Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 15:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage and Classic Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
There is a green one in Pune that is owned by Mr.Amulya Dhanukar. The car was pretty much intact. It was missing a starter or a dynamo. Don't remember exactly. Have pics of that car but cannot upload them.
Amulya's car is not a 48 or 49, it is a earlier Rover. A Rover P3 has to be postwar made between 1948 and 1949. So quite rare
Old 10th April 2012, 17:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

There is a blac P3 with Rashed Bhai's collection in Hyderabad. I am not clear but if I remember correct there was a white one in Secunderabad too !
Old 10th April 2012, 17:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you so much for the pictures, much appreciate.
I am in the process of acquiring a P3, the car is in a very bad state and requires
too many parts , if all goes well and I am succesful in securing the car then I might have to travel to Kolkatta for reference.

regards
Kartik
Old 11th April 2012, 10:34   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is another picture of the Rover of Mr.Sarojesh Chandra Mukerjee.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage and Classic Rovers-rover.jpg  

Old 12th April 2012, 17:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

A very early Rover owned by Mr Dhondy made an appearance at a recent VCCCI rally at Mumbai. (Pic courtesy Karl)

I am told this is among 3 surviving cars, I don't know how true that is. Does anyone have any history on this particular car.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage and Classic Rovers-rover04.jpg  

Old 12th April 2012, 18:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A very early Rover owned by Mr Dhondy ...I am told this is among 3 surviving cars....any history on this particular car.
This car was yellow in colour, owner lived on Walkeshwar road, suddenly sold and then resold to Mr. Dhondy.
Car was displayed in the lobby of Oberoi Towers some decades ago when the rally was held nearby.
I believe that there are more than 3 survivors, but less than 10.
When I find I will post a picture of the car when she was yellow.

Cheers harit
Old 12th April 2012, 18:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Does anyone have any history on this particular car.
I recall an interview where Mr. Dhondhy mentioned the car was owned by a Parsee gent who bought it new, and used it till the day he died, decades later. The car was bequeathed to his mechanic, from whom it was acquired.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Here is another picture of the Rover of Mr.Sarojesh Chandra Mukerjee.
This car was really lovely. I remember the sliding metal sunroof was also functional and with the spare tire cover at the back and the light tan interiors the car stood out. In fact, my father actually made and offer to Mr.Mukherjee to buy the car though he declined. This was about 10 years or more ago.

Thereafter, the car was never seen in the Kolkata Rally, so I presume that it left the city.

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 13:25   #54
BHPian

There is a blac P3 with Rashed Bhai's collection in Hyderabad. I am not clear but if

Dark Green Rover: My uncle used to have Dark Green Rover in 70's, probably this model was early 40's, I did not remember. My uncle told me
this is special Rover, some nawab brought from England after completing his studies, I was too small to remember. But this car was dark green in colour, very silent, it has majestic wooden dash, very heavy car and body style similar to Bentley, when it is started it is so silent, you need to touch the body to feel the engine is running. This Rover was never seen again, may be Wasif or DKG might have seen it.

Would be glad to know where it is now! I hope it will be in somebody's collection.

Cheers!
Old 16th April 2012, 16:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: There is a blac P3 with Rashed Bhai's collection in Hyderabad. I am not clear but

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Dark Green Rover: My uncle used to have Dark Green Rover in 70's, probably this model was early 40's, I did not remember. My uncle told me
this is special Rover, some nawab brought from England after completing his studies, I was too small to remember. But this car was dark green in colour, very silent, it has majestic wooden dash, very heavy car and body style similar to Bentley, when it is started it is so silent, you need to touch the body to feel the engine is running. This Rover was never seen again, may be Wasif or DKG might have seen it.

Would be glad to know where it is now! I hope it will be in somebody's collection.

Cheers!
What kind of Rover was it, was it a thirties sedan ?
Old 16th April 2012, 18:14   #56
BHPian

I think this Rover was post war probably between 1945-48, sedan, 6-Cylinder, 4 doors, original with all the fixtures. Pictures of similar car was attached herewith for example from prewarcar.com

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage and Classic Rovers-2582826.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-2582828.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-2582834.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-2582830.jpg  

Old 17th April 2012, 10:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

It was with a broker hear Nagarjuna Hotel for a long time....went to Bangalore, not sure where it is now....it was in primer when I saw it
Old 19th April 2012, 12:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

A Rover in Bangalore, featured in an "Lifestyle" article on yahoo.com on the collection of Mr. Sulaiman Jamal. Copied the text:

Car: Rover 12 Sports
Year: 1947
Owner: Air Commodore Sitaram
Story: The Jamals were living in Indiranagar, Bangalore and had no clue that they had a vintage car in the vicinity, a Rover 12 sports. Luckily for Sulaiman, the owner Air Commodore Sitaram, told his sister that he hardly used it and wanted to sell it. They snapped up in the car in a jiffy
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage and Classic Rovers-rover.jpg  

Old 19th April 2012, 13:02   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A Rover in Bangalore, featured in an "Lifestyle" article on yahoo.com on the collection of Mr. Sulaiman Jamal. Copied the text:

Owner: Air Commodore Sitaram
Story: The Jamals were living in Indiranagar, Bangalore and had no clue that they had a vintage car in the vicinity, a Rover 12 sports. Luckily for Sulaiman, the owner Air Commodore Sitaram, told his sister that he hardly used it and wanted to sell it. They snapped up in the car in a jiffy
The car was sitting in a dealership in Whitefield much before that. To give some history, the car was owned by a doctor who had a big clinic in Fraser Town. He had it when abroad (UK and Bahrain) and brought it back. He died in his nineties very recently and must have sold the car at some point in time
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 17:35   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

The car featured in your post is Rover P4 95/110 , probably from 1964.

cheers

Kartik

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 19th April 2012 at 17:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks