Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2024, 12:05   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Advice on buying a second car

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradhak View Post
- Why don't you wait, continue with the City and ride scooter to office for a couple of years and then upgrade?
- The streets are crowded, unsafe for pedestrians and I reach office covered in a layer of dust.
- Which Petrol Automatic SUV?
- Currently recovering from a bad scooter crash which has put everything in life on pause for the 8-10 months(yes, that unlucky at 30kmph and riding gear wouldn't have helped in that crash profile) I can safely say that two-wheelers can very easily cause disproportionate damage(twice the cost of the scooter in today's money and loss of a year of active life).
It could very well be an over-reaction but everyone has their priorities.
Based on what I understand, just get a car.

- Having lived in Bangalore, walked 30mins to work for 6 months, cycled 12kms to work for 3-4 months I can say that walking on public roads during peak hour traffic is quite dangerous. Let alone the the sweat, dust, dirt and muck(when it rains) and that's not a productive way to start your day.
Even when I was using a motorcycle, while stuck in ORR traffic, high on a heavy dose of fumes from the KSRTC buses next to me, I had concluded that one should get a car, turn on the AC and ICE and just burn fuel not blood

- I would suggest option 3. Based on your running you can opt for the mild or strong hybrid, you can do the math. I would suggest to check on the panoramic sunroof angle as the thin curtain can cause discomfort during summers. Hence I would suggest the non-sunroof version just to be safe. MSIL now comes with a similar warranty as Toyota so Grand Vitara/HyRyder is now a matter of preference of design/proximity. You don't have a dearth of options/advice in this segment anyway.

As for the overarching "You Only Live Once" theme, I would suggest to aim higher in the premium segment by getting a City replacement now and eventually buying something better than the Q3 in the premium segment.

Last edited by shancz : 2nd August 2024 at 12:10. Reason: typo
shancz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 14:42   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
- Currently recovering from a bad scooter crash which has put everything in life on pause for the 8-10 months
Wishing you a quick and full recovery.

Quote:
Having lived in Bangalore, walked 30mins to work for 6 months, cycled 12kms to work for 3-4 months I can say that walking on public roads during peak hour traffic is quite dangerous.
Given the short distance to work, even I tried cycling. Nobody on the road gives a damn about cyclists. I had a couple of close shaves and with that I put an end to cycling.

Quote:
Based on your running you can opt for the mild or strong hybrid, you can do the math.
It appeared as if Hyryder was the logical choice for me and I took a test drive. But turned out that I did not like the car much. I felt that the car was a bit sluggish to drive and wife felt that the rear bench and interiors were not great. That leaves the Hyryder out of the equation.
paradhak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 15:03   #603

Quote:
With this background let me pose my predicament. I am contemplating buying a second car. Which car to buy?
I think you should retain the City for your office commute and buy a new small car from Maruti or Hyundai for your son's needs. You can use your 25L budget to upgrade the City when it is time for it!
Gargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 16:11   #604
BHPian

Quote:
3. Toyota Hyrider - I am OK with the 25L budget. What is not OK are the looks. The rounded finishes of Hyrider do not appeal to me. Like with 3XO, the family can use the Hyrider and me being content with Honda City. Excellent mileage is a bonus. Bigger, better car. 2 years down the line, the Honda City can be sold and 3series/5 series bought.
I'd suggest you go with Hyryder Hybrid G variant. Its a great city driver. The looks do grow on you over time. It's a very handsome and comfortable car that replaced my honda city. My dad has been driving it lately and he likes it more than his Fortuner. Its also high enough to keep you safe from bad road conditions on BLR.

If you want to save a bit more then I'd suggest you go with the Jimny AT which has better performance on bad roads and an okay mileage compared to the Hyryder. Who knows, you might pick up an off-roading hobby?

I'd also suggest you look at a new Suzuki Fronx/taisor and Brezza or one in the secondary market for more savings and a similar experience to the Hyryder ride quality if you plan to go into the luxury segment later down the road.
3/5 series sure sounds like a great upgrade after you decide to retire the faithful Honda City.
tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 18:59   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
I'd suggest you go with Hyryder Hybrid G variant
Precisely my thoughts after a lot of consideration. Infact I was half sold and the test drive itself was meant to be more confirmatory. But somehow I did not like the car. I have driven Corolla a lot 10 years back. And Hyryder felt very different from what I thought it would be. Hyryder is out of contention for now.

Quote:
Who knows, you might pick up an off-roading hobby?
Interesting suggestion. Jimny was not even in the consideration list, now that you mention. Personally never fancied off-roading. But like you said, you never know. Maybe should do a test drive.

Quote:
I'd also suggest you look at a new Suzuki Fronx/taisor and Brezza
This segment can also be considered. But having been mentally and financially preparing for buying a car from the higher segment, unable to get my mind around to settle for a smaller car. Maybe I should be more practical around here and save for the future big buy.
paradhak is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:36   #606

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Right now we have a 2015 Grand i10 and a 2016 Honda Brio. 3 drivers in the family: me, my father and grandfather. I only moved back home last year so we have now realised that we need 3 cars.

The Grand i10:
-This is primarily my car
-Used mostly for the city as I don't prefer driving this on the highway due to safety
-It's started to show it's age, it crossed 100k kms and now has gearbox issues
-Currently getting between 3-3.5 for it, so I am selling it to buy a new car

Honda Brio
-only 33k on the odo
-mechanically no issues
-the car is pretty bare bones, no creature comforts at all.
-This is to be used by my grandfather, since he doesn't drive a lot and keeps banging cars here and there so don't want to get him something fancy.

Now for the new additions to the list and the dilemma where I need help from you guys

VW Virtus/Slavia 1.5 DSG: I am replacing the Grand i10 with either of these cars. I am a spirited driver and my last car was a 2016 Honda Accord so these make perfect sense for me. I like the exterior on the Virtus better and interior on the Slavia so it comes down to whatever turns out cheaper.

Scorpio N/ Sonet/ i20: We also need another car for my father. While he likes driving, his age has made him value comfort and convenience more. He now doesn't commute as much as he used to, so the car will have slightly lower than average running. It might also be used by my Mom sometimes, given she learns how to drive again. He started with a Scorpio N because he wanted a big SUV but he realised that the petrol drinks fuel and the diesel is at regulatory risk. We realised that the hatchbacks in the family were quite convenient for city runs, So now he thinks we should get a small car like an i20 or Sonet. These cars would also become easier for mom to learn on.

So the question is do you agree with the logic on getting a smaller car or should we get an SUV since I am buying a sedan. What would be better between the i20 and Sonet if we were to get a smaller car.
Old 3rd August 2024, 13:19   #607

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I don't think you should unnecessarily get a big SUV for city commutes and a car like Sonet would easily fulfill your purpose or if not maybe you can look compact suv segment like Elevate or Creta. These cars would be much more roomier than Sonet or an i20 and at the same time are not too big for city commutes .

Last edited by KarthikK : 3rd August 2024 at 14:17.
Old 3rd August 2024, 15:04   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt that the car was a bit sluggish to drive and wife felt that the rear bench and interiors were not great.
You should be better off with the 3XO sans the FE and boot space, but do check the rear seat ingress/egress for seniors. Outside of that there are a multitude of options to choose from.

Since its a wants issue, not recommending anything lower than the Hyryder/3XO. While you're looking at the Kushaq, why not check out the Elevate too with riders about Honda sensing if its used by the driver too.
I will caution against not splurging here in order to achieve the final objective.
Good Luck

Last edited by shancz : 3rd August 2024 at 15:04. Reason: spc
shancz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 11:30   #609
BHPian

Hey folks!

I've booked a Creta 2024 SX(O) IVT - Titan Grey. I had also booked XUV AX7, but decided to expand my budget and go for the Creta. My running is ~500km of city driving every month. Planning to take atleast 1 road trip every month, so around another 200-1000km/month.

My current garage:
- 2013 Hyundai Verna Fluidic - 1.6L VTVT Petrol | White
- 2016 Hyundai i20 Sportz Elite 1.4 CRDi Diesel | Black

I'm in a dilemma of which car should I get rid of as I only have 2 parking spots in my building.

The white queen

The Verna is older, but this car is a gem to drive. Everytime I sit in the car and rev it just puts a smile to my face. The smoothness, and the tall gearing of Verna makes me reach out for it more often as that suits my driving style in the city. The suspensions are not the best and it definitely needs some work there. I've had some issues recently with the gear getting stuck when turning on the car, took 5 minutes to get it slotted correctly and the problem never occurred again.

I'm getting around 2.5L if I sell this now in it's 11th year of running with only ~35k km on the ODO.

I think I would definitely love to tinker with this Verna, try to remap it, do some mods, learn more about the engine and car internals, apply a Nardo Grey wrap, change the suspensions and have fun with it! But not sure if I would actually find the time and the motivation to do all of this.

The black beast

The 2016 i20 is a beast of it's own, the grip and manuverability you get in this car is no joke. The torque from diesel, the turbo, and the small size combined makes me feel like all kinds of butterflies in the stomach!

The i20 being a diesel engine gives me great average in the city, but my running is quite low, and the turbocharger in it's 8th year is like a sword over my head. I am unsure about reliability of direct injection diesel engines, and I am not sure how much I might have to shell out in the future for repairs.

Hyundai exchange is giving me 5L for the i20 - ran about 60k on the odo .

It's so hard for me to get rid of these cars that I almost didn't want to get a new one as I thought I just couldn't part with either. But alas, driving a manual in Mumbai is painful. Really painful. And I needed an automatic.

Both my parents loved the thrill of the drive in their prime, but now they seldom ride (old age and manual transmissions making it difficult). I am hoping they feel comfortable riding the Creta. I could possibly get rid of both the cars and only keep the Creta. And next year get a small Maruti Ignis automatic, but I can't part with both my babies together!!

While writing this post, I realised I don't want to sell the Verna, and I'm getting good money for my i20 whose value will only go down as it ages. The 1.6 VTVT also maps well to my intrinsic driving style. It's such a shame that a car I am buying almost 10 years later has a weaker displacement than the Verna!

Any suggestions from the wise & more experienced folks would be surely welcome and appreciated!

Last edited by mizu : 4th August 2024 at 11:32.
mizu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 01:49   #610

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Need help to choose car/suv with peculiar requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
How about selling off the Figo and splitting your requirement to -
1. Any good automatic city hatch back such as i10 grand or a pre owned brio etc
2. Pre owned Mahindra Thar or a new one in stock with the dealer

Both these options together will stay in your budget. With the additional amount saved, you can customize your Thar as well
I have certain doubts that at today's market prices he will be able to cover all these costs anyway, even if he buys some urban hatch back.
Old 11th August 2024, 19:53   #611
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest selling the i20 and retaining the Verna.

Because :
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by mizu View Post
    Everytime I sit in the car and rev it just puts a smile to my face.
  2. Quote:
    I think I would definitely love to tinker with this Verna, try to remap it, do some mods, learn more about the engine and car internals, apply a Nardo Grey wrap, change the suspensions and have fun with it! But not sure if I would actually find the time and the motivation to do all of this.
  3. Quote:
    While writing this post, I realised I don't want to sell the Verna, and I'm getting good money for my i20 whose value will only go down as it ages. The 1.6 VTVT also maps well to my intrinsic driving style.
  4. You don't need a diesel for a low city runabout. For the handling and joy part you already have the Verna

Quote:
It's such a shame that a car I am buying almost 10 years later has a weaker displacement than the Verna!

Since you're looking at the Ignis, I would suggest to take a TD of the new Swift as well and I would also suggest to consider the i20 IVT Sports for its CVT over the AMTs in a under 11 lakh pricing.

Last edited by shancz : 11th August 2024 at 19:57. Reason: ccl
shancz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 23:10   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's such a shame that a car I am buying almost 10 years later has a weaker displacement than the Verna!
Be happy. 10 years from now, finding cars with any sort of displacement will be a challenge.

Regarding your current situation, I'd have suggested to retain the i20 eyes closed if not for the Verna's 35k km reading.

The i20 diesel is newer, much more fun, cheaper to run and aptly-sized for a city runabout. To add to that, it has that iconic European flair that's missing in the newer generation. In comparison, the Verna, even though one segment above i20, is similar to your Creta in multiple ways (NA petrol characteristics, power delivery, numbers, etc.). However, the odometer reading makes all the difference! At 35k km, the car is too new to be given away at that price. With some expenditure on preventive maintenance, you will be set for years to come.

Last edited by self_driven : 11th August 2024 at 23:13.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks