Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 22:36   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Big Dilemma: To sell or not to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavJoshi View Post
a coat of paint, CNG kit, new tires etc.
After all the small things that need to be sorted out, it will cost me around 52 k Rupees
Good set of tires and fresh coat of paint alone will cost close to 50k, what is the cost of CNG kit? Or you have cheaper sources for Tire & painting? I suggest not to compromise on safety, SX4 deserves better rubbers.

With your daily usage I don't see any big advantage of CNG addition, on the other side you will be losing approx 50kg payload and compromising on driving dynamics.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 07:57   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Fellow Bhpians
I am recently enrolled at University. As the University is 15 Kms far from our residence, traveling to the Uni in a car makes sense. My parents are planning to pass me our old Suzuki Sx4 ( 2007 112000 kms driven). As the car is Petrol and the mileage is around 9 kmpl , am planning to fit a CNG kit. There are lot of things to be done on the car like a coat of paint, CNG kit, new tires etc. The car has been evaluated to cost around 88 thousand Rupees. After all the small things that need to be sorted out, it will cost me around 52 k Rupees (Total cost Rs 1 Lakh 40 thousand) The real dilemma is that the car can be sold after the all these money spent for Rs.120000. Should I invest the money in our car or sell it and find a car with CNG for around a lakh Rupees ? There are many Hatchbacks available for this price but as the commute is mainly on a highway, I would want to have a safer car. Please also recommend a good car in the used car market for the aforementioned price. This is my first Post on Team Bhp so please excuse the errors that I have made.
Cheers !
Kindly post pic of the car and the maximum budget you are willing to spend. As a thumb rule I have read on internet, one should not spend more than 50% of the value of the thing that is on its last legs. How reliable is your car in general, should be the deciding factor whether you should continue with it or not. And keep your investment on the car bare minimum.
Dr.Abhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 14:07   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
I agree with others here. Retain the SX4 but please don't fit a CNG kit for just a 30 km daily run. Even the current daily average for your car comes out to ~23 km.

Are you getting a coat of paint, CNG kit and new tyres all for 52k? How?
Hi Thanks for replying. The tires are from a used Sx4. The tread is fine and the tires are in great shape ( Used for 5k km before the car was totalled. The person is asking 10k for a set of four.
Old 19th November 2020, 16:12   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
Kindly post pic of the car and the maximum budget you are willing to spend. As a thumb rule I have read on internet, one should not spend more than 50% of the value of the thing that is on its last legs. How reliable is your car in general, should be the deciding factor whether you should continue with it or not. And keep your investment on the car bare minimum.
Here are some pictures of the car. Am thinking of repainting it in midnight blue colour( Pictures for reference) The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20201119_160112.jpg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20201119_160123.jpg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20201119_160126.jpg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20201119_160130.jpg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20201119_160137.jpg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-img_20201119_160156.jpg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-2008_suzuki_sx4pic71935908688363534441024x768.jpeg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-2008_suzuki_sx4pic66368385071665643371024x768.jpeg

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-2008_suzuki_sx4pic40241126431234195601024x768.jpeg
Old 19th November 2020, 18:18   #395
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

By looking at your car, it doesnt look any dingy or full of scratches. A whole car scrub at painter can easly restore the lost shine with few patch requiring more attention. The main thing which requires more attention are your headlights. Restoring/fitting new should be your priority as it is a safety requirement as well as it will improve your cars feel good factor a few notches. Apart from that, the main thing is mechanical/electrical reliability of your car. If your car is running fine than you can think of CNG kit. I dont know the overall benefit of adding a CNG kit, but the thing I know is that CNG kit deteriorates the performance and increase the overall maintanance cost. One thing I can suggest you is that you can go for good looking alloy wheels from reputed brand. Well personally I dont recommend alloy wheel, but in your case as you are going to a new college/university, it will significantly improve the look/feel good factor of your car. And in case something untoward happens in further ownership period, your alloy wheels can be easily resold.
Old 19th November 2020, 18:37   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the car. Am thinking of repainting it in midnight blue colour( Pictures for reference)
There are some rust spots so it'll be good to get those addressed by a painter. However see if you can paint only those affected body panels & go in for a thorough interior and exterior detailing to bring back the shine.
While midnight blue does look good, change of colour is generally costlier + will have issues during resale / RTO checking unless you get the same updated in your RC.
Avoid the CNG, get a good set of alloys. Make sure brakes and suspension are in good Nick + a good service and you should be happy for a couple of years.
Old 19th November 2020, 20:11   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the car.
Looks fine for a 13 year old car. Rusted parts and headlamps need some attention but complete repaint would be an overkill.

For added oomph, you can get rid of wheel covers or ask the painter to paint them black. ORVM caps can be wrapped in black vinyl for a nominal amount.

I'd advice against getting used tyres from a totalled vehicle. They might have been subjected to very high external forces during impact or could have developed flat spots if the totalled car was sitting at one place for a long time. Such damage will not necessarily be visible to the casual observer. 10k for 4 tyres is not a steal deal either. You will be better off with new tyres. There are plenty of good options for 15" under 20k.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 08:30   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the car. Am thinking of repainting it in midnight blue colour
From pics, looks like headlights, front passenger door and both bumpers need attention. If you dont have any issues with mechanical issues like suspension or powertrain, just get those body parts fixed and get a set of brand new tires. Keep the original color due to all hassles like workmanship, resale, RTO etc.

If budget permits, upgrade seat covers, alloy wheels and possibly a touchscreen headunit. These upgrades will make you feel good in day to day usage than minuscule savings from CNG.
Old 20th November 2020, 08:57   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the car. Am thinking of repainting it in midnight blue colour( Pictures for reference)
I'd advise repainting or selling this car. If it has no major problems, try getting body panels (patches + rust) fixed and get a wrap on the roof and/or bonnet.

Also, try getting some sexy alloys.
Old 27th November 2020, 15:29   #400
BHPian

My dilemma

I have two cars, KL registered Brio (‘12) and KA registered Figo 1.5 diesel titanium plus(‘16).
I love both these machines , both are excellent in their own right. Since pandemic, usage has come down drastically (also moved out of Bangalore) , now both cars parked 98% of time.

Brio has clocked 85k and Figo is at 79k kilometres on odo.

I feel , I don’t need two cars at home (also there two scooters for short run around in village), I have couple of thoughts running in mind.

1) Brio is showing its age , fix those mechanical issues and use that for some more years , sell of Figo as highway runs seem rare. However wife feels Figo offers better riding comfort over Brio. I tend to agree. I expect higher return while selling Figo.

2) Sell Brio in as is condition, for whatever money it fetches best. Wait for an year or two and then buy a good EV in market for most of runs ( a solar grid connected setup is in works). Figo can help with occasional long runs.

3) Sell both and buy a AT Petrol SUV, more space as son is no longer toddler, parents too live with me.

Advise me, I am all ears.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:16   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Advise me, I am all ears.
Figo is newer and a decidedly superior car as compared to the Honda. Sell off the Brio, hold on to the Figo diesel for few more years. Replace it with a properly spacious SUV when the time comes. Use that for a couple of years and then, depending on how the EV scene matures in India, you can go with your dream EV as a second car for small urban runs.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:41   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Advise me, I am all ears.[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Figo is newer and a decidedly superior car as compared to the Honda.
Will agree with self_driven on this. Keep the Figo since it's newer for a few more years. Sell the Brio and wait for the chance to buy a proper SUV.
akash_v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 05:16   #403
Senior - BHPian

Sell the Brio ASAP. Don't put a lot of money into it.

Unless you absolutely need a 2nd car, use the Figo for city runs rather than getting an EV just for this purpose. After all, manufacturing an EV also adds to greenhouse gases. Needless the say, you need to pay insurance, maintenance, setup charging, and have parking at home.

Sure doesn't sound like #3 is an immediate requirement. Save up & invest until you absolutely need to get the SUV or AT. After all, I'm sure you've put decent money into the Figo for maintenance & your insurance premiums are low.

Quote:
Wait for an year or two and then buy a good EV in market for most of runs ( a solar grid connected setup is in works). Figo can help with occasional long runs.

3) Sell both and buy a AT Petrol SUV, more space as son is no longer toddler, parents too live with me.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 2nd December 2020 at 05:18.
Old 8th December 2020, 14:45   #404
BHPian

Need Advice - 7+ year old XUV500 or 3+ years old Innova Crysta?

Bhpians,

I have 2 cars with me and can keep only 1. Other one needs to be sold. I am not able to make a decision on the same. Please help.
  1. XUV500:
    • 2014 June make, W8 AWD, 80,000+ Km done, Mainly driven by me
  2. Innova Crysta
    • 2017 June make, 2.4G (7 seater), 95,000+Km done, mainly driven by driver

I am not able to choose which one to keep and which one to dispose off..

Mind says, XUV is getting old and maintenance will start soon => Go with Innova
Heart says, XUV is the better one to drive from a driver perspective => Keep it
Old 8th December 2020, 16:47   #405

Re: Need Advice - 7+ year old XUV500 or 3+ years old Innova Crysta?

Hi Ravi,

Looks like a tough choice to make. But given that one car needs to be disposed, below is what i could think
XUV500 can be disposed - Given the aging factor and resale value.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks