is plush and it has ample legroom for the rear passengers.

You can take a test drive when you get time and then compare with the suggestions provided by the esteemed BHP'ians here, and then choose your pick.

Safe travels!
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 00:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice of you to get them a car for their travels with a chauffer.

The options are plenty from both new as well as used. But to make things simple, since you said you need to accommodate a walker, the Ertiga might be the best choice with the third row folded down. Can also serve you on your outstation trips. Being from Maruti the coverage and parts for service will never be an issue.

Check out this review from a Bhpian who went with an auto Ertiga.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...automatic.html (My Maruti Ertiga Automatic)
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:18   #19
BHPian

Would suggest slightly different model here.

After using Honda for 8+ years, neither you nor family would like Maruti comfort and interiors(no offense maruti owners, it is for comparision)

I would suggest to buy honda amaze diesel base variant MT, as its mostly chauffer driven.

Advantages:
-Excellent mileage, expect 20+ in any circumstances and sometimes 25 if your chauffer is a sedate driver.
-Excellent comfort even on bad roads. Upgrade the tyres to 195 profile to increase the sidewall and GC as well. It also gives more grip. This could reduce the mileage very slightly
-Decent interior quality
-Assumed better safety than Maruti and Hyundai
-Honda reliability and trust
-Good boot space

After some years if you decide to upgrade your honda city, still you would have a good honda car in your garage as a beater.

Last edited by tirumalavoleti : 31st March 2021 at 10:28. Reason: added clause
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:43   #20
BHPian

A lot had been said already but my two cents
1. Since your primary use is in the city, a compact WagonR fits the bill better than a larger car. You already have the City for your out of town trips.
2. If running cost needs to come down, why not check out the CNG version in the WagonR? Will turn out to be more cost effective
3. WagonR is walk in and walk out car. Something that your parents will truly like
4. It’s a Maruti with good resale value. If you ever feel tempted to move on with a new car, this will give you some money back
5. Might be a small stretch over your budget right now but will turn out to be a good choice after all
roadrunner_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:07   #21
BHPian

Look for a less used 2018 or 19 diesel Etios or Amaze. Both cars have a comfortable rear seat and are safe as well. The lower running costs will be an added bonus. From the new car options my pick will be Ignis.
Aakash118 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:32   #22
BHPian

Quite a few good suggestions till now. Taking a different approach to this and listing by manufacturer since fuss-free ownership is an important criteria for you. Wile huge legroom isn't a requirement of yours, other comfort-related factors that would be important for elderly would be easy ingress/egress and good ride quality.

Marutis
  • A new Wagon-R as many have suggested. Fuss-free workhorse with good ingress/egress but ride may not be so comfortable
  • used Ertiga. great ingress/egress and
  • used Ciaz. maybe 1L above your budget but very comfortable.
Toyotas
  • used Corolla. relatively tall seating and reliable workshorse.
  • a Yaris is also a good option but may not get in your budget
Hondas
  • Jazz/WRV both would be great. Decent comfort, more modern than a Corolla and again, fuss-free.
  • Amaze is another nice candidate if a sedan has more status / feel-good factor for your parents.
  • Advantage with Hondas is their smooth CVTs + familiarity with brand/service centre
Hyundais
  • The entire brand seems built for your use case. i10, i20, Verna, Venue, can't go wrong with any of them.
Avoid the German brands since reliability and headache-free experience is a requirement
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:48   #23
BHPian

We had a WagonR in the household before we switched to Ignis. While the latter seems superior in many ways, it is no WagonR when it comes to ingress and egress. My dad, in his early 60s, still cribs every time he has to step inside the Ignis. And, mind you, Ignis has a tallboy-ish stance. That's how much the WagonR has spoilt him! Not to mention, the rear seats aren't as comfortable as the WagonR's.

From parents' point-of-view, I'd recommend the WagonR over the Ignis any day. And, since it will be chauffeur-driven, you don't have to worry much about the abuse and stuff. This is a no non-sense car you can't go wrong with.

Or else, get them an Ertiga and they will be the happiest. Again, speaking out of experience. A comparatively safer car if in case they'd have to travel out of the city. It could be a full-family highway car too and a good alternative to your City if needbe

Last edited by satrikon_454 : 31st March 2021 at 11:51.
satrikon_454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 12:39   #24
BHPian

As a senior citizen, I would suggest the Wagon R 1.2 AMT because:

1. With wide opening doors and high seating, it is easier to get in and out.
2. As a city runabout, it has sufficient space for people and luggage (walker + groceries etc.)
3. The engine is great to drive on occasions you want to use it yourself.

If you are opting for pre-owned, the Honda Jazz CVT is the best option, with the Ignis as a second choice.
Iksvaku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 13:05   #25
BHPian

I would pick a conventional TC or a CVT if used by drivers and definitely not a DSG.

Within your budget, my top used car picks would be

1. Honda City CVT (again)
2. Honda Jazz CVT
3. Toyota Corolla AT
4. Maruti Baleno/Brezza CVT
5. Honda Amaze CVT

In new cars, you can look at

1. WagonR for easy ingress/egress
2. Hyundai Grandi10
CountMe91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 13:26   #26
BHPian

That is some homework!

I wouldn’t dare question your choices considering the effort you’ve put in those spreadsheets. Although going from that may I suggest the EcoSport pre-owned, the one you have has covered 70,000 kms but if you could find a less used EcoSport or a Jazz/WR-V. The only reason is the high seating position which would give your parents easy egress/ingress.

From the new options, I would suggest Santro AMT or a Wagon-R. I wouldn’t suggest you the Ignis as the suspension is on the stiffer side and going over the potholes is troublesome for the elderly.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Mat095 : 31st March 2021 at 13:34.
Mat095 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:11   #27
BHPian

I’d say the Ertiga Petrol automatic is an excellent option if you can find something with low mileage on it. True Value and First Choice give you a lot of peace of mind while buying used Marutis, even though you may have to shell out a bit more than the open market.

You could also consider the Renault Triber. I know it’s an AMT but as someone who lived with a first generation Celerio for 6 years, I can tell you that it’s not as bad as it’s cracked up to be and, since you won’t be driving it in city yourself, is considerably less of a pain on highway since you’re cruising. Also today’s AMTs are quite a bit better.

WagonR is a superb choice for elderly people because ingress and egress is very easy and the tall seating makes it very comfy. The 1.2 is a great engine too.

You could also look around for a used Ciaz if possible. Phenomenal space and leg room and the same reliable Ertiga/SCross petrol engines in a different package.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Why not a New or Used Renault Triber AMT? Humongous boot space with the rear seats removed, tall seats and adjustable seats in the first and second rows and AMT variants are available in all but the base models. The engine is good enough for the city usage, in fact I find it adequate even for my use here in the hilly terrain of Manali. It's no pocket rocket, but does the job!

The second from base model can be bought within your budget I presume. As a user of Triber for over 17 months now, I would recommend it for city and highway usage and as a beater car anyday for any practical purposes.

The seats are sufficiently in height for the elderly, my parents who are in their late 60s and have Osteoarthritis Knees sit and disembark easily from my car when we're travelling together. My father was even brave enough to sit in the last row with my 4 year old son, as he was forced by his grandson to come and sit with him.

But a Triber without the 3rd row of seats is a cheap and practical car which will serve all and any purpose you throw at it.

Having owned an older generation WagonR for over 11 years, I'll say that it doesn't age that we'll. The engine and gearbox is good, but we weren't very happy with the car overall.

A used old gen Ertiga VXi AT may serve your purpose as well. That was a good car with a good engine and Maruti's reliability and quality.

MPVs are usually the best for people who have to carry Walkers, Wheelchairs etc. as they can be used as 5 seaters with a good big boot. Try finding used Mobilios, B-RVs etc.

All the very best for your search!
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:13   #29
BHPian

Greetings,
Excellent writeup and extensive homework done by you.
Kudos.
Wish our indian car manufacturers put as much thought into the models before they launch!
Is there a specific reason you skipped on Ignis? The budget may be 50k more but it's a great machine and comes with fuss-free ownership experience.
Do post you purchase.
Regards.
Drive Safe.
matchvan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 14:24   #30
BHPian

My choice would be on Honda Jazz CVT.

Pros:
Ease Ingress and Egress.
Compact enough for City.
Loads of space.
Honda's peace of mind ASS.
Looks good (even though subjective).
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks