Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?

Hi Everyone!!

I have been a spectator in this forum since 2012. The plethora of experiences and reviews shared by owners and moderators on this forum has been vast to say the least. As a feather on my cap, I was finally approved as a member here in 2020. Guess the pandemic did bring in some cheer after all.

Fast forward to today, here I am looking for advice and suggestions from everyone regarding my next BIG purchase of my life.

I am on the lookout for a fun to drive car to satiate my weekend needs as well as impromptu road trips cross-country. Before I delve into my requirements, I would like to share my driving experiences, just so that members can get an idea as to where am I coming from with regard to my perspective.

Motorcycling Experiences:

1. Bajaj Pulsar 135LS : Used it for my college commutes (strictly). In fact I never took it beyond the vicinity of Kolkata ever. I owned the bike for 8 months since I easily outgrew the power on tap and had my eyes set on an Apache even before purchasing this. Owing to the fact that I am the first person in my immediate family ever to have ridden a motorcycle, my father had put his foot down that I am not to venture in the 150cc category. My parents are extremely paranoid with the idea of me riding a bike but they are extremely sweet and understanding at the same time. More on this as you read on.
Summary: Bajaj Pulsar 135LS- 8 months- 5xxx kms.

2. TVS Apache RTR 160 Dual Disc: This is the motorcycle that I ALWAYS wanted to start with. When the Pulsar could not satisfy me anymore, I pitched the idea that I'd like to upgrade. Having just received my internship offer and a fat joining bonus of sorts, I purchased my very first vehicle in this life. It was a surreal feeling to say the least. This was the motorcycle that fit my like a glove. I knew this is the ONE. So much so, that I did not even bother checking anything else. I loved the bike to bits and in 2 years raked up 23000 kms.
Summary: TVS Apache RTR 160DD- 2 years- 22xxx kms.

3. Honda CBR 250R: Proudly named her 'Kokai' which stood for Sea of Red in Japanese. The picture is self explanatory. This is the bike which had the RedBull effect on me. It literally gave me wings. I traversed the length and breadth of the country in this. Notable trips included the following:
* Kolkata- Bangalore- Solo
* Everywhere possibly in West Bengal and Odisha, barring the Himalayas
* Entire South India circuit (Madurai, Alleppy, Rameshwaram, Chennai etc) with my sister as a pillion.
* Bangalore- Ooty-Coorg- Munnar
* Kolkata to Mumbai and back.
I got a taste for touring on this motorcycle. Alas, good things seldom last long and I was forced to part ways with it since I left for my MBA to the US. Upon returning, I did try to buy back Kokai but in 2 years it had already changed 3 hands and I could not muster courage to see her.
Summary: Honda CBR 250R- 3.5 years- 48xxx kms.

Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?-kokai.jpg
Car Experiences:
1. 2005 Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi- I learnt driving in this trusty steed. Though was a passenger in this for about 80% of the time it was with the family. We as a family do not employ a driver since cars are extremely dear to my Dad and me hence we share driving duties even now.
Summary: Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi- 9 years- Do not remember the ODO count

2. Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo VXi- This car was primarily purchased for my sister but I did most of the driving in this one. It was a neutral experience in this car and I did not like it much. The tall-boy design ruined the classic zen and the body roll was pitiful.
Summary: Maruti Suzuki Zen Estilo VXi- 3 years- 18000 kms

3. 2011 VW Polo Comfortline 1.2L MPI Petrol- I LOVED this car to bits. Yes, it had a lousy engine, yes it clattered like a diesel but I did not care. Remember how I mentioned the Apache fitting like a glove? This was the equivalent of that. I was so comfortable with pushing this car. I thoroughly enjoyed every drive in this car. This car would gulp state highways where there was need for agility rather than outright performance. This love too shall end since the rear seat was cramped and the height was too low for my parents. Before leaving for my MBA we exchanged the Polo for a 1.2L Petrol Baleno Alpha Manual since I did not want Dad to go through the hassle of dealing with VW ASS. The Baleno was chosen purely for the space on offer and the friendly Maruti ASS. Since Dad would only use it in the city we were okay with the flimsy build quality. This too was a sad parting since I loved the Polo a lot. Even had the factory spec sports kit to it at an embarrassingly high price. It looked HOT with the sports kit and scraping would be limited to the skirts rather than the actual body of the car.
Summary: VW Polo 1.2P MPI- 7 years- 53000 kms
Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?-polo.jpg

4. Maruti Suzuki Baleno 1.2 Petrol Alpha- We are still using this car. In fact I dared to even drive to Amritsar and back in this car just 2 months back. Feature wise the car was a HUGE step up from the Polo but the build quality made us squirm a little. Its becoming a rattle fest and I keep tinkering with panels to quieten them. I like the 1.2 litre engine. It is fun to drive and has a throaty roar between 2000 and 3000 rpm when cold. This engine is clearly tuned keeping fuel efficiency in mind. Beyond a 120 the engine feels lethargic and beyond 100 the car feels feather weight. Hence highway runs aren't very confidence inspiring, though make no mistake, this will get the job done. It tends to get bouncy on the highway. I understand that 15 inch wheels would be more comfortable but I do not mind the 16 inch ones since they look nice (Not in the original Baleno alloy but in general).As of now we are happy with the Baleno and Dad will continue driving this within Kolkata.
Summary: Maruti Suzuki Baleno Alpha Petrol- 2.5 years and running- 15xxx kms
Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?-baleno.jpg
Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?-img_20201125_065741__01.jpg

5. 2020 Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 LXi- This car was bought by my sister in January while she was staying in Punjab. During the lockdown I drove it down alone from Amritsar to Kolkata and it was quite an adventure. I shall pen down that experience in a separate post.
Summary: Maruti Suzuki Alto 800 LXi- 1 year and running- 7xxx kms

Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?-alto.jpg

Apart from this have driven numerous cars in India, USA and Canada. This includes doing a 37 state US road trip in a VW Tiguan, driving Baltimore-Toronto-Baltimore in a Camaro SS, trip to Michigan Upper Peninsula in a Dodge Charger SRT8, separate trips in a Challenger, Mustang 5.0, Mustang EcoBoost, moving houses in a FordF150 and others.
Dodge Challenger
Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?-dodge-challenger.jpg

If you are still reading, well, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Now I am on the lookout for a car. I will be relocating to Bangalore soon and I am looking for a car for myself. I am utterly confused to say the least. I will try to be as articulate as possible. Please bear with the mind of someone who wants everything wrapped in one package.

Requirements:
- Under 10 lakhs On Road- Kolkata
- A car for weekend drives and cross country road trips.
- I have a lead foot and enjoy being ahead of the pack though not at the cost of being rash. Simply put, I don't want a struggling drivetrain out on the highways
- Capability to cruise comfortably between 90-110 kmph with easy overtaking grunt beyond this when required
- Space isn't a high priority

Good to Have:
- Cruise Control
- Projector Headlamps (HID/LED)
- Reverse Camera
- Fog Lamps

Must Have:
- At least 2 Airbags and stable body shell
- Android Auto/Apple Car Play
- Rear Washer + Defogger
- Manual Transmission
- Music System with at least 4 speakers

I am not too interested in unnecessary features but would like a reliable vehicle which will not become a rattle house within 2 years.

It would be of great help if you could please point me to the right direction with your valuable insights!!!
Rhik94 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Which car for spirited highway drives and offbeat locations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhik94 View Post
Fast forward to today, here I am looking for advice and suggestions from everyone regarding my next BIG purchase of my life.

I am on the lookout for a fun to drive car to satiate my weekend needs as well as impromptu road trips cross-country.
Now I am on the lookout for a car. I will be relocating to Bangalore soon and I am looking for a car for myself...

Requirements:
- Under 10 lakhs On Road- Kolkata
- A car for weekend drives and cross country road trips.
- I have a lead foot and enjoy being ahead of the pack though not at the cost of being rash. Simply put, I don't want a struggling drivetrain out on the highways
- Capability to cruise comfortably between 90-110 kmph with easy overtaking grunt beyond this when required
- Space isn't a high priority

Good to Have:
- Cruise Control
- Projector Headlamps (HID/LED)
- Reverse Camera
- Fog Lamps

Must Have:
- At least 2 Airbags and stable body shell
- Android Auto/Apple Car Play
- Rear Washer + Defogger
- Manual Transmission
- Music System with at least 4 speakers

I am not too interested in unnecessary features but would like a reliable vehicle which will not become a rattle house within 2 years.
Since you are relocating to Bangalore, I would strongly suggest you buy a car in Bangalore itself. Having said that, you haven't specified if you are looking for a new or used car.

Looking at your requirements, if you are OK with a used car, then the S-Cross 1.6 with Stage-1 remap and HID projector fog lamps will suit you perfectly. It has everything you need, is an effortless highway cruiser and has amazing in-gear acceleration even at triple digit speeds. Used examples are available for around 7-8 lakhs nowadays.

If you insist on buying new, then I would recommend you be slightly flexible on price and up the budget by around 1-2 lakhs. In this price range, cars like the Tata Altroz, Hyundai i20, and other new generation turbo petrols will mostly be suitable for your needs.
KiloAlpha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice experiences, I share the feeling and to some extent the wheels.
  • Your requirements have an Altroz XZ i-Turbo written all over That's what I would get if buying new, most likely a silver.
  • In case you join the high GC bandwagon but still want good performance, the XUV300 W8 Petrol. Although more expensive(1.5 lakhs!) with a smaller boot and an average music system but excellent engine and safety.

Last edited by shancz : 9th February 2021 at 19:31. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

New:
I would look long and hard at the Rapid 1.0 TSi. The Rider trim should fall comfortably into your price bracket.

Sadly there is no great hot hatch. The only ones I can think off are the Figo Diesel & the Polo TSi Highline.

However, if you go the pre-owned way there are some fun options that open up including the S Cross 1.6 (with a remap), Jetta (keep some budget aside for maintenance), etc.

Just a suggestion: do consider a nice automatic (TC) as Bangalore traffic can get to be quite a handful.
lamborghini is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

With your requirements and driving. Polo 1.0 Tsi Highline Plus or a Rapid but you would have to strech if you want the cruise control.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Although missing the LED projectors, shortlist the Ford Freestyle Titanium+ diesel.
shuvc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 21:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

For your need, I will suggest the following cars-

If GC is a concern-

Ford Freestyle TDCI (Titanium+)
Ford Ecosport Petrol (Trend)
Hyundai Venue 1.0 Turbo MT petrol
Tata Nexon petrol MT (XM)
Mahindra XUV300 petrol MT (W6)

If GC is not a concern.

Polo 1.0 Tsi MT (Highline)
Rapid 1.0 Tsi MT (Rider)
Hyundai I10 Nios 1.0 MT

Take a TD of all the above cars, am sure you will be smiling with your heavy right foot!
Samba is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 23:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Going by your title of this thread, you would need a car with high ground clearance. Ford Eco Sport ticks all boxes which you've set except for Android Auto/Apple Car play. Do go for AT, you won't regret. It's a reliable torque converter box as well, and you get 1.5 litre engine unlike the 1 litre turbos that has flooded the market, thanks to BS6 emission norms.

From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Let me add Ford Eco Sport in Titanium Plus variant too to the list. A TC gearbox, ESC and six airbags makes it a compelling buy. It's still a looker though it's one of the oldest cars in the segment. It may not have the extensive feature list of a Seltos, Sonet or Creta but the basics and safety are pretty well covered. The telematics and ICE part(sans Android Auto/Apple Car play which is a big miss though) to an extent is taken care too unlike it's previous version. Icing on the cake is it's a driver's car.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th February 2021 at 23:18.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 00:11   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Once the journey starts, it's just you , the car and the road. Rest of the 'features' are optional, get the basics right and you will start to see more of India than the car itself, go ahead and explore the belly of this beast called India.

1. Effortless engine+gearbox.
2. Visibility, day and night.
3. Size.
4. Should stay in one piece, ground clearance, suspension.
5. Supportive seats, ergonomics and space inside.
6. Service support network reach.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 06:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think the Ford Ecosport ticks all the boxes. An AT would be preferable but thats personal choice. Since you want highway cruising and drive to offbeat places, any vehicle with slightly more GC than a sedan is desirable, just to avoid that unknown pot hole which can literally damage your suspension. So test drive the Ecosport and check.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Since you are relocating to Bangalore, I would strongly suggest you buy a car in Bangalore itself.
Any particular reason you might be saying this? I am aware of the Road Tax issues in Bangalore but IIRC, it is okay to drive for a year right? I was planning on getting a KA plate after one year so that by then the valuation if the car too would come down hence lesser hit towards road tax.
Frankly, the on-road price in Kolkata is about a lakh cheaper hence thinking of picking it up here.

Quote:
Having said that, you haven't specified if you are looking for a new or used car.

Looking at your requirements, if you are OK with a used car, then the S-Cross 1.6 with Stage-1 remap and HID projector fog lamps will suit you perfectly. It has everything you need, is an effortless highway cruiser and has amazing in-gear acceleration even at triple digit speeds. Used examples are available for around 7-8 lakhs nowadays.
I did try looking into pre-owned options, mainly for a Jetta 2.0 TDi but could not find the specific model. I have never purchased a used vehicle ever so based on initial conversations I noticed gaps in how much truthful the dealers are. Once I find someone trying to take me for a ride I can't trust giving that person my money!! Since this will be my primary vehicle I am sceptical about going the pre-owned route right now with an off chance of being left with a lemon.

Quote:
If you insist on buying new, then I would recommend you be slightly flexible on price and up the budget by around 1-2 lakhs. In this price range, cars like the Tata Altroz, Hyundai i20, and other new generation turbo petrols will mostly be suitable for your needs.
I am already pushing my budget here. I would like to stick to 10 Lakhs OTR. I found the i20 to be overpriced whereas I am yet to test drive the Altroz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Nice experiences, I share the feeling and to some extent the wheels.
  • Your requirements have an Altroz XZ i-Turbo written all over That's what I would get if buying new, most likely a silver.
  • In case you join the high GC bandwagon but still want good performance, the XUV300 W8 Petrol. Although more expensive(1.5 lakhs!) with a smaller boot and an average music system but excellent engine and safety.
I am yet to receive the TD vehicle for the Altroz i-Turbo. Initial reviews have been decent but I need to drive it to be sure. I had driven the Nexon and had very high hopes from the car but the I felt the drive to be neutral and blind spots coming in way too much for comfort.

After having driven the Nexon, i realized that I am at the age where I not only enjoy a lower slung car but can take the beating too so would like to hold on to a nice low slung car. If the road gets too bad , I will simply slow down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
New:
I would look long and hard at the Rapid 1.0 TSi. The Rider trim should fall comfortably into your price bracket.
I have requested the folks at Skoda for a test drive today. Let me see how that turns out to be. The Polo Highline comes with just about the essential features (which I am okay with) but I feel the Skoda's lower variants would be extremely spartan.

Quote:
Sadly there is no great hot hatch. The only ones I can think off are the Figo Diesel & the Polo TSi Highline.
I have requested for a test drive for the Figo as well. Yet to receive it. I am a little concerned with the build quality of the Ford and I am not sure how well will it age. Along with that, the omission of Android Auto is a bit extreme too. I need that screen for the maps and nothing else per say. I can manage fine without a camera too.

I will agree about the Polo TSI. That car is crazy quick in the city. I loved that feeling though we cannot overlook the fact that they have not done much in the last 10 years. Having owned the 2011 Polo, the interiors appear to be the same with the addition of features and fabric pattern.

Quote:
However, if you go the pre-owned way there are some fun options that open up including the S Cross 1.6 (with a remap), Jetta (keep some budget aside for maintenance), etc.

Just a suggestion: do consider a nice automatic (TC) as Bangalore traffic can get to be quite a handful.
I did look for the Jetta 2.0 but could not find the desired variant. On top of the that the pre-owned dealer experiences have left me sour. I would like to stick to new car unless I get that miraculous good deal somehow!!

Since I do not need the car of everyday commute and will use it only on the weekends, I am okay with the Manual tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
With your requirements and driving. Polo 1.0 Tsi Highline Plus or a Rapid but you would have to strech if you want the cruise control.
The Polo Highline Plus gets the Cruise control so no issue with that. The headlamps are pretty bad in the Polo so I have been following the headlight upgrade Threads too.

I did love the 1.0 TSI in the Polo, still awaiting the TD of the Rapid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Although missing the LED projectors, shortlist the Ford Freestyle Titanium+ diesel.
I am looking at this option very closely. Still awaiting a Test Drive for the same. My only concern is about its build quality and how would it age. Considering this over the Figo since it gets the Android Auto support!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

If GC is a concern-

If GC is not a concern.

Rapid 1.0 Tsi MT (Rider)
Hyundai I10 Nios 1.0 MT

Take a TD of all the above cars, am sure you will be smiling with your heavy right foot!
Hey Samba,
Great to see you chiming in too! Have spotted you numerous times on the NH-2.
Coming to the topic of discussion here, I would like to stay away from the Compact Crossovers and Compact Sedans.

I have taken the test drive of the Polo TSI and loved it. Yet to drive the Rapid.
I will try getting a test drive for the Hyundai i10 Nios 1.0 T. The last time I went to the showroom, they did not have a demo vehicle let alone a TD vehicle. The Sales person offered me to drive a customer's Turbo in the customer's absence to which I politely declined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Going by your title of this thread, you would need a car with high ground clearance. Ford Eco Sport ticks all boxes which you've set except for Android Auto/Apple Car play. Do go for AT, you won't regret. It's a reliable torque converter box as well, and you get 1.5 litre engine unlike the 1 litre turbos that has flooded the market, thanks to BS6 emission norms.

From another thread.
Hi Bibendum90949,

I briefly considered the Ecosport despite deciding against the compact crossovers. I was considering the Trend variant but even at the price point I was not getting my Good to have features which the other cars were offering.
Since I will not be commuting in Bangalore but will need it for weekend outings, I am okay to stick with the Manual transmission. I am one who likes to row the gears in this age of Automatics

Moderator’s note - Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2021 at 17:39. Reason: Please read the note posted below.
Rhik94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 11:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any particular reason you might be saying this? I am aware of the Road Tax issues in Bangalore but IIRC, it is okay to drive for a year right? I was planning on getting a KA plate after one year so that by then the valuation if the car too would come down hence lesser hit towards road tax.
Frankly, the on-road price in Kolkata is about a lakh cheaper hence thinking of picking it up here.
Sure, it is OK to drive around for a year in Bangalore and then get the registration changed. However, please understand that when you get the registration changed, you will need to pay Life Time Tax, and the depreciation as per RTO is not very much in the first 3 years of the car, so the impact on the tax you need to pay is very less. Please see https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/i...on+Schedule/en
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 11:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i realized that I am at the age where I not only enjoy a lower slung car but can take the beating too so would like to hold on to a nice low slung car.
Bullseye, I thought the same, I have a feeling you won't be disappointed with the Altroz and do let us know. Your inputs will be valuable to me too.

On the registration front, I am not sure how much you'll save but I don't mess round with cross state registrations, much less headache. You also get stopped less often with same state registration.
But I guess you've done your calculations.

Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 10th February 2021 at 11:53. Reason: added info
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:08   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Polo Highline comes with just about the essential features (which I am okay with) but I feel the Skoda's lower variants would be extremely spartan.
Quote:
Quote:
I have requested for a test drive for the Figo as well. Yet to receive it. I am a little concerned with the build quality of the Ford and I am not sure how well will it age. Along with that, the omission of Android Auto is a bit extreme too. I need that screen for the maps and nothing else per say. I can manage fine without a camera too.
Quote:
I did look for the Jetta 2.0 but could not find the desired variant. On top of the that the pre-owned dealer experiences have left me sour. I would like to stick to new car unless I get that miraculous good deal somehow!!

Since I do not need the car of everyday commute and will use it only on the weekends, I am okay with the Manual tranny.
Just some thoughts:

1) The Rapid Rider looses out on some features which would be nice to have, but the beauty of the Skoda's are that a lot of features can be enabled after market as and when you have the budget for it. A good tuner would be able to guide you on what is & what isn't do-able.

2) Figo / Freestyle / EcoSport have fairly good build quality. They aren't as rattle prone as the Maruti's, have segment average safety (3 stars), and can generally take a little bit of abuse.
Do take an extended drive.

3) Have you looked at the T-BHP Classifieds for the Jetta / anything else that catches your eye? Chances of finding an immaculate condition, pre-worshipped cars do go up & more often than not you will be dealing with the seller directly.
Also, if you're open to re-registering it, you can take your pick from across India as it could work out cheaper! Many folks from KA/KL have bought vehicles from MH due to the higher rates down south.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th February 2021 at 20:44. Reason: Quote tags fixed
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

If GC is a concern-

If GC is not a concern.

Rapid 1.0 Tsi MT (Rider)
Hyundai I10 Nios 1.0 MT

Sorry to differ but all the compact SUVs will cross the 10L mark on road. I think the hatchbacks fit in the requirement.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks