Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 22:46   #61
BHPian

Re: 2 million rupees, and still not a "complete" car for me to buy?

Whatever you do, take a loooong test drive in the car, and drive it the way you normally do. If it feels right, go for it.
Old 31st January 2021, 22:50   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Well let me add my 2 cents to this discussion and share my views based on my experiences!
I also had the Classic Ford Fiesta from 2004-2010 in TDCI version and it was an absolute gem of a car. The driving dynamics were spot on and the Diesel variant gave me 19+ mileage in mixed driving. In 2010 we replaced it with a preowned Civic AT in excellent condition. However inspite of it being a drivers delight it had some fatal flaws which made it unsuitable (especially for Gurgaon) : the very low ground clearance and risk of severe damage on waterlogged roads and also the ridiculously low mileage we got (6-7 kmpl overall). Within 2 years we let it go as it was just not practical for us. Parallelly we also had a Skoda Yeti (which was also an excellent car). We sold our Civic in 2012 and replaced it with a Skoda Laura Diesel. And that car is just brilliant in all respects. It has great driving dynamics, huge boot space, premium interiors, very good built quality, good ground clearance and also great mileage of 18-20 kmpl. That car is still with us (9 years old now) but we will have to let go of it soon due to the 10 year rule. But if this rule were not there, Honestly I would have retained it for another five years as it still is in excellent condition.
In 2017 we also bought our Jeep Compass and that is also a good car. Why I say good is that it cannot match the Driving dynamics, the responsiveness and the boot space of the Laura. But the Compass is better for broken roads and for off road conditions. So given all the choices the Jeep Compass was the practical choice to replace our Skoda Yeti. To replace our Skoda Laura I am waiting for the Skoda Kushaq which may fit the requirements partially.
I would recommend that you also wait for the Kushaq and then try it out as it may fit the bill for you!

Last edited by Behemoth : 31st January 2021 at 22:52.
Behemoth is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 23:29   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
. And if you're happy with Ford checkout the EcoSport. It is still a very very sorted car.
I really like the EcoSport but I'm highly reluctant to buy it because of the copper/orange accents inside. I know it's minor but I want to avoid the shoddy after market coverup and I guess I can't really cover up the seats without compromising safety. Seems like I'm the only one who absolutely loathes the orange accents.

This is actually my first time buying a car and I'm in a similar position as OP. I really can't find a car that satisfies me completely, booked the Seltos HTX, then realised the safety is bad plus no TC/ESP and so I cancelled it. The only car alluring to me right now is the Honda City. I'm waiting for the Kushaq though. Hopefully that ticks all the right boxes.
Old 1st February 2021, 00:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Car buying is such a dilemma ! And we all have been there
A new car usually is a replacement for an ageing car, or upgrade to a better segment. Also the choices we make will reflect our personality and for some their image in the society.

I have enjoyed the fiesta in my college days and it is fun to drive. From your listed options, the City is only one that comes close & the only one in your option that will tick on driving pleasure. It will also be the one to last longer. The automatic variant also gives decent fuel economy in heavy traffic. Do take an extensive test-drive to see if it fully works out for you and your family.

Also do check out the Nexon EV, if range is not an issue. It is another interesting car within your budget.
Old 1st February 2021, 00:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
How I wish we have choice of competent sedans between 15 to 20 lacs
While I agree that cars nowadays don't justify their price, you, good sir, are asking for everything.

Great handling
Fun to drive
Petrol
Automatic
High fuel efficiency
Big boot
Value for money
Reliable
Timeless design

Such a car doesn't exist.

The closest car that satisfies this list (except reliability and fuel efficiency) is a used Laura petrol automatic. But those are rarer than a unicorn. So the next best option is a used Octavia petrol automatic.

If you could do without an automatic, reliability and fuel efficiency, you could get a used Linea T-jet.

I gather you're very attached to your Ford. So just keep driving it until it's wheels fall off or a worthy electric car comes along.
evil_grin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 06:26   #66
BHPian

Like others have mentioned, the Skoda Kushaq might be something that is worth the wait for you. Or if you want a true blue SUV, the upcoming Scorpio might just fit the bill. Oh..and by the time you're about to replace your next car, maybe 10 years down the line, the Honda HRV might make it to our shores

Last edited by GKR9900 : 1st February 2021 at 06:33.
Old 1st February 2021, 08:04   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Oh..and by the time you're about to replace your next car, maybe 10 years down the line, the Honda HRV might make it to our shores
or STILL BEING CONSIDERED even after 10 years!!!

I wonder what’s taking so long for Honda and Toyota to get some of their line up in India. Yes it takes planning but Creta has been selling like hot cakes for years now. And here you have Skoda/VW developed a new platform and launching multiple cars with it while these guy’s are still waiting or considering.

Glad to see many recommendations on Kushaq! Hope Skoda has got it right this time. We badly need some competition for koreans.
firstdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 08:59   #68
BHPian

I think that you should go for the City. My family has had 2 Citys in the past and our experience has been nothing but great. It’s reliable, comfortable, looks premium, and it will serve you reliably for the next 15 years.
Merc_Freak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 09:15   #69
BHPian

Little late to the party, but if mileage is your only deal breaking concern with the hector I'll tell you my experiences over past 1.5 years.

My DCT Sharp gives me constantly above 10 with a 60:40 mix of b2b and highway drive (in city).

Worst mileage I've seen with 80:20 city: highway is 8.5kmpl.

This is in Delhi/NCR. Subsequent servicings has only improved this and I consistently see 11.5-12.5kmpl tankful to tankful now with 60:40 trafic mix.

Note : Seltos/Creta petrol dct both give ~1-2kmpl more than hector at max . That is something people don't talk about much as people like to bash Chinese goods in india.
dhruvwali is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 12:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq seems to be a good choice for you if you are looking for mini SUV. In sedan, you may look at City, Rapid or Vento.
Old 1st February 2021, 15:08   #71
BHPian

Have you considered the corolla Altis?

I am facing the same dilemma as I try to upgrade from my Vento. I am looking for an SUVish runner. However vfm in the price bracket appears to a challenge. Poor drive trains in petrol. Diesel is likely to depreciate too fast for my liking going forward.
Old 1st February 2021, 16:05   #72
BHPian

I am in a very similar stage currently and can relate to your points as I had similar cars in my considerations (well, technically, I am still waiting till 2022 due to other financial commitments)

I too am looking for an automatic, petrol car in the budget range of 15-18L

Currently I have a Jan 2010 registered i10 and hence the New City would still be an upgrade. Even test drove the New City and found it pretty awesome and the base automatic fits in the requirements too. However, wifey and I like the Harrier much more so Harrier still leads the race.

In the absence of Petrol Harrier, I checked the Compass too, really like the facelift. However the base Petrol overshoots the budget, so even I am waiting to see how things evolve. Might wait and see how the Kushaq is or wait for the Harrier Petrol whenever it comes (niggle free Petrol Harrier by 2023?)

Quote:
Prologue

When I bought my Ford Fiesta Zxi (what the Ford called Classic later) in 2010, I articulated my joy on the pages of Team-Bhp. They are still buried some where here. Between 2010 and 2021 (oh boy ain't we glad 2020 is finally over) that joy only went one way and I don't have to tell you which way is that.

2. Jeep Compass

5. Tata Harrier

5. Honda City

Therefore, while I am still undecided which one it is going to be , I thought I will initiate this discussion here and pick on the mind of more "tuned" people. How I wish we have choice of competent sedans between 15 to 20 lacs, I would have not even considered a Cross Over and would have waited for my finances to meet the threshold of a true blue SUV. Alas, that's not the case and doesn't seem to get any better any time soon. Unless some of you know if a real good contender is coming any time soon?
PS: Seltos rejected due to limited space inside and Creta for the looks (Old gen was lot better)
Old 1st February 2021, 22:24   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Unless some of you know if a real good contender is coming any time soon?
I can truly relate to this.

Even though at this moment, I am not in search for a car - but this happens to be the category where I would hunt for one - and watch out for. Yesterday I spoke to my cousin who was looking at cars in the same space, and had a much wider search - they have settled down for Seltos 'literally".

For some moment I thought this space would get exciting either with Cross-overs or SUVs. But nothing exciting has happened - Harrier, Hector, Creta, Seltos nobody gives that feeling of the "this is the car you should upgrade to" - either for my 6-year-old Ecosport or 8 years old XUV5OO.

For some moment I thought there is an exciting Ford SUV coming down within the 24 L bracket. - With the recent Mahindra Ford story, I am not even sure of its future.

I always wished we got a locally made C5 Aircross in the same range. The French are bringing the CKD/CBU to make it fight head-on with the Fortuner & Endeavors. And their locally made care which would come in is a tad smaller I think.

New XUV5OO: For me its the only light in at the end of the tunnel.

New Scorpio: Not so sure.

What would have been nice - Ford Kuga / Escape, Nissan Quashqai, Toyota Rav 4's - all made in India to fit the bracket
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:19   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Prologue

One car gives you a lot of features but is either new or lacks on other things the other car just simply feels over priced (case in point Harrier or Compass).

Unless some of you know if a real good contender is coming any time soon?
All cars are over priced in India currently (IMHO) for the value they deliver considering safety, features, comfort and other aspects together. To a large extent most of the cars are down right unsafe.

As a consumer if there is no product that meets criteria, then do not buy anything. Buying something that does not meet the criteria will cause heartburn later.

I for one have decided to drive my current ones to scrap and if then also there is no suitable car with sufficient value, I will simply not buy. But that is just me.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 13:46   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
I always wished we got a locally made C5 Aircross in the same range. The French are bringing the CKD/CBU to make it fight head-on with the Fortuner & Endeavors. And their locally made care which would come in is a tad smaller I think.
I think in the C5 Aircross thread, there is a rumour that the price they are looking at is 28 lakhs, ex-showroom, which is lower than the Fortuner & Endeavour. I believe they want to take on the Tiguan, Tucson and "almost gone" CR-V.
But of course, this will cross into 30s, particularly for us in Kerala & those in Bengaluru...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks