Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2023, 21:10   #541
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg View Post
Virtus is quite a capable car. I don't think you will regret buying it. As for Octavia coming back, I would say if, and when it comes back, the price could be quite a jump. I guess it would be close to the current Tiguan, if not more. Keep that in mind when you take the decision.
Totally agree that Octavia (if and when and it comes back) will burn a bigger hole in the pocket. That is one of the reasons to already execute the plan for the Virtus.

One wild card entry- go for Tiago EV LR for wife and keep using Creta for another ~5 years before an upgrade. But afraid that I will be paying upfront premium for EV with a relatively low usage to compensate that. Plus I am not convinced of the EVs right now. Feels like settling for the only available options. Thoughts?
Old 22nd June 2023, 18:37   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
The Jimny can replace the i10 and do the job of Car 2, you really don't need the 4th car.

If the itch to upgrade is really strong and you have the means, then you can also replace the Fortuner with one of the Beemers (preferably an SUV).
If not, you should be happy with the Tigor, Jimny and Fortuner in your garage.
Thank you. To aid my attempt at rational analysis (the Jimny thread meanwhile tantalizing my irrational brain) I tabled all my garage (The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars) usage scenarios:

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-garageusagescenarios.jpg

And it does look like I absolutely don't need a 4th car, i.e., mini convertible. And almost have no real justification for the Jimny instead of Grand i10

Meanwhile, what I want...
Old 3rd July 2023, 18:34   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Replace i10 with Jimny and call it a day if you really want it; otherwise continue with the garage as is.
Thanks Lambo! One more question, if I may ---

If one had to choose between keeping a Jimny vs a Fortuner, which way would one lean?
Old 4th July 2023, 01:21   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Thanks Lambo! One more question, if I may ---

If one had to choose between keeping a Jimny vs a Fortuner, which way would one lean?
For highway driving, road trips with the family, etc. The space and practicality of the fortuner + better build would be worth it.
But if you drive primarily in the city with 1-2 passengers, the compact footprint of the Jimny + better ride would be a boon.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 19:03   #545
BHPian

Hello bhpians, looking for some guidance. If you had to make a choice between a 12 year-old innova (run 1.3 lac km) and a 2019 Figo TDCI (run 42k km), which one would you retain and which would you sell? Would the reliability and the ease of maintainence of an innova trump the Figo considering the parent company has exited and spares availability could be a concern in the near future? Both cars are in top shape. This is a peculiar choice but it's the scenario i have to deal with.
robbie_KL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:51   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
If you had to make a choice between a 12 year-old innova (run 1.3 lac km) and a 2019 Figo TDCI (run 42k km), which one would you retain and which would you sell? .
I would sell both and may get a used Innova Crysta.

Between the two, the Innova can be retained. but it is already 12 years now. The Figo is going to get you lesser price with time.

If you cant do the sell both & get a Crysta, then the Innova remains.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 22:08   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
If you had to make a choice between a 12 year-old innova (run 1.3 lac km) and a 2019 Figo TDCI (run 42k km), which one would you retain and which would you sell?
Hi man, IMHO you can sell both the cars at good prices and get a Hycross or a Hector Plus, if not a Safari. I would give around 3.5-4.5 lakhs, depending on the maintenance condition. But I would assume that owned by a BHPian, it will be pristine . For the Figo, I assume the market is rapidly shutting due to Ford's exit, and the declining need for a hatchback. However, I would give you around 5-6 lakhs, again if in pristine condition. You will get around 8-10 lakhs by selling both the cars, put another 12-13 lakhs from your hand and drive home a Hector Plus or a Hycross. You can even get a used Crysta for that price.

However, if it was to choose between the 2, I would highly recommend selling the Innova before it burns your pocket. Though it is very rare in a Toyota, 12 years old is not the same as the delivery day. Selling the Figo is highly not recommended, considering its age and small footprint.

You can also consider sedans after selling both the cars, something like the Virtus or the Verna, if you like driving.
mgastor2022grey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 15:14   #548

Confused as to what car/cars to keep or sell.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on team-bhp. I need some advice on replacing my current cars.

I currently own a 2013 320d sport(with an m-kit), a 2020 bs6 ford endeavour 4x2 and a 2021 polo(petrol manual).

I love the 320d, it's a fun to drive car and it looks really good, my family loves the comfort and ride quality of the endeavour and we use it for long commutes, my wife uses the polo.

My dad is retired and has now picked up farming...so I thought of getting him a pre-loved 4wd thar or gypsy while I was looking for options, it got me thinking. Initially I thought I could replace the polo with a jimny. But now I'm confused.

The BMW is 10 years old now, it has 65k kms on the odo, but I've taken great care of it, it's in pristine condition. But then again it's quite an old car.
Next thing ford has left india, the car has done 31k km and is under warranty till 2025. The polo has 20k kms on the odo.

Now that I've given the background, these are the choices I have in mind.

1. Sell all 3 and buy a fortuner and a jimny.
2. Replace the endeavour or both the endeavour and the 320d with a fortuner or a hycross hybrid.
3. Keep all 3 and get an old 4x4.
4. Sell just the bimmer and get something later.

Please give your suggestions and other options too. Given that the government is pushing to take diesel vehicles off market, I'm confused as to what to do next.

Thanks in advance.
Mp37 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 13:27   #549
BHPian

Tata BS4 diesel car in 2023 - Nexon Vs Hexa (Brain Vs Heart)

I'm specifically looking for a Tata BS4 Diesel vehicle. (Obviously it will be an used vehicle). To keep it short, Tata, BS4 and Diesel - these criterion are fixed for lot of logical and illogical reasons. Currently I drive a 2020 Nexon XZ+(O) Petrol MT. We've recently sold a 2019 Tigor XZ+ Petrol MT because I want to own a BS4 diesel car (don't ask me why ). Not willing to spend more than 9L rupees. Both our cars are expected to clock around 10k kms every year. I also have an adv bike which clocks around 8-9k kms every year.

After getting acquainted with a friend's automatic Hexa I've fallen in love with it. Also drove a manual Hexa to get a feel and the experience was vastly different from automatic but still acceptable for me. I'm blown away by the ride quality, space and build quality of hexa. But I also know it's not as reliable as a Nexon. I've read all possible forums, reviews and websites for information about Hexa. Most people who own one sing praises of it however issues & niggles are also aplenty.

Heart says Hexa but there's a certain tentativeness when it comes to putting down money. The vehicle will have to survive lot of bad, broken roads in remote parts of Maharashtra and neighbouring states for next 3 years at least. Having driven the Nexon since 2020, brain says Nexon Diesel.

Asking experienced bhpians here for their expert opinions and inputs.

Thanks in advance.

Request to mods: Please move the post to a suitable thread if this ain't one. I tried creating a new thread but it was deleted hence posting it here.
Old 31st October 2023, 07:14   #550
BHPian

In need of opinions

Vehicles we Own :-

Škoda Rapid

This car has been fairly reliable if we consider 2 wheel sensor to be included in an annual service. But, the age does show up in the last two years by spending on suspension part replacements (costed ~₹17,000) and coolant replacement (costed ~₹12,500). The car expects us to fund for a suspension overhaul next.

Car with DQ200 = Maximum Warranty Coverage. A ~₹30,000 investment can extend warranty till July 2025. After which we are mentally prepared on creating a ₹4,00,000 FD for any mechatronics failure and/or clutch/flywheel replacements.

With 6+ years of beatings majority within the city has made the car in need of a fresh overcoat, plus a new tail-light (for left side). Not sure on exact pricing but, with few interior upliftments (enhancing lumbar and under thigh support, and a Black-Tan theme instead of current Black-Beige theme) assuming the fund needed to be ~₹1,50,000/-.

We might just tweak a light to the car if kept for more years (more than 2 years) :-
  • Big Brake Kit and Rear Disc Brakes
  • Keyless Entry and Go
  • Automatic headlights
  • Paddle Shifters
  • Stage 3 setup
  • Better alloys and rubber (tyres)

The car is absolutely great to joy and we do our road-trips usually in this car. But, due to its age and the DQ200 it will be slightly heavy on the pocket. On the other side of the spectrum, money spent on up-keeping this car will still be cheaper than buying a new car.

Ford EcoSport

The company has shut down, though I have never faced any issues with part availability, be it a small rubber bush on the door or wiper cowl panel. Also, the warranty claims have been smooth (yes, even after car not being qualified due to all modifications).

The performance aspect has been maxed out, and I do not see myself investing further in any modifications except reinforcing the front end (currently car has no crash bar ).

The car has been super reliable plus extremely C-H-E-A-P to own and maintain. Here too, I expect no further expenses except the premature clutch plate and flywheel replacements (more torque on the clutch and high city usage).

We have Z-E-R-O regrets with the car. The company being shut down and the part availability being a problem in the future are the only cards against this car.

New Car :-

Till date, all the vehicles we own have been on outright (no Loan) basis, though we don’t mind making an exception.

Requirements for New Car :-
  • 4x4
  • Diesel (helps us with long range during trips)
  • Under a budget of ₹30,00,000/-
  • Comfortable for 800 km or 16-18 hours of journey in a day.
  • Automatic Gearbox
We don’t mind looking for a reliable pre-owned vehicles.

We considered following varieties of cars :-
  • M&M XUV 7OO AX7L AWD - Amazing drivetrains but the interior quality felt inferior to our Rapid. Also, the software glitches and the long waiting time (not sure on the latter being valid now). Still a soft-roader, might struggle to take us to places where a hardcore 4x4 can take us.
  • M&M ScorpioN - We personally did not like it. The under thigh support being lacking in second row seat plus the feature list is just about average.
  • Toyota Fortuner (Pre-Owned) - Reliable workhorse in BS-4 avatar, ticks most boxes except lack of features and comfort.
  • Tata Safari (Facelifted) - What an amazing machine, great feature and deadly looks (especially in #Dark Edition). But, it’s a TATA and after making 2 bad decisions we are scared to give third chance.

The Dilemma:-

We have a major investment cropping up in a year hence, the dilemma. Also, at any point of time we require 2 cars in our garage.

The Options we have now :-
  • Keep both cars
  • Sell Rapid and buy a New Car
  • Sell EcoSport and buy a New Car

Last edited by GautamJ : 31st October 2023 at 07:19.
Old 31st October 2023, 11:36   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any reason for a new SUV?

With such low running, if there was no immediate requirement, i would look at purchasing in 2025 after the major investment has been done.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 19:23   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any reason for a new SUV?
Few of the reasons being :-
  • More Space
  • GC enough to tackle bad Mumbai Roads
  • We have been in situations where 4x4 might have helped or would have made it easier.

Quote:
With such low running, if there was no immediate requirement, i would look at purchasing in 2025 after the major investment has been done.
Appreciate your opinion, I am also now more keen to not purchase a new vehicle.
Old 1st November 2023, 14:50   #553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
Few of the reasons being :-
  • More Space
  • GC enough to tackle bad Mumbai Roads
  • We have been in situations where 4x4 might have helped or would have made it easier.
Fair - I haven't been in a situation where AWD would have helped - generally stick to the beaten track when touring.
The others however I can resonate with.

I would personally still hold off and wait a little while. At the moment the used car market and new car market are absolutely bonkers and it doesn't make sense to buy unless getting a great deal!
Maybe if Jeep is offering a stellar discount - it could be worth considering but apart from that nothing really exciting.
Next year would see some good options in the form of the new Fortuner, new Kodiaq, new Tiguan, etc. which could help drive down the resale values of the current models / increase discounts on competitor models like the Compass / Tucson, etc.

I also wouldn't recommend spending much on the Rapid if you are worried about warranty for the gearbox - most mechanical mods would straight away void the warranty.

Instead get some good brake pads, some nice rubber (maybe a little wider but also a little higher profile so you could get a slight upsize in ground clearance - many posts on the same are there on the forum to help you find the ideal size for the car without making a big difference with regards to tyres fouling with body / speedo error / warranty), etc.

As an option, you can even consider a lateral upgrade - a member recently bought a pre-owned Tiguan for around a similar price as a Seltos! It gives you everything you are seeking, except maybe the 100% peace of mind! The previous gen Tucson was available in diesel and with AWD - could be a good option alongside the Tiguan.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 21:10   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Next year would see some good options in the form of the new Fortuner, new Kodiaq, new Tiguan, etc. which could help drive down the resale values of the current models / increase discounts on competitor models like the Compass / Tucson, etc.
Great Suggestion BHPian.
I’ll probably own Rapid till the warranty tenure, which will give a breather for either the resale value to mellow down or new launches.
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 15:10   #555

Hello Bhpians ,

I am here with another Confusion pot, requesting everyone to add your ingredients to make it a fine broth. I have stirred it for long & still unable decide. Confused about what I am saying? Well, Lets stir a bit more together!

Last year when I purchased a pre-owned Innova, thought I am all set for another 7 to 10 year wrt cars. But this year, started having second thoughts by reading about Delhi’s Air quality situations, NGT rulings and our own Bangalore’s bad AQI. Many if & else statements started coming to mind & couldn’t decide what I should do next with my garage. Reaching out for suggestions from you Bhpians to make a better judgement!

Current Cars:

2017 Vitara Brezza | ZDI | BS IV | 86000 Kms | Purchased New.

Brezza has been a perfect car. Size is very apt for City usage & drives well on the highway Run as well. It’s been on fill – shut – drive mode in the last 7 years. Predominantly used by me in Bangalore.

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-brezza_tbhp_2.jpg

2008 Toyota Innova | V 2.5 | BS III | 145000 Kms | Purchased from a fellow Bhpian

Purchased Innova 18 months back for Parents usage in Hometown (Near Mangalore). It has clocked 25000 Kms since purchase & it shows how much the family loves traveling in Innova! It has become the default choice for longer trips either for comfort Or for luggage carrying capacity.

Innova was maintained really well by the previous owner & I could continue to do the same with his guidance & inputs. After purchase (cost to acquire wasn’t cheap, but no complaints as it was really well-maintained car), I have spent close to 1.5 Lacs for parts replacements & general services. Replaced All 4 tires as well at 143000Kms. Fitness renewal done & valid till 2028. Tax paid up to 2030.
The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-innova_tbnp.jpg

What goes FOR Innova:
  • Very well-maintained car. No signs of aging at all. It is in mint condition including the leather seats.
  • Comfortable car. Drives really well. Family is very happy with it.
  • I have spent really good for purchasing & maintaining. It makes sense to keep it longer to reap the benefit.
  • It has now got 4 new tires as well. I have clocked only 2000 Kms with them.
  • Whenever the dream of All India tour comes true, I would prefer taking this car!

What goes AGAINST Innova:
  • With parents staying in Bangalore for longer durations, car usage will go down from now. Having 2 cars is preferred, but not Mandatory.
  • BS3: Never know when NGT / Government will ban BS3 diesel car usage in Bangalore! If this happens, Innova will lose its resale value by a lot leaving me with huge losses.
  • 5th Owner on paper (Previously it has exchanged hands between Husband – wife – Son as Ownership transfer). I am the 3rd Owner in actual sense.
  • LMV – HMV debacle: During RC Renewal, some RTO fellow changed the vehicle class from LMV to HMV. Need to figure out how to correct it. Now HSRP becoming mandatory in Karnataka, this should be done before February.
  • Front Shocks & Battery will need replacement in the next 6 months. Also, nearing the next PMS, Insurance renewal. (read: 30 to 40k in expenses).
  • Fan belt, Dynamo went kaput during the last drive & we had to replace at a local garage with non-OEM parts. I might have to replace them again in the future.
  • Gear slotting issue: Very intermittently, I observed that the car doesn’t slot to any gear when at a standstill. Will need to pump the clutch a few times, and it starts working again fine. FNG / Service center couldn’t figure out any faults. Never observed this issue while the car is moving.

Confusions!

With the above as parameters, I am full of confusions on the next step that I should choose.

Option 1: No Change. Keep Both Brezza and Innova.
Pros:
  • Time and Energy savings!
  • Everyone is happy with the current set of cars as they serve us well.
  • We will continue to have 2 cars in hand.
Cons:
  • If the car gets banned to run either in Bangalore Or in general, I will lose most of the invested money.
  • I am not sure of the new expenses arising to keep Innova in the same good shape.
Option 2: Retain Brezza, Sell Innova
Pros:
  • I will be able to exit with lower losses!
Cons:
  • Losing a very well-maintained Innova!
Buy:
Depends on situations & needs a lot of thinking (Having a 2nd car is preferred, but not mandatory). Also, I won’t prefer to spend anything extra from the pocket for another 12 months.
  • Buy None. Live with only 1 car. Having only a 5-seater Brezza at home might be inconvenient for a few times a year.
  • Small Automatic Car for Bangalore city drive. Wife would like this (New / Preowned)
  • Buy a big Preowned Car for Hometown hops.

Option 3: Sell Both Brezza and Innova
Pros:
  • Larger cash pool for purchasing the next car.
Cons:
  • Losing well-maintained 2 cars.
  • Will end up having enough money to purchase only 1 car.
Buy:
  • One 7-seater Automatic car.(Preowned / New)
Buying Challenges:
  • Newer cars are expensive & have longer wait times.
  • I absolutely cannot afford to invest any new money for purchasing (for the next 12 months).
Requesting suggestions & guidance from members here! Many thanks for your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks