Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 18:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Punto 90HP replacement | Ford EcoSport vs Maruti S-Cross

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Thanks to all members for your valuable inputs.

2 Lakhs more for Projector HL, Auto HL, Auto wipers, Leather seats, leather wrapped steering wheel.
Projectors are there is Zeta as well. It has:
- LED headlamps+tail lamps+DRLs (those thick DRL look nice).
- Auto headlamps and wipers
- Leather seats and steering cover
- Silver roofrails (functional like Brezza or not I dont know). Zeta ones are non functional.
- Auto dimming IRVM (Only real and worthy feature).

Alpha isn’t value for money and falls in higher tax bracket too in most states.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:06   #17
BHPian

Hi there,

So I used to own a 2013 EcoSport diesel Titanium which I sold in 2018 with 75k on the odo and currently own a 2018 facelift S cross Alpha done 40k.

EcoSport definitely has the better build quality and a much better engine. Maintenance cost too would be lesser. And I have taken it through some roads that I would not take the S cross.

The Scross is much more comfier. Ride is pretty nice compared to the stiffly sprung Ford. Handling wise I feel the S cross is a bit better, maybe due to the lower stance. It's also more spacious, especially in the rear. Its a more perfect car, more of an all rounder, almost no niggles. The EcoSport had a few minor issues.

Honestly its a toss between the two. Test drive both and pick the one that connects more with you.
revintup is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
So zeroed on these two cars. Budget is at 11L. No sub 4m car this time except Ecosport for it's relevance to my Punto 90hp in build quality. Need high stance cars only so Yaris, although at this budget, is ruled out. Rear seat comfort and design of Nexon we don't like. Sonet isn't attractive to us either. Moreover, both Nexon and Sonet are sub 4m only. Decently packaged Creta and Seltos are costly and we aren't convinced with their designs as well. So zeroed on these two cars:
Looking at your requirements, you may also consider the Honda WR-V Diesel SV MT variant which fits your budget, and offers 100hp/200nm torque. Even though it is a sub 4m car, it has acres of space in the rear. Honda's reliability is another plus point.
swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 16:52   #19
BHPian

I was in the same situation.

- Ecosport AT is 2 lakhs more than Zeta MT. Ecosport AT vs. Zeta AT contest is won by the Ecosport. No questions asked. Ecosport AT comes with paddle shifters too and the 6 speed AT is miles ahead of the Zeta AT. So if you are buying an AT vehicle, Ecosport AT wins

Decided to go with Zeta MT for the following reasons:
- Bigger car 4.3 M vs. < 4 M of Ecosport. S-cross is in a higher segment
- More space on offer
- Better engine. The K15B is a 4-cylinder engine vs. the dragon 3-cylinder engine of Ford
- All 4 disc brakes
- ISG/SHVS will assist to increase torque and also increase mileage. It is more environment friendly
- Rear wiper

Zeta MT has all the whistles needed like push button start, cruise control, electrically folding rearview mirrors, reverse parking camera with guidelines etc.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 17:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you expect your running to climb, it would be a good idea to wait for the S-Cross 1.5L diesel. Maruti's diesel engine is beautiful, and they are almost ready with the BS6 version. But can't say for sure when the launch will be.
Is this confirmed news? Maruti Suzuki has been testing few cars and there was a scoop of one of it having the DDIS badge. Any further information on their diesel engines? S Cross and Brezza with a diesel engine would probably clean sweep the competition.
Old 15th March 2021, 13:20   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I was in the same situation.
=====
l the whistles needed like push button start, cruise control, electrically folding rearview mirrors, reverse parking camera with guidelines etc.
Noisy 3 Cylinders vs 4 Clinders itself makes me to go after my second car as SCross, Breezy, Urban Cruiser, WRV or Glanza.....Automatic Petrol of course
Old 15th March 2021, 20:52   #22
ike
BHPian

Quote:

Ecosport Titanium diesel vs SCross Zeta. Need feedback on build quality, safety and low on maintenance. My running will be close to 15000 per year. I loved both the diesel and petrol engines. Scross interiors don't put me off as coming from a Punto I'm not a fan of too many gimmicky features. Kindly help pl.
I have been driving an S cross Zeta since May 2017 and have clocked about 59k KMS. Though the car has been reliable, the quality of build isn't great. I have quite a few rattles and squeaks in it and there are threads highlighting how the leather on the steering is peeling off, cracked gear knobs etc. I'd say get the ecosport, especially since you are coming from a well built car. The most expensive Maruti is still a Maruti.

Last edited by ike : 15th March 2021 at 20:55.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Go for the S Cross, only if you need the extra space.

Other than that, I feel Ecosport, trumps the S Cross in all other parameters.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 13:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think the perception towards turbo petrol engines is not true. I own the XUV300 turbo petrol and my overall running mileage is 14 in city and easily 19-20 on highways. I used to own an Estilo earlier, I see no difference in mileage at all. Unless you are heavy footed, turbo petrol engines are as good as the NA engines in terms of mileage.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 01:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Go for the S Cross, only if you need the extra space.

Other than that, I feel Ecosport, trumps the S Cross in all other parameters.
For the Automatic, Ford Ecosport trumps S-cross. The S-cross 4-speed ancient automatic bear box is no match for Ford.
For the manual, S-cross is a much better car. (1) Bigger in dimensions and a different segment (2) 4-cylinder engine vs. 3-cylinder engine (3) 4 disc brakes (4) High torque available in low rpm making it good for city driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I think the perception towards turbo petrol engines is not true. I own the XUV300 turbo petrol and my overall running mileage is 14 in city and easily 19-20 on highways. I used to own an Estilo earlier, I see no difference in mileage at all. Unless you are heavy footed, turbo petrol engines are as good as the NA engines in terms of mileage.
This is the first time I have heard this. Turbo petrols usually given lower mileage of 10-15% vs. their NA counterparts. If this is true, I would look to replace my Verna diesel with a Turbo petrol a couple of years down the line
Old 21st March 2021, 15:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the Automatic, Ford Ecosport trumps S-cross. The S-cross 4-speed ancient automatic bear box is no match for Ford.
For the manual, S-cross is a much better car. (1) Bigger in dimensions and a different segment (2) 4-cylinder engine vs. 3-cylinder engine (3) 4 disc brakes (4) High torque available in low rpm making it good for city driving

The OP is evaluating between a Ecosport Titanium Diesel and Scross Zeta Petrol. So both cars are 4 cylinder cars. Braking is better in S Cross, but Ecosport offers pretty good braking ability too. About the Torque, the diesel engine in Ecosport is extremely torquey in almost all rpms, and a great city crawler as well as excellent highway performer.

The space is better in the Scross, and so is the braking, but if you look at the quality of interiors and the driving balance offered by the Ecosport, along with the punchy performance of the 1.5 Mill, it's a no brainer for me.

It also offers better safety kit too with ESP/HLA/6 airbags/ VSM and a tad bit better build quality.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:13   #27
BHPian

you should take a look at the Renault Kiger. I've heard it pretty good . Priced beautifully and comes with the Renault pedigree ( duster magic carpet ride )

Also if you're open to used cars look for a well maintained Hexa AT . AT a 10-11 lakhs budget you'll get a rock solid car . Something that'll only top the ride quality of the punto .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 20:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The OP is evaluating between a Ecosport Titanium Diesel and Scross Zeta Petrol. So both cars are 4 cylinder cars. Braking is better in S Cross, but Ecosport offers pretty good braking ability too. About the Torque, the diesel engine in Ecosport is extremely torquey in almost all rpms, and a great city crawler as well as excellent highway performer.

The space is better in the Scross, and so is the braking, but if you look at the quality of interiors and the driving balance offered by the Ecosport, along with the punchy performance of the 1.5 Mill, it's a no brainer for me.

It also offers better safety kit too with ESP/HLA/6 airbags/ VSM and a tad bit better build quality.
I was comparing the S-cross petrol manual vs. Ecosport petrol manual.
I personally love driving diesel and drive a Verna Diesel. Totally agree with the torque. Hence want the 2nd car to be petrol

If it is a diesel, then it would be a close call between the Ecosport Diesel and the Venue Diesel. The Hyundai 1.5 Diesel is an engineering marvel
Old 21st March 2021, 21:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it is a diesel, then it would be a close call between the Ecosport Diesel and the Venue Diesel. The Hyundai 1.5 Diesel is an engineering marvel
Maybe Venue can be a good option, but the OP needs great build quality as well since he is replacing the fabled Punto. Ford is definitely much better in that regard than the Hyundai, and the TDCI mill of Ford is a legend in itself.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Maybe Venue can be a good option, but the OP needs great build quality as well since he is replacing the fabled Punto. Ford is definitely much better in that regard than the Hyundai, and the TDCI mill of Ford is a legend in itself.
The TDCI Mill of Ford cannot hold a candle to the Venue diesel
Ford vs. Hyundai
Engine Size: 1.5 vs. 1.5
Power: 99 bhp vs. 99bhp
Torque: 215 Nm vs. 240Nm
The Venue diesel comes with FGT instead of VGT & hence lower power (99 bhp vs. 115 bhp). Else, it is the same engine that powers the Creta.

In any case, it is unfair to compare petrol vs. diesel.

The OP is making a good choice in the S-cross petrol that provides higher power 105 bhp and has a healthy lower end grunt. The lower grunt in S-cross petrol is what has made me buy it. Taking delivery this Saturday!

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd March 2021 at 22:53. Reason: Typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks