Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2024, 12:01   #586
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Hi All,

I presently own 3 cars, Kia Seltos IVT, 2022 (10k kms), Hyundai Grand i10 Magna AT, 2018 (24k kms) and Hyundai Verna 4S S(O) AT 2015 (66k kms). The Seltos and Verna are in Hyderabad, where I stay and the i10 is at Kerala where my parents stay and I visit often.

What are the other options that I should consider ? Thanks in advance.

1- The best thing would be to selll off both i10 & Verna and buy a capable car of Seltos’s calibre. Selling both of them should get you close to 10 Lakhs? Add another couple of Lacs and you have enough money to buy a new Brezza / GV AT or say a Jimny? If that sounds fun.

2- However, if you must have 2 cars in Hyderabad, then you could swap the i10 with a LXI Brezza MT ( To match your budget) I wouldn’t recommend a second hand vehicle.
Alternatively for under 10L, you could have a look at lower variants of Fronx/ Baleno.
Ignis is a good car which you can have for under 8L with an AMT.
Eco_boost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 14:02   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Dear BHPians

Help me with this dilemma to keep/swap my cars
Go for option 1 Hycross Hybrid is a city champ and should easily give 15+ kmpl, and its utility is unmatched, you can use it for just about everything.
Old 19th May 2024, 19:41   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Go for option 1 Hycross Hybrid is a city champ and should easily give 15+ kmpl, and its utility is unmatched, you can use it for just about everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Go for the option 2. Hycross is just too big for city usage and I feel you are not gonna use seven seats too often. Secondly Altis is still a highly capable car and you should hold onto it. You may regret after selling it at a low price. The 15 lacs you will save can be used for it’s replacement after 3-4 years. And lastly, ZS EV is a brilliant package. You will love driving it. It feels just like a perfect car for everyday use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroraanant View Post
If you have to choose between option 1 & 2 then I would anyday recommend option 2.
for option 3 I would like to say that delaying anything is better but till when that the individual only has to decide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
I think you should go with option 2, but rather than buying the base model of ZS EV, why don’t you look at the top spec Nexon EV (LR) ?
Thank you for the suggestions

ZS EV back seat comfort was a deal breaker for me as there was too much vertical movement on undulating roads(common in our case). As was the case with Atto3. I did not try Nexon/Punch EV as I needed 350+ km real world range.

I have gone ahead with hycross(in exchange for corolla ) as my dealer agreed for a delivery on Auspicious day of Akshaya Tritiya plus gave a good resale value.

After driving 300kms I am very happy with hycross. It is very car like and very easy to manoeuvre inside city(length feels similar to my Corolla)

I guess I will have to wait for a full EV for few more years
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:50   #589
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Dad drives a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel. Till date it's really doing well without any major complaints. Car has run 110k kms. Common issues like Waterpump and Headliner were replaced in 2019. Car is still mechanical very good. It feels as good to drive as it was when new. AC isn't as effective as Ford, Toyota, Tata cars but it does the job.

My question is,

Should it be retained/sell since it'll turn 13 years this October and that the car was discontinued in 2018.

One thing is that it's a BS4 Diesel car which one doesn't get these days ans the other thing being you won't get a car like that as replacement at low costs. Cars have really appreciated post covid. I am not keen on replacing it with something like say BMW 3 Series LWB, Mercedes C/E etc.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 11:43   #590
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone

Need advice on whether to retain or let go of our 2014 Swift.

I have recently moved to Chandigarh with my family. We have a Swift and (had) a Seltos in Delhi, and our initial plan was to transfer the cars to Chandigarh RTO as the local police here is notorious for flagging down out-of-state vehicles.

Earlier this month, I got to know that an elderly gentleman in our neighbourhood (in Delhi) was selling his 2017 Endeavour 3.2 at a mouth-watering price. The deal was closed at 14.5 lakh (easily a couple of lakh lower than market price) as the car was nearing 1.4 lakh km on the odometer and needed some cosmetic repairs, along with a new set of tyres, insurance and service. I got the service history cross-checked with Harpreet Ford and received a green signal from them on the car's mechanical condition

The important point is that it is already Chandigarh registered, so we saved a good amount on transfer as well. Meanwhile, a good friend offered 9.5 lakh for my Seltos, so decided to let it go and brought the Endeavour home.

Now the problem is that, after driving the Endeavour over the past few weeks, I don't find the need of a second (smaller) car anymore. Even in city confines, the Endeavour is a lot less intimidating than I had anticipated. My annual running is not much, around 10-12k km, and most of it comes from work-related travel to Delhi. So, the car will see very limited use till the time Endeavour is allowed to ply on Delhi roads (2027).

Parents have retired and taken a break from driving, but they insist on keeping the Swift for another 5 years as backup that I can use during Delhi's diesel ban scenario in winters. Fair enough, but I think I can exchange cars with friends/family accordingly during those times. Transfer cost comes to around 30k, whereas I will get around 2.5-2.8 lakh if I decide to sell it. There are no major expenses or problems in the car, except that the reliability is slightly compromised due to an aftermarket CNG fitment.

I am the only driver. In this situation, is it better to hold on to the Swift for another 5 years OR invest the sale proceeds somewhere to utilise in a future car purchase? Any other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 16th July 2024, 07:38   #591
BHPian

I guess I am a bit too late to provide an answer but considering the age of the swift and the fact that you have a Diesel, the petrol swift should come in handy, so I would suggest you keep hold of it.
bijims is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 09:09   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
I guess I am a bit too late to provide an answer but considering the age of the swift and the fact that you have a Diesel, the petrol swift should come in handy, so I would suggest you keep hold of it.
Thanks dear, but the car is now sold. Found a genuine buyer through OLX in just 24 hours and the deal was done. A lot of people advised me against selling it, but my limited usage meant the car would have stayed idle for a good part of the year. Hence, it didn't make much sense to keep and maintain a second car only to use for 1-2 months in Delhi's peak winter times.

Last edited by self_driven : 16th July 2024 at 09:10.
Old 16th July 2024, 20:05   #593
BHPian

Hello everyone,

We own a 2023 Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid, which has run 35k Kms in almost an year of ownership and a 2014 Honda City iDTEC, bought used in 2017 when the odo was at 35k Kms and the present odo is 1.87L Kms.

Hycross is our primary ride used by dad on daily basis and mostly chauffeur driven while City iDTEC is being used within city limits and barely sees highways these days as we have Hycross for this and driven by myself and mom. After I moved to US, the City is mostly driven by mom and occasionally by dad whenever mom takes the Hycross along with the chauffeur.

Now the thing is, since I have moved to US last year and with the arrival of Hycross, the City has been seeing less usage. At the time of leaving, the car has run 1.73L Kms and after I came for vacation in the month of May, I've noticed that this car has barely run 9000 Kms after I left and in 2 months of my arrival in India, I've driven it for nearly 5000 Kms till date and now sitting in Honda ASC as the car was suffering from engine oil leakage problem, which got resolved by getting new parts, clutch replacement since the present one has run 1.15L Kms and the bill for replacing these parts came close to a lac, which didn't make sense according to me to spend on a 10 year old car and this would be the last expenditure on this car, to which my dad agreed.

I felt this is the right time to sell this car before I go back to US as it has run close to 2L Kms on the odo and completed 10 years of its age, but with a heavy heart, I had to drop this plan as my parents said a big no in selling this due to economic reasons and with me not being in India at least for an year or two, buying a new car doesn't make sense now according to them. Even my folks too wanted to get rid of the City due to increasing maintenance, but, sadly, had to retain this car for sometime due to the reasons mentioned above. I even lamented on my folks to get rid of it, and even today, doing the same, but, still, they are firm on the decision. They love this car so much even today despite having Hycross at home due to being city friendly, gives no less than 18 Kmpl in city traffic even today (my dad is a person, who always values FE, reliability and safety over anything else and this is one of the reasons why he bought the Hycross Hybrid over other choices last year) though we don't mind letting go of FE as the car will be seeing less usage and rear seat comfort, which we can't get in a new car that we upgrade I guess though we are ok with compromising on this as we have Hycross satisfying this need. One of the main reasons for letting go of this car is I wanted to have another AT at home especially after using our Hycross on daily basis, which made me hate driving the City in the traffic due to being Manual and moreover, the car will be used by mom, who has been driving cars since more than 2 decades and driven only MT cars till date. I persuaded her to drive our Hycross so that she can get used to driving an AT, which she never drove till date and get an AT replacing the City later though she is young enough to drive an MT car even today (her age is 54 btw and has been suffering from leg issues since past few years off late).

But, considering our present usage, having 2 cars at home would suffice for now as I won't be in the country at least for another 2 years. Most of the people I know having at least 3 cars in their garage these days, especially in the gated community we are staying now.

Also, in last 2 years, with the intention of retaining this car for another 2-3 years as we had sold off the OG Innova during that time in 2022, we have spent nearly Rs.4L by getting the whole car repainted at the ASC itself, overhauling the suspension, getting a fresh set of tyres that has run 30k Kms till date and now, getting the timing kit replaced along with new set of clutch and radiator. The money we spent on this car till date is the resale value of this car if I sell it off now. All the services and replacements done till date have been done in Honda ASC itself.

Even after the car has seen some heavy and rough usage, it has bore the brunt well.

We usually sell off our cars within 5 years of ownership or less but I never thought that we'd be retaining this car for more than 5 years, which is quite surprising for me as we had a 1987 Maruti 800, which we had bought used during my birth in 1998 and served as a beater for 13 years before going for scrap. Later, my folks also felt that selling a car within 5 years or below doesn't make sense unless it suffers from niggles or problems and spending on a new car is a waste of money according to them as it is a depreciating asset.

Now, I have two plans. Sell off the City and get an EV or Petrol AT within 25L next year or retain the City even if we get a new car to serve as a spare car or 3rd car whenever any of our cars goes for major repair work or service.

Kindly help me in solving this conundrum.

Thank you
Old 17th July 2024, 07:30   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Hello everyone,

We own a 2023 Toyota Innova Hycross Hybrid, which has run 35k Kms in almost an year of ownership and a 2014 Honda City iDTEC, bought used in 2017 when the odo was at 35k Kms and the present odo is 1.87L Kms.

Now, I have two plans. Sell off the City and get an EV or Petrol AT within 25L next year or retain the City even if we get a new car to serve as a spare car or 3rd car whenever any of our cars goes for major repair work or service.

Kindly help me in solving this conundrum.

Thank you
Isn't 3 cars overkill unless all 3 of you are in town and need vehicles at the same time or unless one of the cars is in the workshop? Moreover, how much do you think the 2014 City would sell for, if the amount is paltry, then there is no use in selling it unless you expect more repair and maintenance.

Now because you have done a major repair/maintenance recently, I would expect the car to do fine without any issues for the foreseeable future considering it is a Honda, so that should let you hold on to it for longer.

Now when considering a third car, I would recommend an SUV as your City is a sedan and the Hycross is an MUV, and the SUV segment is loaded right now with a variety of options so that you could choose one according to your priorities.

Else, if you intend to replace the City with another sedan, then I would recommend the Hyundai Verna, the top-end SX(O) 1.5 Petrol DCT is loaded and comes at around 21 lakhs OTR Hyderabad.
bijims is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks