Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 18:01   #241
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
How about the I10 automatic? Mileage is a bit low, but it drives very well. In any case it is way ahead of AMT.
Yes, a good option indeed. Low mileage can be a challenge though if your daily run is high. Comes with torque converter gearbox which has excellent drivability. The only issue I see with the grand i10 and Xcent is the annoying issues with the ac. Our Grand i10 (including Xcents) suffers from hissing noise and frequent ac tripping. HASS has no clue about it and often terms it 'normal' which, ofcourse, isn't. You may read more about this issue on Team-BHP and other forums.
Old 13th March 2018, 21:46   #242
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Are AMT's so bad in Swift? I am planning to buy my first Automatic car (its for wife) and was planning to book Swift VXI AMT. However after reading through some of the comments below, i am now confused. Yes test drive will help, but since its my first Auto car, i might not be able to make much comparison between AMT and CVT. Also this car will be used 2-3 times a week only as my wife works from home most of the time. Dont want to buy manual as my wife wants to get used of Auto as the primary car of the family would soon be a new XUV or Endy (both Auto).

I can stretch my budget a little and go for Baleno CVT, but i feel it looks OLD. Swift is fresh and saves me around 80K.

What to do?
Switching from a hatch to suv in the future, might not be a easy transition.
If you are not averse to take a preowned route, an AT sedan is an option.
Amt certainly is inferior compared to other forms of automatic.
As you TD swift amt and a Baleno cvt, you will immediately realise it.
Honda Brio if you still want a Hatch. Jazz if a bigger hatch.
Old 19th March 2018, 23:06   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Hopefully the above post would have given readers a good picture on the types of transmissions, the available cars and variants, and key technical specification.
Can we expect a 2018 version of Automatic Cars under Rs.10 Lakhs (ex-showroom) anytime soon? Would love to know how to Automatic car market has evolved in these past years compared to when you started this thread. With ever increasing vehicular numbers in many cities, automatics are the need of the hour, and many people including me are on a lookout for automatics as their next vehicle.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 20:10   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Can we expect a 2018 version of Automatic Cars under Rs.10 Lakhs (ex-showroom) anytime soon? Would love to know how to Automatic car market has evolved in these past years compared to when you started this thread. With ever increasing vehicular numbers in many cities, automatics are the need of the hour, and many people including me are on a lookout for automatics as their next vehicle.
Completely agree. Hope this becomes an yearly review like Automatics Under 10 & 20 lakhs. There is lot of room for change and development in my view.
anand_hc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 17:16   #245
BHPian

Now that Grand i10 sportz AT has got airbags and ABS, it should be the most value for money automatics available under 10 lacs on road in Bangalore. Any comments?
It has touch screen, Android auto/ carplay and rear view camera as well at approx 8 L on road. Not to mention the superb TC gearbox. I felt like driving an automatic scooter with no gearshift jerking.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2018, 02:47   #246
Team-BHP Support

Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & E...

We are currently actively contemplating a small car to replace our City A/T (this is a 2009 Nov model run 108,000 kms - bought pre owned when it was less than a year and < 9000 kms old). The idea is that the 3 GT will be the big primary diesel car that will do the bulk of running while the hatch will do everything else we don't want to do in a big car. We prefer a hatch to any sedan for this replacement and a compact size hatch is desirable over bigger hatches since my 70 years plus mum also wants to drive around and has a preference for more compact easy to manoeuver and park hatches. Budget is ideally 7-8 lakhs although we can stretch to 10 if we have to. Here is how we approached it.

First - what gets ruled out:

All AMTs. Having gotten used to driving City / Civic / BMW Automatics, I simply do not feel like owning an AMT automatic. Period. Has to be TC, CVT or any other except AMT.

Also ruled out are any Nissan Renault family car (I think the Micra was a CVT, even though Kwid was a AMT).

What’s left:

Ideally (in budget):
Brio
Grand i10

Stretch budget:
Jazz
Figo DCT
i20
Baleno

For us, the price and size of the i10 is better suited to i20. So the i20 was 100% ruled out. Mum drove the Baleno CVT and didn’t like it at all. I didn’t cross question - she goes by a lot of “feel” as a combination of ease of manoeuvring, driving smoothness, seating ergonomics etc.

The i10 felt perfect in every sense. The only hesitation is the FE. My mum would prefer her car to be as fuel efficient as feasible and we've heard horror stories of Hyundai A/T efficiency. The other big advantage is that its just undergone a facelift so its the only car that we're getting that post recent facelift and still coming with heavy discounts.

The Brio and Jazz felt smoother to drive. While she preferred the Brio drive over the i10, the absolutely difference was not stark and the size of the Brio is just a complete deal breaker. It is simply TOO small since this will be self as well as chauffeur driven. Even the boot is tiny - relevant because my mum does occasionally get driven to Pune in her car. Other downsides - both Jazz and Brio will pretty soon come with major facelifts or even model change. Same for Figo although we haven't even driven it. We ideally want to make the switch now and not wait indefinitely for a facelift - not to mention even if we were to wait we would not get all the discounts we are currently getting.

One interesting fact: I spent some time in the back seat of the Grand i10, Brio and Jazz. I found the Grand i10 back seat the most comfortable. The ergonomics of the Jazz seemed off somehow (too upright and distinctly lacking underthigh support - less said about Brio the better). The Grand i10 felt more comfortable than both of the above BY A DISTANCE. Very surprised by this. I just wish it had a 5 speed instead of 4 speed but again not something I can't live with.

All in all - it seems to be veering towards the Grand i10 for all the above reasons.

We did consider pre owned as well but the kind of value dealers are giving for my City is WAYYY more than what any second hand car dealer was offering. I saw a few good Polo GT TSis too (including one that was a few months and 3000 kms old for just under 9 L) but given that a lot of Badli drivers also often drive my mum, I feel very nervous about such guys handling a DSG gearbox. Add to that a preowned (for the 2 yr old Polo options) VW with DSG - it simply didn’t feel prudent for our requirement of a reliable fuss free city runabout which we want to hold for 7-10 years in total.

PS: On a side note, I am really pleased with the economics of how we bought and used the City AT. Purchased for a decent discount when it was under a year and 9k kms old. Used for a solid 8.5 years after purchase and up to 100k + kms. This is really extracting full value from the car. We did consider a lot of second hand options again but the extra features on some of the facelift or newer cars combined with the discounts and tremendous additional resale value they are offering on my City just pushed us to buy the new car anyway. It seems like we will own the new hatch for at least 7-9 years so I don't mind putting that little extra and just buying new anyway.

More updates on this thread later. These things can end up anywhere (status quo included)!! :-D

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th June 2018 at 02:58.
Old 25th June 2018, 11:55   #247
Oxy
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & E...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
We are currently actively contemplating a small car to replace our City A/T

For us, the price and size of the i10 is better suited to i20. So the i20 was 100% ruled out.

The i10 felt perfect in every sense. The only hesitation is the FE.

One interesting fact: I spent some time in the back seat of the Grand i10.

The Grand i10 felt more comfortable than both of the above BY A DISTANCE.

All in all - it seems to be veering towards the Grand i10 for all the above reasons.
You clearly are sold on the i10. I think you won't go wrong with the Sportz AT. If the car is going to be used as a secondary one for running errands, the low FE should not be a deal breaker.

If still you think the FE is a crucial parameter, I'd suggest take a good hard look at the recently launched i20 CVT.
Old 25th June 2018, 12:36   #248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
You clearly are sold on the i10. I think you won't go wrong with the Sportz AT. .

Thanks Oxy. We actually booked the i10 grand sports AT. It has some minor recent spec additions too. Getting a May 2018 car. Traded in City to dealer.

I have more details to provide on this which I will do post delivery. Expected in 8-10 days I think.
Old 21st November 2018, 10:46   #249
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I need some help from the gurus here for choosing an automatic car for a friend of mine.

Requirements:
1) Petrol
2) Hatchback
3) Automatic
4) Under 10 lakhs
5) Her first car so it should be easy to drive and park
6) Reasonable fuel efficiency and service costs

Now let me also tell you the cars which we have already removed from our list:
1) Baleno - Build quality is horrible
2) Swift - Same as above
3) Micra - Nissan brand right now does not evokes confidence

I am leaning towards Tiago XZA or Ford Figo (if it comes in petrol automatic).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st November 2018, 19:30   #250

Hyundai Grand i10 automatic would be a great buy considering your friend's requirements and the not so good feedback of Tiago AMT owners. Also, the Figo with its dual clutch auto will be expensive to buy (if you are able to source one) and may be even more expensive if the transmission goes bad when out of warranty. You should also get a good deal on the grand i10 these days. I am being offered a cash discount of Rs.65 thousand which is translating to on road price of Rs.6.50 Lakhs for the grand i10 AT (magna variant) in Jaipur.
The Grand i10 AT in its current avtar is the last hatchback to come with a Torque Converter and looking at market trend, it may soon be discontinued (the transmission) in favour of AMT or CVT.
I would say, go-enjoy a jerk free/smooth automatic transmission experience in a hatchback before it's no more available!
Old 26th November 2018, 11:29   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFT View Post
Hyundai Grand i10 automatic
I would say, go-enjoy a jerk free/smooth automatic transmission experience in a hatchback before it's no more available!
Thanks buddy. I'll surely take this into consideration. By the way we are also looking towards Amaze and Nexon as non of the hatchbacks were presenting a powerful case for themselves.

Amaze seems to satisfy all the requirements (except being a compact sedan) but since it is below 4m, it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Old 27th August 2019, 09:35   #252
BHPian

I would appreciate any feedback regarding the Ford Figo Automatic (TC Based) and how does it match up against the other automatics under 10 lakhs budget.
dpkbehera is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks