Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2018, 23:50   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Tyre change will be the cheapest solution for you. Maybe its time you should drive my car now, especially on the ORR and then decide.

PS: I don't think upsize will impact the ABS calibration. Several members here have changed their tyre sizes. Most of their cars have ABS.
Thanks, point taken. Lets catchup sometime this week.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 30th March 2018 at 23:52.
Old 12th April 2018, 14:39   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I know what you are saying. I upsized my tyre to 165/65...

Tyre change will be the cheapest solution for you. Maybe its time you should drive my car now, especially on the ORR and then decide.
Thanks a lot Ashis. It was extremely kind of you to let me drive your vehicle.

Few instantly noticeable points after the short drive -
1) The broader tyres have made the steering firmer.
2) Car feels heavier and little more planted, albeit at the expense of a bit of pickup.
3) Seats in your car have bedded well and more comfortable, probably the seats get firmer upon usage. Seats in my car are more spongy.
4) Tyre upgrade to 165/65 is a must in Wagon R. Esp. for those who frequent the highways.

Below is a snap of the unofficial t-bhp'ian meet.
Attached Thumbnails
The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-20180412132956.jpg  

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 12th April 2018 at 14:46.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 17:54   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Thanks a lot Ashis. It was extremely kind of you to let me drive your vehicle.

Few instantly noticeable points after the short drive -
1) The broader tyres have made the steering firmer.
2) Car feels heavier and little more planted, albeit at the expense of a bit of pickup.
3) Seats in your car have bedded well and more comfortable, probably the seats get firmer upon usage. Seats in my car are more spongy.
4) Tyre upgrade to 165/65 is a must in Wagon R. Esp. for those who frequent the highways.

Below is a snap of the unofficial t-bhp'ian meet.
It was nice meeting you Jitin. Hope it helps you to take an informed decision.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 18:27   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
One size up is required for most cars - esp the smaller ones. I have gone from 155 to 175 on my A-Star, and happy with it - even though the car has not stepped out of BLR city. The change is evident esp on highway-like stretches ( elevated road) and also on bad stretches.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 18:52   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One size up is required for most cars - esp the smaller ones. I have gone from 155 to 175 on my A-Star, and happy with it - even though the car has not stepped out of BLR city. The change is evident esp on highway-like stretches ( elevated road) and also on bad stretches.
Sorry for going , but 175 on the Astar is an absolutely brilliant choice. A brilliant handler that it already is, the wider tyres change the character of the car immensely. I think it should've come stock from the factory.

My Astar ZXi (sadly now sold, I do miss her a lot), I had 175 tyres on them (got them on delivery day) and drove them for a good 75k kms everywhere including drives of over 1000kms at a time. Driving in the ghats especially was awesome. Adds to the looks too.

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars-tumblr_mg1dkb2gtj1rhuq6go1_1280.jpg
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 09:58   #246

New companion for Delhi traffic

So I live in Delhi/ NCR and drive a LOT in traffic. My average daily run is around 60 Km per day; and my time spent driving is about 4 hours (Delhi traffic, what are you going to do).

Background:
I have an Ecosport (Ecoboost) T(O) which I bought for 10L (on-road back in 2013) and I had no issues with it till I moved to Delhi (from a T3 town, where the Ecoboost was a pleasure to drive). The problem with this car is that I need to shift the gears a LOT and that can be frustrating. Though still solid fun to drive on weekends, I get an average fuel consumption of about 10 Km/ L or less. I love this car, the whistling engine, the stable confident drive even at 180 Km/ h.

I also have an Ertiga VDi (non-SHVS), which I am driving on a regular basis because of fuel economy (17+ Km/ L in Delhi traffic with AC on.. HAAAH!). This car is terrible to drive though. I don't mind he occasional Maruti rattle (we're probably used to it) but I have absolutely no confidence when attempting to overtake any other vehicle with this car.

Next steps:
I plan to give my Ecosport to my brother who stays in the T3 town as it is perfect for his use. And I plan to get a new car. The good part is that I can wait for a while before making my purchase as I have the Ertiga as well. I see two options: 1) Keep the Ertiga and buy a smaller automatic transmission car (Auto Hatch); 2) Sell the Ertiga, get a new sedan with automatic transmission. Since I am the only one driving, we can do with one car as well. The reason why I need my Ertiga is for my grandmother. She's easily able to enter/ exit the vehicle without a problem. She has issues when doing that in a lower seated sedan. I use this car for going to Jaipur, etc. (I know it doesn't have airbags or any safety features; those would be a welcome change in case I sell this car). Also, I am 6'3" tall.

Summary of requirements:
Case 1 (retain the Ertiga):
1. Automatic (TC/ CVT/ DSG, no AMT)
2. Budget under 10L
3. Fuel efficiency - this will be my daily use car
4. Diesel/ Petrol doesn't matter for registration as I will register my vehicle outside Delhi anyway (10 year diesel rule won't matter)
5. Moderately fun drive (as much fun as you can have in the city anyway)
6. Safety

Case 1 (sell the Ertiga):
1. Automatic (same as above)
2. Decent ground clearance and height for easy entry/ exit for my grandma
3. Budget under 15L
4. Fuel efficiency
5. Preferably diesel
6. Good storage and legroom
7. Fun drive (as much as the Ecoboost at least)
8. Safety (preferably 6+ airbags)

Common requirements (kind of goes without saying but I like to ):
1. Low or negligible ownership issues
2. Hassle free service

If there's something coming soon, I can wait for it. I plan to keep whatever I buy for at least 7-8 years (maybe more, if I'm also selling the Ertiga).

Note: If I've posted this incorrectly, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 11th May 2018, 11:00   #247
Senior - BHPian

I think a Corolla Altis petrol automatic would be a reasonable fit for you. Not all that low doing so have your elderly relative try it out. You may have to get a lightly used one though at your budget.

The other option is a XUV 500 given you already have an Ertiga that she is comfortable with.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 11:27   #248
BHPian

Re: New companion for Delhi traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by morecrap View Post
Case 1 (retain the Ertiga):
1. Automatic (TC/ CVT/ DSG, no AMT)
2. Budget under 10L
Case 1 (sell the Ertiga):
1. Automatic (same as above)
2. Decent ground clearance and height for easy entry/ exit for my grandma
For scenario 1, not much options under 10L with proper Automatic (and not AMT). My choice would be a Jazz CVT (subdued but reliable) or Polo GT TSI (immensely fun to drive but concern for DSG would always e on the back of your mind)

For Scenario 2, Ecosport, Creta , S cross - all are an option albeit with a few compromises. Ecosport is short on interior space, Creta is not a good highway handler, S cross lacks a heart it really deserves. I would be hard pressed to decide on this one.

Nexon would probably fit as an option in both scenarios, if you are OK with a relatively better version of AMT. You can have best of both the worlds with Diesel AMT Nexon. Do take a test drive.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2018 at 09:09. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 12:34   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

I shouldn't be saying this, but it makes no sense to have a car just lying around in the garage not being used for most part except for long distant trips - when you can easily rent a self-drive car for those trips.

Therefore I would go with Option 2 - sell the Ertiga

Here, you have several options in new and used, and I would recommend the facelifted Hyundai Creta (as you already have the EcoSport). It is what I would put my money on today if I had similar needs as you (we ended up with the S-Cross 1.6 but that engine is no longer available, and it is a manual).

In you want to retain the Ertiga, one option to consider is also the Amaze CVT Diesel, along with hot hatches like the Polo GT, etc.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 12:50   #250
BHPian

Re: New companion for Delhi traffic

Quote:
So I live in Delhi/ NCR and drive a LOT in traffic. My average daily run is around 60 Km per day; and my time spent driving is about 4 hours (Delhi traffic, what are you going to do).
Do you absolutely need the Ertiga's 7 seats? Moreover it doesn't have any safety kit so it's not exactly the best choice for highway trips.

I say sell the Ertiga, and get a Creta diesel automatic. It's spacious, easy to drive in traffic, has good GC and comes with standard safety kit. If you want a sedan, you could consider the Verna.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 11th May 2018 at 12:52.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 15:20   #251
BHPian

The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

I believe if you want the 7 seater and the extra space (considering you are tall) a good replacement for your ertiga would be the new ertiga which is expected to launch this year. Should be within your price range though we can't be sure which automatics would Maruti provide. Fun to drive is another requirement which would not be fulfilled with this car.

As for retaining the Ertiga then I believe you should go in for the Amaze CVT diesel or Jazz cvt petrol. Honda automatics are pretty good and reliable and should work nicely over 7-8 years as you plan to keep the car. Another option is the Brezza AMT Diesel though I doubt how much fun to drive the car is especially compared to the ecoboost.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2018, 11:00   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I think a Corolla Altis petrol automatic would be a reasonable fit for you. Not all that low doing so have your elderly relative try it out. You may have to get a lightly used one though at your budget.
Thanks for your reply! Corolla Altis is a tempting option but even a lightly used one is expensive here in Delhi. Also, petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
For scenario 1, not much options under 10L with proper Automatic (and not AMT). My choice would be a Jazz CVT (subdued but reliable) or Polo GT TSI (immensely fun to drive but concern for DSG would always e on the back of your mind)
Thanks for your reply! I agree with you. I tried driving my friend's Creta on the highway and it wasn't great. Also, it makes you feel like a sucker because it is THAT overpriced. I'll take a look at the Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I shouldn't be saying this, but it makes no sense to have a car just lying around in the garage not being used for most part except for long distant trips - when you can easily rent a self-drive car for those trips.
Thanks for your reply! I'm open to selling the Ertiga. I'm not too keen on the Creta because of it being massively overpriced. I loved the S-Cross 1.6 and for that performance (and MS peace of mind), I'd be happy to give up on automatic for it. too bad it was discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Do you absolutely need the Ertiga's 7 seats? Moreover it doesn't have any safety kit so it's not exactly the best choice for highway trips.
Thanks for your reply! I do not 'really' need the 7 seats. I generally put down the last row for luggage. The higher car is purely for my grandma's convenience. Verna is one option I have been considering but the cabin space is just terrible. My head keeps brushing against the roof half the time. That being said, it is a nice punchy drive. TC gearbox performance is very good on this car. I'd want to exhaust other options before compromising on the Verna (which also pulls away certain bells and whistles in the automatic diesel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I believe if you want the 7 seater and the extra space (considering you are tall) a good replacement for your ertiga would be the new ertiga which is expected to launch this year. Should be within your price range though we can't be sure which automatics would Maruti provide. Fun to drive is another requirement which would not be fulfilled with this car.
Thanks for your reply! I can wait for the new Ertiga as I am not in a rush. I did not know that there's a Brezza AMT; I know MS' problem with sticking with an engine like the 1.3 DDiS. Will still check it out along with the Nexon, which looks super impressive on paper.

Amaze CVT Diesel - Wow, would really want to know how they got it to work well enough to be able to sell it. Jazz/ Baleno CVT is another decent option that I can look at.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2018 at 09:14. Reason: Compacted and trimmed quoted posts
Old 12th May 2018, 13:02   #253
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your reply! I can wait for the new Ertiga as I am not in a rush. I did not know that there's a Brezza AMT; I know MS' problem with sticking with an engine like the 1.3 DDiS. Will still check it out along with the Nexon, which looks super impressive on paper.

Amaze CVT Diesel - Wow, would really want to know how they got it to work well enough to be able to sell it. Jazz/ Baleno CVT is another decent option that I can look at.
The Brezza AMT was launched last week itself and we still haven't got any reviews for the same. It would be better if you take a TD yourself before proceeding. Nexon vs Brezza AT diesels will surely be a hotly contested debate among prospective buyers now on.

As for the Amaze CVT initial reviews seem to be very positive for the drive train. Honda diesels are very fuel efficient as well and so the car should be great for your high usage. Honda is usually great with packaging and so both the jazz and the amaze offer a good amount of space for the size. Considering Delhi traffic I don't think you should compromise on your AT requirement. Your left knee will thank you for it.
Old 21st May 2018, 08:48   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
The Brezza AMT was launched last week itself and we still haven't got any reviews for the same. It would be better if you take a TD yourself before proceeding. Nexon vs Brezza AT diesels will surely be a hotly contested debate among prospective buyers now on.

I couldn't find the Brezza AMT anywhere to test drive. I've decided to sell the Ertiga and get a replacement for it. Problem is, the only car that can replace an Ertiga other than an Ertiga is Innova and the automatic variant is way above what I am looking to spend. I really need an automatic car.

How's the Hexa automatic?

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2018 at 09:15. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 21st May 2018, 09:39   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't find the Brezza AMT anywhere to test drive. I've decided to sell the Ertiga and get a replacement for it. Problem is, the only car that can replace an Ertiga other than an Ertiga is Innova and the automatic variant is way above what I am looking to spend. I really need an automatic car.

How's the Hexa automatic?
Hexa AT is nice a nice car though I feel the difference that you pay for the innova can be justified by the higher resale and the peace of mind associated with the Toyota brand. I feel you should wait for the all new Ertiga since the new car promises to be bigger with the option of a petrol AT and maybe a diesel AT too I feel it would be a good upgrade for a reasonable budget. Another option is the latest XUV 500 though it can't carry 7 people and luggage. If you require the 7 seater option very frequently then it may not be the best option. You should wait till the launch of the ertiga and then take a call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks