Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2021, 07:01   #496
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Anyway, hope members can share their thoughts and hopefully I make up my mind on this once and for all.
Not for everyone but I ride a bike to work as I also work on outer ring road. Although I have not gone to office much in the last 2 years, if you are up for it, it will actually seem like an upgrade as you will spend lesser times in traffic and get to keep your both cars.
But, like I said, this is only if you are interested in riding.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 10:17   #497
BHPian

Hi all,

We plan to change a car, probably, within the end of 2022. I shall explain our dilemma in brief. Suggestions are welcome.

The cars we own:
1) Bolero, ZLX, 2016 (Aug), 130000 Kms done (average use of 1500 Kms per month now a days)
2)Ignis, Sigma, 2020 (Dec), 10000 Kms done (average use of 850 Kms per month off late)

Bolero is used for my daily commute (80Km round trip), Chennai to Kerala trips (720 Kms one side, every three months or so). Ignis is used by my wife for commute to work and school drop & pick up (36 Kms per day plus sunday trip to church 15 Kms). My father (in kerala) uses a TUV 300 T10. Even after extensive drives, I am not feeling at home with it when compared to Bolero. Further, I have a small car 'fear'. I mean, I get restless, and feel unsecured whenever I drive a small car. I rarely touch the steering of Ignis.

Considering that Bolero has covered significant miles in last six years, I have started thinking of a replacement. (There is only one choice for replacement - A new Bolero).

Now, my wife says, she would also enjoy driving a Bolero instead of Ignis. I explained the pros and cons of driving one. The pros include higher better view, better presence on road, simple maintenance. The biggest con is difficulty in maneuvering in tight places and generally higher turning radius. Few days back, I gave the vehicle to her for a test ride, and she was asking how to adjust steering height in a Bolero, LOL.

So, the question is simple: Should I exchange the old Bolero or the Ignis for a new Bolero ? I assume that, going by whatever car portals tell, both cars will fetch more or less same price in the second hand market. We both have a special affinity to our Rocky Beige Bolero. But, is it worthy to retain a 1.30 lakh run 2.5 L M2DICR Bolero for another 60000 Kms and 5 years?
madrasilemon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 13:00   #498
BHPian

Hi madrasilemon,

My suggestion would be upgrade/ exchange your existing Bolero with a new Bolero or Bolero Neo based on your choice and get an extended test drive for your wife. May be offer the Bolero to your wife for couple of weeks and check if she is still interested to make it her primary vehicle.

If she does, you can sell the Ignis and get yourself a new Bolero as you drive your car for almost double the distance.

If not, Ignis is hardly used and has a lot of life left.
vikas2211 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2022, 16:26   #499
BHPian

Car Puzzle | Overhaul the Toyota Fortuner vs New ICE car vs New EV car

No this ain't no clickbait, And I hope the thread title is taken in the spirit else I request mods to please edit it.

Well this puzzle of what should be the next car (cars?) cannot be solved by me alone and I would certainly do good with advices from experts here.

Some Background:

Here is the list of our existing car's
  • 2010 Toyota Fortuner MT
  • 2017 VW Polo GT TSI
  • 2020 Tata Hexa XTA 6 Seater
Since there is a decent amount of daily travel for work involved two out of these three cars are chauffer driven and the third would be self driven occasionally on weekends etc. Currently the Fortuner and the Hexa are chauffer driven and the GT TSI does the job for when we want to self-drive but occasionally we also drive the Hexa for outstation trips without the driver. You might be thinking why not drive the Fortuner for outstation trips? Well because we do not want to drive a manual anymore.

The problem:

Now the Fortuner is 12 years old and has started giving a lot of pain in terms of maintenance. I also have started feeling that the Authorized Dealership where the car always get serviced has started trying to milk us with major repair bills, hence the decision is made to replace the Fortuner. We looked at the NX350h and liked it. YOLO played its trick and with the urge to move to a "luxury SUV" we have made the booking but the car is expected in 2023 only. With time on our side, it has lead us to re-evaluate our car buying strategy. Anyways it will be self driven only so the problem of replacing the Fortuner still exists because the NX will replace the GT TSI if we finally decide to continue with the booking.

The requirement:

Would prefer a reliable and safe Automatic SUV with a good ride comfort & rear seating to replace the Fortuner, mind you we have been spoiled by the Hexa and that too with captain seats! Hexa will remain in the stable since it is considerably new. One car out of the three will only be self driven, second car will be chauffer driven mostly but should be good to take out for occasional outstation trips, and the third car will be chauffer driven only. Not keen on owning a badge, but the car should be reliable.

The confusion:

• Should a Sedan be added to the consideration? Considering Mumbai Potholes and water logged roads during the Rains, will it be a wise decision?
  • EV, if yes then which one? Or is it too early to jump in the EV bandwagon?
  • Should we cancel the NX350h booking, get a new Fortuner and continue with the GT TSI and Hexa? Mind over Heart!
  • Should we replace the Fortuner with another car based on recommendations here and continue with the NX350h booking and replace the GT TSI for self drive
  • Come over the fear of owning a badge look at the BMW X3 or Audi Q5 to add to the confusion.
  • I did like the new Mahindra Thar
  • Find a good FNG and get the Fortuner overhauled. Mechanically it is still doing good.

Looking forward to discussing with the group on ideas! Thank you!
curiosity is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 19:12   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Puzzle | Overhaul the Toyota Fortuner vs New ICE car vs New EV car

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post

The confusion:

• Should a Sedan be added to the consideration? Considering Mumbai Potholes and water logged roads during the Rains, will it be a wise decision?
  • EV, if yes then which one? Or is it too early to jump in the EV bandwagon?
  • Should we cancel the NX350h booking, get a new Fortuner and continue with the GT TSI and Hexa? Mind over Heart!
  • Should we replace the Fortuner with another car based on recommendations here and continue with the NX350h booking and replace the GT TSI for self drive
  • Come over the fear of owning a badge look at the BMW X3 or Audi Q5 to add to the confusion.
  • I did like the new Mahindra Thar
  • Find a good FNG and get the Fortuner overhauled. Mechanically it is still doing good.

Looking forward to discussing with the group on ideas! Thank you!
The Lexus NX is a really good choice for a chauffeur driven car that occasionally will see you behind the wheel unless the chauffeur is a poor driver who will mess up the vehicle / suspension.

If for any reason you don't want to give such a loaded or expensive car to the chauffeur, you could look at options such as the :

1 - Superb / Camry : I wouldn't be worried about driving a sedan in Mumbai unless you live in an area with impossible speed breakers / prone to water-logging. The Superb has better ground clearance than the Camry from what I understand based on others experiences.

2 - Pick up an Innova ZX 7 seater automatic and call it a day - the Hexa will still remain the better vehicle to drive but the Innova will be more comfortable than the fortuner and also gets the captain chairs.
Not suggesting the Carnival as the long wheelbase makes ground clearance a touchy topic literally.

3 - Mahindra Thar : Too bumpy and impractical unless you want it for self driving to replace the Polo

4 - EVs : depending on your road trips, EVs may or may not make sense. Something like the MG could be a good city run-about to replace the Polo and also for longer trips to say Pune, etc. But if by road trips you mean stuff like Mumbai-Goa non-stop - an EV may not be the best idea.

The way I see it, your options are:
1 - Replace Fortuner with NX. If the chauffeur is good, let him use it daily and it's always there for weekends. Polo is a perfect city hatch for Mumbai - you would miss something that nimble.

2 - Replace Fortuner with Superb / Camry : A good long test drive should ease all doubts about these cars capabilities

3 - Replace Fortuner with something like an Innova Crysta

4 - Replace both the Polo (with something fun, but also highway and city friendly like the Octavia / Mini / A4 / GLA), and the Fortuner (with a sensible chauffeur driven car like the Innova / Superb / MG Hector too is a good option)

I wouldn't recommend keeping the Fortuner unless you're happy with the ride quality as a purely chauffeur driven car (since you won't drive manual).
With 12 years, even though the mechanicals are sorted - one cannot escape wear and tear related expenses and consequent service visits.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 11:22   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The way I see it, your options are:
Thanks for the inputs lamborghini! Some very valid points there.
  • Your point of the Fortuner providing wear and tear expenses and constant service visits is coming true. On a weekly basis some or the other electronic issues are cropping up. Looks like it need to move out soon. With a change needed immediately, I will start looking at cars that are available for delivery soon
  • Will visit Toyota Showroom for Innova (although I am not convinced on having Hexa and Innova), Camry (I want to check this) and the New Fortuner (Family wants to replace a Fortuner with a Fortuner)
  • Point taken on the Polo being a good city hatch. Even I am keen on keeping it, so it looks like I will have to set aside some amount for repairs (dreaded DSG issues) and use it for 3-4 years more before replacing it.
  • Will also visit Skoda to see the Superb.
  • I was looking to holding on to the NX350h booking, also considering it is a CBU but in the whole scheme of things doesn't look like it is fitting anywhere.
curiosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 01:44   #502
BHPian

We are a two car household.

The first car (used by wife) was a 14-year-old i10. Sold it last week and I'm still hunting for a replacement.

The second car (used by me) is a 7 year old diesel i20.

Here's the dilemma: Should I also sell the i20 now and get some decent value or wait some more? The car is in mint condition: there isn't a single rattle, it gives great mileage, and while it is accident free, at the same time it's at an age where small nicks can be ignored and keys handed over to the parking attendant without much worry (my office parking sucks).

If it wasn't for the NGT 10 year rule, I would have kept it without worry till the end of its life. But the experience of selling the i10 has shown that you get poor value if you wait too long to sell.

The car usage is quite low as of now since both of us are mostly working from home. But that can change soon.

The plan is to have one small hatchback (Swift AMT maybe) as the replacement for the i10 (wife is more comfortable with smaller cars and it will be used exclusively within city) and an SUV (Creta most likely) as a replacement for the i20. Total outgo ~20 lakh

I will buy the i10 replacement this month and was waiting for the chip shortage to settle down and maybe buy the second car in early 2023. But the Creta has loooong waiting, the prices seem to be hiked every second month and a refresh is round the corner.

Should i sell the i20 and maximize value (but increase my outgo; I avoid loans for cars) or wait some more and sell at a much lower cost + pay higher price for the new car (but split the outgo over a year)?

Last edited by naru80 : 21st April 2022 at 01:51.
naru80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:21   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Your point of the Fortuner providing wear and tear expenses and constant service visits is coming true. On a weekly basis some or the other electronic issues are cropping up. Looks like it need to move out soon. With a change needed immediately, I will start looking at cars that are available for delivery soon
Could you please elaborate the issues you’re facing with your Fortuner, I have an 8 year old Fortuner Manual and would like to know the problems that I should be prepared for.

Quote:
[*]Will visit Toyota Showroom for Innova (although I am not convinced on having Hexa and Innova),
Honestly, I don’t think you should look at the Innova, primary reason is both the Hexa and Innova will be serving the exact same purpose in your garage.

Quote:
Camry (I want to check this)
Camry should be definitely checked, it’s even more understated than a Superb, the pull of a Camry can only be understood after experiencing and driving one!

Quote:
and the New Fortuner (Family wants to replace a Fortuner with a Fortuner)
This is what most people always want/end up doing, replacing a Fortuner with another Fortuner.

Quote:
[*]I was looking to holding on to the NX350h booking, also considering it is a CBU but in the whole scheme of things doesn't look like it is fitting anywhere.
Any reason to not continue with the booking? IMHO, it will be a perfect replacement for the Fortuner. If the NX350h is taking time to be delivered then look at the ES300h as well.

Quote:
Come over the fear of owning a badge look at the BMW X3 or Audi Q5 to add to the confusion.
They can be checked but I think if you’re retaining a Hexa and Polo GT TSI, where the Tata ASS is a gamble and the GT TSI’s DSG is a question mark, another German should be avoided! Its better to keep one Japanese.

And the recent poll between the NX and it’s competitors says something that I didn’t expect on TBHP, a Japanese is leading among the Germans!!

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-a5dbd5c687984f2f8a2243abec7867b1.jpeg

Quote:
[*]Will also visit Skoda to see the Superb.
This is an extremely VFM option, and should be definitely looked at!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd April 2022 at 11:28.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 19:39   #504
BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Here is the list of our existing car's[list][*]2010 Toyota Fortuner MT[*]2017 VW Polo GT TSI[*]2020 Tata Hexa XTA 6 Seater

Now the Fortuner is 12 years old and has started giving a lot of pain in terms of maintenance. I also have started feeling that the Authorized Dealership where the car always get serviced has started trying to milk us with major repair bills, hence the decision is made to replace the Fortuner. We looked at the NX350h and liked it. YOLO played its trick and with the urge to move to a "luxury SUV" we have made the booking but the car is expected in 2023 only. With time on our side, it has lead us to re-evaluate our car buying strategy. Anyways it will be self driven only so the problem of replacing the Fortuner still exists because the NX will replace the GT TSI if we finally decide to continue with the booking.
Hi Curiosity,
I own a 2010 Fortuner as well and touch wood, apart from regular service at Madhuban Toyota Kurla, it still runs like brand new. No niggles yet as well. Just out of "curiosity"(pun intended), which Toyota ASC do you get your car serviced at? You could probably switch Toyota ASC's and see if it makes a difference. IMHO, they don't make machines like these anymore.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th July 2022 at 18:56. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 8th July 2022, 17:53   #505
BHPian

Can my 2013 Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi run reliably for another 2-3 years?

Hello folks,
I currently drive a 2013 Hyundai Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi SX(O). I purchased it in Sep 2013 and have driven it for almost 78,000 kms. It's my only car and I use it for everything from grocery shopping to highway road trips. The entire ownership has been pleasant and I find it delightful to drive the car till date.

I am now tempted to move to a 2 car garage - an SUV and a Sedan. Not that I need two cars (can only drive one at a time) but it's more of a heart-over-head thing (topic for a different thread I suppose). I will be booking a Scorpio N and can optimistically expect delivery by the end of this year. Verna's odometer will be close to 85,000 kms by then. Starting next year, I expect an average running of 15,000 kms per year (hope to do 2-3 road trips in a year). Around 10,000 of it will be on the SUV and 5,000 on the sedan.

I ideally want to continue with the Verna for another two years and then look to replace it with another sedan. Few reasons for wanting to wait before replacing:
1. I love the car and if I can latch on to it for a little longer, I will.
2. The total expected running of 15000 kms an year is too low to justify buying two new cars at once. Delaying the sedan replacement also gives me a chance to experiment with this two-car-garage thing and see if it's working out for me.
3. Not many options among the sedans right now which will feel like a good replacement (not a fan of crossovers). Honda City is great in comfort and good enough for me in terms of features, but during the test drive missed the 1.6 CRDi's torque which I have got used to over the years. Slavia / Virtus 1.5 is probably the only real alternative but even if I go for it, I would want to wait it out for the issues to get fixed (especially the AC thing).
4. Hoping (wishfully?) that the Civic-Elantra segment may make a comeback in the Indian market.

Coming to the dilemma: Can I expect the Verna to continue running reliably for another 2-3 years? If not, I would rather sell it now while it's still in good condition. I am OK spending 20-25k per year on its upkeep, but would not want to get into major breakdowns which require large spends to fix. Also, it's worth persisting with only if it continues to run delightfully (no nagging issues and service center visits). As mentioned earlier, I expect it to run for only 5000 kms a year anyway.

Some info on current condition of the car:
- I have managed to maintain it reasonably well - spotless interior and scratchless exterior.
- No accidents. Services done at Hyundai workshop throughout.
- Tyres replaced at 60,000 kms
- A major service done earlier this year at 70,000 kms. This included replacement of clutch and pressure plates, release bearing, suspension work (both front lower arms replaced, balance rod bush - stabilizer bar), all brake pads replaced.
- Prior to this, I can remember only 2 major issues during the entire ownership. Something with the steering motor (4-5 years ago) and AC evaporator replacement (3-4 years ago).

Last edited by tarunjain : 8th July 2022 at 18:21.
tarunjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 18:06   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

@Tarunjain, a well maintained car will run for a long time. Unless you have experienced problems, I dont think you need to replace it soon.

Agree on the point about not having two new cars. Two cars, (even if one new, one older) one driver can be a bit of maintenance (not just repairs/servicing etc), but more in terms of putting the money and efforts to use. Hence would suggest to stick to one, even if it means getting the Scoprio-N and then giving away the Verna.

But having done a 2-car-garage thing for a single driver, I will say rethink on the idea itself. Btw my usage is purposed based.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 19:09   #507
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can my 2013 Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi run reliably for another 2-3 years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunjain View Post
I am now tempted to move to a 2 car garage - an SUV and a Sedan.
+1 to Condor.

Unless there's someone else to use the second car, it'll tend to be a maintenance nightmare. I've seen a lot of two wheelers and cars getting covered in dust as the new vehicle soon becomes the default choice.

I guess you'll get an idea after 6 months post purchase of your SUV. But then, it's difficult to know whether you'd actually prefer to stick to a sedan or an SUV depending on your taste buds.

Happy shopping and may the most deserving vehicle come home!
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 19:34   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can I expect the Verna to continue running reliably for another 2-3 years? If not, I would rather sell it now while it's still in good condition.
Why not? I have a 2014 Verna 1.6 Crdi and don't find any viable upgrade in the current market scenario. So plan to hold on to it for a few more years. I don't think the resale value will go down by much.

To scratch my upgrade itch, I got a Thar . Get the ScorpioN and try out the two-car garage. I am sure you will like it.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 19:39   #509
BHPian

Quote:
I will be booking a Scorpio N and can optimistically expect delivery by the end of this year.
Since you are used to a sedan, I hope that you have adequately assessed the ride quality aspects of the body on frame Scorpio-N which will be very different from a sedan.

Also, I sense you would be going for a diesel for your kind of running, as petrol suv would be a thirsty companion.
Old 9th July 2022, 08:30   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
a well maintained car will run for a long time. Unless you have experienced problems, I dont think you need to replace it soon.
I agree and hope for the same. I was essentially trying to get inputs on how reliable Verna is considered to be in general, if they are known to age well, any expensive part known to be susceptible to failures, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But having done a 2-car-garage thing for a single driver, I will say rethink on the idea itself. Btw my usage is purposed based.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Unless there's someone else to use the second car, it'll tend to be a maintenance nightmare.
I would think that's more likely to happen with two similar cars. In this case, I am expecting that there will be locations or situations where I will find it more convenient to take a sedan. Similarly, to bad roads on the city outskirts, highway trips, I will prefer taking the SUV. Of course, there is a possibility that this assumption turns out to be incorrect. That's one of the reasons for latching on to the Verna. It will help me experiment at a very low cost with this two-car-garage thing, and if it works out well - I can upgrade to a new sedan later. If it doesn't, will bid goodbye to the Verna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why not? I have a 2014 Verna 1.6 Crdi and don't find any viable upgrade in the current market scenario. So plan to hold on to it for a few more years. I don't think the resale value will go down by much.

To scratch my upgrade itch, I got a Thar . Get the ScorpioN and try out the two-car garage. I am sure you will like it.
Thank you for the reassurance! I too was tempted for the Thar but just couldn't get past its impracticality, given one of the primary use cases of an SUV for me was road trips. Scorpio N on the other hand checks all those boxes well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Since you are used to a sedan, I hope that you have adequately assessed the ride quality aspects of the body on frame Scorpio-N which will be very different from a sedan.
I am aware that they are supposed to be very different. In fact that's the primary reason behind the temptation for a two-car-garage. There is no reason for me to have two similar cars in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Also, I sense you would be going for a diesel for your kind of running, as petrol suv would be a thirsty companion.
Yes, it will a diesel. But more than the fuel efficiency (which also is a factor), it's mainly the fact that petrol scorpio-n isn't available with a 4x4 at all, which I would like to have.

Last edited by tarunjain : 9th July 2022 at 08:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks