Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2015, 12:42   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Thanks GTO.

The last month has been a busy one in the AT space. Started with the Figo DCT and the TUV. Now we have the Baleno, Ertiga and the Wagon R/StingRay AMT (Expected to launch in the next few days). Since a comprehensive guide should always reflect the latest information. Have made updates to the first posts of the thread. Following are the additions
  • As mentioned Baleno CVT and Ertiga AT added into the summary charts.
  • Have also added the Wagon R and StingRay AMT. These are not officially launched yet, but most information is available.
  • Have attached the Excel I am using in the opening post. Thought it would be helpful for readers to do their own filtering and analysis.
  • Few other updates to the contents to reflect recent changes.
  • Added couple of new ownership reports (Eg: methecupid's Figo DCT Ownership Link)
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 14:45   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

With the Ertiga, we get the first 7 seater Petrol AT MPV.
Good move by MSIL. There aren't too many choices for automatic 7/8 seaters.

Hopefully this will force Honda to launch a Mobilio AT.
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:50   #108
BHPian

Wagon R AMT Pictures have been posted by a member in the wagon R AMT Thread. Please use those instead of the ones used.

I am currently contemplating between a Wagon R AMT VXi(O) option and the Hyundai Grand i10 AT. The price difference due to competitive quotes from Hyundai is only 50K. I am confused. While the Wagon R would have the safety features, it is still an old car - where as the i10 Grand, is the latest offering packed with features but without any of the safety features.

I also read somewhere that the gear box if failed on the grand, cant be repaired where as the AMT one should ideally be more easier, given that it is just the same as a manual one.

The daily expected running will not be more than 5 Km a day - as it is meant for my wife for school duty and maybe some local shopping - save for the days when I decide to take it to office and it might log some good mileage then.

Given all this, we went for an extended test drive yesterday - driving all the cars. Starting off with a Celerio AMT, followed by Alto AMT, and Wagon R (Manual - AMT was not available for a test drive) - the Grand i10 AT will be driven this week, as it was not available at the dealership. While I liked the Wagon R, my wife preferred the Alto because of its very compact dimensions.

I also felt quite comfortable in the ALTO, but I do not think it is worth given the meager price difference (1 L) between the Nano on the lower end and Celerio / Wagon R on the higher end also given the fact that the ALTO is basically a bare bones setup where as the Wagon R VXi is definitely loaded with all the goodies. The only factor in the alto is in my opinion it has the best power to weight ratio and a fully loaded car with 5 people (as it was during the test drive) was quite comfortable.

Which one do I choose, the Wagon R is definitely appealing to the head - I think it would be a better buy than the K10 definitely and would be better suited for some long highway drives - and the Celerio anyways does not come with ABS - and has an equal or more waiting. I do not think that my wife likes the Wagon R that much - though she says that it is also fine. I think her choices if given would be k10, followed by the Celerio and lastly the wagon R. And then there is this absolutely tempting offer of the Grand i10.

Another reason my head says the Wagon R (in addition to the safety features) is that I believe it would be easier for my parents to get in and out of the car than any of the other cars mentioned here.

If I have to go for something without the safety features, even the Grand i10 looks very attractive with the convenience features such as keyless entry, push button start, etc - for a premium of around a lakh on maruti with no safety features.

What are your views?

The quoted on road prices are:-

K10 - 4.5 Lakhs (approximately) - Immediate (5-6 days) delivery assumed
Celerio VXi - 5.50 Lakhs (10 K discount) - Immediate (5-6 days) delivery
Celerio ZXI - 6.04 Lakhs (No discounts) - Delivery in 2-2.5months
Wagon R VXI ( No airbags, ABS) - 5.55 Lakhs (10K discount) - Immediate (5-6 days) delivery
Wagon R VXI (o) - With airbags and ABS - 6.10 Lakhs (No Discounts) - Delivery in 2-2.5 months
Grand i10 AT - 6.60 Lakhs. - Immediate (5-6 days) delivery

Last edited by an_and : 23rd November 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Added delivery details
Old 23rd November 2015, 13:44   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
What are your views?

Wagon R VXI ( No airbags, ABS) - 5.55 Lakhs (10K discount) - Immediate (5-6 days) delivery
Wagon R VXI (o) - With airbags and ABS - 6.10 Lakhs (No Discounts) - Delivery in 2-2.5 months

Spoilt for choices aren't we who would have thought some time ago that we would get these many choices in almost similar price change.

Coming back to topic, my pick would be the Celerio Vxi followed by Alto. IMO Celerio has the right balance of power, looks, drivability and looks like a VFM offering. Alto comes a close second as your useage will be quite low, returns good mileage figures and is cheapest of your choice.
BaluJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:30   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
What are your views?

Honestly, if you are reaching the Grand i10 territory, probably worth looking at the Micra and Brio also. Since they are not hot selling, should be available with good discounts. Especially the Micra- Well loaded with comfort and safety features.

Just from this list, does the Alto also come with the safety pack now? (There was an article around it), If so, would recommend that. Else the Wagon R with Airbags and ABS.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:44   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, if you are reaching the Grand i10 territory, probably worth looking at the Micra and Brio also. Since they are not hot selling, should be available with good discounts. Especially the Micra- Well loaded with comfort and safety features.

Just from this list, does the Alto also come with the safety pack now? (There was an article around it), If so, would recommend that. Else the Wagon R with Airbags and ABS.
Just reconfirmed the pricing. Alto is priced at 4.83 (including 10 k discount), so there is no point in even considering it. Right now it's only Hyundai who is offering a good discount. Brio and Micra both are going above 7 L And I want to cap my budget at 6.5. I started with the Nano at 3.5.

Alto does not come with any Safety pack and it seems to me that the MARUTI dealer is also trying to push cars without the safety features, and trying to scare away customers with statements like it will take 2-2.5 months at a minimum, etc.

The Logical Me also says Wagon R VXi(o) though I am seriously tempted by the creature comforts of the i10.
an_and is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 18:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:

Only the manual Alto comes with safety kit - not the auto box
BaluJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 17:42   #113
Senior - BHPian

Guys I test drove the Polo GT TSi yesterday.

After driving the i20 for almost 5 years, my hands are itching for something that would push me back into my seat. '5 year' crisis I guess. The i20 is so sedate and problem free. It is so reliable and sedate that it has started to feel a bit boring now. I need drama. I want something that would make me wake up in the morning and go to office. I am 26 and i20 makes me look old. :(
Considering this I checked out the Polo and the car somehow did not strike a chord. Its well built and that 7 speed DSG is really good. Other than that 'I felt' and dont kill me for saying this it is a pretty ordinary car. It felt a bit claustrophobic even from the driver's seat. I did not care to check the rear seats because I dont get in there. Selfish. But then if not the Polo which other car would fulfill my needs ? Oh, I also need an auto transmission. The traffic has gotten worse. I guess it leaves me with just the Polo Tsi at INR 9.74 OTR(no discounts).

I have not made up my mind yet but is it really a good option ? Has the car been reliable (e.g. DSG transmission) considering its been in the market for more than 2 years ?

I dont recall hearing about any major issues about the gearbox. Also, I travel a lot which means the car will only be used for 10-12 days a months. Is it a good thing for German cars (read the Tsi Polo)?
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2015, 18:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
The i20 is so sedate and problem free. It is so reliable and sedate that it has started to feel a bit boring now. I need drama.

Does that mean you're okay to live with a car that might spend a lot of time in the workshop?
I'm not saying that the Polo is unreliable, but it doesn't define reliability.

It might leave you with public transport to commute. The Polo GT TSI isn't as reliable as the i20, nor will it be.

Quote:
I guess it leaves me with just the Polo Tsi at INR 9.74 OTR(no discounts).
Considered the Figo AT? There's an ownership review on team BHP
Old 6th December 2015, 20:34   #115
Senior - BHPian

Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & E...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Does that mean you're okay to live with a car that might spend a lot of time in the workshop?
I'm not saying that the Polo is unreliable, but it doesn't define reliability.
It might leave you with public transport to commute. The Polo GT TSI isn't as reliable as the i20, nor will it be.
Considered the Figo AT? There's an ownership review on team BHP

Haha. I ran straight into that one. �� I meant it's boringly easy to live with. Also with not much modifications that you can do it is losing its visibility in my life.
I am aware that VW in India are not as reliable as a Hyundai. The i20 has never given me any major problems. And i don't see any other car (other than the elite i20) that fits the bill. Then again I won't get the performance kick out of the elite i20. ��

Regarding the Figo, are you sure about Ford's A.S.S.?

Last edited by ampere : 18th January 2016 at 11:51. Reason: Edited quoted content
Old 6th December 2015, 21:22   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considering this I checked out the Polo and the car somehow did not strike a chord. Its well built and that 7 speed DSG is really good. Other than that 'I felt' and dont kill me for saying this it is a pretty ordinary car. It felt a bit claustrophobic even from the driver's seat. I did not care to check the rear seats because I dont get in there. Selfish. But then if not the Polo which other car would fulfill my needs ? Oh, I also need an auto transmission. The traffic has gotten worse. I guess it leaves me with just the Polo Tsi at INR 9.74 OTR(no discounts).
If the Polo does not excite you, then from an AT perspective, there is nothing else under 10L that will work for you. The Polo is the best you can get. Maybe TD's a couple of other AT's will give you a better perspective. The Polo is definitely cramped and that may have put you off.

The only other really exciting Hatch out there is the Abarth Punto. But that's a manual.

The Polo 1.8 GTI coming next year will probably give you the feel you are looking for. But pricing is expected to be way too high.
Old 6th December 2015, 21:45   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Polo 1.8 GTI coming next year will probably give you the feel you are looking for. But pricing is expected to be way too high.

I don't mind if the car is worth that much money. But considering its VW and it's India I believe we will be left asking for more.
Old 6th December 2015, 22:03   #118
BHPian

Nice compilation Rajeev sir!

I would like to point out some errors:
The Grand i10 does come with ABS.
It also comes with gear indicator.
BTW, a month ago, before buying the Gi10, I went to 2 Maruti Showrooms and both the SA's said that the Ritz AT is already discontinued Also, There are 2 ownership reviews on the Honda Jazz CVT. Would be nice if you can correct these errors!

Thanks.

Last edited by The Dude : 6th December 2015 at 22:05.
The Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 11:11   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan's Valet View Post
Nice compilation Rajeev sir!

I would like to point out some errors:
The Grand i10 does come with ABS.
It also comes with gear indicator.
BTW, a month ago, before buying the Gi10, I went to 2 Maruti Showrooms and both the SA's said that the Ritz AT is already discontinued Also, There are 2 ownership reviews on the Honda Jazz CVT. Would be nice if you can correct these errors!

Thanks.
Thanks for the feedback. At the time of writing there were no Jazz CVT ownership reports. Will get them added. Will request for removal of the Ritz(But we have not seen an official communication from Maruti on this)

On the ABS, as per the official site, ABS and Airbags are available only in the Asta (O) variant. The AT is available only in the Asta which does not come with ABS or Airbags. Can you share the source of the info?
Old 7th December 2015, 17:51   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & E...

Quote:
Regarding the Figo, are you sure about Ford's A.S.S.?
I am not sure how it is in Kolkatta, but Ford A.S.S > VWAG A.S.S for most part!

Re: your dilemma - the GT TSi is the most fun to drive auto in that budget, but that's where it ends. Interiors, features, etc. aren't anything great compared to the Hyundai you are graduating from.
I would instead recommend picking up a pre-owned vehicle - none of the ATs are fun and reliable though - just keep that in mind!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks